HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Best we're getting for Hoffman or Drouin, if we're lucky, is future considerations; otherwise we may need to throw in a 2nd, which I would not want to do.

Borkstrand went for 3rd & 4th round picks, and he's waaaaaay better. Lmao
I aree for Drouin unless he gets off to a massive, massive start. Too much history of failure.

But Hoffman, whose cap hit is $1M less and who has a track record of scoring consistently mght fetch a player who is also overpriced but plays a different position, and the two clubs win-win due to positional need?! Example: Tyson Barrie in Edmonton has been eclipsed by Evan Bouchard and is overpriced for what he brings, which is a bit less than he used to bring - similar to Hoffman. Neither team co7uld get much of a draft pick straight up for the player, but one against the other might work with a late pick on one side or theother, depending on how the pro scouts value the player they are considering.

Same with an Armia, and his cap hit is even lower and he is 4 years younger than Hoffman.

Lately, when a club has to absolutely dump a guy fast, the return is negative, but if they wait until another club has a compatible need and a player to offer that we could use on the ice, something not bad might happen.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Tkachuk is a great player, who's 6 years younger than Huberdeau, and signed through his prime now. He's 24! He's a monster at both ends, unlike Huberdeau who is one of the worst players in NHL defensively.

Weegar was absolute dog shit in the playoffs. I wouldn't want to sign him for what he's asking for either (probably $6m+) when he has huge brain camps at key moments in the game.

Florida would be a lot better off it Bob wasn't making $10m, and Zito did not sign that contract Talon did.

Florida's organizational depth is at D, where they have several strong prospects.

Organizationally, this gives them the chance to be better for longer, as the new core (Barkov - 26, Lundell - 20, Reinhart - 26, Verhaeghe - 26, Bennett - 26, Forsling - 26, Ekblad - 26, Knight - 21) are all young enough to still grow as a team together, while Huberdeau is going into the "aging" category in his future.

They gave up some offense to become a much stronger two-way team, which frankly they needed to do.

Zito in no way is even comparable to Chi. Geezus ...
Yeah I don't get the comments saying Florida got fleeced. They didn't just get Tkachuk. They got Tkachuk on a long term deal. Huberdeau either wanted to test FA in 2023 or wanted more than they wanted to give. Also the 1st Rd pick isnt in 2023 so it's not as substantial. If Huberdeau plans to leave for FA no matter what, Florida actually got a decent deal

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That’s a bit overblown.

But in any event, Cal will probably sell him at the deadline for a huge huge price.
When was the last time any pending UFA netted a “huge huge price” @ deadline? It’ll be the standard late 1st + mid prospect.

Cgy would be wise to deal Huberdeau this summer for the best return, unless they’re saying “f*ck it, we’re going for it” like CBJ a few years back

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They have to sign Caufield this summer, maybe he bites for fewer dollars...

If they wait till next summer he'll ask for the moon as I can definitely see him scoring 40 goals next season.
I don't see Caufield giving a big discount for signing early but long. He is a very, very confident individual.

Gallagher did it with his first 6 year deal, but in his head he could be saying, "I'm a 5th round pick, I never know when the puck might stop going in for me."

Pacioretty did it too, after being injured big-time once and perhaps worried that the future is not always rosy.

I don't think Caufield would sign a long-term deal for much less than Suzuki did. He might sign cheaper for 2-3 years but not Subban-level cheap bridge contract, after holding out, after a lockout, etc.

I'd say expect to pay big money and be ready to do a deal mid-season once Caufield has had enough games to show his 2nd half last year was not a flash in the pan. Try to sell him on taking a small discount to help us assemble a winning group like Tampa and Colorado have, but "small" is the best one can hope for.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
When was the last time any pending UFA netted a “huge huge price” @ deadline? It’ll be the standard late 1st + mid prospect.

Cgy would be wise to deal Huberdeau this summer for the best return, unless they’re saying “f*ck it, we’re going for it” like CBJ a few years back
When was the last time a 100 pts guy was traded at the deadline?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Florida's organizational depth is at D, where they have several strong prospects.
Can you name these strong defensive prospects? I looked at their pool and if their defense is their depth, god, the Panthers are in a world of hurt.

If you're including the Ds from the last two drafts:
1) As a Habs fan you should've learned by now to not count your chicks before they're hatched. Those players are years away from proving anything
2) The D prospects from the last two drafts are 18-19. We all know it takes longer for defensemen to mature so we're talking about three-four years from making the big show - if they ever make it. If and when that D core makes it, that'll put the young outstanding forward core you mentioned either in their 30s or pushing it.

Reactions: Runner77

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
2023/24 starting lineup with salaries....best case scenario

Hubs (9) - Suzuki (7.87) - Cole (7.87)
Slaf (.950) - Dubois (7) - Bedard (.950)
Anderson (5.5) - Dach (2.4) - Gally (6.5)
Pezzetta (1.4) - Evans (1.7) - Pitlick (1.1)
Ylonen/Heinemen (.9)

Matheson (4.875) - Savard (3.5)
Eddie (3.5) - Barron (.925)
Guhle (.925) - Harris (1.4)
Wideman (.78)

Monty (1)
Primeau (1)

That right there is only ~70 million in cap.

Assuming I undershot on Hubs by ~1 million. Dubois may want around Cole and Suzer. We can make it work.

Some obvious albatross' need to go....drouin...Hoffman....dad....armia....byron.

If we could somehow ship Gally out...we have boat loads of room for Slaf and Bedard (or whoever) when they need their second contract.

We also probably want to make our D better and goaltenders better. Those D men will be due for raises eventually.

What does everyone think about this best possible scenario?

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
2023/24 starting lineup with salaries....best case scenario

Hubs (9) - Suzuki (7.87) - Cole (7.87)
Slaf (.950) - Dubois (7) - Bedard (.950)
Anderson (5.5) - Dach (2.4) - Gally (6.5)
Pezzetta (1.4) - Evans (1.7) - Pitlick (1.1)
Ylonen/Heinemen (.9)

Matheson (4.875) - Savard (3.5)
Eddie (3.5) - Barron (.925)
Guhle (.925) - Harris (1.4)
Wideman (.78)

Monty (1)
Primeau (1)

That right there is only ~70 million in cap.

Assuming I undershot on Hubs by ~1 million. Dubois may want around Cole and Suzer. We can make it work.

Some obvious albatross' need to go....drouin...Hoffman....dad....armia....byron.

If we could somehow ship Gally out...we have boat loads of room for Slaf and Bedard (or whoever) when they need their second contract.

We also probably want to make our D better and goaltenders better. Those D men will be due for raises eventually.

What does everyone think about this best possible scenario?
That’s some pretty questionable goaltending

Reactions: Saxon

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
That’s some pretty questionable goaltending
Agreed. Coupled with questionable D. This roster would have a Quebocois Leafs vibe to it.

Hubs and Dubois would be nice....but we also have some pretty amazing cheaper talent coming up at the forward position (Farrell, Mesar, Roy). Maybe we sign one of Hubs and Dubois to be able to spend a little more at the back end and Goaltending.

I'm nod sold on Hubs at his age. Could be a boat anchor at the back half of that contract.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah I don't get the comments saying Florida got fleeced. They didn't just get Tkachuk. They got Tkachuk on a long term deal. Huberdeau either wanted to test FA in 2023 or wanted more than they wanted to give. Also the 1st Rd pick isnt in 2023 so it's not as substantial. If Huberdeau plans to leave for FA no matter what, Florida actually got a decent deal

They're getting $11m in cap space as soon as next year to help improve D if need. They have no major contracts to sign outside of Knight for the next 2 years.

They haven't given up their #1 forward prospect in Samoskevitch.

They have a young core and good depth at center.

They have become a lot tougher to play against as Tkachuk gives them an inside presence. Huberdeau played perimeter during the playoffs. He was invisible, and Weegar was just brutal.

If you're going to commit 8 years to a player, it's MUCH better to do it with a 24 year old than a 30 year old.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
They're getting $11m in cap space as soon as next year to help improve D if need. They have no major contracts to sign outside of Knight for the next 2 years.

They haven't given up their #1 forward prospect in Samoskevitch.

They have a young core and good depth at center.

They have become a lot tougher to play against as Tkachuk gives them an inside presence. Huberdeau played perimeter during the playoffs. He was invisible, and Weegar was just brutal.

If you're going to commit 8 years to a player, it's MUCH better to do it with a 24 year old than a 30 year old.

That's the risk signing 30 year olds to 7/8 year deals. You most likely get 3-4 years of overpayment, but also when it's 9-10m a year, you can get cap screwed. There's really no need, a 34 year old CG just signed for 6.5m. At least with MK he's signed until 32 so you are getting his prime years now.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Can you name these strong defensive prospects? I looked at their pool and if their defense is their depth, god, the Panthers are in a world of hurt.

If you're including the Ds from the last two drafts:
1) As a Habs fan you should've learned by now to not count your chicks before they're hatched. Those players are years away from proving anything
2) The D prospects from the last two drafts are 18-19. We all know it takes longer for defensemen to mature so we're talking about three-four years from making the big show - if they ever make it. If and when that D core makes it, that'll put the young outstanding forward core you mentioned either in their 30s or pushing it.

They still have:

Max Gildon
Kasper Puutio
Nathan Staois
John Ludvig
Santu Kinnunen
Zachary Uens
Michael Benning

...as defense prospects not accounting for last 2 drafts. They all have some NHL upside either as tough defensive Ds (Ludvig), PP QBs (Staois), transition Ds (Uens, Kinnunen, Puutio) or two-way ability (Benning). Not all are going to make it, but they only need 1-2.

They'll also have $11m in cap space next year to upgrade D.

Reactions: Runner77

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That's the risk signing 30 year olds to 7/8 year deals. You most likely get 3-4 years of overpayment, but also when it's 9-10m a year, you can get cap screwed. There's really no need, a 34 year old CG just signed for 6.5m. At least with MK he's signed until 32 so you are getting his prime years now.

Exactly.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
There was an article not too long ago where he said he’d always dreamed of playing for the Habs. We’ll see if that was true or he was blowing smoke up the reporter’s ass.

French medias ask a not so subtle question about playing in a ''big market''........like all Quebecers who ever been ask that question, Huberdeau answered the same way as all of them cause that's the only answer that can be given.

Huberdeau biggest comments were those about not being able to win in Florida.

He wants to win and not wait 2-3 years before starting to win...he's going to be 30 when he turns UFA, he'll look for a team he consider to be a top contender in 23-24-25 for sure.

Reactions: dinodebino

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
French medias ask a not so subtle question about playing in a ''big market''........like all Quebecers who ever been ask that question, Huberdeau answered the same way as all of them cause that's the only answer that can be given.

Huberdeau biggest comments were those about not being able to win in Florida.

He wants to win and not wait 2-3 years before starting to win...he's going to be 30 when he turns UFA, he'll look for a team he consider to be a top contender in 23-24-25 for sure.

It's written in the stars that the Habs will win Cup #25 in 2025. So Hubidoubidou needs to get on board.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Tkachuk is a great player, who's 6 years younger than Huberdeau, and signed through his prime now. He's 24! He's a monster at both ends, unlike Huberdeau who is one of the worst players in NHL defensively.

...I like Tkachuk, but calling him a monster at both ends is a bit of a stretch; and like the analysis of Weegar, Tkachuk was dogshyte for much of Calgary's Playoffs as well, especially defensively...while he's a ridiculous finisher and a true Power Forward, he doesn't drive play as much as he benefits from good play drivers, so playing him with Barkov is a great idea, but I honestly don't think he ever sniffs 100 points in a season again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad