Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I think we still need an upgrade at RD. I wanted DeMelo to play with Morrissey this season but I don't think he is a legit 1st pairing Dman.

Agree. He "could be okay longer term" on top line with Morrissey if Morrissey begins scoring 20+ goals and and 60+ pts per year! Likely not as Morrissey is a well-rounded overall Dman, not an offensive juggernaut, yet for sure. And Demelo would have to handle the rough and tough stuff fully, to protect Morrissey from getting over run and clobbered regularly, in big games.
Can Demelo handle this? Wait to see how it pans out this next season.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I've run the numbers on capfriendly a bunch of times and I don't see any cap related issues for the next 3-4 years at all. We can afford to give Laine a $9.5 - $10M contract if we want to and can keep Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler and Scheif. Perreault comes off the books and his cap covers his replacement and Laine's raise. Pionk needs a new contract but depending on what we do in a trade, he may be the player taken in the expansion draft.

The big question at this point is what do we do at 2C? We have Stastney this year but what happens next year? If Perfetti can step in as 2C we have it made but in some ways it would be better if we could slide his ELC one more year.

View attachment 374459

We likely lose Harkins or Appleton in the expansion draft so Suess moves onto the 4th line and Vesalainen moves to the 3rd line.

We'd have over $8M to sign 2 players, one of which is the pressbox guy and the other is a stop gap 2C until Perfetti is ready. If it works really well would Stastney come back on a 1-2 year deal if we needed him? The trick is we can only pay for a max of 2 years because then we'll need Perfetti's ELC to be there so we can pay Samberg and Heinola. In a worst case we could bridge them for 1 year and then Wheeler comes off the books.

There is no cap related reason to trade anyone. If we decide to trade someone it's a hockey trade where they are trying to reallocate talent from the Wing to either Center or D.

Even if Laine needs $12M and he puts up 120 points this season to earn it we can swing it. Roslovic needs to go for futures. Not ideal but we could absolutely make that work. Unlikey we'd need to, but we could.

What happened to Lowry? Just letting him walkoff into UFA, with Perreault? Best trade him for an asset. He is not garbage or useless, unless you expect him to score every 3rd game! Maurice loves playing him over almost 50% of rest of roster.
And, on Stastny, I fear Chevy &company will re-up him if this season goes well but on an over-pay!! All the "worthwhile" produced will likely be a detriment in year 2 or 3. And cap troubles could ensue? And is Jack Roslovic really a viable, "get-it-done", "move the needle up" 2C all of a sudden. I would love it if he can be but...where is the past showing as capable and probable, in his NHL showing so far?
I would rather offer him up with Adam Lowry, to Chi BHwks for valid C player in Dylan Strome! Just my opinion. I do not see Maurice suddenly trusting and using Roslo in the 2C slot, after the Stastny experiment, part 2 is done.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
There is a trade that I have been turning over in my mind for a couple of weeks. It gets complicated by relative values and cap needs etc. I did it in steps so I will go through it here the same way.

NYI get
Laine

Jets get
Pulock

There are 2 major flaws there. 1) NYI still haven't got enough cap space to sign Barzal. 2) That is not enough for Laine.

Isles also send us Beauvillier. I think that gets the value up to about right for Laine, or close enough. It also gets the Isles some, but still not enough, cap space.

So we also take Ladd's contract. Hold on. Don't burn me at the stake yet. :laugh: We don't do that for free.
They add Wohlstrom for that. It is 3 years at 5.5. That is worth that price. And, importantly, they now have enough cap space to sign Barzal. Call Laine and Pulock a wash on cap hit. They have 8.9 minus Laine's 6.75 = 2.15 + Beauvilliers 2.1 = 4.25 + Ladd's 5.5 = 9.75.

We do not have enough cap space though. With the addition of Pulock we can afford to move Pionk, no problem. We can't take any cap back though. Sens have lots of cap space and could use an upgrade at RD. They have 3 2nds next draft. I think the earliest one would be sufficient. If not Sens there are a couple of other teams who would probably be interested. We also have to buy out Perreault. Pulock filed for arb so we are eligible for the second buyout period. That gives us enough space for everyone.

NYI give up Pulock, but they have Dobson plus some good D prospects. They can afford that loss. They get to keep Barzal happy and add a big scoring threat to their scoring deprived team.

Jets give up Laine. Definitely a big loss. But we gain Pulock, the 1RD we need. He fills Pionks roster spot. Beauvillier takes Perreault's roster spot plays 2 LW, with Ehlers moving into Laine's spot. Wohlstrom is a coming top 6 RW. When he is ready he can move Ehlers back to LW or replace Wheeler when Wheeler declines.

A big part of what we pay is the dead cap space we take on. We can afford it though because we don't have any big raises on the horizon until it has expired.

I assume this needs to get done before Pulock's arb hearing on Nov 6.

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Stastny - Wohlstrom
Beauvillier - Copp - Roslovic
Harkins - Lowry - Appleton

Morrissey - Pulock
Samberg - DeMelo
Forbort - Poolman

:stanley:

OK, done. Rip me apart. :laugh:

Some actual possibilities there, well thought out.
However, taking on Ladd's contract and Ladd himself just complicates and sours our own cap for a while. Do you really not pay Laine fairly and take on a bad contract on a player who is barely AHL level anymore?
When visiting possible trade sights for the Isles, their fan base are generally a solid "NO" on Laine, for one. And solidly against trading away Ryan Pulock.
Then, there is the real factor of dealing with Lamierillo which is not easy to manuevre and come out on fair end. Doubt you get Beauvillier and prospect Wahlstrom in there, without sending Ehlers with Laine. Sucks but I don't think it can come to reality. Do you offer Pionk with Laine to make it work, instead of to Ottawa? I dunno on this one really working?
Also, if Pionk going to Ottawa, I'd throw in Jack Roslovic and ask for a higher 2nd round 2021 and prospect ( NHL ready) Drake Batherson! He his a big body, point producing RHS RW/C who has scored more 1+ ppg in the AHL. Otherwise, no deal. I feel getting Pulock added to our D solidifies RS with keeping Pionk, 1 more season for sure. Overall, long term, I see Pulock as possibly better overall than Pionk, but losing Pionk and adding Pulock is more sideways move with more upside potential. Also, Pulock could be an ideal fit with Morrissey, recalling the early glory days of Morrissey and Trouba!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
However, taking on Ladd's contract and Ladd himself just complicates and sours our own cap for a while. Do you really not pay Laine fairly and take on a bad contract on a player who is barely AHL level anymore?
When visiting possible trade sights for the Isles, their fan base are generally a solid "NO" on Laine, for one. And solidly against trading away Ryan Pulock.
Then, there is the real factor of dealing with Lamierillo which is not easy to manuevre and come out on fair end. Doubt you get Beauvillier and prospect Wahlstrom in there, without sending Ehlers with Laine. Sucks but I don't think it can come to reality. Do you offer Pionk with Laine to make it work, instead of to Ottawa? I dunno on this one really working?
Also, if Pionk going to Ottawa, I'd throw in Jack Roslovic and ask for a higher 2nd round 2021 and prospect ( NHL ready) Drake Batherson! He his a big body, point producing RHS RW/C who has scored more 1+ ppg in the AHL. Otherwise, no deal. I feel getting Pulock added to our D solidifies RS with keeping Pionk, 1 more season for sure. Overall, long term, I see Pulock as possibly better overall than Pionk, but losing Pionk and adding Pulock is more sideways move with more upside potential. Also, Pulock could be an ideal fit with Morrissey, recalling the early glory days of Morrissey and Trouba!

No reason for Ottawa to trade one of their cheaper top prospects for Roslovic and Pionk.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. He "could be okay longer term" on top line with Morrissey if Morrissey begins scoring 20+ goals and and 60+ pts per year! Likely not as Morrissey is a well-rounded overall Dman, not an offensive juggernaut, yet for sure. And Demelo would have to handle the rough and tough stuff fully, to protect Morrissey from getting over run and clobbered regularly, in big games.
Can Demelo handle this? Wait to see how it pans out this next season.

DeMelo is no heavyweight. He will have all he can do looking after himself, let alone handling the rough stuff on behalf of his partner.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If we don't take on Ladd, that whole deal falls apart. It isn't about refusing to pay Laine and choosing to pay out a dead contract instead. With Laine gone, we have the cap space. We use that cap space to make the whole deal possible. There is no intention whatsoever of playing Ladd in the NHL, though 4th line duties might not be completely impossible. He would more likely be sent down to the AHL, saving 1 mil in cap hit.

Any fan base that is a solid "NO" on Laine is nuts. Unwilling to pay the price is another story. NYI fans may still be thinking they have a contender after their PO run, but they overachieved this year. They can't expect to duplicate that with the same roster.

Against trading Pulock, I can understand. I would feel the same way. I have already been reminded of the Toews trade, which makes my proposal highly unlikely. They have moved 1 RHD, they are not going to move 2.

Sending Ehlers with Laine would be insane. They need the cap relief to sign Barzal. That costs them Wahlstrom. Without Beauvillier, they don't get Laine. He is worth more than Pulock, straight up.

Yes, I offer Pionk with Laine. Unfortunately, they can't afford his cap hit.

I don't think Rosie gets Batherson straight up. The Pionk to Ottawa move is just about freeing up cap space, nothing else. We can't keep Pionk with the rest of this. Not an option. Period. With Pulock, DeMelo in the top 4 Pionk is redundant. Why would we want to see him on our 3rd pair?

If you think gaining Pulock and losing Pionk is a wash, then there is no point to any part of this deal. Not even worth considering. I don't think Pionk is nearly as good as Pulock, but even if they are close, Pulock is a totally different type of player. Bigger, more physical, better defensively, Pulock is much more the type we need to partner with Morrissey.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Going back to this article to see if there is a possible trade to be made with Florida. Staying with the premise of Laine for Ekblad and Tippett we add Pionk to our side and they add Connolly to their side. As others have noted the arrival of Ekblad would push Pionk to #3 RHD and we wouldn't be able to protect him in the XD. Connolly would give us a big middle 6 winger with strong underlying metrics. We should have enough cap space to take on extra cap hit. If we need to balance with a pick from Florida all the better, though no way they throw in a 1st.

For this trade to come to fruition the Panthers would need to want to make a big splash and unite Laine with his best bud Barkov. Maybe as a way to make sure Barkov re-signs with them in a couple years. For the Jets it is obviously a huge upgrade at RHD. Ekblad is signed for 5 more years at a reasonable $7.5 M. He also overlapped with Scheifele in Barrie so hopefully there is a connection there and he fits in with the leadership group. Tippett had a strong season in the AHL last season and looks ready to make the jump to the NHL, and even if he isn't quite ready he is a future top 6 RW and a true goal scorer. Connolly has 3 years at $3.5 M plays about 14-15 minutes and as I mentioned has nice underlying numbers. He is 28 y/o so should have a few more years in the tank and should also be a nice fit with our leadership group. This also allows us to start balancing out the lineup with middle 6 players Maurice will trust playing. While we lose Laine's star power we become a stronger and much more balanced team that compete in our division.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Tippett
Connolly-Copp-Roslovic
Harkins-Lowry-Appleton

Morrissey-Ekblad
Samberg-DeMelo
Forbort/Heinola-Poolman

Helly

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Going back to this article to see if there is a possible trade to be made with Florida. Staying with the premise of Laine for Ekblad and Tippett we add Pionk to our side and they add Connolly to their side. As others have noted the arrival of Ekblad would push Pionk to #3 RHD and we wouldn't be able to protect him in the XD. Connolly would give us a big middle 6 winger with strong underlying metrics. We should have enough cap space to take on extra cap hit. If we need to balance with a pick from Florida all the better, though no way they throw in a 1st.

For this trade to come to fruition the Panthers would need to want to make a big splash and unite Laine with his best bud Barkov. Maybe as a way to make sure Barkov re-signs with them in a couple years. For the Jets it is obviously a huge upgrade at RHD. Ekblad is signed for 5 more years at a reasonable $7.5 M. He also overlapped with Scheifele in Barrie so hopefully there is a connection there and he fits in with the leadership group. Tippett had a strong season in the AHL last season and looks ready to make the jump to the NHL, and even if he isn't quite ready he is a future top 6 RW and a true goal scorer. Connolly has 3 years at $3.5 M plays about 14-15 minutes and as I mentioned has nice underlying numbers. He is 28 y/o so should have a few more years in the tank and should also be a nice fit with our leadership group. This also allows us to start balancing out the lineup with middle 6 players Maurice will trust playing. While we lose Laine's star power we become a stronger and much more balanced team that compete in our division.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Tippett
Connolly-Copp-Roslovic
Harkins-Lowry-Appleton

Morrissey-Ekblad
Samberg-DeMelo
Forbort/Heinola-Poolman

Helly
This works well.
For me, the preference is something like this or NYI fir Pulock, Wahlstrom, +
The trade would need to be Laine + Pionk going from us and a top pairing RHD, an RW replacement, and one or 2 other assets.
I like an Isles trade idea of Pulock, Wahlstrom, Ho Sang, Ladd, and a pick to offset Ladds cap.
We need to watch cap, and Ho Sang is on a cheap 1 yr deal, but has upside potential.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Tippett
Connolly-Copp-Roslovic
Harkins-Lowry-Appleton

Morrissey-Ekblad
Samberg-DeMelo
Forbort/Heinola-Poolman

Helly

Connolly might bump Copp out of 3LW spot, but Lowry will still be 3C. The 3rd line still won't score beans. Harkins - Copp - Appleton will likely score more in less TOI, but at least that would be a good 4th line that would get more than 5 min TOI/gm.

But I think there is zero chance of that trade happening. Ekblad has already been paid a 4 mil bonus. Florida needs to pay him only 2 mil more for this season. Laine needs to be paid 7.5 mil. So a loss of 5.5 mil in real dollars for Fla. Maybe next off-season, but not now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Connolly might bump Copp out of 3LW spot, but Lowry will still be 3C. The 3rd line still won't score beans. Harkins - Copp - Appleton will likely score more in less TOI, but at least that would be a good 4th line that would get more than 5 min TOI/gm.

But I think there is zero chance of that trade happening. Ekblad has already been paid a 4 mil bonus. Florida needs to pay him only 2 mil more for this season. Laine needs to be paid 7.5 mil. So a loss of 5.5 mil in real dollars for Fla. Maybe next off-season, but not now.
That's why I think Florida only does this for the splash of adding Laine and the desire to do what they can make sure they can get Barkov under contract in a couple years. There is also the possibility of retaining some salary if we can fit it under the cap. I didn't look at that too deep as the straight cap hits fit under our cap. I'm also not convinced that with more talent available in the bottom we won't see more balance and scoring. An big upgraded on defense and an upgrade at #2 center should put us in a position where we don't have as strong as need for a shut down 3rd line.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
That's why I think Florida only does this for the splash of adding Laine and the desire to do what they can make sure they can get Barkov under contract in a couple years. There is also the possibility of retaining some salary if we can fit it under the cap. I didn't look at that too deep as the straight cap hits fit under our cap. I'm also not convinced that with more talent available in the bottom we won't see more balance and scoring. An big upgraded on defense and an upgrade at #2 center should put us in a position where we don't have as strong as need for a shut down 3rd line.

If there’s no scenario where we keep Laine and sign him long term, I wouldn’t mind trading him for Ekblad plus futures and then sign Granlund. He should be available at a discount. Play Ehlers on the right side and go Scheifele, Stastny, Perfetti down the middle with Connor, Wheeler, Granlund, Ehlers, Copp, Roslovic in really any combination.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think you are dreaming in technicolour if you think Maurice is only using the Lowry 3rd line because he doesn't have alternatives. He has, and has had, plenty of alternatives.

If they see Laine as making Barkov happy, they might do this next off-season. I don't believe there is any motivation for Florida that will trump the dollars. I could be wrong of course, but I think moving Ekblad is the last thing they will do this year.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
If we don't take on Ladd, that whole deal falls apart. It isn't about refusing to pay Laine and choosing to pay out a dead contract instead. With Laine gone, we have the cap space. We use that cap space to make the whole deal possible. There is no intention whatsoever of playing Ladd in the NHL, though 4th line duties might not be completely impossible. He would more likely be sent down to the AHL, saving 1 mil in cap hit.

Any fan base that is a solid "NO" on Laine is nuts. Unwilling to pay the price is another story. NYI fans may still be thinking they have a contender after their PO run, but they overachieved this year. They can't expect to duplicate that with the same roster.

Against trading Pulock, I can understand. I would feel the same way. I have already been reminded of the Toews trade, which makes my proposal highly unlikely. They have moved 1 RHD, they are not going to move 2.

Sending Ehlers with Laine would be insane. They need the cap relief to sign Barzal. That costs them Wahlstrom. Without Beauvillier, they don't get Laine. He is worth more than Pulock, straight up.

Yes, I offer Pionk with Laine. Unfortunately, they can't afford his cap hit.

I don't think Rosie gets Batherson straight up. The Pionk to Ottawa move is just about freeing up cap space, nothing else. We can't keep Pionk with the rest of this. Not an option. Period. With Pulock, DeMelo in the top 4 Pionk is redundant. Why would we want to see him on our 3rd pair?

If you think gaining Pulock and losing Pionk is a wash, then there is no point to any part of this deal. Not even worth considering. I don't think Pionk is nearly as good as Pulock, but even if they are close, Pulock is a totally different type of player. Bigger, more physical, better defensively, Pulock is much more the type we need to partner with Morrissey.
In your statement about Pionk, you are letting him go for nothing helpful right now and cap space. So, how is Pionk projected to be worth over $5 mil next contract when said value right now is a "cap dump" for a 2nd round pick? Who replaces his 45 points?
This whole proposal gets cap space for Laine, used up by Pulock and Beauvillier, then forced to let go Pionk go in order to afford Ladd, who we get in order to move Laine. Ladd becones Bryan Little #2,. High cap hit for zero output, other than putting on LTIR, Little obviously, or burying Ladd in the A? Why even do this?

Reactions: Pongs21

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In your statement about Pionk, you are letting him go for nothing helpful right now and cap space. So, how is Pionk projected to be worth over $5 mil next contract when said value right now is a "cap dump" for a 2nd round pick? Who replaces his 45 points?
This whole proposal gets cap space for Laine, used up by Pulock and Beauvillier, then forced to let go Pionk go in order to afford Ladd, who we get in order to move Laine. Ladd becones Bryan Little #2,. High cap hit for zero output, other than putting on LTIR, Little obviously, or burying Ladd in the A? Why even do this?

OK, get more for him if you can. I don't mind.

The thing is that at that point he absolutely must be moved for zero cap hit coming back. Other teams know that and will offer to steal him from us. Also at that point, I'm OK with that because we have got what we need as a result of moving him. If you can get 2-3 teams bidding on him and get a better return, great. As long as it doesn't bring any cap hit with it.

Why do this? Pulock!
Fixes our defense, that's why do this. We also strengthen our bottom 6 and put ourselves in a strong position long term.

The fact we are stuck paying Ladd's contract is of no consequence because we have the cap space with no big raises on the horizon until after it expires. It immediately makes us into contenders again.

If you disagree with that, fine. Maybe you don't rate Pulock as highly as I do. But it has nothing to do with the great loss of Pionk. Who replaces his 45 pts? Pulock does. He scored 35 last year on a team that didn't score much. If it would get us Pulock, Beauvillier and Wahlstrom, I would even pay someone to take Pionk off our hands and it is not because I don't like or value Pionk. It is because he is now in the way of getting those 3.

But the whole discussion is moot anyway. With Toews gone, Isles would be too weak on the right side to expect them to move Pulock. The whole thing falls apart. We could send Pionk to them in the deal. I'd be fine with that but then they still need to find the cap space for him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What could we get off of Seattle to leave Laine exposed?
Our pick of any player after they draft, they get to protect 5 and we take our pick again, and their next two 1st round picks with no lottery protection on the first one?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Our pick of any player after they draft, they get to protect 5 and we take our pick again, and their next two 1st round picks with no lottery protection on the first one?

You can't bake those expectations into a trade. I'm not sure I'd want to trade Laine for the 6th best player in an expansion draft (really 7th because Laine would be top 5 easily) anyways, and Seattle would be dumb to trade their next two firsts to anyone for anybody not named Crosby, Ovechkin, McKinnon, Draisaitl or McDavid.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You can't bake those expectations into a trade. I'm not sure I'd want to trade Laine for the 6th best player in an expansion draft (really 7th because Laine would be top 5 easily) anyways, and Seattle would be dumb to trade their next two firsts to anyone for anybody not named Crosby, Ovechkin, McKinnon, Draisaitl or McDavid.
You are expecting them to draft 1st overall both years?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Slow Sunday night.
Before I go to bed, how bout this:

Laine (signed long term) and Pionk to Carolina.
Hamilton (signed long term), Niederaiter, Geekie, Jarvis to Jets.
don't think Carolina would do that. GOod for us of course

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Something to think about. How much would it be worth to an expansion team to be able to start with a player of that calibre? I don't think it would be practical though. Probably not from either side. Using hindsight we can fantasize about raiding Vegas after the fact but this would have to be done before it is known what any of the pieces would actually be.

It'd be nice to be able to go back and take Suzuki, Glass, Theodore +. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad