Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Slow Sunday night.
Before I go to bed, how bout this:

Laine (signed long term) and Pionk to Carolina.
Hamilton (signed long term), Niederaiter, Geekie, Jarvis to Jets.

I've been thinking of Hamilton + Niederreiter + Jarvis for Laine + Pionk.

Laine doesn't have to be pre-signed because he is still under team control for 3 years but Hamilton is a pending UFA so he would need to be signed. Sign and trade or trade and sign, doesn't matter.

If I thought Hamilton would sign, I'd be pushing this idea pretty hard. It isn't that I think he would not sign in Wpg, it is that I'm guessing he plans on going UFA, or else he would have signed in Carolina by now.

OTOH, assuming that Hamilton is leaving makes the addition of Pionk worth quite a bit to Canes so the value is good. If only we could get Hamilton to sign. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I've been thinking of Hamilton + Niederreiter + Jarvis for Laine + Pionk.

Laine doesn't have to be pre-signed because he is still under team control for 3 years but Hamilton is a pending UFA so he would need to be signed. Sign and trade or trade and sign, doesn't matter.

If I thought Hamilton would sign, I'd be pushing this idea pretty hard. It isn't that I think he would not sign in Wpg, it is that I'm guessing he plans on going UFA, or else he would have signed in Carolina by now.

OTOH, assuming that Hamilton is leaving makes the addition of Pionk worth quite a bit to Canes so the value is good. If only we could get Hamilton to sign. :D

I'd like Necas in that trade...probably instead of Niederreiter, but might need re-working. Necas is ready for top 6 wing, imo.

Hamilton is just such an odd duck he may like the idea of playing in Winnipeg.

Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I'd like Necas in that trade...probably instead of Niederreiter, but might need re-working. Necas is ready for top 6 wing, imo.

Agree... I’d rather Necas over Niederreiter

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
What could we get off of Seattle to leave Laine exposed?
Our pick of any player after they draft, they get to protect 5 and we take our pick again, and their next two 1st round picks with no lottery protection on the first one?

Something to think about. How much would it be worth to an expansion team to be able to start with a player of that calibre? I don't think it would be practical though. Probably not from either side. Using hindsight we can fantasize about raiding Vegas after the fact but this would have to be done before it is known what any of the pieces would actually be.

It'd be nice to be able to go back and take Suzuki, Glass, Theodore +. :laugh:
Great minds think alike! The same idea occurred to me on Saturday morning :D

I don't think this is a deal you could do know: as you said, too many unknowns and besides, Seattle isn't allowed to conduct any trades yet. This is more of a deal for next summer, after the expansion draft but before the entry draft.

Smart money is that GMs will be even more squeezed by the flat cap this time around and there may be even more side deals tossed around for Seattle.

Vegas came out of the expansion draft with:
- Marchessault
- Haula
- Tuch
- Karlsson
- Theodore
- #6 pick (their own, wound up as Glass)
- #13 pick (ours :ha:, wound up as Suzuki)
- #15 pick (wound up as Brannstrom)

Let's assume Laine stays next year and the fences aren't mended.... if we could get the equivalent of Theodore, Marchessault, #13 and #15 NEXT summer, would you do it?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Exactly what I had thought. We have museums and libraries. :laugh:

If we asked for Necas instead, there would be no Niederreiter, Geekie or Jarvis. I also think that they may still think Necas can become a C, just not yet. If that is the case, I don't think they would part with him.

I'd be fine with Hamilton + Necas myself, but I suspect Carolina would like to move Niederreiter and his cap. If accepting him gets us Jarvis, I'm all for it. I'm not saying Niederreiter is a cap dump, only that they would rather to move his contract than Necas'.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Exactly what I had thought. We have museums and libraries. :laugh:

If we asked for Necas instead, there would be no Niederreiter, Geekie or Jarvis. I also think that they may still think Necas can become a C, just not yet. If that is the case, I don't think they would part with him.

I'd be fine with Hamilton + Necas myself, but I suspect Carolina would like to move Niederreiter and his cap. If accepting him gets us Jarvis, I'm all for it. I'm not saying Niederreiter is a cap dump, only that they would rather to move his contract than Necas'.
If we deal Laine + Pionk to CAR, we have to get at least Hamilton/Pesce + Jarvis/Necas + Geekie/Foegele.
It’s either Hamilton + Jarvis + Geekie/Foegele or Pesce + Necas + Geekie/Foegele

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Great minds think alike! The same idea occurred to me on Saturday morning :D

I don't think this is a deal you could do know: as you said, too many unknowns and besides, Seattle isn't allowed to conduct any trades yet. This is more of a deal for next summer, after the expansion draft but before the entry draft.

Smart money is that GMs will be even more squeezed by the flat cap this time around and there may be even more side deals tossed around for Seattle.

Vegas came out of the expansion draft with:
- Marchessault
- Haula
- Tuch
- Karlsson
- Theodore
- #6 pick (their own, wound up as Glass)
- #13 pick (ours :ha:, wound up as Suzuki)
- #15 pick (wound up as Brannstrom)

Let's assume Laine stays next year and the fences aren't mended.... if we could get the equivalent of Theodore, Marchessault, #13 and #15 NEXT summer, would you do it?

Make it #6 & #13 and I would.

As you say, it would need to be between the XD and the entry draft. By then we have a least a little idea who we are talking about, even if most are futures.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we deal Laine + Pionk to CAR, we have to get at least Hamilton/Pesce + Jarvis/Necas + Geekie/Foegele.
It’s either Hamilton + Jarvis + Geekie + Foegele or Pesce + Necas + Geekie + Foegele

You are demanding more than we are going to get, IMO.

I was a little hesitant about Hamilton but I got corrected. The only question is, would he sign for fair value. If he would sign long term here, I'd be extremely happy with those 3. If you could also get a Geekie or Foegele, great. I'll give you a medal. :laugh:

Since we are including Pionk, maybe we could get Ham + Necas + Geekie.

The picture is a little different if it is Pesce. Some here have questioned his recovery from shoulder surgery. I don't know if they have good reason to be concerned or not - but any and all proposals assume medical advice favours the deal, or there is no deal.

Pesce + Niederreiter + Jarvis + Geekie

That's a lot of RW talent Canes are surrendering but they still have Necas + Laine. They have a lot of RW assets. 2 of them have some potential at C. :thumbu:

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
You are demanding more than we are going to get, IMO.

I was a little hesitant about Hamilton but I got corrected. The only question is, would he sign for fair value. If he would sign long term here, I'd be extremely happy with those 3. If you could also get a Geekie or Foegele, great. I'll give you a medal. :laugh:

Since we are including Pionk, maybe we could get Ham + Necas + Geekie.

The picture is a little different if it is Pesce. Some here have questioned his recovery from shoulder surgery. I don't know if they have good reason to be concerned or not - but any and all proposals assume medical advice favours the deal, or there is no deal.

Pesce + Niederreiter + Jarvis + Geekie

That's a lot of RW talent Canes are surrendering but they still have Necas + Laine. They have a lot of RW assets. 2 of them have some potential at C. :thumbu:
My iPad sucks so it takes a few edits for me to get my post done right....lol
Here’s what I’m suggesting for Laine + Pionk...
Hamilton + Jarvis + Geekie/Foegele + 3rd
Pesce + Necas + Geekie/Foegele + 3rd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I really don't see Hamilton signing long-term with the Jets at this point, which would make a deal centered around him a non-starter.

I like the second trade okay, but I would replace the 3rd with at least a 2nd.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
My personal top choice for a Laine trade is with the Isles.
Laine + Pionk for Pulock + Wahlstrom + Beauvillier

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I still think it is easier to sell to Canes if we take Niederreiter as part payment. And I am OK with that. He can play 2RW for a couple of years until Jarvis is ready. I also suspect that they would prefer to hang on to Necas, making it a tougher sell. That is just a hunch on my part. But I would just as soon get Niederreiter + Jarvis as get Necas.

I would rather have Geekie than Foegele and rather have either of them than a 3rd. I don't think we get one of them + a 3rd.

Hamilton + Niederreiter + Jarvis + Geekie/Foegele and I would be very happy. Leave out Geekie/Foegele and I am still very happy, just slightly less so. :laugh:

Pesce + Niederreiter + Jarvis + Geekie/Foegele and I am less willing to leave out Geekie/Foegele.

Either way, we have a 1RD, an immediate 2RW and a long term top 6 RW + added depth wingers. I would call any of these options a good haul.

I would like to see Rosie + Niederreiter + Geekie all competing for top 6 RW jobs in TC.:thumbu: That kind of competition is healthy.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I still think it is easier to sell to Canes if we take Niederreiter as part payment. And I am OK with that. He can play 2RW for a couple of years until Jarvis is ready. I also suspect that they would prefer to hang on to Necas, making it a tougher sell. That is just a hunch on my part. But I would just as soon get Niederreiter + Jarvis as get Necas.

I would rather have Geekie than Foegele and rather have either of them than a 3rd. I don't think we get one of them + a 3rd.

Hamilton + Niederreiter + Jarvis + Geekie/Foegele and I would be very happy. Leave out Geekie/Foegele and I am still very happy, just slightly less so. :laugh:

Pesce + Niederreiter + Jarvis + Geekie/Foegele and I am less willing to leave out Geekie/Foegele.

Either way, we have a 1RD, an immediate 2RW and a long term top 6 RW + added depth wingers. I would call any of these options a good haul.

I would like to see Rosie + Niederreiter + Geekie all competing for top 6 RW jobs in TC.:thumbu: That kind of competition is healthy.
Fun facts...

As a 20-year old Geekie played on a much more offensively potent AHL team than Vesalainen. In fact, if you look at the ratio of points/game to team goals/game, Vesalainen actually contributed a higher proportion of the Moose offense this past season than Geekie did for Charlotte as a 20-year old.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine and Poink for Ekblad, Tippett and a 2nd...(1st?).

Doesn't matter how much we like the various Laine for Ekblad proposals. Florida is not going to move Ekblad this season unless it is for a RHD just as good on a very cheap contract. Maybe next off-season when Ekblad is due a bunch of real money.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Doesn't matter how much we like the various Laine for Ekblad proposals. Florida is not going to move Ekblad this season unless it is for a RHD just as good on a very cheap contract. Maybe next off-season when Ekblad is due a bunch of real money.

I wouldn't mind waiting until after this season. Maybe even after the expansion draft.

I still have my doubts Florida would even move Ekblad, but if they will, I'd be ok with that trade.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't mind waiting until after this season. Maybe even after the expansion draft.

I still have my doubts Florida would even move Ekblad, but if they will, I'd be ok with that trade.

It could work. We see what Laine manages to do this season, assuming there is a this season. Then, if we still want to trade him, or if he is difficult to sign, we could do this kind of deal.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It could work. We see what Laine manages to do this season, assuming there is a this season. Then, if we still want to trade him, or if he is difficult to sign, we could do this kind of deal.

I don’t see a trade happening for Laine this off season. I do enjoy ready the trade scenarios though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t see a trade happening for Laine this off season. I do enjoy ready the trade scenarios though.

It becomes a little less likely every day - but never say never.

If we could look forward to a more or less normal season, I would expect it to be a pivotal season for Laine. But it may not be possible to reach any conclusions based on the altered season we end up with.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It becomes a little less likely every day - but never say never.

If we could look forward to a more or less normal season, I would expect it to be a pivotal season for Laine. But it may not be possible to reach any conclusions based on the altered season we end up with.

Its so unpredictable.

It’s not like they are likely going to be able to seat many fans until 2021-22 season so I am struggling to understand the end game for this upcoming season? It will unfold one way or the other though so I am not in any rush. I really hope Laine has a great season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Its so unpredictable.

It’s not like they are likely going to be able to seat many fans until 2021-22 season so I am struggling to understand the end game for this upcoming season? It will unfold one way or the other though so I am not in any rush. I really hope Laine has a great season.

Two goals for this season for the NHL in my mind:

A) Finish the season in June to get back to their regular schedule
B) Play games for the TV money, they don't want to have to give that back or not receive it.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Two goals for this season for the NHL in my mind:

A) Finish the season in June to get back to their regular schedule
B) Play games for the TV money, they don't want to have to give that back or not receive it.

I don’t see anyway that (A) happens. My guess is they want to push back the season as far as possible with the hope of getting fans in the stands. I foresee the playoffs being played after the Olympics with the hope they can play to full arenas in September or October. Start the next condensed season in December and get back to the regular schedule in 22-23.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don’t see anyway that (A) happens. My guess is they want to push back the season as far as possible with the hope of getting fans in the stands. I foresee the playoffs being played after the Olympics with the hope they can play to full arenas in September or October. Start the next condensed season in December and get back to the regular schedule in 22-23.

Pushing back the season that far risks canceling the season and they definitely do not want that. Would the lost TV revenue offset the minor revenue they'd get from some arenas at 20% capacity? Not at all in my mind.

Reactions: surixon

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Pushing back the season that far risks canceling the season and they definitely do not want that. Would the lost TV revenue offset the minor revenue they'd get from some arenas at 20% capacity? Not at all in my mind.

What I mean is that they play 60-82 games from Feb-Jul, break for three weeks, then the playoffs, with the hope there’s a vaccine by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad