Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think the only way you get Hamilton is to trade for him and then hope he likes the fit, team and organization and wants to stay. Unlikely Winnipeg will be on his radar if/when he is a UFA and he is getting offers from across the league.
No way I trade for him if he isn't re-signed.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have kind of checked out of this thread since the market has gone quite. I am mindful of the fact some teams need to get cap compliant still so there will be some adjusting before the season starts but that was not the busy off season I was expecting league wide.

On balance we patched our 2nd centre hole short term very nicely and maybe long perm with Perfetti so that could be major progress. The D core will be better than last year but not good enough yet unless Samberg has a Morrissey level rookie season IMO.

Watching a guy like Taylor Hall take a discount on a one year deal to play in Buffalo set the table.There is some unfinished business but in the flat cap world with next to no meaningful contracts signed if you measure our progress side by side with all the other teams we grade out ok.

Its always such a cat and mouse game and this year the flat cap appeared to be a hinderance to deal flow especially in the scoring forward category.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I have kind of checked out of this thread since the market has gone quite. I am mindful of the fact some teams need to get cap compliant still so there will be some adjusting before the season starts but that was not the busy off season I was expecting league wide.

On balance we patched our 2nd centre hole short term very nicely and maybe long perm with Perfetti so that could be major progress. The D core will be better than last year but not good enough yet unless Samberg has a Morrissey level rookie season IMO.

Watching a guy like Taylor Hall take a discount on a one year deal to play in Buffalo set the table.There is some unfinished business but in the flat cap world with next to no meaningful contracts signed if you measure our progress side by side with all the other teams we grade out ok.

Its always such a cat and mouse game and this year the flat cap appeared to be a hinderance to deal flow especially in the scoring forward category.

It’s the RFA market that interests me the most. There’s tones of significant RFAs on teams with very little cap space to sign them. Are they going to end up signing very cheap deals just to be able to play? Are they going to sit out? Roslovic, for example. What if the Jets have a 3 year 1.5M AAV offer sitting there? Would that burn bridges? Does it matter if he’s already asking for a trade? Does he have any other options? So many unanswered questions.

Reactions: ps241

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm sure that was part of it, but the Jets would have certainly had contingency plans to offer Laine more, either to voluntarily sign him long term or to match an offer sheet. The discussion here is frequently without nuance.

Great explanation as usual. I’m curious if you agree with me that that it’s as simple as shooting left or right for Connor and laine and their positions on the rosters.

If laine shot left do you think he would be a staple on the first line ? And of Connor shot right do you think we would be talking more about him not performing ?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

Good post

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

More and more its looking like Tampa is pretty screwed. Teams are just waiting them out at this point.

They are going to lose a couple of good pieces for cheap imo.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Who’s job is it to make sure there’s enough cap space?
Chevys job is to put together a good team. Good teams have good players. Good players make more money than bad players. The more good players you have, the more money you'll spend and the closer to the cap you'll be.

Chevy has done an OK job on cap management. Like whilleee pointed out, there were probably contingency plans to move some cap if they could get to a long term deal with laine at a number both sides were comfortable at.

But you can't just go out and find a superstar RHD because you need one. They don't grow on trees, and you don't know the cost to aquirenone, even if he becomes available.

I find it mildly annoying for people to be so anti-chevy when they have no idea what kind of options were/are on the table for him

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Chevys job is to put together a good team. Good teams have good players. Good players make more money than bad players. The more good players you have, the more money you'll spend and the closer to the cap you'll be.

Chevy has done an OK job on cap management. Like whilleee pointed out, there were probably contingency plans to move some cap if they could get to a long term deal with laine at a number both sides were comfortable at.

But you can't just go out and find a superstar RHD because you need one. They don't grow on trees, and you don't know the cost to aquirenone, even if he becomes available.

I find it mildly annoying for people to be so anti-chevy when they have no idea what kind of options were/are on the table for him
I agree with you. The goal this off-season was to try and shore up the D and add a 2C. Chevy's done exactly that. The D today is much better than the D that started last season, and he's left room for Samberg and/or Heinola to make the team, but not left it so he's dependent on it. While people think he should have been paid by Vegas to take Stastny, they just don't know what the market for Stas was, I'm thinking there had to be more than just the Jets looking to grab Stastny. All it cost was a 4th and a surplus D, that's not a high price. If Chevy could've been paid to take Stastny by Vegas, I'm willing to bet he would've been. Nobody knows what might have happened, but we do know what did happen, and that was the cost of Stastny was a 4th and Dahlstrom.

Reactions: Klondiker98

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I agree he isn’t the worst in cap management. I just feel that conners and Laines deals did not have to be the reason that he didn’t pull something to Improve the defense when we lost so much talent. Going with what he have was the worst thing to do and I feel it contributed to buff not wanting to play. Why would he push his battered body when there is no chance at winning a cup and money isn’t everything to him

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree he isn’t the worst in cap management. I just feel that conners and Laines deals did not have to be the reason that he didn’t pull something to Improve the defense when we lost so much talent. Going with what he have was the worst thing to do and I feel it contributed to buff not wanting to play. Why would he push his battered body when there is no chance at winning a cup and money isn’t everything to him

He wasn't planning on loosing so much talent. Buff was our number 1 dmen and he elected not to show last minute.

What we lost was two bottom pairing dmen to FA and we were forced to downgrade Trouba but we still got a top 4 dmen back.

The team was still planning on dressing a functional defense that included two top pairing dmen including an impact number 1 and a decent second pairing offensive dmen and a couple of solid third pairing guys in Kuli, Beau and Poolman.

Not perfect but hardly all that terrible. Chevy really can't be held responsible for Buff and given Buff had no interest in joining other teams thinking he didn't play due to what we lost is silly. He just didn't want to play period.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
He wasn't planning on loosing so much talent. Buff was our number 1 dmen and he elected not to show last minute.

What we lost was two bottom pairing dmen to FA and we were forced to downgrade Trouba but we still got a top 4 dmen back.

The team was still planning on dressing a functional defense that included two top pairing dmen including an impact number 1 and a decent second pairing offensive dmen and a couple of solid third pairing guys in Kuli, Beau and Poolman.

Not perfect but hardly all that terrible. Chevy really can't be held responsible for Buff and given Buff had no interest in joining other teams thinking he didn't play due to what we lost is silly. He just didn't want to play period.
Exactly. Chevy didn't need a first pairing D until it was much too late to get one. Morrissey-Byfuglien, Kulikov-Pionk, Beaulieu-Poolman is what we were supposed to have. Buff bailing put a HUGE hole in the plan. Then Little going down created another. Chevy is not to blame for last year, IMO.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

Gm takes your last chance at winning a cup away by letting half your defense go and not trying to salvage anything and your body is beat up and every year you play it gets worse. I think Chevy has some of the blame personally. It wasn’t intended by chevy but that’s what happened

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Gm takes your last chance at winning a cup away by letting half your defense go and not trying to salvage anything and your body is beat up and every year you play it gets worse. I think Chevy has some of the blame personally. It wasn’t intended by chevy but that’s what happened

Oh please, this is about a big a hot take as there is. If Buff was unhappy with the direction of the team and wanted a cup he could have easily requested a trade to a contender and Chevy would have accommodated it. Heck Chevy is on record as saying that he did ask Buff if he wanted to be moved during the year and Buff said no.

This has nothing to do with what Chevy did or didn't do in the offseason this has everything to do with Buff not wanting to do the work to play anymore period.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
First off, Buff has already won a cup so no one was taking his last chance away. Buff quit hockey plain and simple. He had made enough money to never worry about it again and he had hit the end of the road and didn't want to do what it took to play again recovering from injury in your mid 30's. It was a bad break for Chevy and for us, but it is pretty obvious by now that it wasn't personal to the Jets since multiple teams have approached him to sign as a UFA and he has declined them all. I've been pretty critical of Chevy of late, but that is over what I think he should do now, not making up a past boogeyman that doesn't hold water.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
I agree with you. The goal this off-season was to try and shore up the D and add a 2C. Chevy's done exactly that. The D today is much better than the D that started last season, and he's left room for Samberg and/or Heinola to make the team, but not left it so he's dependent on it. While people think he should have been paid by Vegas to take Stastny, they just don't know what the market for Stas was, I'm thinking there had to be more than just the Jets looking to grab Stastny. All it cost was a 4th and a surplus D, that's not a high price. If Chevy could've been paid to take Stastny by Vegas, I'm willing to bet he would've been. Nobody knows what might have happened, but we do know what did happen, and that was the cost of Stastny was a 4th and Dahlstrom.

You forgot about the $6.5 million in cap space. That is also part of the cost. Quite a bit of money for a 35 year old who was on pace for 44 points last season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You have zero proof of that.

Buff left $14,000,000+ on the table. Just because chevy didn't go out and get a 2LD or a 3RD?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yup. It wasn't splashy or flashy, but he upgraded both spots at little cost. We'll see how it plays out.

Dealing laine - either trading him for full value or signing him long term - is the only real headache chevy has on the horizon (and I guess roslovic to a lesser degree)

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
You have zero proof of that.

Buff left $14,000,000+ on the table. Just because chevy didn't go out and get a 2LD or a 3RD?

I have no proof. I just personally think that if Chevy was more active and helped the defence instead of standing pat maybe buff would
Of pushed his body for another year or two because he was able to win.

Zero chance to win a cup isn’t worth more damage

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Buff gives up $14 million dollars because Myers and Chiarot weren't re-signed. I don't think even Stretch Armstrong could make that reach.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Buff gives up $14 million dollars because Myers and Chiarot weren't re-signed. I don't think even Stretch Armstrong could make that reach.

If you want to put it like that it sounds stupid

Gives up 14 mil because he has no chance at winning a cup in his last 2 years and his body is near the end.

You don’t think that if Chevy made some sly moves and improved the defense drastically and the jets were contenders he might of some back ??

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If you want to put it like that it sounds stupid

Gives up 14 mil because he has no chance at winning a cup in his last 2 years and his body is near the end.

You don’t think that if Chevy made some sly moves and improved the defense drastically and the jets were contenders he might of some back ??

No because he had a bad ankle that he would've needed a long time to recuperate from, and the reason the defence needed drastic improvement over just some minor improvements is that Buff himself left.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I have no proof. I just personally think that if Chevy was more active and helped the defence instead of standing pat maybe buff would
Of pushed his body for another year or two because he was able to win.

Zero chance to win a cup isn’t worth more damage
IF he was that beat up would he even have made that much of a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad