Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not an insider by any means but I did hear that the Jets did "kick tires" on Koekkoek but ultimately decided not to go that route. I think that's when they pivoted to Forbort.

Forbert does bring more snarl and has a longer track record, both things I see the org valuing. If Forbert can put that injury behind him he could be a good second pairing physical defensive dmen for us next season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think it matters if you separate them, the risk of course is that some posts will be missed after 7 or 8 posts by the same person, but if they're on topic and replies it doesn't matter.

Of course, its preferred to use the multi-quote option ;)

The multi-quote only works when a related point can be made in response to more than one post. And it doesn't work when there is a time lag between responses. I already use it about as much as I reasonably can.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Forbert does bring more snarl and has a longer track record, both things I see the org valuing. If Forbert can put that injury behind him he could be a good second pairing physical defensive dmen for us next season.
*third pairing

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I've literally never seen "Forbort" and "snarl" in the same sentence unless it was separated by the word "lacks". Forbort a good positional defenseman but he does not play with much edge at all.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've literally never seen "Forbort" and "snarl" in the same sentence unless it was separated by the word "lacks". Forbort a good positional defenseman but he does not play with much edge at all.

Interesting, I thought playing with grit was one of his calling cards. As someone who has seen him play a decent amount where do you see him slotting in on the roster?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Interesting, I thought playing with grit was one of his calling cards. As someone who has seen him play a decent amount where do you see him slotting in on the roster?

If he can get healthy he could be a decent player on either 2nd or 3rd pairing. He was a great compliment to a guy like Doughty since he's smart and safe. He's what everyone thought Chiarot was (with less physicality). Good positional, solid first pass, good at managing body position, doesn't take unnecessary chances. On a 3rd pairing with someone like Niku I think would be interesting. I think the ideal situation the Jets are hoping for is Forbort is 100% he will be the safe player that allows Pionk to take more chances and come into his own offensively even more so.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably no better than Poolman, who we still have signed this year. And Rutta will likely cost a mil+. Why? Use Poolman on 3rd pairing

I'm fine with Poolman on 3rd pair. Just don't know Rutta and wondering if there is any point getting him. There is not if he isn't better than Poolman.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think people see "defenseman with some size" and assume he plays a physical game, especially when they don't score much. I'd rather he be good at playing his position instead of cruising for hits.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I wonder if the Jets dont just wait and see how things are working. So many things to consider - when the league will actually play, Laine situation, protection list for the expansion draft...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I wonder if the Jets dont just wait and see how things are working. So many things to consider - when the league will actually play, Laine situation, protection list for the expansion draft...

I actually think they are done all their significant moves for this offseason. Might add 1-2 more depth/Moose additions and that’s it. I’m not saying a top 4 LHD is impossible but I think it’s unlikely unless he comes very cheap. I’m very happy with this offseason as it stands now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually think they are done all their significant moves for this offseason. Might add 1-2 more depth/Moose additions and that’s it. I’m not saying a top 4 LHD is impossible but I think it’s unlikely unless he comes very cheap. I’m very happy with this offseason as it stands now.

The only thing I could see happening is a Roslovic trade but given that he's still here I think the chances of him moving prior to some point within the season is fairly low.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'm fine with Poolman on 3rd pair. Just don't know Rutta and wondering if there is any point getting him. There is not if he isn't better than Poolman.
Hard to say on Rutta. He has had a couple decent seasonal time periods of being a positive, viable
defender on a cup running team, as I recall. But never really found a solid fit or committed team. I believe he is 30 now so not likely done yet, either.
He was a valuable member in Chicago for a couple stretches (17/18), and the again in one stretch with Tampa Bay (18/19). He did win a cup with TBL this past season, but I don't recall him standing out much?
He was on a 2 year, 1.3 mil$ contract just ended.
Not sure he commands that much again, but doubt he would accept closer to league minimum and that might be why he is still without a new contract, new team yet?
If we have the cap space left and player #'s not at maximum, I suppose he could be worth having, as a warm body in background for injury fill in, for poor play replacement, new fit trials. He probably is no worse than having Sbisa and adds the experience of a few different organizations with successful runs.
He is a big body and RHS so could fill a backup need, or if he impresses and steps up, could fill the 3rd pairing right side role.
??

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The only thing I could see happening is a Roslovic trade but given that he's still here I think the chances of him moving prior to some point within the season is fairly low.

Jack is the one guy I was thinking might be traded but then again for what? Top 4 LHD rental due to expansion (seems like a waste)? For another forward maybe, aka hockey trade maybe? Or is Chevy giving Jack time to see what other deals are happening so he lowers his ask? Not sure but Chevy is in no hurry.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jack is the one guy I was thinking might be traded but then again for what? Top 4 LHD rental due to expansion (seems like a waste)? For another forward maybe, aka hockey trade maybe? Or is Chevy giving Jack time to see what other deals are happening so he lowers his ask? Not sure but Chevy is in no hurry.

Yeah the expansion draft muddies things. I think he is just going to wait and see what Jack does this year and adjust accordingly. Honestly if Jack is the piece we lose in the expansion draft I wouldnt be that upset. I think he can be replaced fairly easily in FA next season.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Might be that Chevy is trying to sign Roslo for as cheap as possible, workable to a 2 year minimum contract in order to make him available to Seattle ExDrft? But still have him on the roster, affordable for this upcoming season? The market for trading for Roslo is pretty quiet or I am sure we would hear more about it.
My thoughts lean toward letting Roslo go for a draft pick, to a noncompeteing out-of-central division team?, if an offer of such comes, closer to next season start. If: Roslo is unaffordable on next contract ask, holds out refusing to sign, requesting a more formidable role/ icetime (again).
Appears that Chevy is not panicking and is not rushing anything with regards to Roslo.
Anybodies guess on what's next for him??

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have heard they tried hard to move Roslovic in a package for a D man. Almost happened and didn't. I hear they are still looking to move him maybe for draft pick or picks.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I have heard they tried hard to move Roslovic in a package for a D man. Almost happened and didn't. I hear they are still looking to move him maybe for draft pick or picks.
I'm guessing in that weegar/Schmidt shitishow. That's right about when all news about him wanting out came out.

Not sure what his value is in a trade for futures. He's a former 1st rounder that isn't worth a 1st. 2 2nds? Downstairs seem worth it to trade him for that.

Also I think it's important to hang on to him if the writing is on the wall with laine being moved next offseason. With wheeler aging, roslovic in the only RW in our system with top 6 upside.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Interesting. Well hopefully if they move him for a pick they can get a 2nd rounder for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad