Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Russo, is on Barriero on he said he thinks Fletcher is going to make a big move doesnt know when but said he is going to be forced to because of the lack of depth now at forward

I would not like making a "big" deadline deal 3 years in a row.

Seems like a great way to empty the cabinet.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN

Especially if it's for a rental. When we're not even guaranteed to make the playoffs with or without a trade.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

He was referring to Pominville 2 years ago and Moulson last year as "big" and said he expected Fletcher to make another move. I guess not sure if he meant another big move like that or a smaller type depth move, but he threw out Vermettes name so I guess that would be considered a "big" move because Arizona is likely to wait until closer to the deadline to try to get more for him

Billy Mays Here*

A guy I'd be interested in obtaining is Brayden Schenn. He's been a bit underwhelming in Philly (especially when compared to his pre-NHL hype), but with guys like Scott Laughton and Couturier in their system, he could be available (honest speculation on my end). He definitely isn't the elite #1 center we'd all want, but has the potential (and the size to handle the West) to possibly become one.

I've brought up Schenn and Couts before, as they are particularly interesting targets to me. Two guys who have top 6 potential, but won't have quite the price tag as a RNH or a O'Reilly would. It's a gamble whether they'll turn into a star, but it's probably a better approach than giving up the farm and weakening our team in another area to bring in a no. 1 center.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Who did we trade last year?

So we traded:
Torrey Mitchell
2014 2nd round pick
2016 2nd round pick
2014 4th round pick
Chad Rau

We gained:
Nothing

Mitchell and Rau aren't big deals in the long scheme of things (though Mitchell was another poor signing by GMCF)...draft picks are starting to pile up though...

Since June 2012 when we signed Parise and Suter:

Lost:
Darroll Powe
Nick Palmieri
Matt Kassian
Chay Genoway
Matt Hackett
Johan Larsson
2013 1st round pick
2014 2nd round pick
Justin Falk
Cal Clutterbuck
2013 3rd round pick
Devin Setoguchi
Chad Rau
Torrey Mitchell
2014 4th round pick
2014 2nd round pick
2016 2nd round pick
2015 3rd round pick

We gained:
Nino Niederreiter
Jaosn Pominville
2014 6th round pick
2014 4th round pick
2014 6th round pick
2014 Conditional 7th round pick

Any team is going to lose depth when we trade 11 players (5-7 of which could be considered depth players) and only gain 2 back. Not to mention trading 7 draft picks and getting 4 back.

Get this: we traded a 3rd round pick for Darroll Powe. We then traded Powe and Palm for Mike Rupp and then let Rupp walk. So basically we took a 3rd round pick, turned it into Powe and then turned Powe into Rupp that turned into...nothing.

Why don't we just give our draft picks away because ultimately that's what Minnesota has operating on. Look at Nystrom after his career in Minnesota.

I'm not saying that guys like Larsson, Palms, Mitchell, Powe were going to turn into top 6 forwards. But they were useful depth players that had some purpose on the team. Not only that but we've been bleeding a LOT of high draft picks lately. People complain we can't hit on every draft pick, yeah but it's kind of hard to hit on a high draft pick when you keep trading away your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Last edited:

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
How can you complain about "losing" 4th liners and AHL players
Darroll Powe
Nick Palmieri
Matt Kassian
Chay Genoway
Matt Hackett
Johan Larsson
Justin Falk
Chad Rau
Torrey Mitchell

Cal Clutterbuck
Devin Setoguchi

The last two are the only ones even worth a damn and we didnt lose them. They were traded.

We overpaid for Moulson but at the time it seemed like a good price and risk to take if he could help us make the playoffs and make a run. And we did.

I think I'm going to have to block you. The endless complaining about the GM and moves made bores me and your logic is almost always flawed. Never any solutions or ideas just enormous rambling posts about things from years ago. Derailing every thread from its actual topic. Bye Bye

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Powe is in the AHL
Palmieri is in Europe
Kassian isn't even playing pro hockey anymore from what I can tell.
Genoway is in the KHL, played in 1 whole NHL game!
Hackett tore up his knee and has shown nothing at the NHL level, has played 8 games in the NHL/AHL combined this season.
Larsson is in the AHL, may be a 4th liner in the NHL someday.
We got Falk back, so bully for you I guess.
Clutterbuck is a solid 3rd liner.
Seto is in the AHL in the twilight of his career
Rau is in Europe
Mitchell is an alright 4th liner.

Some real "powerful depth players" there. No team in the NHL wants 4 of them (5 really since Seto is garbage and won't be called up). We got Carter just before the season started, and the only player listed that's better than him is Clutterbuck.

We lost a fair amount of picks the last few years and we should stop doing that, but trying to bring up losing players that are no longer in the league as losing important depth players only hurts your argument.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Bergenheim & McClement are both reportedly on the move, I think we should have interest on both. Depending on the price, I can see them both benefiting this team well, as we are in dire need of capable NHL players in the bottom-6. Both are used to PK duties and are both good at it.

Bergenheim is a winger, so not that much flexibility there, but McClement is at least listed as a center and can win faceoffs so there's that.

I'd give a 2016 4th round pick for either of those guys in a heartbeat, would even add a 2016 7th. If that's too low pick for the Canes/Cats then we need to add some prospects, but we can't lose any more 1st/2nd/3rd round picks.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Bergenheim could be an upgrade for this season's Cooke, but not much more. A 4th for him wouldn't be too much though.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Eller and Emelin are rumored to be available. We could use both guys. I'd even send Dumba+Haula back if the Habs gave us a decent prospect or pick.

Emelin-Folin could be a big bottom pairing.

Eller could bloom with better wingers and Coyle could then be moved back to wing. Eller also has some decent size to him in recent years.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
nino alone over the lifetime of his career will make up for the lost/gained deficit some people seem to perceive.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Bergenheim & McClement are both reportedly on the move, I think we should have interest on both. Depending on the price, I can see them both benefiting this team well, as we are in dire need of capable NHL players in the bottom-6. Both are used to PK duties and are both good at it.

Bergenheim is a winger, so not that much flexibility there, but McClement is at least listed as a center and can win faceoffs so there's that.

I'd give a 2016 4th round pick for either of those guys in a heartbeat, would even add a 2016 7th. If that's too low pick for the Canes/Cats then we need to add some prospects, but we can't lose any more 1st/2nd/3rd round picks.

Would love to see McClement in a Wild sweater. He'd be a great fit to fill our PK back up.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So we traded:
Torrey Mitchell
2014 2nd round pick
2016 2nd round pick
2014 4th round pick
Chad Rau

We gained:
Nothing

Mitchell and Rau aren't big deals in the long scheme of things (though Mitchell was another poor signing by GMCF)...draft picks are starting to pile up though...

Since June 2012 when we signed Parise and Suter:

Lost:
Darroll Powe
Nick Palmieri
Matt Kassian
Chay Genoway
Matt Hackett
Johan Larsson
2013 1st round pick
2014 2nd round pick
Justin Falk
Cal Clutterbuck
2013 3rd round pick
Devin Setoguchi
Chad Rau
Torrey Mitchell
2014 4th round pick
2014 2nd round pick
2016 2nd round pick
2015 3rd round pick

We gained:
Nino Niederreiter
Jaosn Pominville
2014 6th round pick
2014 4th round pick
2014 6th round pick
2014 Conditional 7th round pick

Any team is going to lose depth when we trade 11 players (5-7 of which could be considered depth players) and only gain 2 back. Not to mention trading 7 draft picks and getting 4 back.

Get this: we traded a 3rd round pick for Darroll Powe. We then traded Powe and Palm for Mike Rupp and then let Rupp walk. So basically we took a 3rd round pick, turned it into Powe and then turned Powe into Rupp that turned into...nothing.

Why don't we just give our draft picks away because ultimately that's what Minnesota has operating on. Look at Nystrom after his career in Minnesota.

I'm not saying that guys like Larsson, Palms, Mitchell, Powe were going to turn into top 6 forwards. But they were useful depth players that had some purpose on the team. Not only that but we've been bleeding a LOT of high draft picks lately. People complain we can't hit on every draft pick, yeah but it's kind of hard to hit on a high draft pick when you keep trading away your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Is it your position that the Minnesota Wild are unique in this regard? I think you'll find that every team in the NHL makes about the same number of moves with similar results. In fact, I know they do because I provided proof of this when you went on a similar rant a while back. Sometimes they trades work out, sometimes they don't.

Ultimately, what I look at are results. Fletcher took a bottom dweller and turned it into a franchise that competes and has shown improvement in the last two playoff runs. He's not perfect and has made some mistakes....but I think he is definitely one of the better young GMs in the NHL.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Powe is in the AHL
Palmieri is in Europe
Kassian isn't even playing pro hockey anymore from what I can tell.
Genoway is in the KHL, played in 1 whole NHL game!
Hackett tore up his knee and has shown nothing at the NHL level, has played 8 games in the NHL/AHL combined this season.
Larsson is in the AHL, may be a 4th liner in the NHL someday.
We got Falk back, so bully for you I guess.
Clutterbuck is a solid 3rd liner.
Seto is in the AHL in the twilight of his career
Rau is in Europe
Mitchell is an alright 4th liner.

Some real "powerful depth players" there. No team in the NHL wants 4 of them (5 really since Seto is garbage and won't be called up). We got Carter just before the season started, and the only player listed that's better than him is Clutterbuck.

We lost a fair amount of picks the last few years and we should stop doing that, but trying to bring up losing players that are no longer in the league as losing important depth players only hurts your argument.

This. :laugh: Plus, who cares that we let Rupp walk for nothing? Sometimes you lose players to free agency... Then you might as well count Carter as a +, Vanek as a +, etc. Plus, you gain a half year of Moulson (yeah, I didn't like the guy much either, but it's not like time spent playing for our team counts as nothing).

I mean, you could argue that trading those 11 players just for Nino is a great deal. :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Eller and Emelin are rumored to be available. We could use both guys. I'd even send Dumba+Haula back if the Habs gave us a decent prospect or pick.

Emelin-Folin could be a big bottom pairing.

Eller could bloom with better wingers and Coyle could then be moved back to wing. Eller also has some decent size to him in recent years.

Emelin has three more full years at 4.1M

Eller has 3 more at 3.5M

Don't want.

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015
This. :laugh: Plus, who cares that we let Rupp walk for nothing? Sometimes you lose players to free agency... Then you might as well count Carter as a +, Vanek as a +, etc. Plus, you gain a half year of Moulson (yeah, I didn't like the guy much either, but it's not like time spent playing for our team counts as nothing).

I mean, you could argue that trading those 11 players just for Nino is a great deal. :laugh:

Speaking of guys we let walk, anyone know whats going on with Cullen? I don't pay much attention to Nashville but I always liked him and his stats look way down this year.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
Speaking of guys we let walk, anyone know whats going on with Cullen? I don't pay much attention to Nashville but I always liked him and his stats look way down this year.

On that note, why'd we get rid of Nystrom? I don't recall the details, but he seemed/s like he'd be a pretty solid fit in our bottom six, and we've been chasing those types of players since getting rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad