Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: The old player, prospect and pick return trotted out as though that somehow pegs his value.
It depends on which player, which prospect and which pick. :laugh:

I like the NYI proposal, but it is pretty unlikely to happen. I like the Fla one too, but it is even more unlikely.

The Canes trade might be OK. I'm not sold on Trocheck, but I can see them wanting to go that way for cap reasons. OTOH, I think they got him to play 2C and they probably still want him for that. I would take Niederreiter instead. It still needs more. Could be Bean, Bokk or Geekie but a 1st might be more like it. My preference would be Necas. Apparently they don't think he makes it at C, but he should become a top 6 RW, our 2nd need after 1RD.

The Philly proposal is bad value, bad fit. The CBJ one is even worse. I don't think we have the emphasis on C prospects that we had before the draft.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My takes, IMO...
I like the Florida and NYI trades.
I’m ok with the Carolina deal
Not a fan of the Flyers trade
No interest in the CBJ deal

I agree. Unfortunately I don't think there is much, if any, chance with the NYI or Fla trades, for reason I have stated before.

The Carolina one needs tweaking but could be good.

I like Sanheim from Philly but not the rest.

I like nothing about the CBJ proposal.

The NYI proposal is not too different from my own, but @tbcwpg pointed out a serious flaw. After trading Toews, losing Pulock would be pretty tough for Isles to justify. But I still hold out a faint hope that they will value the thought of Barzal with Laine enough to take the hit.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Really?
We get Pulock, Beauvillier and Wahlstrom.
They get Laine + cap space.

I do that all day long.

Unfortunately, I don't think NYI would be willing to give up Pulock considering their right side D situation with him gone.
Yes, really. Not enough there for my liking. Especially with NYI not being able to keep Pulock AND us giving up Pionk.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I agree. Unfortunately I don't think there is much, if any, chance with the NYI or Fla trades, for reason I have stated before.

The Carolina one needs tweaking but could be good.

I like Sanheim from Philly but not the rest.

I like nothing about the CBJ proposal.

The NYI proposal is not too different from my own, but @tbcwpg pointed out a serious flaw. After trading Toews, losing Pulock would be pretty tough for Isles to justify. But I still hold out a faint hope that they will value the thought of Barzal with Laine enough to take the hit.
That’s why I always add Pionk in my NYI deals.
Laine + Pionk for Pulock +++

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
At least those proposals contain decent pieces back, unlike others.

My preference:

FLA - Top pair RHD with term as well as a RW replacement who could be ready to make the jump.

PHI - Sanheim is a lefty, but has played on the right at times. Could play on the left this year and then move to the right next year and make Pionk expendable when Pionk requires a raise. Farabee is talented and is likely a top 6 winger soon.

NYI - Like the addition of Pulock. Mo/Pul would be a very good top pair. Could then move Pionk ether this year or next for a return. Wahlstrom is making this lukewarm for me. Not sure what he will be. If the scouts were confident I'd be more interested. Replace him with Beauvillier and it might be my #2 or #1.

CAR - I have big concerns with Pesce and his shoulder recovery that no one seems to be worried about. Maybe it will be nothing, but IIRC, it was pretty serious surgery. Also have no interest in Trocheck and his 2 year contract as a significant piece. Would need a clean bill of health for Pesce and Tro replaced with Necas or Jarvis to have me interested.

With the changes outlined to NYI or CLB, IMO all 4 are pretty close for me.

CLB - Good pieces, just none are elite enough IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

Jets needed to target one of those 2 Isles. Once Toews was gone Jets lost any chance at Pulock.

That why we need a trade wrangler. Chevy is too emotionally involved to make a deal involving Laine.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I agree that both those contracts were too long - but wheeler hasn't failed to produce yet and you can hardly blame Chevy for not having the foresight to anticipate Little's injury.

We'd be in an even worse position right now with the cap if Little wasn't injured though. No Stastny trade, no room to upgrade our D without trading Laine or another core forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, really. Not enough there for my liking. Especially with NYI not being able to keep Pulock AND us giving up Pionk.

What do you mean, with NYI not being able to keep Pulock? Of course they can't keep him if they trade him to us. I don't get it.

AND us giving up Pionk is of little consequence since getting Pulock makes him surplus to our needs. The important think is to look at the before and after. We instantly go from a weak D core to a strong one with all 6 of our starters legitimately fitting their places on the depth chart.

We have taken an obvious hit up front but the bottom 6 is actually stronger and there is a probable fitting replacement for Laine. Not a 40+ goal scorer, but an honest 2RW.

I think we go from pretender to contender in a stroke.

Almost certainly moot though because Isles wouldn't do it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That’s why I always add Pionk in my NYI deals.
Laine + Pionk for Pulock +++

I do that without hesitation. The trouble is that it then leaves them short of cap to sign Barzal.

Could work though, if Barzal takes a lesser deal for 1 year. Alternatively, if they can LTIR Boychuk, it also works. In fact they then have a little room left over. How much would depend on the amount Barzal ends up with. They might have assets to go looking for another RHD.

Reactions: BatVader

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets needed to target one of those 2 Isles. Once Toews was gone Jets lost any chance at Pulock.

That why we need a trade wrangler. Chevy is too emotionally involved to make a deal involving Laine.

Well, we don't know what Chevy tried and what Lou was just unwilling to do. Maybe Lou wanted something like my deal but with Toews instead of Pulock. I wouldn't do that. Not for Laine. Toews just isn't enough as the main piece for Laine. So Lou traded Toews elsewhere.

I can't fault Chevy if his only failing this off-season was holding out for full value for Laine.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We'd be in an even worse position right now with the cap if Little wasn't injured though. No Stastny trade, no room to upgrade our D without trading Laine or another core forward.

Yes. But then we would have Little at 2C. Maybe less than ideal, but he was looking very good until he got hurt last season, like his old self.

Worse comes to worst, we could have traded Little. Probably would have had to retain to move him. A buyout would be unattractive because of the long term, but that would have also been on the table if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad