Proposal: Trade: Leafs, Senators blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Because Tkachuk made it clear to them he doesn't want to be there? Only reason I can think of.
Where did he say this? Similar to other players that have signed bridge deals this offseason, he's betting on himself to be worth even more in 3 years. Doesn't mean he wants out of Ottawa.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Where did he say this? Similar to other players that have signed bridge deals this offseason, he's betting on himself to be worth even more in 3 years. Doesn't mean he wants out of Ottawa.

I didn't say Tkachuk said it. It was an answer to why the Sens would do this deal. If they think Tkachuk wants out now or in a few years, and don't want to lose him for nothing they might think about it.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Yeah, pretty sure Ottawa wants those soft ass players and downgrade from Tkachuck for Nylander lol
I’ve never been very fond of Nylander, always seemed to leave you wanting more. However, he seems to be coming into his own lately. He’ll never play with the edge that Brady plays with, but Brady will never have the offensive potential that Nylander has. I’m expecting a big season from Nylander this year.

WinnieThePooh

Oct 5, 2021
Marner's career high is 94 points and he does not seem to be improving.

Tkachuk imho, will be a 70 point player who brings things we are sorely missing. I don't think there is a gap in trade value, when you factor in that Tkachuk will sign for at least 2m less and be signed for more term.

It's really strange that Marner, in your opinion, won't improve, but Tkachuk somehow has an extra 20-30 points added to his ceiling.

You realize Mitch is 24 and was only 6 points away from 100, right? Last year he was a 100pt pace over 82 games.

If Marner was ever traded for Tkachuk, it would be one of the most lopsided trades in history, especially when you take into account Marner's contract structure.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
It's really strange that Marner, in your opinion, won't improve, but Tkachuk somehow has an extra 20-30 points added to his ceiling.

You realize Mitch is 24 and was only 6 points away from 100, right? Last year he was a 100pt pace over 82 games.

If Marner was ever traded for Tkachuk, it would be one of the most lopsided trades in history, especially when you take into account Marner's contract structure.

Considering that Tkachuk is 3 draft years behind Marner, it's not strange to think he has more room for improvement.

Marner's salary structure would be attractive to Ottawa, but after that, I dont think there would be teams lining up to take on his 10.9m cap hit.

In a vacuum, Marner is and will remain the better player, I'm not disputing that. But if Tkachuk signs for approx 2.5m less and with more term, that becomes attractive to Toronto. It would improve our ability to keep Rielly too, potentially maybe Matthews as well.

WinnieThePooh

Oct 5, 2021
Considering that Tkachuk is 3 draft years behind Marner, it's not strange to think he has more room for improvement.

Marner's salary structure would be attractive to Ottawa, but after that, I dont think there would be teams lining up to take on his 10.9m cap hit.

In a vacuum, Marner is and will remain the better player, I'm not disputing that. But if Tkachuk signs for approx 2.5m less and with more term, that becomes attractive to Toronto. It would improve our ability to keep Rielly too.

Here's a list of the players who have scored more points in the last 3 seasons than Marner:

upload_2021-10-8_12-20-33.png

That's the whole list.

Outside of the few teams that are already Cup contenders with no cap space, just about every team in the NHL would find room for Marner if they could acquire him. 7 players in the entire NHL are ahead of him (probably 2-3 more if you go by P/GP, Kuch comes to mind).

Don't forget he was 21-24 years old during this span.

Brady Tkathuck at 8.4m would be a much, much harder sell for most teams in my opinion.

EDIT: oh and here's the Even Strength list

upload_2021-10-8_12-24-56.png

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If anyone thinks Ottawa would win the lottery and get Marner for Tkachuk, why not ask for McDavid?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Here's a list of the players who have scored more points in the last 3 seasons than Marner:

View attachment 468899

That's the whole list.

Outside of the few teams that are already Cup contenders with no cap space, just about every team in the NHL would find room for Marner if they could acquire him. 7 players in the entire NHL are ahead of him (probably 2-3 more if you go by P/GP, Kuch comes to mind).

Don't forget he was 21-24 years old during this span.

Brady Tkathuck at 8.4m would be a much, much harder sell for most teams in my opinion.

EDIT: oh and here's the Even Strength list

View attachment 468900

I am well aware of Marner's regular season point production. He is an assist machine but not enough of a goal scoring threat, at least, for the contract he is signed to. Putting up high assist totals setting up Matthews or Tavares. His numbers wouldn't be as good on many teams. He dissappears in the playoffs. We are probably going to lose Rielly due to the overpayment of Marner, who positionally is more important to the team. If you are choosing between Marner vs Tkachuk + Rielly which scenario makes us a better team? Granted, Marner alone would cost about 5m less but we won't be able to replace Rielly for that.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
95pt player and 55pt player is more accurate.

What does Brady get playing top 6 in Toronto, vs Marner in Ottawa? Curious as to your answer thats all.
Brady wouldn't get 95 and Marner would get more than 55 I can tell you that much. Maybe add/subtract 10 points would be my guess.

100 points and 53 points are there paces last season as well so it is actually pretty accurate.

Last edited:

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Marner's career high is 94 points and he does not seem to be improving.

Tkachuk imho, will be a 70 point player who brings things we are sorely missing. I don't think there is a gap in trade value, when you factor in that Tkachuk will sign for at least 2m less and be signed for more term.
Marner's point production has literally improved every year and he was at a 100 point pace last season. He's 24.

Brady's career high is 45 points. His highest pace is 53 points. He's 22.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Marner's point production has literally improved every year and he was at a 100 point pace last season. He's 24.

Brady's career high is 45 points. His highest pace is 53 points. He's 22.

Nope, his point production has not literally improved every year. 3 seasons ago, he peaked at 94 points, the year after that he paced for 93, then last year he paced for 100...in shortened season in a weak division. There is a difference between "literally" producing and pacing.

Worth noting, Marner's peak season was his d+4 season, followed by his d+5 and d+6 seasons. Off hand, I don't think Tkachuk has even played in his d+4 season yet, the season that Marner really broke out offensively. Powerforwards are known to be late bloomers.

Anyways, I'm starting to change my mind about this trade proposal, since hearing that Tkachuk has scoffed at an 8x8 contract. I only liked the idea if Tkachuk was signed to a better value contract. It turns out he's just as greedy and entitled as Marner.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Nope, his point production has not literally improved every year. 3 seasons ago, he peaked at 94 points, the year after that he paced for 93, then last year he paced for 100...in shortened season in a weak division. There is a difference between "literally" producing and pacing.

Worth noting, Marner's peak season was his d+4 season, followed by his d+5 and d+6 seasons. Off hand, I don't think Tkachuk has even played in his d+4 season yet, the season that Marner really broke out offensively. Powerforwards are known to be late bloomers.

Anyways, I'm starting to change my mind about this trade proposal, since hearing that Tkachuk has scoffed at an 8x8 contract. I only liked the idea if Tkachuk was signed to a better value contract. It turns out he's just as greedy and entitled as Marner.
Guess you aren't aware the NHL hasn't played 82 games in either of the past 2 seasons.

Are you one of those people who think McDavids 105 points in 56 games last season wasn't impressive because he didn't do it over a full 82 game season? Take a quick YouTube math course or something maybe and you'll be able to tell it was quite a season he had.

Marner was stagnant for 1 year (the big dropoff from 94 to 93 according to you). 65-69-94-93-100. Seems like he has been progressing to me.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Guess you aren't aware the NHL hasn't played 82 games in either of the past 2 seasons.

Are you one of those people who think McDavids 105 points in 56 games last season wasn't impressive because he didn't do it over a full 82 game season? Take a quick YouTube math course or something maybe and you'll be able to tell it was quite a season he had.

Marner was stagnant for 1 year (the big dropoff from 94 to 93 according to you). 65-69-94-93-100. Seems like he has been progressing to me.

Where was I off on my math?

Perhaps you need an English lesson? I'd start with the word "literally".

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Marner at 11 has same value as Tkachuk at 8. I’d wager most GMs would even take Tkachuk, based on what is perceived to be better style of play to win playoff games. Key word is perceived - we haven’t seen Tkachuk in the playoffs. We have seen Marner and we know how that has gone.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Marner at 11 has same value as Tkachuk at 8. I’d wager most GMs would even take Tkachuk, based on what is perceived to be better style of play to win playoff games. Key word is perceived - we haven’t seen Tkachuk in the playoffs. We have seen Marner and we know how that has gone.
The price gap also likely increases in 4 years when Marner re-signs at 12M.

Assuming Brady signs at 8 X 8 also.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Brady wouldn't get 95 and Marner would get more than 55 I can tell you that much. Maybe add/subtract 10 points would be my guess.

100 points and 53 points are there paces last season as well so it is actually pretty accurate.

My guess is Marner hits about 80 in Ottawa because his linemates would be much worse, and Tkachuk hits 70 in Toronto because of centers. I also think Brady ends up with more goals than Marner regardless.

I'll make a poll and see what people think. Just curious

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
The price gap also likely increases in 4 years when Marner re-signs at 12M.

Assuming Brady signs at 8 X 8 also.

Brady already turned down 8x8 what makes you think you can get him for that now?

I think a bridge is the most likely. Not sure someone blinks at this point. Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad