Value of: Trade Leon??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
That's not quite the issue at hand. The issue is crap defense (outside of 1st pairing) and terrible 5on5 play from 2/3rds of the lineup.

I'll just leave this here, as a comparaison, RNH is 63% EV Def on the same team:

draisatljfresh.jpeg
mcdavid jfresh.jpeg

Reactions: binop7

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I would definitely start thinking about it, because if they don't start winning Cups...he and McD are walking as UFA's

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Sounds outrageous I know but could the Oilers get a better deal for him than the Sabres got for Eichel to help fill some chronic holes in the lineup that are keeping this team from becoming a serious cup contender? What do you guys think? o_O
To edm
Chychrun
Keller
Mtls 1st rnd pick
22' zona 2nd rnd pick

To zona
Drai
Yamo
Turris

Drai and yamo pretty well go together and increase both values because then zona isnt searching for a linemate for drai.
Then you turn around and trade for evander kane @50%
Kane-mcdavid-keller
Hyman-nuge-JP

Nurse-Bouchard
Chychrun-Ceci
Keith-barrie(trade barrie a better priced bottom pair dman, lauzon?)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
This trade is so old I don't even remember who the return was anymore....Leclair?

Edit: That seems too old...lol
I don't know that it ever was a trade. I think it was just a standard proposal from Habs fans (maybe before I joined the site but people were still saying it as a joke).

SeanConn

If they get the proper return and extreme value for Draisaitl at what could be a very short peak, it might be very smart to trade him.

However, I think a lot of teams won't be willing to pay "fair value" for Draisaitl, as they may see his success so far as being the product of playing on the same team as McDavid... and if that's the case, I think they better just keep him, since he's clearly an amazing player.

Don't tell me there's not some kind of trade that would make sense for the Oilers to do tho... I just don't think many teams will pay the Oilers what he's worth.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
A lot more Oiler threads lately, this is lending towards being a very interesting panic thread.

Draisaitl is a gamer on an amazing contract, considering what he brings to the Oilers, Drai would be the last player on the Oilers roster that would be considered for trade outside of McBeastie of course.

Edmonton’s problem is the dinosaur GM Ken Holland signing players on contracts that have too much term (see Nurse, Hyman, RNH and Ceci) and not addressing the goaltending situations, having old injury ridden Smith as a starter and leaving Koskinen out to dry with a heavy workload on top of having injured or covy defenseman being replaced in the lineup with inexperienced defenseman that haven’t been developed properly and covy running rampant throughout the roster and it just adds to the misery.

Also doesn’t help having a lot of dead weight on the bottom 6 forwards with McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman and Puljujarvi left to pick up all the scoring from the secondary scoring that Edmonton just isn’t getting with the replacement level players on the bottom 6, only bright spots on bottom 6 would be Ryan McLeod and Foegele the rest are not NHL material.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
They should just try to sign a bunch of KHL guys that want a shot playing in the NHL.

Sniped90

Jul 20, 2010
Sherwood Park
Yes, but nowhere near enough to supplant what Draisaitl already gives Edmonton that allows them to win games currently. If you ask me, they can go deep with the roster they have (maybe just an upgrade on Koskinen for MAF), they just need to stop with the playoff no-show syndrome.

Honestly think zona is the only one that can. Chychrun and keller coming back would help immensely. Then go after kane @50%.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There is probably not a one for one trade or one+ smaller assets that make sense to trade Drai for, and if you trade him for multiple young pieces your pretty much telling McDavid you are rebuilding and they won't be competing until near the time you need to re-sign him. Its essentially a no win situation. Then you get into the fact you locked quite a few guys into deals which are win-now contracts like Nurse, Hyman, and RNH which either have NMC or one's about to kick-in.

Realistically, without a masterstroke of a trade, you aren't getting more value per dollar than Drai on 8.5m which makes it very hard to justify hockey-wise. Politically, it's probably impossible to justify to the one player you want to keep happy. Finally, it's not like there is exactly an easy path to a tear down given the NMC's. It basically puts the Oilers in hockey purgatory, and just hoping they can tweak their team, hopefully find a goalie/coach/gm, and win with it. Because, it will be very hard win a hockey trade trading Drai in the cap world, and I don't think any owner in the league could justify walking away from McDavid/Drai for three more years at their current price points, just hoping to luck out over trying to sell a fanbase on trading two of the absolute best players in the league for a rebuild. Superstars in the cap environment of the NHL are only really meant to be traded in tear down/rebuilds, you don't see Turgeon for Lafontaine type deals anymore.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
If the problem is that the Oiler's lack depth throughout their lineup at this point then shouldn't the first question be why is it that the Oiler's were unable to acquire better depth over the course of their rebu0ilding period (i.e. drafting and developing it).

Looking at the Oiler's draft history over the last ten years and seeing how many successful picks were made outside the first round (i.e. players they drafted and developed that are on their roster and look like good players) makes me think that such a move to trade a player like Leon will simply hurt the team significantly without addressing the core problems that lead to such a move in the first place.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't know that it ever was a trade. I think it was just a standard proposal from Habs fans (maybe before I joined the site but people were still saying it as a joke).

No, it was definitely a trade that ended up being highway robbery. I'll research it and give you an answer now that I have time.

Well shit...it may have been cemented in my mind as real but appears to have actually never happened. I thought for sure it was a real trade, lmao!!

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The league has never had a duo as strong as McDrai that have not won a cup. Furthermore, how many McDavid level players can you think of in any sport that did not win their leagues championship? Certainly none in hockey and the list in other sports is quite short. Winning that draft lottery was the closest thing to a guaranteed cup a team can get, it just always seems to happen for players like McDavid.

Trading either of these two players is the last thing Edmonton would ever do. It will only happen if they force the issue and demand trades.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I would take him in Washington.

Don't think they are going to win the trade if they are trading him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nah that's dumb.

Everyone but McD, Drai, Pulju, and Bouchard should be on the table to be traded though.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I used to think like this. I remember insisting the Penguins trade Malkin in order to give Sid pieces.

Boy was I wrong.

Keep both of your studs and hope you can draft. Your studs, if they truly are studs, will carry the team around them eventually.

Pittsburgh had more around Crosby and Malkin than Edmonton does.

When does McDavid ask for a trade out of Edmonton? This is McDavid's 7th year in the league and Edmonton is not close to being a legit Cup contender with the best player in the world. Edmonton has had 7 years to surround him with the right pieces. 7 off-seasons. 7 drafts. 7 free agent periods.

Pittsburgh had Letang, Fleury and Staal to add to Crosby and Malkin. They also had depth on D which allowed Ray Shero to trade Whitney to Anaheim for Kunitz and Goligoski to Dallas for Neal and Niskanen.

Do you have confidence in Kenny Holland to add the right pieces around his two best players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad