Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The percentage of prospects that make it to the NHL are low for sure but there were times when the hopes and dreams of this team and fanbase were hanging on whether Jimmy Vesey would sign with the Preds or not. Or which defensemen would be good enough to use in a "hockey trade" to swap him and a forward.

Having Tomasino who, we know, can play in the NHL and Evangelista in his first season out of juniors scoring at a PPG pace in the AHL is very different than any time I can remember, except for maybe Arvidsson and Forsberg, in this franchises history. These two aren't your 26-27 year old AHL PPG players that are signed to fill out the AHL team having proven that their abilities don't translate to the NHL, these are honest to goodness NHL forward prospects that the Predators have. That's something for us to be look forward to, if not be downright excited about.

As to the other prospects still in Europe and juniors, who knows how they'll turn out but the guys in Europe, playing against men in their respective leagues and succeeding, are worth paying attention to.

Oh I agree, we certainly have some guys who will make the team, but some of these guys who haven't even gotten to the AHL don't belong on any list of soon to come preds.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If we want to get tomasino or Evangalista top 6 time, one of granlund or nino will need tk be moved (forsberg and duchene arent going anywhere).

Nino just got here and is tied for 2nd on the team in goals. We are starved for goals so i dont think itd make sense to trade him.

That really just leaves granlund but that would require Poile trading one of Hynes' go to players.

Other option is to change the identity of the bottom 6 and run a 3rd line thats a scoring line similar to what was played around with last season with tolvanen glass and tomasino. Hynes hasnt really gone that way this season so i dont think thats going to change this far into the season.

The Herd line has been as close to an offensive line as weve had in the bottom 6 with the 4th line usually being some mixture of cole smith, random center, Sissons/Jankowski/random RW.

Hopefully, Poile can pull out a hockey trade but i just dont see anything big coming

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
If we want to get tomasino or Evangalista top 6 time, one of granlund or nino will need tk be moved (forsberg and duchene arent going anywhere).

Nino just got here and is tied for 2nd on the team in goals. We are starved for goals so i dont think itd make sense to trade him.

That really just leaves granlund but that would require Poile trading one of Hynes' go to players.

Other option is to change the identity of the bottom 6 and run a 3rd line thats a scoring line similar to what was played around with last season with tolvanen glass and tomasino. Hynes hasnt really gone that way this season so i dont think thats going to change this far into the season.

The Herd line has been as close to an offensive line as weve had in the bottom 6 with the 4th line usually being some mixture of cole smith, random center, Sissons/Jankowski/random RW.

Hopefully, Poile can pull out a hockey trade but i just dont see anything big coming
Maybe Poile will pull a Billy Bean and trade Hynes’ go to guys that aren’t producing and force his hand.
(Clarifying statement so no one gets their knickers in a twist: This is a joke! I know it will never happen.)

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Maybe Poile will pull a Billy Bean and trade Hynes’ go to guys that aren’t producing and force his hand.
(Clarifying statement so no one gets their knickers in a twist: This is a joke! I know it will never happen.)
That'd be something to see, they seem to be on the same page but you never know.

Are there situations like that in sports anymore where a GM is forced to work with a coach that isn't his own choice?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
That'd be something to see, they seem to be on the same page but you never know.

Are there situations like that in sports anymore where a GM is forced to work with a coach that isn't his own choice?
I don't know, it sounds like the recent Vancouver situation was like that to start the year, between Rutherford and Boudreau, but the GM has since reasserted himself. :dunno:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Tanner Jeannot's complete inability to score this season is a huge factor in the 3rd line not being a scoring line as it was last year. He's dropped from the league's rookie goal leader last season to on pace for about five goals, none scored since late October, and fewer points per game than Smith. Meanwhile Trenin and Sissons are providing decent 3rd line type scoring numbers on pace for 12-15 ish each.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Tanner Jeannot's complete inability to score this season is a huge factor in the 3rd line not being a scoring line as it was last year. He's dropped from the league's rookie goal leader last season to on pace for about five goals, none scored since late October, and fewer points per game than Smith. Meanwhile Trenin and Sissons are providing decent 3rd line type scoring numbers on pace for 12-15 ish each.
I can't figure Jeannot out. He's not shooting off the rush as much but he's getting chances, just can't finish.

Sissons numbers got boosted a bit by playing with Forsberg.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hey - Canes fan in the house here. Been reading through the thread about RyJo and Duchene.

Would Nashville retain $2-2.5m on RyJo? I get that the buyout would be 4 x 2.67m so this would only save a little bit more on the cap but it would also only be for 2 years (after this one) vs 4 after the season for the buyout and you could get a positive asset back.

Not saying a 1st or top prospect but let’s say a B prospect and a mid pick.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Hey - Canes fan in the house here. Been reading through the thread about RyJo and Duchene.

Would Nashville retain $2-2.5m on RyJo? I get that the buyout would be 4 x 2.67m so this would only save a little bit more on the cap but it would also only be for 2 years (after this one) vs 4 after the season for the buyout and you could get a positive asset back.

Not saying a 1st or top prospect but let’s say a B prospect and a mid pick.
Not retaining on Johansen just to get rid of the contract. His is the earliest of the "big" contracts up and, at the very least, he helps to shelter our young centers. He won't be bought out and will only be traded for some kind of value to make it worth it (especially if retaining, which Poile isn't likely to do regardless).

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not retaining on Johansen just to get rid of the contract. His is the earliest of the "big" contracts up and, at the very least, he helps to shelter our young centers. He won't be bought out and will only be traded for some kind of value to make it worth it (especially if retaining, which Poile isn't likely to do regardless).
Fair enough. Personally I can’t see any team trading for him without retention at all, let alone traded for a positive asset based on what he’s owed.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I mean… can you see any team pay a positive asset for RyJo at full salary?

Fine if you want to keep him then that’s all good but this thread is filled with posts about buying him out and that he’s 3-4 mil overpaid
I don't see any team offering a positive asset at his full salary. He's also overpaid. That out of the way, he's more valuable to this roster and the development of our young centers than a warm body prospect and a mediocre pick (while also having to retain). In the event we continue making it into the playoffs, he's also a better player in the post-season than he is during the regular season.

As for buying him out, I think those posters are missing the plot a bit. There's nothing we can do with that cap space in the next two years that will make us any more than a middling maybe-playoff team, and having to take a dead cap hit for an additional two is the same type of scenario that just lost us Tolvanen. I also think there's a chance he gets some value back in his expiring year for a team looking to supplement their center depth and the contract is less of an albatross worry.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I mean… can you see any team pay a positive asset for RyJo at full salary?

Fine if you want to keep him then that’s all good but this thread is filled with posts about buying him out and that he’s 3-4 mil overpaid
As noted elsewhere in the thread, buying him out is only contingent on various other conditionals, none of which we can be sure will turn out as of today. It's an idea that has merit from a purely logical/intelligent armchair management perspective, *IF* those conditionals arise. So we talk about it. But at the same time, we KNOW for 100% certain that Poile will never do it, regardless. And it's also quite likely those conditionals either won't arise at all, or that they'll arise on a timeline that doesn't align with making it viable. So it's an interesting idea that's fun to talk about. But you needn't take it seriously.

And everybody knows at the same time that no positive asset would be obtained for him in a trade, that's never in question.

Hence I think all are fully expecting to see him play out his current contract in Nashville.

While still drawing the same criticisms as always about his salary and sometimes-lackadaisical style. It's just kind of a permanent part of the environment here, it's like death and taxes.

Reactions: hockey diva

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Here are the guys I would trade and just about all are value driven

Granlund
McDonagh
Johansen
Fabbro , only because he’s getting a raise and will overpriced for how he is used. Also think his usage is garbage
Lankinen

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
The Carrier injury probably raises the odds of us trading for some extra depth on D. At least the long break partially mitigates that.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't see any team offering a positive asset at his full salary. He's also overpaid. That out of the way, he's more valuable to this roster and the development of our young centers than a warm body prospect and a mediocre pick (while also having to retain). In the event we continue making it into the playoffs, he's also a better player in the post-season than he is during the regular season.

As for buying him out, I think those posters are missing the plot a bit. There's nothing we can do with that cap space in the next two years that will make us any more than a middling maybe-playoff team, and having to take a dead cap hit for an additional two is the same type of scenario that just lost us Tolvanen. I also think there's a chance he gets some value back in his expiring year for a team looking to supplement their center depth and the contract is less of an albatross worry.
Couldn’t you use the $5-6m in cap space to take on bad contracts that have good positive assets attached to them?

I guess it’s expends on the direction that the team wants to go in. If you want to try and win over the next 2-3 years then I’d say no you probably stay the course and just hope things start working out better with tweaks here and there. But that’s also a good way to stay in that mid pack of the league.

I just saw Nashville as a team that has some older players that teams may be interested if their salaries were less. That could free up enough space to change the complexion of the team so in 3-4 years you’ve got a different team with a different core and you’re further ahead than just waiting out these contracts to expire and then starting the process then.

As noted elsewhere in the thread, buying him out is only contingent on various other conditionals, none of which we can be sure will turn out as of today. It's an idea that has merit from a purely logical/intelligent armchair management perspective, *IF* those conditionals arise. So we talk about it. But at the same time, we KNOW for 100% certain that Poile will never do it, regardless. And it's also quite likely those conditionals either won't arise at all, or that they'll arise on a timeline that doesn't align with making it viable. So it's an interesting idea that's fun to talk about. But you needn't take it seriously.

And everybody knows at the same time that no positive asset would be obtained for him in a trade, that's never in question.

Hence I think all are fully expecting to see him play out his current contract in Nashville.

While still drawing the same criticisms as always about his salary and sometimes-lackadaisical style. It's just kind of a permanent part of the environment here, it's like death and taxes.
I’ll agree with you that maybe Polie won’t do these things and stay the course with these bigger contracts but, just as a fan, is it something you would consider I guess is what I’m getting at. It is just a message board after all. What direction would you go in with the Ekholm, McD, RyJo, Duchene situations?

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
All this talk of big trades and dumping assets is kind of irrelevant right now. We are in the hunt for a playoff spot and unless we fall dramatically after the break Poile wont be a seller. He will make a "hockey trade" if it makes sense but any cap clearing moves will be made after the season.

Reactions: triggrman

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
All this talk of big trades and dumping assets is kind of irrelevant right now. We are in the hunt for a playoff spot and unless we fall dramatically after the break Poile wont be a seller. He will make a "hockey trade" if it makes sense but any cap clearing moves will be made after the season.
I agree. The Preds just went 9-3 in the month of Jan and are knocking on the door for 3rd in the Central as well as a WC spot. If they can continue to play well in Feb that will determine some players fate.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So.... after watching Lauzon get promoted to 2nd pairing duties and thrown to his offhand side instead of simply putting Fabbro up there is it safe to say that Fabbro is on the outs in Nashville?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad