Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good question. To keep the golf analogy going, chevy seems to hit fairways and greens. Lots of pars with a few birdies and bogies mixed in.

It's tough to move away from that. The next guy could be the type to drive it 380, but into the rough every once in a while. Chevy is a guy who always makes the cut but rarely wins, whereas the big driver may put it all together for 4 rounds and win a tourney one week, then miss the cut the next.

I think how the Laine situation turns out and (to a lesser extent due to covid) this years results will define chevy's future. Of course maurice is tied into both of those

I'm not calling for Chevy's hide. Your analogy is good.

But it won't hold forever. At some point, he needs to do better. That point hasn't arrived yet. Maurice is another story. I think he has used his last mulligan.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was moved to clear Mason's cap space, in addition to his own increased cap hit. Moving Armia and Mason saved the Jets about $2.5M in cap space in 2018/19 and another $1.4M in cap space in 2019/20.

Remember, the Jets were going to be low on cap space going into free agency in 2018, and they had Trouba and Morrissey as RFAs that were susceptible to offer-sheets. If the Jets hadn't cleared cap space, they would have been a more vulnerable target for offer sheets for one or both of those RFA D.

Yeah, I know why it was done.

There were all kinds of better ways to do that. They have been discussed to death here. No need to re-argue the point. I will never be convinced that that was anything other than a bad decision.

Reactions: scelaton

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
chevy let the laine and Connor contracts handcuff an entire offseason. Used it as an excuse to stand pat

I don't think so. And I have never heard of him making that excuse.

Even if we would have had another 15 mil in cap space I would not have wanted to sign the departed players to the contracts they got elsewhere. Nothing to do with Laine and Connor

But even if you were correct - he then did the right thing, signing Connor and Laine over signing Meyers and Chiarot. Come on.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you want to put it like that it sounds stupid

Gives up 14 mil because he has no chance at winning a cup in his last 2 years and his body is near the end.

You don’t think that if Chevy made some sly moves and improved the defense drastically and the jets were contenders he might of some back ??

He could have gone to any of several contenders and had a shot at another cup + kept his 14 mil. So no. Not a snowballs chance.

And just what the heck do you think those sly moves might have been?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't think so. And I have never heard of him making that excuse.

Even if we would have had another 15 mil in cap space I would not have wanted to sign the departed players to the contracts they got elsewhere. Nothing to do with Laine and Connor

But even if you were correct - he then did the right thing, signing Connor and Laine over signing Meyers and Chiarot. Come on.

I don’t think we should signed those players. We just shouldn’t of stood pat. We had a team that was way worse and the same cap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think we should signed those players. We just shouldn’t of stood pat. We had a team that was way worse and the same cap.

You don't think we should have signed Connor and Laine?

OH wait, you mean we shouldn't have signed Chiarot and Myers. But in the post I replied to you said that signing Connor and Laine "handcuffed the entire off-season".

Your whole argument seems to be that you are not satisfied with the Jets roster so Chevy must be f***ing up. You don't know or care how or why, it just has to be his fault.

So what do you want to do? Fire Chevy? OK, who do they hire to replace him? Look around the league. Which GM's are better than Chevy? It will be a short list.

Reactions: scelaton

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn't forget about it, that's a part of Stastny. The cost of Stastny at his salary was a 4th and a surplus D. It doesn't really matter what his salary is, that's what he cost. Jets had the cap space, and it's only for one year, so it really does not factor in to anything. If your argument is that that money could've been spent elsewhere, well maybe, but that's not what happened, so we don't know that. Stastny was a good fit before and Chevy thinks he'll be a good fit again, so he paid what it cost to get him. He may not have wanted anyone else, or no one else was available at a price he was willing to spend, which was a 4th and and a surplus D.

You are ignoring the potential weapon that cap space could have been. There were a lot of ways that cap could have been used to give us both a more reliable improvement to our roster and a longer term one. This is a unique off-season and there was opportunity there. No telling how it might have turned out if Chevy had chosen to use it differently. Maybe he tried to weaponize it with other teams that are cap strapped and got nowhere. I would be surprised at that though, seeing the teams that are still in cap trouble. But the cap space was by far the biggest part of the cost.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
He hasn't coached, even in the AHL for 7 years. I think his pro coaching career is over.
assistant coach in 1995 while still playing for the Houston Aeros of the IHL as a mid-season replacement. After retiring as a player in 1999, he joined the coaching staff of the Manitoba Moose as an assistant. He held that position for three years until 2002, when he was named to the Buffalo Sabres' coaching staff as an assistant.
After four years with the Sabres, Arniel returned to the Moose as their new head coach when he was hired by their parent club, the Vancouver Canucks. Arniel led the team to the league's best regular season record in 2008–09 and a berth in the Calder Cup finals, earning him the Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award as coach of the year.
Arniel returned to the National Hockey Leagueas a head coach in 2010, when he was hired by the Columbus Blue Jackets.[2] Arniel replaced interim coach Claude Noel, who coincidentally was hired as his replacement in Manitoba. After only one and a half seasons behind the Blue Jackets' bench, Arniel was fired in January 2012.[3]
In June 2012, the Canucks rehired Arniel to coach the Chicago Wolves, their new AHL affiliate.[4] In the summer of 2013, Arniel left the Canucks organization, along with head coach Alain Vigneault, to join the New York Rangers.[5] On April 7, 2018, Arniel was fired along with head coach Alain Vigneault and assistant coach Darryl Williams.[6] On August 6, 2018 the reigning Stanley Cup Champions Washington Capitals hired Arniel as an assistant coach to replace Lane Lambert.[7]

Reactions: bennylundholm

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
chevy let the laine and Connor contracts handcuff an entire offseason. Used it as an excuse to stand pat
I don’t understand your logic on this? The only other options would have been sign them earlier and that cap space would have been accounted for and Chevy wouldn’t have the cap space in the off season and he would have had to stand pat anyways.

Or trade one of them for equal cap coming back, or trade them for draft picks and use their cap to sign a free agent.

basically the only way to not “stand pat” that offseason would have been by trading one of them.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Athletic, 21 agents surveyed and they voted who (bigger names) might be traded within the next year.

NHL agent survey: 21 reps talk star trades, bubble standouts, offseason winners

Laine - 4
Eichel - 4
Marner - 3
M Nylander - 2
Max Pacioretty - 1
JVR - 1
MAF - 1
Werenski - 1
Ryan McDonagh - 1
Quick - 1
Kane & Toews - 1 each

Lots of people believe in hockey clearly that Laine might be moved within the next year or less. Smoke = fire (often). Before anyone say Laine for Eichel, nice dream but highly unlikely, Laine is far from Eichel.

Laine for Eichel! Do it Chevy!

We add. :laugh:

Seriously, lets say Laine has his breakout season this year. Then how far apart are they? How much do we have to add then? Just for fun.

We don't know how many games will be played this year, so lets just talk pace. 45+ G, ppg+, continued improvement in other areas of play. Not out of the question and that is dominant play.

I think this will be a key season for Laine. Not necessarily his career season, but the season when he will answer a lot of questions, one way or another. By next off-season, we won't need to guess at such a wide range for his value and talk about potential so much. That is assuming we get a real season this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
assistant coach in 1995 while still playing for the Houston Aeros of the IHL as a mid-season replacement. After retiring as a player in 1999, he joined the coaching staff of the Manitoba Moose as an assistant. He held that position for three years until 2002, when he was named to the Buffalo Sabres' coaching staff as an assistant.
After four years with the Sabres, Arniel returned to the Moose as their new head coach when he was hired by their parent club, the Vancouver Canucks. Arniel led the team to the league's best regular season record in 2008–09 and a berth in the Calder Cup finals, earning him the Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award as coach of the year.
Arniel returned to the National Hockey Leagueas a head coach in 2010, when he was hired by the Columbus Blue Jackets.[2] Arniel replaced interim coach Claude Noel, who coincidentally was hired as his replacement in Manitoba. After only one and a half seasons behind the Blue Jackets' bench, Arniel was fired in January 2012.[3]
In June 2012, the Canucks rehired Arniel to coach the Chicago Wolves, their new AHL affiliate.[4] In the summer of 2013, Arniel left the Canucks organization, along with head coach Alain Vigneault, to join the New York Rangers.[5] On April 7, 2018, Arniel was fired along with head coach Alain Vigneault and assistant coach Darryl Williams.[6] On August 6, 2018 the reigning Stanley Cup Champions Washington Capitals hired Arniel as an assistant coach to replace Lane Lambert.[7]

I stand corrected. :laugh:

He is a career assistant coach then. Why not hire Charlie Huddy as head coach? :sarcasm:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine for Eichel! Do it Chevy!

We add. :laugh:

Seriously, lets say Laine has his breakout season this year. Then how far apart are they? How much do we have to add then? Just for fun.

We don't know how many games will be played this year, so lets just talk pace. 45+ G, ppg+, continued improvement in other areas of play. Not out of the question and that is dominant play.

I think this will be a key season for Laine. Not necessarily his career season, but the season when he will answer a lot of questions, one way or another. By next off-season, we won't need to guess at such a wide range for his value and talk about potential so much. That is assuming we get a real season this year.

Even if Laine signifantly improved all/most areas of his game that are currently......lacking superstar status.....conditioning, speed, phyiscal play, acceleration, driving play, puck possession, movement in the offensive zone and most of all his defensive game which is still poor. If this results in better all around game, plus he finds his seemingly lost shot and produces 45 g & 80+ points.......big stretches IMO for all or most of those things to happen this season.........still huge problem he's a winger and Eichel is a centre.......I can't see how that can be overcome barring increasing the size of the trade to go Eichel+ for Laine & Mark S. Personally I would sooner trade Laine for something else then Eichel then lose Mark & his crazy good contract. Eichel is just worth so much more then Laine from a production POV and he's a centre.......I just can't see any trade happening barring not including Mark which I wouldn't do.

What would your offer look like?

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I stand corrected. :laugh:

He is a career assistant coach then. Why not hire Charlie Huddy as head coach? :sarcasm:
He had a strong relationship with true North. He loves Winnipeg. He was a former Jet. He has been an assistant coach on a Stanley Cup winner. He has a huge amount of experience. I am not so sure about Charlie Huddie. Arniel will pick the rest of his coaching staff if it comes to fruition. If things don’t improve with the jets this year and Mr.Maurice doesn’t change and be less stubborn he will be out in Winnipeg.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I don’t understand your logic on this? The only other options would have been sign them earlier and that cap space would have been accounted for and Chevy wouldn’t have the cap space in the off season and he would have had to stand pat anyways.

Or trade one of them for equal cap coming back, or trade them for draft picks and use their cap to sign a free agent.

basically the only way to not “stand pat” that offseason would have been by trading one of them.

He didn’t do anything else to improve the roster is what I meant. He just signed those two and didn’t improve the team at all

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
You don't think we should have signed Connor and Laine?

OH wait, you mean we shouldn't have signed Chiarot and Myers. But in the post I replied to you said that signing Connor and Laine "handcuffed the entire off-season".

Your whole argument seems to be that you are not satisfied with the Jets roster so Chevy must be f***ing up. You don't know or care how or why, it just has to be his fault.

So what do you want to do? Fire Chevy? OK, who do they hire to replace him? Look around the league. Which GM's are better than Chevy? It will be a short list.

Going from a contender to bubble team with the same amount of cap over one offseason is his fault.

Not improving anything that offseason is his fault.

Reactions: rkp

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Going from a contender to bubble team with the same amount of cap over one offseason is his fault.

Not improving anything that offseason is his fault.
That’s what happens when you have good young players that are now off their ELC and bridge deals.....

You can’t improve a roster with no cap space, you can rearrange assets to strengthen the defense core but you’d just be weakening our top 6.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
That’s what happens when you have good young players that are now off their ELC and bridge deals.....

You can’t improve a roster with no cap space, you can rearrange assets to strengthen the defense core but you’d just be weakening our top 6.

So just because he needed to sign 2 players it means that trying to improve the team at all is off limits ??? That doesn’t make sense to me

Chevy gets off to easy around here.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
So just because he needed to sign 2 players it means that trying to improve the team at all is off limits ??? That doesn’t make sense to me

Just curious who you think should have been traded to create cap space to sign a free agent and what free agent.

Or who should have be traded and what kind of return would you have liked to see so the team can be improved.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Just curious who you think should have been traded to create cap space to sign a free agent and what free agent.

Or who should have be traded and what kind of return would you have liked to see so the team can be improved.

perrault could of been bought out. That would of freed up some space to grab a dman. I understand there wasn’t much options, but that is also chevys fault. Going from a contender to bubble team and not trying to salvage anything shouldn’t happen IMO

Whileee

May 29, 2010
21 agents.....no clue if that's 20% but if it was that's significant IMO, who knows what all agents might vote. Eichel might just demand it, Sabres have been a disaster for many years. Marner possibly b/c of his contract (Leafs cap situation), would be harder to trade an aging JT.......JT could be traded but Marner likely returns more largely due to ages. Of course none of any of that means anyone of them will be traded.......but at least it's a more informed opinion/information/speculation then HFB posters have and meant as a discussion point. IMO while Laine trade talked peaked pre draft, I still think there is a decent chance/chance he might get traded this offseason. Time will tell.
What I meant was that 4 out of the 21 agents named Laine (tied with Eichel). I would put the odds of an Eichel trade very low, so...

Whileee

May 29, 2010

It's fine to critique Chevy (and he hardly "gets off easy" around here), but the critiques would be more persuasive if they were based on more substantive / relevant issues. Tossing out strategies like "buy out Perreault" is just simplistic, and would have been a bad idea, all things considered (as an example).

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
It's fine to critique Chevy (and he hardly "gets off easy" around here), but the critiques would be more persuasive if they were based on more substantive / relevant issues. Tossing out strategies like "buy out Perreault" is just simplistic, and would have been a bad idea, all things considered (as an example).

I shouldn’t have to remember who was available for trade and which FA were available at that specific time to have a point.

The point is there is zero chance that there was no options available for Chevy to improve the team even with buff holding his cap hostage.

Buying out Perrault is an easy an easy example but would of been just as easy for Chevy to do.

I’m actually impressed with what Chevy did this offseason( for his standards ) I was disappointed in last years offseason

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad