Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hamilton makes sense to me if they can't figure out a deal before the TDL.
I was thinking Hamilton as well. What about making a deal now and then working on signing him? What do you think the cost is for a one year rental with the hope of signing is?

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I was thinking Hamilton as well. What about making a deal now and then working on signing him? What do you think the cost is for a one year rental with the hope of signing is?
Likely not the equivalent of 3 1st rounders. If we're handing over all of Roslovic, Heinola, and a 2021 1st (which I would presume to be middle of the pack), then I think we get an additional asset in return. Is Jarvis too much?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting idea. Any top pairing RHD you have in mind?

If Florida is still looking to shed salary then I could see this for Ekblad next summer. Not sure how else is out there that might be available I would have to do some digging.

We really don't have the capspace this year unless a team will take on Perrault as part of the deal.

Maybe Perrault, Roslovic, Heinola and a 1st for a signed Hamilton and a second.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Florida is still looking to shed salary then I could see this for Ekblad next summer. Not sure how else is out there that might be available I would have to do some digging.

We really don't have the capspace this year unless a team will take on Perrault as part of the deal.

Maybe Perrault, Roslovic, Heinola and a 1st for a signed Hamilton and a second.
Let’s say Hamilton wasn’t signed? What is the cost then? Time to take a bit of a gamble and hope you can sign him.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Florida can't trade ekblad. Their D rivals ours in terms of lack of depth. Why would they do that, and what could we offer that any other team wouldn't beat?

The answer is laine, but i still don't think they do it

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Let’s say Hamilton wasn’t signed? What is the cost then? Time to take a bit of a gamble and hope you can sign him.

Hard to say what that might cost if we also have to include Perrault in the deal.

Roslovic, Perrault plus a 1st and 2nd is about all I would be comfortable with

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I wouldn't consider trading any assets like that unless the player is re-signed.
Trading away all of that and Hamilton decides to sign elsewhere would set us back too far.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Yeah sometimes it is hard for threads to stay consistent but any talk of Chevy is related to trades since he is the person at the helm. If we are traders at this years TD I think Maurice is gone and Chevy is on the clock and will be expected to turn things around very very quickly.

chevy should already be on the clock IMO. 10 years and 2 playoff series wins.

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But why did the Jets take a step back? Losing some depth UFAs like Tanev, Myers, Chiarot. Buff retiring, Little's injury problems. What could Chevy do about any of that really?
I think it's pretty clear...

2018/19 - Buff, Ehlers, Morrissey injuries for the 2nd half of the season.
2019/20 - Lost Buff, Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, Little. Morrissey had a really rough season trying to carry a very thin D.

Reactions: larmex99

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

2019/20 - Lost Buff, Trouba, Myers, Chiarot, Little. Morrissey had a really rough season trying to carry a very thin D.

That may sound significant but I think if Pomo played the 4th line another minute each game that would solve all those problems....

Reactions: Krauser

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

If we give Chevy the benefit of the doubt that he got dealt a couple bad hands what is the plan going forward?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That may sound significant but I think if Pomo played the 4th line another minute each game that would solve all those problems....
Playing some combination of our bottom 6 an extra minute a game is going to make up for the loss of a couple top pairing defenceman?

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Hamilton seems to be happy and a good fit in Carolina unlike in BOS/CAL. I think he will resign with the Hurricanes long term.

What about Vatanen ?

There you have a good mentor and team mate for Heinola and he has proven he can quaterback a first line pp unit. Can still shoot and does not have a muffin pass.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Hamilton seems to be happy and a good fit in Carolina unlike in BOS/CAL. I think he will resign with the Hurricanes long term.

What about Vatanen ?

There you have a good mentor and team mate for Heinola and he has proven he can quaterback a first line pp unit. Can still shoot and does not have a muffin pass.

Vatanen doesn't really fit the top pair RHD role that we're discussing Hamilton for. I like Vatanen but he'd be a third pairing guy right now.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see using Armia to move a bad contract as Chevy's worst move. He is a 30 point bottom 6 winger, probably the easiest commodity on the open market to get for free. He isn't even close to the top Hab forwards in underlying numbers and for $2.6 M he is about what you pay for. Copp is more valuable for $320,000 less per year. I would have preferred a MP buyout but I'd be open to a cap dump price at this point if it was followed by using the cap space to get a player at under the previous market price.

And it was entirely unnecessary. Not to mention there were also 2 picks included in that deal. I think you are understating Armia's value. He is exactly what you keep saying Chevy needs to get, a proven bottom 6 player. He is an outstanding forechecker and scored at a 42 pt pace last year. He is worth more than Roslovic but people here keep proposing getting pretty good returns on Roslovic.

If Chevy had recovered Perreault's cap space what could he have done with it? Who could he have got with it, at what cost?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wait a year if you want Hamilton and save the pieces going to the Canes.
I think the only way you get Hamilton is to trade for him and then hope he likes the fit, team and organization and wants to stay. Unlikely Winnipeg will be on his radar if/when he is a UFA and he is getting offers from across the league.

Reactions: thereturn

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And it was entirely unnecessary. Not to mention there were also 2 picks included in that deal. I think you are understating Armia's value. He is exactly what you keep saying Chevy needs to get, a proven bottom 6 player. He is an outstanding forechecker and scored at a 42 pt pace last year. He is worth more than Roslovic but people here keep proposing getting pretty good returns on Roslovic.

If Chevy had recovered Perreault's cap space what could he have done with it? Who could he have got with it, at what cost?
I don't see as much value in Armia as you do, but I don't disagree that he would be an upgrade in our bottom 6. What I'd really like to see is an upgrade beyond Armia.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yet you've criticized Chevy for not having Vegas pay the Jets to take on Stastny. Getting rid of the full cap and not spreading it around is worth it to me - we may disagree but there is value to not having dead cap on the roster.

Not to mention I think Armia's value is severely overrated by some here, and only because he was traded.

I like stealing the other guy's candy a lot more than I like having my candy stolen.

I agree that there is value in not having dead cap on the roster, or players who are simply overpaid. It is the method of dealing with that that I don't like. Perreault should have been traded 2 years ago, when he still had some value, even if it wasn't much.

I think that has been a failure of Chevy's. He needs to be better at recognizing when it is time to recoup some value on players as they age. He should have traded Myers at that same time. He got lucky when Ladd turned down the offer. Can't judge the Little extension fairly because of injury, but it wasn't looking great. The jury is still out on the Wheeler extension. It is looking good so far but it has 4 more years to go.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like stealing the other guy's candy a lot more than I like having my candy stolen.

I agree that there is value in not having dead cap on the roster, or players who are simply overpaid. It is the method of dealing with that that I don't like. Perreault should have been traded 2 years ago, when he still had some value, even if it wasn't much.

I think that has been a failure of Chevy's. He needs to be better at recognizing when it is time to recoup some value on players as they age. He should have traded Myers at that same time. He got lucky when Ladd turned down the offer. Can't judge the Little extension fairly because of injury, but it wasn't looking great. The jury is still out on the Wheeler extension. It is looking good so far but it has 4 more years to go.

I agree with a lot of this although I wonder if there is some of that small town Winnipeg mentality here in that he doesn't want to move players when the team is winning or in contention for a playoff spot in order not to piss the room off.

I don't know the internal dynamics but I would have been a bit more aggressive moving out expiring pieces especially early in our tenure.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree with a lot of this although I wonder if there is some of that small town Winnipeg mentality here in that he doesn't want to move players when the team is winning or in contention for a playoff spot in order not to piss the room off.

I don't know the internal dynamics but I would have been a bit more aggressive moving out expiring pieces especially early in our tenure.
Just curious as to who you would've moved out?
Oduya, Ponikarovsky, Ladd & Stafford were all dealt.
Hainsey could only get a PTO after he left here, Antropov never played in the NHL again, nor did Jim Slater, Kyle Wellwood or Tim Stapleton. I can't see a market for those players. Olli Jokinen ended up playing for three teams the next year and was done in the league, don't really think he was an option to anyone either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad