HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The priority is take anyone of these turds off our roster. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Hoffman absolutely... (ditto Gallagher or Armia)

but Dadonov, Drouin and Byron are all perfectly fine to start the year in Mtl with the hope/patience to see if they can play well enough to boost their trade value and get actual quality assets in return from a playoff focused team looking to bolster their roster or replace injured assets.

If they get injured, suck badly, or simply no trade materializes, that's still 14M$ in cap space created once the season ends, so really no "risk" in holding on to them until something of value gets offered in return.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Of course not, but I was rebutting his priority list.
You must mean “of course.” How could there even be a priority list when we’re at the mercy of third parties. Let them take whoever they want. I don’t see the need for a particular order, esp. in this unforgiving environment.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We just gave up the 13th overall pick + 3rd round pick for Kirby Dach.....think about that for a second.
You should be a whole lot more concerned about that then trading what will most likely be a pick in the low 20's for PLD.

I would have never traded for Dach as a huge Nazar fan, going into the draft I wanted to trade down and take Nazar so clearly at 13th OA I would have just picked him and been thrilled he dropped that far.

Then you have to look at who you could get with wherever the panthers end up, yes it could be in the '20s or they could win the cup or it could be in the teens as I don't think very highly of their coach and you never know with injuries to key players or not. It's a gamble I just wouldn't do for a player that says he wants to play here, for a team that unless Price is healthy and they think the knee will hold up, I would just keep going with the rebuild that I assume will take years to be a contender.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

but Dadonov, Drouin and Byron are all perfectly fine to start the year in Mtl with the hope/patience to see if they can play well enough to boost their trade value and get actual quality assets in return from a playoff focused team looking to bolster their roster or replace injured assets.

If they get injured, suck badly, or simply no trade materializes, that's still 14M$ in cap space created once the season ends, so really no "risk" in holding on to them until something of value gets offered in return.
Would you welcome future considerations in exchange for taking any of these guys off our hands now or do you prefer to hold on to them until the trading deadline and see if you can’t squeeze a pick out of them?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I didn't know they can extend the deadline. I thought it was hard deadline.

From the 2012 CBA:

A Qualifying Offer shall automatically expire at 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 15; provided, however, that the Club may by written notice to Central Registry and the NHLPA, sent in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, provided on or before 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 15, extend the deadline for Qualifying Offer acceptance to a date (which must be a fixed and definitive calendar date) determined in its sole discretion

Reactions: Adam Michaels

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Reaves, Goodrow and Blais were all Drury moves...
That’s not the point. Gorton knows that size is important. It’s how the team he built took the next step. Heck it’s likely why he was fired. You don’t think he spoke about it with his associate GM in May, who in turn made those moves in July?

Look at how the Bruins were built. That has Gorton’s hands all over it too.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I disagree with you there. I think the Habs will trade Anderson.

He won’t hold on to Anderson for a crazy offer but I think they will want to keep him around for a while, as a forward that can play on the top9 with size and grit.

I think Dach (on paper) is good C for a rush offence guy like Anderson. If Anderson scores 20-25g next season he’ll just have more value for a trade (instead of being deemed a 3rd line winger).

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He won’t hold on to Anderson for a crazy offer but I think they will want to keep him around for a while, as a forward that can play on the top9 with size and grit.

I think Dach (on paper) is good C for a rush offence guy like Anderson. If Anderson scores 20-25g next season he’ll just have more value for a trade (instead of being deemed a 3rd line winger).
And the cap will loosen next year I believe. Still I think the Habs might find their deal this off-season for Anderson.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Considering Patches was given for free, I doubt the habs will get an offer that will make them willing to trade Anderson
Unfortunately you might be right but they're also completely different players.

Pacioretty going for free was a real surprise, never seen something like that.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We just gave up a 1st for Dvorak and Dach in the last 2 years, one of them 13th overall.......But oh boy, we shouldn't give away what will most likely be pick #28 for a player that's already a lot better than both of these guys?

Dach doesn't necessarely have more controlled contract years , if they get Dubois, it's going to be for 8 years.......technically Dach can be UFA in 4.
Well the proposed deal is not usually the Florida 1st for Dubois. It's typically the 1st round pick plus Dvorak or Anderson plus Barron or Guhle or Mailloux, so really 3 firsts.

I don't really want to give up the Florida first, but if the deal were Florida 1st plus a B prospect plus Hoffman plus Byron, I'd consider it.

Reactions: Runner77

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
No way the Habs retain on players on the last year of their contract. The goal is to get rid of guys with multiple years like Hoffman. Now if Habs had lots of cap room (Price on LTIR) they could retain on Dadonov for a good return.
Why wouldn’t we not retain to maximize trade value right now, it the final year of the contract there no long term down side, so it doesn’t waste a spot we can retain again next year on a other contract…

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm kind of not sure where you're going with this now. My point was that one can't separate the contract from the player in assessing trade value. You said player A is better than player B so player A should get more than player B was traded for. My point is that it will also depend on their contracts (there are some other factors too, but contract is a big one). I gave Pacioretty as an example but there are plenty of examples. Dadonov was traded to the Habs for a retired player. He was more productive than Kirby Dach last year. There are lots of factors that go into assessing a player's trade value. Definitely how good they are is one, but it's not the only one. That's my point. Feel free to agree or disagree. I'm pretty confident in my assertion, but if you think otherwise that is fine. Take care!

This whole thing started with some people saying it would be a crime to give up FLO 1st round pick for Dubois.....I just disagree with that fact that it would be out of the question, that's all.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

This is the right take. Someone has to score for this team outside Caufield/Suzuki this year. The guys that do so only up their value and can get us more back. No reason to rush things just for the sake of it when we're not even looking to compete anyway.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Why wouldn’t we not retain to maximize trade value right now, it the final year of the contract there no long term down side, so it doesn’t waste a spot we can retain again next year on a other contract…
Yes. In an earlier post I revised my opinion. If by retaining on Dadonov, for example, they can open enough space to sign Dach and get a decent return they should probably do it. This removes the risk that Dadonov regresses and has no value at the trade deadline.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I would have never traded for Dach as a huge Nazar fan, going into the draft I wanted to trade down and take Nazar so clearly at 13th OA I would have just picked him and been thrilled he dropped that far.

Then you have to look at who you could get with wherever the panthers end up, yes it could be in the '20s or they could win the cup or it could be in the teens as I don't think very highly of their coach and you never know with injuries to key players or not. It's a gamble I just wouldn't do for a player that says he wants to play here, for a team that unless Price is healthy and they think the knee will hold up, I would just keep going with the rebuild that I assume will take years to be a contender.

It's also the way the new rankings works.....they might not be strong enough to win the cup but they would be my bet to win our division, placing them automatically in the low 20's range.

Well the proposed deal is not usually the Florida 1st for Dubois. It's typically the 1st round pick plus Dvorak or Anderson plus Barron or Guhle or Mailloux, so really 3 firsts.

I don't really want to give up the Florida first, but if the deal were Florida 1st plus a B prospect plus Hoffman plus Byron, I'd consider it.

I'm going with what we saw in the past, we have very good example of this kind of trade

Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk +1st round pick
Sam Reinhart for Devon Levi and 1st round pick
Jonathan Drouin for Mikhail Sergachev + 2nd round pick

2 of those players asked to be traded, one to a specific team and it also involved the 2 exact same GM and the other mentioned he was not going to sign long term in Buffalo.....All high pick, all in need of a big contract, all with strong season before asking to be traded.

Only difference I see is the Habs needs them to take a contract on top of it.....but the basis for this kind of trade seems to be all similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad