Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Sort of drifting off topic (I'll give it a shot at bringing it back at the end of my post lol)...

Would it not be in the players best interest to play and accept the 50% of whatever HRR is generated?

The longer we go without NHL hockey, the less relevant it will become in our society, essentially hurting future earnings. I'm sure the players want the cap to start going up again as soon as possible - so taking a haircut this year to keep some form of momentum going might be in their long term best interest.

Guys who are in the last year of their contract, or guys who signed a short term deal like Barrie and Hall probably want a return to an 82 game schedule next fall. Laine is in that group as well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sort of drifting off topic (I'll give it a shot at bringing it back at the end of my post lol)...

Would it not be in the players best interest to play and accept the 50% of whatever HRR is generated?

The longer we go without NHL hockey, the less relevant it will become in our society, essentially hurting future earnings. I'm sure the players want the cap to start going up again as soon as possible - so taking a haircut this year to keep some form of momentum going might be in their long term best interest.

Guys who are in the last year of their contract, or guys who signed a short term deal like Barrie and Hall probably want a return to an 82 game schedule next fall. Laine is in that group as well.

Well its greed plain and simple. The players locked into big money deals don't want to give any of it up whereas the players who have expiring deals want to get back on the ice so that they can time their new contracts with an uptick in league revenue. Also the NHL has already agreed to give the players more then 50% in the short term hence holding the cap flat. If we were going to go by an actual projection of what 50% of HRR would look like the cap would likely be $40 million which would absolutely destroy a number of teams without a cross the board salary decrease. The owners have agreed to allow the players to defer their contributions until later in the CBA. A flat cap when league revenues recover and improve will allow the owners to recoup some of their losses.

I personally am not all that worried about a season. There will be one of some kind and the players will likely have to take a prorated salary based on number of games.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What would it take to get Bjorkstrand out of Columbus. Roslovic sign and trade who else.

What about Harkins ,Roslovic and Niku.

then sign 2 free agents.

Connor,Schiefele,Wheeler
Vesalainen,Granlund,Laine
Ehlers,Stastny,Bjorkstrand
Copp,Lowry, Appleton
Perrault

Morrisey,Demelo
Samberg,Pionk
Heinola,Vatanen
Forbort,Appleton

Comparing them at the same age Bjork hadn't done anything any better than Rosie and he was getting more top 6 minutes. No way I would do that trade.

Granlund is not a C.

What do we need Vatanen for if he can't push either DeMelo or Pionk down a notch?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There are two alternate scenarios being presented by professional hockey writers,

A) that due to continued loss of revenue this upcoming shortened season, there will be even less money and capspace available for GM's next offseason.

B) Seattle will take close to 80m of cash from the teams in the league during the XD and there will be more capspace for teams and GM's to work with next of season.

What do you think?

:laugh:
C) Half way between those 2. Or maybe I mean both of those 2?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
or Seattle takes the opposite approach as Vegas and realizes that:

many teams need to clear certain contracts despite many of them being useful players and they could get additional assets

bank on the honeymoon season lasting a few years and building from the group up versus starting at the top like Vegas

I think they are unlikely to do that with Vegas's success staring them in the face. Seattle fans are going to be expecting similar results. I don't think they get them. Other GM's will be smarter this time and they won't have Vegas's luck.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The players didn’t get paid for a full season when there was a lock out and I don’t think they would this time. I heard an interview where Bettman or Daly hinted they preserved that right in the new CBA.

I thought I had heard it straight up that they had. No hinting. But I have no source to prove that.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well said. The issue is that they have to make whole the 50% revenue either way so is it best to take the hit now or try to defer it until later in the CBA. I imagine the current group of players is happy throwing future players under the bus to keep as much as they can now. The issue is that the owners are likely going to really hurt this year and paying full salary less agreed upon escrow for a shortened season isn't likely palatable to them.

I don't think it is even a matter for discussion. I believe the CBA has it already stated. Can't prove that though.

Even If the CBA does not already stipulate prorating, there is no way the owners would even agree to discuss it. Not for 1 minute. This is not even an issue because it won't be considered, much less happen.

Reactions: surixon

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think it takes it off the table altogether.

Comparing them at the same age Bjork hadn't done anything any better than Rosie and he was getting more top 6 minutes. No way I would do that trade.

Granlund is not a C.

What do we need Vatanen for if he can't push either DeMelo or Pionk down a notch?

:laugh:
C) Half way between those 2. Or maybe I mean both of those 2?

I think they are unlikely to do that with Vegas's success staring them in the face. Seattle fans are going to be expecting similar results. I don't think they get them. Other GM's will be smarter this time and they won't have Vegas's luck.

I thought I had heard it straight up that they had. No hinting. But I have no source to prove that.

I don't think it is even a matter for discussion. I believe the CBA has it already stated. Can't prove that though.

Even If the CBA does not already stipulate prorating, there is no way the owners would even agree to discuss it. Not for 1 minute. This is not even an issue because it won't be considered, much less happen.

As an aside, there exists the ability to reply to multiple posts in the same message. ;)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Weager just signed a 3 year deal at 3.25 million per. So if that option is still on the table its a good contract.

Reactions: Mathil8

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair enough, I sometimes do the same
I just thought in the past the mods didn't like repeated posts but perhaps that is relaxed now.

I guess their option is to discourage posting. Since posting is what the site is for, that would be kind of counter-productive.

If you look at the time stamps on a lot of my strings of posts you will see that they are often 10-15-30 minutes apart. Not my fault no one posted in between. I might have read a dozen posts without replying before coming to another I want to reply to.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I guess their option is to discourage posting. Since posting is what the site is for, that would be kind of counter-productive.

If you look at the time stamps on a lot of my strings of posts you will see that they are often 10-15-30 minutes apart. Not my fault no one posted in between. I might have read a dozen posts without replying before coming to another I want to reply to.

I don't think it matters if you separate them, the risk of course is that some posts will be missed after 7 or 8 posts by the same person, but if they're on topic and replies it doesn't matter.

Of course, its preferred to use the multi-quote option ;)

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Weegar re-signing will likely end that trade avenue.

i don’t think so. Having cost certainty would make it more likely if they were/are trying to move him.

I still see a trade with us to get him

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
i don’t think so. Having cost certainty would make it more likely if they were/are trying to move him.

I still see a trade with us to get him

I think a team would be more interested if they could've negotiated with him. This would eliminate some teams who may not like the term, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad