Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Any chance we could put together some sort of package for a guy like Eberle? Maybe something like Kuemper and a decent D prospect plus a middle to low round pick? Just spit-balling because we need forward help.

As has already been said, can't do it without unloading a big contract. As far as I'm concerned, they could have Vanek, but he's got a NMC and the odds of him waiving for the Oilers are slim.

Pominville has a modified NTC,though I doubt Edmonton is on his list.

Unless that list only includes the teams he doesn't agree to be traded to. :sarcasm:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Everyone's going to be asking this question, but what about trying to trade for Kessel? Maybe they can send 1st + Coyle + Spurgeon or something like that? Or get Vanek in there somehow?

Or going after Bozak? Again, maybe something like 1st + Spurgeon?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Everyone's going to be asking this question, but what about trying to trade for Kessel? Maybe they can send 1st + Coyle + Spurgeon or something like that? Or get Vanek in there somehow?

Pass. Weakens the D considerably, gets another expensive veteran contract.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

If GMCF could somehow work Vanek into a trade for Kessel I would build him a statute myself. But since Phil is signed until the end of time and Vanek only has 2 years after this one and the Leafs have committed to a 'scorched earth' rebuild now, maybe Toronto would be willing to take Vanek as long as the other pieces are extremely good. Not sure how all the money would work out.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Vanek is a terrible fit for the Wild and a bad signing. He's lazy and has almost nothing in the tank. The Wild are built on speed and Kessel has elite speed.

At some point there will be too many defenders. Suter, Scandella, and Brodin are signed long-term. Spurgeon is an RFA after next year. I like him, but I think he's been surpassed by the other three and Dumba should be ready for a bigger role next season. You have to roll the dice if you want to improve.

This would be an offseason move, IMO.

Killerjug

Feb 21, 2013

Would they like Dumba more than Spurgeon? Might have a higher "upside" and our top 4 is going to be intact for a while here. Maybe try to sell them on Kuemper especially if we are going to resign Dubynk to a multi year deal

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I don't see us taking on another big contract unless one of the ones we have goes the other way. And that's going to be a bit of a challenge considering the number of NMCs on the team.

Would they like Dumba more than Spurgeon? Might have a higher "upside" and our top 4 is going to be intact for a while here. Maybe try to sell them on Kuemper especially if we are going to resign Dubynk to a multi year deal

IIRC, Russo speculated on this last week. Spurgeon might get traded if Dumba can prove that he's a top 4 D. Don't see it happening until next season though.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

JVR is more attractive from a salary standpoint.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Vanek is a terrible fit for the Wild and a bad signing. He's lazy and has almost nothing in the tank. The Wild are built on speed and Kessel has elite speed.

At some point there will be too many defenders. Suter, Scandella, and Brodin are signed long-term. Spurgeon is an RFA after next year. I like him, but I think he's been surpassed by the other three and Dumba should be ready for a bigger role next season. You have to roll the dice if you want to improve.

This would be an offseason move, IMO.

You can never have too many defenders.

I like Kessel and I think he gets a pretty unwarranted bad rap. If we were to trade Spurgeon in a package, Kessel would be about the level of player that I'd expect back.

BUT, I do not make a move like this unless I know, not just think, but know that Dumba is ready to take Spurgeon's minutes. He's just not there yet.

Plus, I know we've all been ecstatic about Scandella this year; I think Spurgeon has at least a little to do with it. Something about familiarity and comfortability.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Suter ($7.5) - Brodin ($4)
Scandella ($4) - Spurgeon ($4.5ish)
Vet ($1.5ish) - Dumba ($1.5)

$23 million is a very, very reasonable amount to spend on a defense with this kind of talent and potential. I wouldn't be looking at breaking it up so fast.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
You can never have too many defenders.

I like Kessel and I think he gets a pretty unwarranted bad rap. If we were to trade Spurgeon in a package, Kessel would be about the level of player that I'd expect back.

BUT, I do not make a move like this unless I know, not just think, but know that Dumba is ready to take Spurgeon's minutes. He's just not there yet.

Plus, I know we've all been ecstatic about Scandella this year; I think Spurgeon has at least a little to do with it. Something about familiarity and comfortability.

Also the fact he shortened his stick this off-season and worked on his shot a ton.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

No Bozak.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why?

As for Spurgeon, he provides so much more for this team in all 3 zones than many realize. No reason to move him. Sure Kessel's points are enticing but at his $$ I think I would avoid breaking up our D Core.

Because he makes $5m+ for multiple years and isn't a clear upgrade on either of our top 6 centers, now or in the future.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Nobody was saying we needed forward help until Zucker, Cooke and Carter were injured... so not sure where you're going with that. We were perfectly fine at forward until just recently.

Earlier in the season. Furthermore, Zucker is the only one that has any significant impact. Cooke has hardly played this year and Carter has been mostly invisible. But it's the same story. One injury, forward goes down. We need forward help. WHY? Is our prospect system that bad we can't call up one or two forwards to play scrub minutes while everyone else pulls a little more weight?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Earlier in the season. Furthermore, Zucker is the only one that has any significant impact. Cooke has hardly played this year and Carter has been mostly invisible. But it's the same story. One injury, forward goes down. We need forward help. WHY? Is our prospect system that bad we can't call up one or two forwards to play scrub minutes while everyone else pulls a little more weight?

No, it's not. We can most definitely call up a guy like Sutter to play the 4th line and bump Nino up into the top 6. It's true, we don't have anybody to call up and place directly in Zucker's spot, which is I think what a lot of people here want us to find, but we can definitely handle it in the way that you laid out.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
It kind of makes me chuckle how we we've slowly, yet surely, started speculating on trading for the "big names" (Kessel and Eberle for example).
I'm still in the camp that would like to keep as many picks as possible, and quite frankly, I don't think you're getting players of that caliber without giving up a pick. Eberle maybe, and that's only because Edmonton should (not saying they will) be trading for NHL players... especially defencemen.
Honestly though, we are pretty well set on wingers. Eberle is nice, but my goodness, when you have Parise, Pominville, Zucker, Nino, Vanek, and even Tuch (down the road) you're either paying for expensive 3rd liners (looking at you Vanek), or should trade one of them.

Anywho, because capgeek is no more (sad panda face), I found this "nhl numbers" website that looks pretty legit. I could've swore I heard about it once in the past *shrugs*.
http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/MIN?year=2015

With the extensions we've signed (starting next year), and spaces we will need to fill, I just don't see a lot of wiggle room to bring in a big name.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Wild are set at the wing position but if there's a better fit (get rid of Vanek for a faster top six winger) I would be all about it.

Center depth is weak on the Wild. Mikko and Granlund are below average for 1st and 2nd line centers respectively. Adding another top six quality center in the mix, if they can't add a #1 guy, would help the team.

Depth on D is also a concern. The #5/6 spot specifically.

You can't trade out of the 1st round every year, but at this stage in the game, if there's a player that will help your team now, I wouldn't mind it. Koivu, Vanek, Pommer, Parise, and Suter aren't going to be any better in three years. Adding a strong player under the age of 30 who can skate really well is more helpful than adding a prospect who won't hit the NHL for 3-5 years.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Russo, is on Barriero on he said he thinks Fletcher is going to make a big move doesnt know when but said he is going to be forced to because of the lack of depth now at forward

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Wild are set at the wing position but if there's a better fit (get rid of Vanek for a faster top six winger) I would be all about it.

Center depth is weak on the Wild. Mikko and Granlund are below average for 1st and 2nd line centers respectively. Adding another top six quality center in the mix, if they can't add a #1 guy, would help the team.

Depth on D is also a concern. The #5/6 spot specifically.

You can't trade out of the 1st round every year, but at this stage in the game, if there's a player that will help your team now, I wouldn't mind it. Koivu, Vanek, Pommer, Parise, and Suter aren't going to be any better in three years. Adding a strong player under the age of 30 who can skate really well is more helpful than adding a prospect who won't hit the NHL for 3-5 years.

Agreed, If we were to go after an elite guy I'd want it to be a center. I just get really nervous about the decline of our vets. We won't be selling them for anything of value by the time their contracts are up (who would want 33 or 34+ Mikko, Pomms, or Vanek...), meaning we are heavily banking on our current youngsters to really step up. And if we continue to sell of our future now, well... :dunno:

A guy I'd be interested in obtaining is Brayden Schenn. He's been a bit underwhelming in Philly (especially when compared to his pre-NHL hype), but with guys like Scott Laughton and Couturier in their system, he could be available (honest speculation on my end). He definitely isn't the elite #1 center we'd all want, but has the potential (and the size to handle the West) to possibly become one.

Maybe trading them Coyle would be of interest, although I'm almost certain they'd be looking for a defenceman (they wanted Folin didn't they, ha, I kid I kid :P).
I just think a line of Nino-Schenn-Tuch would be awesome in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad