Proposal: Trade: Leafs, Senators blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd accept that trade for Toronto in a heartbeat. Melnyk would like Marner's contract imho, his cap hit is 10.89 but it was front loaded so Melnyk only pays 6.2 for the next 4 years.

True, I looked at it myself this summer, Marner's salary is actually attractive and Sens are one of the very few teams who could "afford" his AAV

IMO, maybe not a lot of people would agree with this (and the Sens themselves), Ottawa could afford this as Marner is a great playmaker and this is a weakness in Ottawa's lineup. They don't have "another Tkachuk", but they still have several players who play balls to the walls, Alex Formenton for example might actually become better than people thought

That being said, it would never happen. I mean, both teams would absolutely hate to see each player go to a direct divisional rival.

The dimension Tkachuk provides would make us a more competitive playoff team. He'll probably sign at least 2m cheaper, and for more years than Marner has left. Frankly, I'd do the trade straight up with no sweeteners coming our way.

Yeah, that's why I proposed it because he could be really key in helping the Leafs to get over their playoffs "psychological barrier", he's the kinda of guy that brings everyone with him to the battle.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
The dimension Tkachuk provides would make us a more competitive playoff team. He'll probably sign at least 2m cheaper, and for more years than Marner has left. Frankly, I'd do the trade straight up with no sweeteners coming our way.
Brady Tkachuk is becoming one of the most overrated players in the league simply because he hits and fights.

You're talking about swapping a 100 point player with a 50 point player.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Brady Tkachuk is becoming one of the most overrated players in the league simply because he hits and fights.

Marner's career high is 94 points and he does not seem to be improving.

Tkachuk imho, will be a 70 point player who brings things we are sorely missing. I don't think there is a gap in trade value, when you factor in that Tkachuk will sign for at least 2m less and be signed for more term.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Tkachuk imho, will be a 70 point player who brings things we are sorely missing. I don't think there is a gap in trade value, when you factor in that Tkachuk will sign for at least 2m less and be signed for more term.

Plus think about Tkachuk's production on Matthews wing

"100 point player with a 50 point player" was completely dishonest. It's not been their paces, one was still just 21 y/o on a rebuilding team and the other is the playmaker for the best goalscorer after (maybe/still?) Alex Ovechkin

Tkachuk-Matthews-Nylander would be a complete nightmare. As a goalie (and I am a goalie), you'd have to worry about Matthews shot and Tkachuk in front of the net at the SAME TIME. Good freaking luck.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Have the Leafs won a cup in your lifetime? How about a playoff series?
This gets old very fast. We get it leafs suck in the playoffs. There’s only so many different ways you can say it to someone who agrees lol.

But still,

Making playoffs > Missing playoffs

Or is it it the other way around. I dunno maybe the facts are different in Sens/Wings land

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

I’m not gonna talk about the value of the trade but it’s nice that you think Marner isn’t improving but some how Tkachuk will improve and they are only 2 years a part. Marner has every chance to improve as much as Tkachuk does.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

Marner scored at a 100 point pace last year which is improvement from his career high. Not sure how much more you expect a player to improve from high 90s points/season though

Reactions: Mitch nylander
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Marner scored at a 100 point pace last year which is improvement from his career high. Not sure how much more you expect a player to improve from high 90s points/season though

I was responding to a poster who called Marner a 100 point player while calling Tkachuk a 50 point player. Need I say more?

Reactions: Xspyrit
Jul 10, 2003
KW
I’m not gonna talk about the value of the trade but it’s nice that you think Marner isn’t improving but some how Tkachuk will improve and they are only 2 years a part. Marner has every chance to improve as much as Tkachuk does.

I believe Marner is 3 draft (development) years ahead of Tkachuk?

So your last comment doesn’t make sense to me. Marner is definitely closer to having reached his ceiling than Tkachuk.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So Ottawa fans think highly of their team. Love to see how they do in the playoffs this year.
So in the past 10 years the Leafs have made the playoffs 5 times and have ZERO series wins. Over the same 10 year span the Senators have made the playoffs 4 times and have 3 series wins. In totally unrelated news your arrogance makes you look like a giant d-bag.

Reactions: SensFactor

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Meh guess I miscounted. My bad. But these are just semantics. We all know the Leafs are shitty chokers in the playoffs. But it’s just too funny to see non playoff teams bragging about playoff success.
Can you show me this part - I didn't read Sens bragging about playoffs but since its "just too funny" I want to laugh too.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
So in the past 10 years the Leafs have made the playoffs 5 times and have ZERO series wins. Over the same 10 year span the Senators have made the playoffs 4 times and have 3 series wins. In totally unrelated news your arrogance makes you look like a giant d-bag.
So how does what 10 years ago dictate what happens this season?

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
It provides a clear history that smug Leaf fans have zero reason to talk playoff smack towards any franchise.
Keep living in the past. I made a comment on this season. You have to bring up the past. Keep running away from the comment

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

95pt player and 55pt player is more accurate.

What does Brady get playing top 6 in Toronto, vs Marner in Ottawa? Curious as to your answer thats all.

Reactions: SensFactor

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

You're nitpicking calling Marner a 100 point player while projecting Tkachuk will blow his career highs out of the water?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad