Value of: Trade Leon??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Nah, it wouldn't help. McDavid and Draisaitl is a solid foundation, they just need to fix everything around them, especially the utter lack of leadership and experience.

Basically, the Oilers need to be both aggressive and patient. Aggressive in getting a better GM who can get them a better coach as well as a real goalie while moving picks and prospects to bolster their depth, lack of leadership and clear dead cap space. But they also need to be patient with their top prospects and hope they can come in and be difference makers while still on their ELC's. And if they can do all that, then should be able to open up a legit cup window for a bit.

But thankfully Katz is on the job and will do none of these things.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How? RNH, Hyman, Keith are on NMC:s and Nurses 9,25M NMC contract kick in next year. They have nothing tradeable except thoose prospects and picks and have Yamamoto&Puljujärvi to resign. I doubt there are many takers for Kassian, Foegele etc. This is a cap-league. There is no space for new players if you dont make moves.

Are you under the impression that it costs more than Holloway, Broberg, Bourgault, Yamamoto, 1sts, etc... to move a couple expiring contracts at the deadline, or to get teams to retain some salary at the deadline?

Judging by last year's prices you can get $1m-$2m retained for a 4th round pick.

They have no need to move RNH, Hyman, or Foegele, those are good value. Moving Keith would be nice though, perhaps he'll prefer a trade to going to Bakersfield. If you can get him to agree to it, he only has a $1.5m salary so a non-cap team could be easily persuaded.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
The chronic gaps in the Oilers are due to, in large part, by bad asset management. The draft and development program have been woefully weak and there seems to be a stigma about negative culture. It is the reason why they have overpaid Nurse by a large margin to simply keep him there. The hope is/was to draw others to a team that can contender, however the significant chronic issue will always be there in Oil Country. Trading Leon would literally be more of the same exercise that has got them to this point anyhow.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
upload_2022-1-3_20-1-46.jpeg

images

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Oilers don't need to trade Leon or Connor. Tampa has expensive contracts and even if you take away 1 of them to get rid of the 10million over the cap argument, they're still a team that provides a lot of depth around their good players. Oilers can get by with 2 players taking 20 million of cap space.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers don't need to trade Leon or Connor. Tampa has expensive contracts and even if you take away 1 of them to get rid of the 10million over the cap argument, they're still a team that provides a lot of depth around their good players. Oilers can get by with 2 players taking 20 million of cap space.

Well add Nurse, Keith, RNH and Hyman and thats 25M more next year.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
The top guys are in place (dynamic duo, plus Hyman/ Puljujarvi/ RNH are all scoring at top-6 rates).

Too bad that both goalies aren't really holding it down, and that blueline is about to get really expensive. At least there's Mikko coming off the books to free up $4.5 million, and Turris for his $1.65 million, but it's probably more about replacing the passengers with contributors (cliché as that sounds).

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
If the deal was a massacre for the oilers you would have to look at it, but deals never are with NHL GM’s.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
It's too late in Leon's contract for the Oilers to get real value on the deal. I don't see it.

His contract expires in 2025. If they traded him, his contract would be one of the reasons why he got a ridiculous amount in return. Weird post.

Reactions: spaghtti

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think I keep what's good for them and dump what's not. Top end talent isnt the problem, it's what you do after that is where your gm shows his true value to the organization and helps determine the direction the team goes.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sounds outrageous I know but could the Oilers get a better deal for him than the Sabres got for Eichel to help fill some chronic holes in the lineup that are keeping this team from becoming a serious cup contender? What do you guys think? o_O
Some of you oiler fans don’t realize how fortunate you are to have two such sublime players in McDavid and Drai? These guys are future hall of fame players. You’ll retire their numbers. I’m sure you enjoy watching them. I’m not an oiler fan in the least and I love watching them.

Trading one away seems like insanity to me. Total insanity. Bring in Holloway, trade your 2022 1st for MAF at 50% (see if you can add Strome in that deal) and see how things turn out.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
See what value contracts you can get with Holloway and/or Broberg before you go trading Draisatl. It would be very difficult to win a trade if he's the player going out.

Cloud Over Me

Dec 2, 2021
Get some solid defensive wingers for them. They don't need to setup for wingers, just need ones who can play a sound game. If they don't want to play defense, that's a solution.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Sounds outrageous I know but could the Oilers get a better deal for him than the Sabres got for Eichel to help fill some chronic holes in the lineup that are keeping this team from becoming a serious cup contender? What do you guys think? o_O
You personally realizing the Oilers would get something better than Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, one top 10 protected 1st (that’s going to be a late one) and one 2nd (ditto) for Draisaitl makes this “Speculation”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad