Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
theres still hope lucia turns into super mario , also tuch's the next bjugstad! gotta have some faith in our new scouts (compared to DR's scouts). more picks for more chances at success!

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
theres still hope lucia turns into super mario , also tuch's the next bjugstad! gotta have some faith in our new scouts (compared to DR's scouts). more picks for more chances at success!

Guy Lapoiinte is still running scouting for the Wild.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Most of ya'll are gonna disagree with me but we need a forward...

Maybe, but we've just traded away so many draft picks. Unless you're talking like a 4th line/depth forward..

Basically anything involving a second should be off the table, and I don't know what else we would trade.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Maybe, but we've just traded away so many draft picks. Unless you're talking like a 4th line/depth forward..

Basically anything involving a second should be off the table, and I don't know what else we would trade.

Honestly, I wasn't thinking 4th line depth forward... I know we have little to move and I know it isn't going to be easy but we generated zero in that game.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Honestly, I wasn't thinking 4th line depth forward... I know we have little to move and I know it isn't going to be easy but we generated zero in that game.

Well we're one for two the past two years in trading for forwards. Still think Poms was worth it, but those two cost us a 1st and three 2nds. Tough to just keep trading them all away when you have the worst AHL team in the league.

On the other hand, if we have an injury or two, our depth is going to be bad. I don't know, it's tough.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Call-up Graovac or Keranen and hope for the best. Should not be giving up any assets for a depth forward at this point in the year.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
After tonight I am convinced we need a 4th line forward. Yeo had no line change options available to him at all.
We need a bottom 6 forward and room to bring up Graovac.
It really would not surprise me at all if Kuemper is moved.
No one can think at this point that Dubnyk isn't the way forward and that a back up as good as Kuemper can be added in the off season for cheap.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Well we're one for two the past two years in trading for forwards. Still think Poms was worth it, but those two cost us a 1st and three 2nds. Tough to just keep trading them all away when you have the worst AHL team in the league.

On the other hand, if we have an injury or two, our depth is going to be bad. I don't know, it's tough.

There are plenty of players coming up who will end up in Iowa over the coming few years...

Mario Lucia,Reid Duke,Chase Lang,Louis Belpedio,Alex Tuch,Kaapo Kahkonen,Dylan Labbe,Carson Soucy,John Draeger,Adam Gilmour,Nick Seeler, Pavel Jenys,Pontus Sjalin,Hunter Warner,Stephen Michalek
Some of those guys might drop off the radar and some of them won't make it past Iowa.Add in the guys already in Iowa (for most of this season)...
Kurtis Gabriel,Matt,Dumba,Tyler Graovac,Raphael Bussieres,Gustav Olofsson,Johan Gustafsson,Alex Gudbranson

And I think the picture is less bleak.

One big reason Iowa is so depleted of talent is that the Wild have 7 or 8 regular roster players under the age of 24.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
One big reason Iowa is so depleted of talent is that the Wild have 7 or 8 regular roster players under the age of 24.

Also the fact that Phillips and Bulmer are busts... I think the team had plans for both and neither has managed to become a player worth a damn.

No worries though, the next wave is coming.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Any chance we could put together some sort of package for a guy like Eberle? Maybe something like Kuemper and a decent D prospect plus a middle to low round pick? Just spit-balling because we need forward help.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Any chance we could put together some sort of package for a guy like Eberle? Maybe something like Kuemper and a decent D prospect plus a middle to low round pick? Just spit-balling because we need forward help.

Edmonton would have to take Pominville/Vanek back, which means someone would have to waive their NMC for EDM, which won't happen. No way we can afford to have Eberle on this team without that, he's getting 6 million a year until 2019.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Just spit-balling because we need forward help.

How many times have we heard this?

We sign Parise.

We need forward help.

We bring up Granlund and Coyle.

We need forward help.

We trade and sign Pominville.

We need forward help.

We trade for Nino Neiderreiter and bring up Erik Haula.

We need forward help.

We sign Thomas Vanek.

We need forward help.

Either this team is incompetent in drafting and developing forwards that we can't just stick on the 3rd and 4th line to shore up what is it? 8 minutes a night? 10 minutes a night? Or we're signing some really crappy players that don't fit our needs.

I mean really:

Coyle - Koivu - Parise
El Nino - Granlund - Pominville
Schroeder - Haula - Vanek
Veilleux - Brodziak - Fontaine

Or whatever...

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Edmonton would have to take Pominville/Vanek back, which means someone would have to waive their NMC for EDM, which won't happen. No way we can afford to have Eberle on this team without that, he's getting 6 million a year until 2019.

Pominville has a modified NTC,though I doubt Edmonton is on his list.

I mean really:

Coyle - Koivu - Parise

Or whatever...

Hey half your top six is younger than 23 years old,that couldn't have anything to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hey half your top six is younger than 23 years old,that couldn't have anything to do with it.

That's on Minnesota for rushing them up so fast and trying to plug holes without the proper training.

Nino, Granny and Coyle all have 2 seasons in the big leagues as well.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
How many times have we heard this?

We sign Parise.

We need forward help.

We bring up Granlund and Coyle.

We need forward help.

We trade and sign Pominville.

We need forward help.

We trade for Nino Neiderreiter and bring up Erik Haula.

We need forward help.

We sign Thomas Vanek.

We need forward help.

Either this team is incompetent in drafting and developing forwards that we can't just stick on the 3rd and 4th line to shore up what is it? 8 minutes a night? 10 minutes a night? Or we're signing some really crappy players that don't fit our needs.

I mean really:

Coyle - Koivu - Parise

Or whatever...

Looking at this year, Coyle and Haula have been extremely disappointing. Nino looked promising but he's not continuing to grow like it seemed he would and even Granlund to an extent has left something to be desired. Vanek was obviously a poor signing, although hindsight is 20/20. He's been the worst of the bunch. The way I see it, we're starting to push guys farther than they are currently capable going. Sorry but Coyle is not a 30 goal a year, top line guy. He may be one day but he isn't right now. Vanek is dead weight, Schroeder is a fill in and the fourth line is serviceable defensively but they aren't going to chip in much offense.

Eberle is a guy that could give us scoring depth as well as being a solid two way player with good speed, and he wouldn't be a rental.

Parise-Koivu-Pommer
Zucker-Granlund-Eberle
Nino-Coyle-Vanek
Cooke-Brodziak-Haula

That could be a very potent forward mix going into next year. I'm not saying that there aren't financial and asset management hoops to jump through but I also don't think that fit is an issue here either. Eberle would be a great addition to our particular lineup. Yes it's true we always seem to be lacking scoring punch but that doesn't mean you quit trying to fix the problem.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
If Backs is bought out the Wild will have something around 14 million in space next year to sign 8 players (including RFAs). There is no way we can fit Eberle without shipping out someone with a comparable cap hit.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yes it's true we always seem to be lacking scoring punch but that doesn't mean you quit trying to fix the problem.

Maybe after three years of trying to trade or sign on, you start looking at your roster, your team and asking yourselves, why can't we develop these guys? I'm simply tired of hearing the excuse that we need forward help. Ever since the team began, we've always needed forward help. After 15 years, you start asking yourself, maybe it's not the team but maybe it's the way we built these teams that is the problem.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maybe after three years of trying to trade or sign on, you start looking at your roster, your team and asking yourselves, why can't we develop these guys? I'm simply tired of hearing the excuse that we need forward help. Ever since the team began, we've always needed forward help. After 15 years, you start asking yourself, maybe it's not the team but maybe it's the way we built these teams that is the problem.

Nobody was saying we needed forward help until Zucker, Cooke and Carter were injured... so not sure where you're going with that. We were perfectly fine at forward until just recently.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We need center help. We have always needed center help. Wingers are always of minor importance. Good centers can make bad wingers look decent. 3 good centers can make an entire bad team decent.

Knock Koivu, but he's the only top-9 quality center we have. Granlund has plateaued. Coyle unpolished. Brodziak has peaked and decline. Haula regressed. Cullen, Belanger, Moore, and White were place holders. Bouchard and Demitra were better on the wingers. Sheppard and Gillies were rushed and had high-bust regardless. (I know Gillies projected as a winger in the NHL). Nobody else in a decade of draft even came close to being considered for a top-9 center spot.

That's the problem right there. That has always been the problem.

And the only realistic option is patience with Granlund, Coyle, Haula, and Graovac. And really not rushing and ruining Graovac, because he might be the guy we need.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Keumper has no value right now = would bring nothing in a trade worthwhile. And he still has potential, he just needs to mature more. Let's not forget it was because of him last year, in a large part, why we even made the playoffs.

He'll be a decent enough backup for a couple years.

Buyout Backs and keep Keumps.

And we do need a C, but we cannot afford a $6 mil or whatever.

It is disturbing that most of our young guys have regressed this year, for whatever reason.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
We need center help. We have always needed center help. Wingers are always of minor importance. Good centers can make bad wingers look decent. 3 good centers can make an entire bad team decent.

Knock Koivu, but he's the only top-9 quality center we have. Granlund has plateaued. Coyle unpolished. Brodziak has peaked and decline. Haula regressed. Cullen, Belanger, Moore, and White were place holders. Bouchard and Demitra were better on the wingers. Sheppard and Gillies were rushed and had high-bust regardless. (I know Gillies projected as a winger in the NHL). Nobody else in a decade of draft even came close to being considered for a top-9 center spot.

That's the problem right there. That has always been the problem.

And the only realistic option is patience with Granlund, Coyle, Haula, and Graovac. And really not rushing and ruining Graovac, because he might be the guy we need.

Brodziak and Coyle right now (and through the season) are playing fine third line center level hockey.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Brodziak and Coyle right now (and through the season) are playing fine third line center level hockey.
We are talking about how to make the Wild a true contender. Their option is to have an elite 1st line center, a workhorse 2nd line center, and a quality 3rd line center, or 3 not-elite, but very strong centers.

Having just a "fine" third line center is just "fine." It won't get to the top. We could get by with Coyle as a 3rd line center if we had a Seguin, but we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad