Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don’t know how beat up he was. I just think h would of pushed his body if he thought he had a chance at a cup. I could be wrong,
And I'm asking if he really had to push his body does he really give us a big edge for that cup? I imagine he would be slower, less physical more injury prone like all players at the end of their careers. We were going to be bad defensively no matter what last year IMO.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
And I'm asking if he really had to push his body does he really give us a big edge for that cup? I imagine he would be slower, less physical more injury prone like all players at the end of their careers. We were going to be bad defensively no matter what last year IMO.

We were going to bad even with him and he knew it

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have no proof. I just personally think that if Chevy was more active and helped the defence instead of standing pat maybe buff would
Of pushed his body for another year or two because he was able to win.

Zero chance to win a cup isn’t worth more damage
Buff refused to play for any other team when the Jets offered to trade him. You are grasping at straws to support your perspective about Chevy.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Couple of things about Buff

Buff is not like any other player just not in the uniqueness of what he is but also in the way he thinks. There are some great stories out there about him, one is Duncan Keith talking about him when he first came to Blackhawks camp. He doesn't watch hockey is the gist of the story. That is super odd for a NHL player. I can't think of anyone ever saying that about the sport they play at the highest level. It just goes to show you how the big man thinks.

Secondly, he was beat up physically. Being a bigger man myself, I understand this, especially on the knee and lower area. Once you start to hurt there it doesn't ever seem to get to 100 percent. I get wanting to quit when you start to get like that.

If anything with those guys leaving Buff would be more excited to play because he wants to play as much as he can. The idea is he gets more minutes which is something he loves. He wouldn't come off the ice if he didn't have to. That is the way the guy thinks

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
You forgot about the $6.5 million in cap space. That is also part of the cost. Quite a bit of money for a 35 year old who was on pace for 44 points last season.
I didn't forget about it, that's a part of Stastny. The cost of Stastny at his salary was a 4th and a surplus D. It doesn't really matter what his salary is, that's what he cost. Jets had the cap space, and it's only for one year, so it really does not factor in to anything. If your argument is that that money could've been spent elsewhere, well maybe, but that's not what happened, so we don't know that. Stastny was a good fit before and Chevy thinks he'll be a good fit again, so he paid what it cost to get him. He may not have wanted anyone else, or no one else was available at a price he was willing to spend, which was a 4th and and a surplus D.

Reactions: BatVader

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Jets would get to talk to him first but I can't see him being willing to commit long term without playing for the organization first. This may be a bridge too far for Chevy, but at some point he just might have to take on some risk.

I think there have been and will be situations when Chevy should take on more risk than he typically has in the past. I think that one would be too much risk though, unless the risk was reflected in the price.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn't like seeing the Jets give up Armia as part of a cap dump, but they were also looking at their roster and likely considered Roslovic as a more-than-adequate replacement. Looking at performance metrics, there is some justification for that assessment. In the year prior to trading Armia (2017/18) and the year after the trade (2018/19), Roslovic was a stronger contributor overall than Armia. In 2019/20, Roslovic took a step back, as did most Jets.

View attachment 376534

Also, until last season Roslovic's adjusted shot metrics and goal metrics were better than Armia's.
View attachment 376535

Being able to replace Armia with Rosie doesn't justify the move. The value equation is unchanged. Armia could have been traded for something worthwhile instead.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think chevy gets a mulligan on last year because of the buff and little situations. Any time you lose your 1RD and 2C within the first month or so of the season, you're gonna struggle.

Can't argue with that specifically but how many mulligans does Chevy get?

Maurice seems to get a mulligan every year.

At some point, they need to start playing the ball as it lies.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think there have been and will be situations when Chevy should take on more risk than he typically has in the past. I think that one would be too much risk though, unless the risk was reflected in the price.
Agreed the risk would need to be reflected in the price.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Being able to replace Armia with Rosie doesn't justify the move. The value equation is unchanged. Armia could have been traded for something worthwhile instead.
Well, if clearing cap space allows you to keep a player like Perreault at the time, then some would see that as being something "worthwhile".

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed the risk would need to be reflected in the price.

I doubt it would be - at least normally I would doubt it. This year is different. But Canes would keep him for the year rather than letting him go too cheaply. And making the price conditional on signing him has been prohibited in the new CBA.

Covid will make moving him difficult. It also might be reducing the offer Canes are willing and able to make for him. Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in Carolina and goes to UFA next year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, if clearing cap space allows you to keep a player like Perreault at the time, then some would see that as being something "worthwhile".

I think that is a bit of a stretch.

But he could have been moved to somewhere for something saving his cap space. Flames needed RW's att that time. I like to think we could have gotten a decent prospect from them for him, but even getting just a 3rd would have been better than what was done.

That deal was just so wrong in so many ways that it is really indefensible - though people here keep trying.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Can't argue with that specifically but how many mulligans does Chevy get?

Maurice seems to get a mulligan every year.

At some point, they need to start playing the ball as it lies.
Good question. To keep the golf analogy going, chevy seems to hit fairways and greens. Lots of pars with a few birdies and bogies mixed in.

It's tough to move away from that. The next guy could be the type to drive it 380, but into the rough every once in a while. Chevy is a guy who always makes the cut but rarely wins, whereas the big driver may put it all together for 4 rounds and win a tourney one week, then miss the cut the next.

I think how the Laine situation turns out and (to a lesser extent due to covid) this years results will define chevy's future. Of course maurice is tied into both of those

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with you. The goal this off-season was to try and shore up the D and add a 2C. Chevy's done exactly that. The D today is much better than the D that started last season, and he's left room for Samberg and/or Heinola to make the team, but not left it so he's dependent on it. While people think he should have been paid by Vegas to take Stastny, they just don't know what the market for Stas was, I'm thinking there had to be more than just the Jets looking to grab Stastny. All it cost was a 4th and a surplus D, that's not a high price. If Chevy could've been paid to take Stastny by Vegas, I'm willing to bet he would've been. Nobody knows what might have happened, but we do know what did happen, and that was the cost of Stastny was a 4th and Dahlstrom.

Agree with the first half. Not the 2nd.

We don't know if there was any other bidder for Stats. Chevy probably doesn't either. Personally, I doubt it. Or at least there wasn't likely another bidder willing to take him for free. It might have been more likely in a normal year. This year? Teams willing to take on a 6.5 mil contract for a 35 YO player coming of a down year would be rare as hen's teeth. But for whatever reason, Chevy was willing to make the deal he did. There didn't need to be another bidder. It only needed Chevy to believe there might have been one.

The cost of Stastny was a 4th + Dahlstrom + almost all of the cap we had available for other possible purchases.

This off-season reminds me of the Vegas XD run up. Everybody expected a lot of movement by teams trying to finagle deals with each other to minimize the impact of the XD and deals with Vegas to try and get them to acquire players to flip to fill other teams needs. Instead, all that happened was a few teams trading high picks to keep their roster players plus a couple of teams making hard to understand decisions about who to give up, like Fla for example.

This year people expected a lot of activity as teams struggled to become compliant. So far, not much has happened.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gm takes your last chance at winning a cup away by letting half your defense go and not trying to salvage anything and your body is beat up and every year you play it gets worse. I think Chevy has some of the blame personally. It wasn’t intended by chevy but that’s what happened

OK, right off the bat - Chevy didn't let half the defense go. Chiarot and Myers were not half the defense. They were a #4 and a #5 who both got paid well above that level to go elsewhere. Trouba had to go and he returned a 2nd pair D plus a very promising D prospect. Then Buff pulled the plug - as was his right. The drama there was unfortunate but that is another episode altogether.

S**t happens. That doesn't make it the fault of the guy it lands on.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The Athletic, 21 agents surveyed and they voted who (bigger names) might be traded within the next year.

NHL agent survey: 21 reps talk star trades, bubble standouts, offseason winners

Laine - 4
Eichel - 4
Marner - 3
M Nylander - 2
Max Pacioretty - 1
JVR - 1
MAF - 1
Werenski - 1
Ryan McDonagh - 1
Quick - 1
Kane & Toews - 1 each

Lots of people believe in hockey clearly that Laine might be moved within the next year or less. Smoke = fire (often). Before anyone say Laine for Eichel, nice dream but highly unlikely, Laine is far from Eichel.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that is a bit of a stretch.

But he could have been moved to somewhere for something saving his cap space. Flames needed RW's att that time. I like to think we could have gotten a decent prospect from them for him, but even getting just a 3rd would have been better than what was done.

That deal was just so wrong in so many ways that it is really indefensible - though people here keep trying.
He was moved to clear Mason's cap space, in addition to his own increased cap hit. Moving Armia and Mason saved the Jets about $2.5M in cap space in 2018/19 and another $1.4M in cap space in 2019/20.

Remember, the Jets were going to be low on cap space going into free agency in 2018, and they had Trouba and Morrissey as RFAs that were susceptible to offer-sheets. If the Jets hadn't cleared cap space, they would have been a more vulnerable target for offer sheets for one or both of those RFA D.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Athletic, 21 agents surveyed and they voted who (bigger names) might be traded within the next year.

NHL agent survey: 21 reps talk star trades, bubble standouts, offseason winners

Laine - 4
Eichel - 4
Marner - 3
M Nylander - 2
Max Pacioretty - 1
JVR - 1
MAF - 1
Werenski - 1
Ryan McDonagh - 1
Quick - 1
Kane & Toews - 1 each

Lots of people believe in hockey clearly that Laine might be moved within the next year or less. Smoke = fire (often). Before anyone say Laine for Eichel, nice dream but highly unlikely, Laine is far from Eichel.
"Lots of people" = 20% of agents?

I would be very surprised if Eichel or Marner got traded, and basically Laine is in the same category in terms of agent speculation.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
OK, right off the bat - Chevy didn't let half the defense go. Chiarot and Myers were not half the defense. They were a #4 and a #5 who both got paid well above that level to go elsewhere. Trouba had to go and he returned a 2nd pair D plus a very promising D prospect. Then Buff pulled the plug - as was his right. The drama there was unfortunate but that is another episode altogether.

S**t happens. That doesn't make it the fault of the guy it lands on.

chevy let the laine and Connor contracts handcuff an entire offseason. Used it as an excuse to stand pat

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
"Lots of people" = 20% of agents?

I would be very surprised if Eichel or Marner got traded, and basically Laine is in the same category in terms of agent speculation.

21 agents.....no clue if that's 20% but if it was that's significant IMO, who knows what all agents might vote. Eichel might just demand it, Sabres have been a disaster for many years. Marner possibly b/c of his contract (Leafs cap situation), would be harder to trade an aging JT.......JT could be traded but Marner likely returns more largely due to ages. Of course none of any of that means anyone of them will be traded.......but at least it's a more informed opinion/information/speculation then HFB posters have and meant as a discussion point. IMO while Laine trade talked peaked pre draft, I still think there is a decent chance/chance he might get traded this offseason. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad