Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I’ll agree with you that maybe Polie won’t do these things and stay the course with these bigger contracts but, just as a fan, is it something you would consider I guess is what I’m getting at. It is just a message board after all. What direction would you go in with the Ekholm, McD, RyJo, Duchene situations?
Yes, half of this board "gets it" in terms of this being purely an armchair GM thread where it is just fun to talk about these things regardless of whether they are realistic or not, and the other half doesn't. So you get a bit of a mix of responses.

But regardless, it's truth that the Preds are chasing a playoff spot, so there is no way any of these players would move during this season.

And I think the organizational philosophy (which I happen to agree with) is to always chase making the playoffs, so I don't see any value in moving any of McDonagh, Duchene, or Ekholm at weak/negative returns, even in the off-season. We don't have any prospect defensemen ready to step in. Duchene's buyout is prohibitive. So none of them are even candidates for the thought experiment. Whether we barely make or barely miss the playoffs this year, we are going to come right back and try for the same thing again next year. And I'm onboard with that. Hopefully with a new coach, is all.

Only Johansen is at least a candidate to move, by virtue of his buyout being somewhat more palatable, combined with us having 3 young centers stepping up and showing nicely right now in Glass, Parssinen, and Novak, coupled with the potential for a very deflated UFA market this summer possibly allowing us to spend the $5.3M saved via a Johansen buyout on players who could help our team more. But again, even in purely "though experiment" mode, that requires a lot of things to transpire first: the young centers have to keep it up, the UFA market has to get closer and show signs of living up to its bargain billing, and Johansen has to continue in a somewhat mundane/mediocre way this season for it to even start to crystallize. Then we could at least rally for that buyout as fans. It still won't happen, though, so there's always going to be a limited amount of enthusiasm for that rallying.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I feel like there's no real reason to move anyone at the deadline since all the names we might move will still be under team control going into next season. If Boro is done for the season which seems likely then maybe add a depth D, but I feel like Gravel/McKeown/Gross have been serviceable as bottom pairing guys. On offense I'd much rather bring up Tomasino if we feel we need more scoring punch than try and add via trade, and Jankowski/McCarron are perfectly good fill ins if we need a bottom six/PKer type.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So with glass now around a 0.5 ppg pace and picking up steam, where do we think his rfa contract lands this offseason? Ive had him penciled in at less then 2M but thats probably not likely now which really throws a wrench into the idea of keeping fabbro, carrier, and jeannot.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Lauzon looked lost. Fabbro should have been up with Ekholm. I am just so frustrated with his treatment after playing so well with Josi last season
These kind of self-defeating decisions are why I won't ever jump off the "Fire Hynes!" bandwagon, even if the team pulls this season somewhat out of the fire by making the playoffs. If they do, it will be firmly "despite" Hynes, instead of with any credit due to him.

And just like the Cole Smith saga, I kind of like Lauzon, and certainly I have room for him and Smith on my team, within the roles they are suited for. Just... you know... :banghead:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
These kind of self-defeating decisions are why I won't ever jump off the "Fire Hynes!" bandwagon, even if the team pulls this season somewhat out of the fire by making the playoffs. If they do, it will be firmly "despite" Hynes, instead of with any credit due to him.

And just like the Cole Smith saga, I kind of like Lauzon, and certainly I have room for him and Smith on my team, within the roles they are suited for. Just... you know... :banghead:
And its exactly why I'm on it. The guy just has some odd ideas about players, and I get sometimes that will vary from what fans see, but when you are doing some of the things that he is doing if I'm a GM I'm sitting him down and asking some serious questions.

Once again, having guys like Smith on your 4th line isn't a bad thing all the time, but when you are trying to put them in the top 6 I gotta question your mental capacity. Same thing with Sissons, moving Lauzon to his offside on the 2nd pair rather than just moving Fabbro up, and a whole host of other things we've covered over the last year.

Look under any coach the team might not be anymore than it is, but some of his decisions are so iffy and flung against the wall it makes you think the team could be better with a better coach.

As far as most of these guys asked about in trades, simply put they aren't going anywhere. Poile isn't going to retain multi years on a contract. He's not going to buy picks or assets by taking on bad contracts. He never has so thinking a guy 40 years into a career is suddenly going to is a pipe dream

Joey might get moved in his final season but wouldn't shock me at all if he doesn't. Ekholm isn't going anywhere, Granlund is someone that Poile might move, especially if Hyne's gets the boot, and Fabbro is one of those guys much like Tolvanen that I don't think Poile wanted to see leave the team but Hynes already has made up his mind so if he isn't going to play them then why keep them.

Ultimately Hynes needs to go for this team to get in a better place, both from a prospect and a vetern perspective and hopefully Poile and the owners aren't pinching penny's so much that they refuse to fire a bad coach just to keep from paying two.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm a big Fabbro defender but I just don't think Ekholm and Fabbro have played well together and Fabbro seems to be able to adjust better to new playing partners than Lauzon has been able too. Now, the TOI is a different story.

All and all, Fabbro had a good game.
Same. Don't know that I have a strong opinion about the pairings, I can see how you wouldn't want Lauzon on his off side with Gravel on the third pair so whatever. But getting to the end of the game and Fabbro is only at 14 minutes is something I just don't understand.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
@Porter Stoutheart at the risk of sounding like a dick, no, this is NOT an armchair GM thead...

We have one of those already

This is a trade deadline thread where the talk is about trades that should or might actually happen. So someone coming on here and getting their feathers ruffled because we wont discuss salary retention on Johansen(because there is zero chance he moves at this deadline, retention or not) needs to understand this fact

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
@Porter Stoutheart at the risk of sounding like a dick, no, this is NOT an armchair GM thead...

This is a trade deadline thread where the talk is about trades that should or might actually happen. So someone coming on here and getting their feathers ruffled because we wont discuss salary retention on Johansen(because there is zero chance he moves at this deadline, retention or not) needs to understand this fact
So this one is for realistic expectations only

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

:thumbu: Pretty sure I covered the reality of the situation quite thoroughly also. Mods can move the rest of my post to the Armchair thread, that’d be great.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Can anyone seriously see Poile gutting the team at the TDL?

This roster was built to get to the playoffs and advance beyond a 1st round sweep. That was the plan going in. While we're still in the hunt for a playoff position, it's hard to see Poile just pulling the plug on it.

Reactions: PredsV82

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Can anyone seriously see Poile gutting the team at the TDL?

This roster was built to get to the playoffs and advance beyond a 1st round sweep. That was the plan going in. While we're still in the hunt for a playoff position, it's hard to see Poile just pulling the plug on it.
Poile will do Poile things this year just like he does every year, add a defensive depth piece maybe and call it a day.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
There's only so many times we can re-post our expectation that Poile will trade a 6th round pick for Justin Braun and that's all he'll do at the trade deadline. But hey, with 4 or 5 more weeks to go, I figure I can get that in at least a few more times.

I'm assuming there will be a brisk market for Gavrikov, Gudas, Mayfield, Schenn, even Kulikov from the contenders paying stupid prices, so that we don't end up with much to choose from. Although Klingberg has been sooo meh, at his high pro-rated Cap hit, maybe he draws less interest than one might have thought. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
What would the ask be for RyJo with no retention, some retention and max retention?
There is no ask that involves any retention, that's going to be a Poile non-starter.

In the summer, hence not for this thread, it's sort of similar to the concept above of buying him out. (I think we can politely answer visiting queries for Deadline deals here too, right? That should be allowed.) And so in the summer, I would hope we'd at least be willing to give him away for free... still with no retention... *IF* we see something on the UFA market we can use his money on. But if the UFA market looks pretty bland, and/or if he plays really well down the stretch, perhaps even that wouldn't be considered by Preds management. Sorry. :(

Reactions: Perratrooper

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Once the deadline passes, I'll close this. Offseason moves can be discussed in the Armchair thread.

Not sure why there are two threads, but here we are.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Once the deadline passes, I'll close this. Offseason moves can be discussed in the Armchair thread.

Not sure why there are two threads, but here we are.

I wasn’t sure where to best post it as it could theoretically fall into either, but sorry for the added confusion!

What’s the general consensus on how the Preds should approach the trade deadline?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
What’s the general consensus on how the Preds should approach the trade deadline?
I don’t know if there’s much of a consensus, but my general desire would mostly align with what I expect the club to do… ie not much.

The team has a relatively lighter schedule when they come back from the break leading up to the Trade Deadline. So I anticipate they’ll stay in the playoff race. Therefore no Selling. But also remain pragmatic enough not to become significant Buyers either.
:dunno:

Because I am a dumbass and tried a different conversation
Naw, it’s a valid one. Just there is a certain unavoidable gray zone between what’s realistic and what’s armchair fantasy at this point, nobody truly knows what Poile will do.

Reactions: Perratrooper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad