HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
In two years:

Caufield - Bergeron - Suzuki
Slafkovski - Dubois - Anderson
Drouin - Dach - Gallagher
Armia - Evans - Roy

Guhle - Barron
Matheson - Savard
Edmunson - Hutson

Price
Primeau

2024 Stanley Cup champions

You can bookmark it
Bergeron will end his career in Boston.

One line isn’t going to do it.

Look at our defence right now.
We have 2 years to fix it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It takes two teams to make a trade. If we want Dubois and the rest of the deal is fair, we give Winnpeg whichever center they want other than Suzuki. That choice should not be why the deal does not work.
Peg asked for Suzuki, I very much doubt there is a fair deal to be had. I agree with your premise, however — any of the Habs’ other centres should not be preventing a deal, if it came down to that.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
The FLA-CGY trade is a true blessing for us!

1. FLA got significantly worse (look at that godawful defense... they best pray that Ekblad doesn't get injured yet again this year, because without him - we might actually have a better defense LOL). Honestly, I can see FLA miss the playoffs with their boneheaded moves this off-season (Ottawa, Toronto, Tampa, and Boston look much better than Florida). Huge yay for us!

2. FLA trading away Huberdeau (with a massive+ no less) means Hubs isn't committed to extending and might have his sights elsewhere. The fact he was not committed to staying with the current Presidents Trophy winners in sunny Florida!? Yup, there's a HUGE chance he's coming home to MTL next year, baby!

3. Dubois wanting to join the Habs too? Ooufff!!! The glory days would be BACK!

Now, let's find a way to clear some cap space and make some trades (most likely to least likely):
Dvorak: I personally see him as being part of the return for Dubois. WPG will need a center. It's up to Dvorak to prove himself "good enough" this season for WPG to want him. This season, we should do everything we can to make him look great, as he's our likeliest chance (along with a solid prospect and other piece) to get Dubois. Maybe Dvorak + cap dump (Armia) + 1 of Mailloux/Harris/Barron (whoever WPG likes most) + a mid-round pick for Dubois?​
Hoffman: he helps us with the tank, and only has 2 years left... I can see us either trading him at trade deadline for not much, or wait till off-season and hopefully dump him for future considerations.​
Armia: hopefully he bounces back, or some GMs find his size valuable... Don't have much hope for a trade at this moment, unless included in another "bigger" trade as a cap dump.​
Gallagher: loved him for so long, but 5 more years at 6.5m? I honestly think we are stuck with him.​
Price: the contract, the health issues, will he play or will he not... There's way too much uncertainty moving forward for any team to even entertain taking a risk with him. The only plausible way he gets traded is if he bounces back big time and stays healthy (which hurts us with the Bedard sweepstakes). There's also no way anyone would take him should he LTIR-Retire (he will be owed over 7.5m per year until the 25-26 season).​

Then, there's Allen, Byron, Dadonov, and Drouin who are all becoming UFAs. I don't see any of them return, barring a 180-turnaround for Drouin (whose said to be training his hardest this off-season).

With the cap going up next off-season, and with at the very least $16.77m in cap savings + whoever we manage to trade, we should be able enough to sign Huberdeau (UFA) and extend Caufield. If we can trade away Dvorak++, then we'll also hopefully be able to acquire and extend Dubois.

2022-23 roster (forwards only):

Caufield - Suzuki - Dadonov
Drouin - Dvorak - Gallagher
Hoffman - Dach - Anderson
Pitlick - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta, Byron (LTIR)

Potential 2023-24 roster (forwards only):

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Huberdeau - Dubois - MTL 2023 1st/Dach
Farrell - Dach/MTL 2023 1st - Anderson
Pitlick - Evans - Gallagher

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
One line isn’t going to do it.

Look at our defence right now.
So you're assuming Slaf is a bust since he isn't good enough to play on the 2nd line? What's the point of tanking and "rebuilding" if you draft players that aren't good enough top 6 players at 1st OA?

Huberdeau-Suzuki-Caufield
Slafkovsky-Dubois-Anderson
Pitlick-Dach-Gallagher

Don't see the one line team here and also we will have another high 1st next year.

Defense definitely needs work but every playoff team has made multiple moves for key dmen. Avs traded for Toews and Girard. Tampa for McDonagh, Sergachev and Cernak. Toronto for Muzzin and signed Brodie. Carolina for Burns/Hamilton/Deangelo. Calgary for Hanifin, Weegar and signed Tanev. Rangers for Fox and Trouba. St.Louis for Faulk, Leddy and signed Krug. Bruins for Lindholm. Pens for Dumoulin. LA for Durzi. Nashville for McDonagh. Dallas for Suter.

Guys like Girard and Faulk will likely be traded and there will be others too.

The real issue is the lack of cap space but we have lots of assets that we can use to unload bad contracts. And if we get a guaranteed 1st liner and top 6 C like in this scenario, it's definitely something to do.

Reactions: A Loyal Demidog

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't think signing a 30 year old forward to a long contract with big dollars is a winning move. Would he sign for 4 years for reasonable dollars? I doubt it.

I don'T see Huberdeau wanted to sign with the Habs.....compare to Dubois, he never really hinted at playing for the Habs as a wish. I think whe he'll turn UFS, he'll look for a winning organization more than anything.

Reactions: dinodebino

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don'T see Huberdeau wanted to sign with the Habs.....compare to Dubois, he never really hinted at playing for the Habs as a wish. I think whe he'll turn UFS, he'll look for a winning organization more than anything.
There was an article not too long ago where he said he’d always dreamed of playing for the Habs. We’ll see if that was true or he was blowing smoke up the reporter’s ass.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think signing a 30 year old forward to a long contract with big dollars is a winning move. Would he sign for 4 years for reasonable dollars? I doubt it.

Yeah, it's a toughie. He hasn't made a ton of money in his career. So he may be looking to break the bank.

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
Agreed. We all know PLD wants to play for MTL. Hubby will probably use the Habs to get the best deal possible for UFA like all the others. This is his last contract and a huge payday is on the line. Someone will be willing to pay more than MTL.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Best we're getting for Hoffman or Drouin, if we're lucky, is future considerations; otherwise we may need to throw in a 2nd, which I would not want to do.

Borkstrand went for 3rd & 4th round picks, and he's waaaaaay better. Lmao

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Agreed. We all know PLD wants to play for MTL. Hubby will probably use the Habs to get the best deal possible for UFA like all the others. This is his last contract and a huge payday is on the line. Someone will be willing to pay more than MTL.
I see him landing in LA for some reason.
Or just imagine him resigning with Florida

LOL

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
"«Mais pour l’instant, j’essaye de ne pas penser à ça. Je suis en Floride et j’y ai du plaisir. J’aimerais vraiment participer à un championnat en Floride avant de peut-être aller à Montréal.»"

If Hughes manages one of Huberdeau/PLD or both, then I swear I will finally treat my girlfriends cats with dignity.
You do know kicking her cats out of the room when you're ready to make whoopee is not disrespecting the cats?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is Zito the new Chiarelli??

Tkachuk is a great player, who's 6 years younger than Huberdeau, and signed through his prime now. He's 24! He's a monster at both ends, unlike Huberdeau who is one of the worst players in NHL defensively.

Weegar was absolute dog shit in the playoffs. I wouldn't want to sign him for what he's asking for either (probably $6m+) when he has huge brain camps at key moments in the game.

Florida would be a lot better off it Bob wasn't making $10m, and Zito did not sign that contract Talon did.

Florida's organizational depth is at D, where they have several strong prospects.

Organizationally, this gives them the chance to be better for longer, as the new core (Barkov - 26, Lundell - 20, Reinhart - 26, Verhaeghe - 26, Bennett - 26, Forsling - 26, Ekblad - 26, Knight - 21) are all young enough to still grow as a team together, while Huberdeau is going into the "aging" category in his future.

They gave up some offense to become a much stronger two-way team, which frankly they needed to do.

Zito in no way is even comparable to Chi. Geezus ...

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The FLA-CGY trade is a true blessing for us!

1. FLA got significantly worse (look at that godawful defense... they best pray that Ekblad doesn't get injured yet again this year, because without him - we might actually have a better defense LOL). Honestly, I can see FLA miss the playoffs with their boneheaded moves this off-season (Ottawa, Toronto, Tampa, and Boston look much better than Florida). Huge yay for us!

2. FLA trading away Huberdeau (with a massive+ no less) means Hubs isn't committed to extending and might have his sights elsewhere. The fact he was not committed to staying with the current Presidents Trophy winners in sunny Florida!? Yup, there's a HUGE chance he's coming home to MTL next year, baby!

3. Dubois wanting to join the Habs too? Ooufff!!! The glory days would be BACK!

Now, let's find a way to clear some cap space and make some trades (most likely to least likely):
Dvorak: I personally see him as being part of the return for Dubois. WPG will need a center. It's up to Dvorak to prove himself "good enough" this season for WPG to want him. This season, we should do everything we can to make him look great, as he's our likeliest chance (along with a solid prospect and other piece) to get Dubois. Maybe Dvorak + cap dump (Armia) + 1 of Mailloux/Harris/Barron (whoever WPG likes most) + a mid-round pick for Dubois?​
Hoffman: he helps us with the tank, and only has 2 years left... I can see us either trading him at trade deadline for not much, or wait till off-season and hopefully dump him for future considerations.​
Armia: hopefully he bounces back, or some GMs find his size valuable... Don't have much hope for a trade at this moment, unless included in another "bigger" trade as a cap dump.​
Gallagher: loved him for so long, but 5 more years at 6.5m? I honestly think we are stuck with him.​
Price: the contract, the health issues, will he play or will he not... There's way too much uncertainty moving forward for any team to even entertain taking a risk with him. The only plausible way he gets traded is if he bounces back big time and stays healthy (which hurts us with the Bedard sweepstakes). There's also no way anyone would take him should he LTIR-Retire (he will be owed over 7.5m per year until the 25-26 season).​

Then, there's Allen, Byron, Dadonov, and Drouin who are all becoming UFAs. I don't see any of them return, barring a 180-turnaround for Drouin (whose said to be training his hardest this off-season).

With the cap going up next off-season, and with at the very least $16.77m in cap savings + whoever we manage to trade, we should be able enough to sign Huberdeau (UFA) and extend Caufield. If we can trade away Dvorak++, then we'll also hopefully be able to acquire and extend Dubois.

2022-23 roster (forwards only):

Caufield - Suzuki - Dadonov
Drouin - Dvorak - Gallagher
Hoffman - Dach - Anderson
Pitlick - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta, Byron (LTIR)

Potential 2023-24 roster (forwards only):

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Huberdeau - Dubois - MTL 2023 1st/Dach
Farrell - Dach/MTL 2023 1st - Anderson
Pitlick - Evans - Gallagher
I'm down for this!!

Gally has to give as well. We are going to need to sign Slaf and that 2023 first eventually as well.

My only issue is Hubs.....something about his age is giving me the shivers....he is going to command a 7 year x 9.5 mil salary. At his age....we would get 3 maybe 4 years of value....the back half of that contract would syck ass.

Reactions: A Loyal Demidog

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Tkachuk is a great player, who's 6 years younger than Huberdeau, and signed through his prime now. He's 24! He's a monster at both ends, unlike Huberdeau who is one of the worst players in NHL defensively.

Weegar was absolute dog shit in the playoffs. I wouldn't want to sign him for what he's asking for either (probably $6m+) when he has huge brain camps at key moments in the game.

Florida would be a lot better off it Bob wasn't making $10m, and Zito did not sign that contract Talon did.

Florida's organizational depth is at D, where they have several strong prospects.

Organizationally, this gives them the chance to be better for longer, as the new core (Barkov - 26, Lundell - 20, Reinhart - 26, Verhaeghe - 26, Bennett - 26, Forsling - 26, Ekblad - 26, Knight - 21) are all young enough to still grow as a team together, while Huberdeau is going into the "aging" category in his future.

They gave up some offense to become a much stronger two-way team, which frankly they needed to do.

Zito in no way is even comparable to Chi. Geezus ...
Similar take but better put than what I said in the out of town. I give Fla the win in this trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad