HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The goal right now should be shedding contract Dadonov should be trade ASAP.
We already have to many wingers…
No way the Habs retain on players on the last year of their contract. The goal is to get rid of guys with multiple years like Hoffman. Now if Habs had lots of cap room (Price on LTIR) they could retain on Dadonov for a good return.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No way the Habs retain on players on the last year of their contract. The goal is to get rid of guys with multiple years like Hoffman. Now if Habs had lots of cap room (Price on LTIR) they could retain on Dadonov for a good return.

Uh, I think you have it backwards there. Montreal will absolutely retain on expiring deals, since it creates more flexibility in the future and improves returns. You don't want to retain on long term deals because it locks in the cap inefficiencies over that term. Unless you NEED to get rid of the contract (which Montreal doesn't as they are rebuilding), you don't want to retain long term. That's why Montreal didn't want to retain on Petry but retained on every one of their deadline rentals.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Uh, I think you have it backwards there. Montreal will absolutely retain on expiring deals, since it creates more flexibility in the future and improves returns. You don't want to retain on long term deals because it locks in the cap inefficiencies over that term. Unless you NEED to get rid of the contract (which Montreal doesn't as they are rebuilding), you don't want to retain long term. That's why Montreal didn't want to retain on Petry but retained on every one of their deadline rentals.
Yes but not until later in the season when there's as little as possible left to retain on those expiring deals.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Yes but not until later in the season when there's as little as possible left to retain on those expiring deals.

Maybe. I think it depends on what else is planned. If Montreal can get a good deal for Drouin or Dadonov at 50% retention now, you have to seriously consider it. It lets you sign Dach and bring in a veteran RD like De Haan, Stralman or even Subban on a one year deal to insulate the rookies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The priority is Hoffman, longer contract. At worst Dadonov, Byron, and Drouin's contracts are expiring this year. So at the end of the season if you don't have Hoffman, Dadonov, Byron and Drouin, that's a load of cap space.
The priority is take anyone of these turds off our roster. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
We just gave up a 1st for Dvorak and Dach in the last 2 years, one of them 13th overall.......But oh boy, we shouldn't give away what will most likely be pick #28 for a player that's already a lot better than both of these guys?

Dach doesn't necessarely have more controlled contract years , if they get Dubois, it's going to be for 8 years.......technically Dach can be UFA in 4.
I'm kind of not sure where you're going with this now. My point was that one can't separate the contract from the player in assessing trade value. You said player A is better than player B so player A should get more than player B was traded for. My point is that it will also depend on their contracts (there are some other factors too, but contract is a big one). I gave Pacioretty as an example but there are plenty of examples. Dadonov was traded to the Habs for a retired player. He was more productive than Kirby Dach last year. There are lots of factors that go into assessing a player's trade value. Definitely how good they are is one, but it's not the only one. That's my point. Feel free to agree or disagree. I'm pretty confident in my assertion, but if you think otherwise that is fine. Take care!

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Arizona is ready!

Screenshot-2022-07-22-025821.png

:laugh:
Whoa! Teams have been trading their 2025 2nd rd picks for real? What did we trade our 2024 for?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Maybe. I think it depends on what else is planned. If Montreal can get a good deal for Drouin or Dadonov at 50% retention now, you have to seriously consider it. It lets you sign Dach and bring in a veteran RD like De Haan, Stralman or even Subban on a one year deal to insulate the rookies.
This is true. If they get a good offer now they should probably take it because if Dadonov and/or Drouin don't have a good season they will get nothing.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
We just gave up a 1st for Dvorak and Dach in the last 2 years, one of them 13th overall.......But oh boy, we shouldn't give away what will most likely be pick #28 for a player that's already a lot better than both of these guys?

Dach doesn't necessarely have more controlled contract years , if they get Dubois, it's going to be for 8 years.......technically Dach can be UFA in 4.

Dubois will be much more expensive than both of them at a time when Montreal has no cap space. And that 1st wont even be the biggest piece Montreal would have to send out.

And while Dubois is clearly better than both, he's not close to a slam dunk, especially at what his contract will cost. He's only produced marginally more than Dvorak over the past 3 years and both have overrated defensive games (Dvorak's is probably better). Dubois value is how he can push play offensively and his shot, but he's got a ton of warts too.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It seems Gorton revealed there is more coming this offseason, when he spoke to McCowan.........relax guys we are in good hands.

Can't imagine clearing cap without paying a pick or a prospect to do so..............stay tuned.
I could see a team making room to take on Anderson because of what he can bring

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If you listen to Gorton's latest interview, Anderson's going nowhere. He mentioned that for his teams he likes speed, skill, size, and doesn't like to get pushed around.
Just take a look at the moves they made to make the Rangers bigger after they got their asses beat by the Caps physically. Overpaid for Blais, overpaid for Reaves, overpaid for Goodrow, overpaid for Nemeth.

Gorton is not going to let Anderson go without an absurd package coming back.

Reactions: Guy Larose

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Just take a look at the moves they made to make the Rangers bigger after they got their asses beat by the Caps physically. Overpaid for Blais, overpaid for Reaves, overpaid for Goodrow, overpaid for Nemeth.

Reaves, Goodrow and Blais were all Drury moves...

Reactions: dinodebino and the

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Thing is I don't think Gorton is the one that made those deals, I believe it was Drury since Gorton got fired before the draft/UFA signing period.

But I agree, pretty sure Gorton remembers that night and doesn't want to have that happened here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad