Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I think the 3 year window applies mostly to the older guys, especially Koivu and Vanek - if the younger guys develop, then there is no window per se.

You got it right in the last sentence there. No more sacrificing the future. Sustainable competitiveness should be the goal.

Sorry to break it to you but the younger guy's are probably not going to be as good as Parise,Suter,Vanek,Pominville and Koivu.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Really? You don't think any of the younger guys have 50 point potential? I'd have to disagree with you there.

I think I've done this before, but our team in 5 years, with ages in parenthesis:

Zucker (27) - Granlund (27) - Tuch (23)
Parise (35) - 2015 1st Rounder (22) - Nino (27)
Whoever - Koivu* (36) - Coyle (27)

Scandella (29) - Brodin (26)
Suter (35) - Spurgeon (29)
Whoever - Dumba (25)

*Or Coyle, if Koivu isn't brought back

I think that's still a playoff team, and it only includes 1 future pick and no free agent signings. I think we'll be alright.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Really? You don't think any of the younger guys have 50 point potential? I'd have to disagree with you there.

I think they do. The question is do they have 20-30 goal potential? I don't see Granlund or Coyle having that type of production. Maybe Tuch, el Nino or Zucker (if he can stay healthy) but that's a big if.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think they do. The question is do they have 20-30 goal potential? I don't see Granlund or Coyle having that type of production. Maybe Tuch, el Nino or Zucker (if he can stay healthy) but that's a big if.

Goal-wise, you're probably right about Granlund and Coyle. They'll probably be in the ~15 range. Zucker, Nino and Tuch absolutely have 20-30 potential. Parise is going to be in the ~20 range into his mid to late 30's as well.

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015
Sorry to break it to you but the younger guy's are probably not going to be as good as Parise,Suter,Vanek,Pominville and Koivu.

Parise and Suter sure but I could see quite a few players being better than Vanek, Pominville, and Koivu. We could even bring in a Vanek replacement via free agency once his contract is up.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
This team will be very good for a long time. The defensive core is so young when they all reach their prime, it'll be somewhat comparable to Chicago's right now. I love what the future holds for this team.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
I'd say stand pat I don't really want to give up any picks or prospects for a rental to squeak into the playoffs and then get bounced. Yes the Dubs trade has worked really well so far but lets not push our luck too much. We need to restock the prospect pool. Also for those who want to put kemps through waviers I have one question. In the worst case scenario let's say someone does claim him and Dubs walks at the end of the year. We would only have Backs as a goalie under contract and I'm pretty sure he will be bought out any way leaving us with NO goalies on the roster. I sure that won't happen but just sayin.

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
What if we go all in on our "window" and make a run at Kessel. Give them Zucker haula one of Spurgeon Folin or Dumba our first and maybe a third and ask for a second next year maybe. Just a thought.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
What if we go all in on our "window" and make a run at Kessel. Give them Zucker haula one of Spurgeon Folin or Dumba our first and maybe a third and ask for a second next year maybe. Just a thought.

Kessels 8 years @ $8mil. is not very appealing.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Parise and Suter sure but I could see quite a few players being better than Vanek, Pominville, and Koivu. We could even bring in a Vanek replacement via free agency once his contract is up.

Let's start the drive for Bjugstad when he hits free agency now! He can't possibly want to stay in Florida. Start sending him walleye fillets and strawberry rhubarb pie.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

That'd be a severe overpayment by us.

Billy Mays Here*

Would still love it if we got our hands on Franson this off-season. Sign him for a couple years while Dumba develops in Iowa.

Suter - Franson
Scandella - Spurgeon
Brodin - Folin

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Sure wish I had your crystal ball. Of those you listed, Parise is the only one that broke out before 23 years old.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Sure wish I had your crystal ball. Of those you listed, Parise is the only one that broke out before 23 years old.

Not really,Thomas Vanek turned 23 In January 2007 his second NHL year these are the stats for his first 3 pro years

Year Team Lg GP G A P
2004–05 Rochester Americans AHL 74 42 26 68 (NHL Lockout)
2005–06 Buffalo Sabres NHL 81 25 23 48
2006–07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 43 41 84

Suter was a regular starter at 20 and top pairing at 21.

Pominville and Koivu both took longer to reach the NHL but in the second years of their NHL careers Koivu (age 23) had 20G 34A and 54pts,Jason Pominville (24) had 34G 34A and 68 pts.

Last edited:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Just, whatever they do, DO NOT chase after a "shut down" defenseman who can't play the puck, and DO NOT get another guy who can't skate.

Russo on the radio just now mentioned Petry(who is right handed)and Sekera(who will probably end up in LA). That said they are going to cost a lot.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just trying to think of who would fit the Wild's mix...

Suter and Brodin are similar, puck movers who make few mistakes but aren't outstanding offensively. Scandella is a lot more aggressive, fast, physical, and can shoot, but tends to make some mistakes. Spurgeon is somewhere in the middle.

After that, it drops off to Dumba and Prosser who both are prone to mistakes on the ice. Dumba obviously has the higher ceiling but he's super raw.

A good puck mover to play the third pairing would be great. If he's RH that's just fine.

If we brought in say Petry:

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Petry
Brodin - Dumba

You're going to spread those minutes out, especially between the 2nd and 3rd pairings. Looks a hell of a lot better than it did before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad