Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
So you are a troll and don't actually watch the games, got it. We may not make the playoffs but it ain't just because of Joey. No one on this team has set the world on fire this year.
No, Is the definition of a troll someone who watches the games and wants the team to improve while calling out a player who essentially sucks? See you in one year when you realize it's true........

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No, Is the definition of a troll someone who watches the games and wants the team to improve while calling out a player who essentially sucks? See you in one year when you realize it's true........
Why would I need to wait a year? I've been watching the Preds since 1998, I already know what he is and terrible isn't the word for it. Bet you liked that goal and assist he put up tonight.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Johansen is terrible, the play dies with him all the time. The Preds won't make the playoffs this year.....
we probably aren’t winning a cup anytime soon either. so what do we accomplish from buying him out in the last 2 years? I’m never been a fan of his contract from day 1. i was an outspoken critic before it was cool. there’s nothing to gain from buying him out.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
we probably aren’t winning a cup anytime soon either. so what do we accomplish from buying him out in the last 2 years? I’m never been a fan of his contract from day 1. i was an outspoken critic before it was cool. there’s nothing to gain from buying him out.
Buying out Turris made sense because it appears not only was he bad but he didn't get along with anyone either. Joey isn't worth 8 million a year but he's not a bad player. If he was making 4-5 a season no one would really complain because the expectations would be different.

He's essentially a decent 2nd, great 3rd line center that is good on the PP at this point in his career. That said for us he allows us to insulate the younger centers a bit while not being totally useless. That's not worth 8 million but it does have value.

Ekholm will essentially be the same thing here pretty soon. Those guys have value on a roster full of young players if you don't overpay them too much.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If Joey came in at 5M, people would really like what he brings to the table. Sadly he comes in at 8M. He performs great in the playoffs but i dont think we are playoff bound.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If Joey came in at 5M, people would really like what he brings to the table. Sadly he comes in at 8M. He performs great in the playoffs but i dont think we are playoff bound.
Well I would have liked him A LOT at $5M last year. Even $8M wasn't too bad. But not so much this one or the couple before that. But the real key difference is that we had no choice before. This time I think the really really big difference is - or COULD BE anyhow - that we might finally have a choice.

It still requires a little bit of additional information gathering. But I honestly don't see too much value in Johansen as an "insulating" presence or whatever to shield the young players if: A) those young players are as good or better than him, B) we're not contending anyway, C) we can use his money productively elsewhere in the lineup to make us a better team overall.

I'm gaining confidence in A. I can't see B changing much, but I expect Poile et co. to think it might. And C is a big fat mystery box. We'll see how that all progresses by the latter half of June when a decision is required. But at least for the first time things are aligning that make it truly worth continuing to talk about.

Although it still comes down ultimately to Poile's willingness to pay to retain/buy him out, and no matter how much sense either of those options will ever seem to make, I still won't expect Poile to actually do it. So regardless, I will fully expect Joey to be playing out his contract here. Just to be clear on that. But I will start to hold that as a strike against Poile if the conditions arise to make that a clearly foolish decision. Which hasn't happened to date. But which is what I am saying might finally arise. So this is only ever going to be an exercise in validating criticism of Poile, in case anybody thinks otherwise.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think the main question to be answered for this Trade Deadline thread is STILL whether Poile will be a Buyer or not.

He's NOT going to be a Seller, for a large host of reasons. All the talk of doing something with any of the high-priced veterans, by trade, buyout, waiving, whatever... that stuff is more like "Armchair GM" thread material. None of it is happening in relation to this year's Trade Deadline.

But does he still think the team can get on the magnitude of roll needed to get into the playoffs, and if so is he willing to go All-In acquiring somebody like a Horvat or whoever? That's the main question I still have for the next 6 weeks.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If Poile is a buyer, im not sure what he is buying. We got lots of bottom 6 forward depth and arent in a realistic position to go for a top 6 rental. Maybe some bottom pairing dman depth?

If Poile is a seller, given current cap situations league wide who is a realistic option to trade? Lankinen and we could capitalize on C. Smiths first goal. Other that we have players with term who are harder to trade mid-season so i doubt wed see much movement from there. I think we are in for a rather boring trade deadline on our end.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If Poile is a buyer, im not sure what he is buying. We got lots of bottom 6 forward depth and arent in a realistic position to go for a top 6 rental. Maybe some bottom pairing dman depth?

If Poile is a seller, given current cap situations league wide who is a realistic option to trade? Lankinen and we could capitalize on C. Smiths first goal. Other that we have players with term who are harder to trade mid-season so i doubt wed see much movement from there. I think we are in for a rather boring trade deadline on our end.
Yep, that's why my prediction is he trades a 6th round pick for a Justin Braun type of depth D, and that's all.

Even Lankinen and Smith aren't going to be traded... we want a capable backup, and we love Smith. So there is truly nobody on the Seller list for us.

The only small caveats to this are if the organization truly is at some kind of odds with players like Trenin or Fabbro, and make something that's more of a "hockey trade", which could look a little like either Selling or Buying depending on the specifics of what we get, but probably isn't quite either. But I don't expect that either, it's more just longshot speculation.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Yep, that's why my prediction is he trades a 6th round pick for a Justin Braun type of depth D, and that's all.

Even Lankinen and Smith aren't going to be traded... we want a capable backup, and we love Smith. So there is truly nobody on the Seller list for us.

The only small caveats to this are if the organization truly is at some kind of odds with players like Trenin or Fabbro, and make something that's more of a "hockey trade", which could look a little like either Selling or Buying depending on the specifics of what we get, but probably isn't quite either. But I don't expect that either, it's more just longshot speculation.
What could you actually get for Smith? Is one of the cap crunched teams looking for a forward/defenseman tweener averaging less than 12 minutes TOI and needing some relief?

He's making minimum, so there is no way replacing him on our side is a cap "win".

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
What could you actually get for Smith? Is one of the cap crunched teams looking for a forward/defenseman tweener and needing some relief?

He's making minimum, so there is no way replacing him on our side is a cap "win".
Another thing is that there SOOO MANY tanking teams this year, basically every player type is going to be available in quantity, from teams that are very highly motivated Sellers. It will make it easier to pick up anybody, from top to bottom, reducing the likelihood of bidding wars. Reducing the value of any return. I wouldn't trade Smith for a 7th round pick. Even as a UFA, it's not like I think he'll walk away in the summer, his best odds of an NHL career are very obviously right here.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
There is also a pipeline backup coming: Signed 1st rders, L'Hereux, Kemell, Guys who are 1st rders who will sign: Svechkov. That's a full forward line. Matier and Ufko (UNLESS HE PULLS A VESEY) and Procop who will add RHD in Milwaukee. Milwaukee can have an unlimited roster, (Just the vet rule and game day roster matter.), Preds can have black aces up the wazoo the game day roster matters. Everything Polie & co are doing screaming trade deadline moves. Question is what??

I still don't have a freaking idea.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
There is also a pipeline backup coming: Signed 1st rders, L'Hereux, Kemell, Guys who are 1st rders who will sign: Svechkov. That's a full forward line. Matier and Ufko (UNLESS HE PULLS A VESEY) and Procop who will add RHD in Milwaukee. Milwaukee can have an unlimited roster, (Just the vet rule and game day roster matter.), Preds can have black aces up the wazoo the game day roster matters. Everything Polie & co are doing screaming trade deadline moves. Question is what??

Why are you so obsessed with it meaning deadline moves? Why can't it mean they are stockpiling prospects that can be the future core of the team after this rebuild?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

How is anything they are doing screaming deadline moves?

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Another thing is that there SOOO MANY tanking teams this year, basically every player type is going to be available in quantity, from teams that are very highly motivated Sellers. It will make it easier to pick up anybody, from top to bottom, reducing the likelihood of bidding wars. Reducing the value of any return. I wouldn't trade Smith for a 7th round pick. Even as a UFA, it's not like I think he'll walk away in the summer, his best odds of an NHL career are very obviously right here.
Agree 100%. It's clear Hynes loves the guy. I don't see anybody else wanting to trade assets for a "12th forward" who's really more of an AHL player. Unless he fits with a team that's in a "win now" mode and thinks he's exactly the guy to get them the Cup, I don't see it. If you're in rebuild mode, he's an older rookie who's not going to factor into a top-6 in a few years. Organizationally, it makes more sense to invest the time and resources in the guys that'll be driving the bus 3 or 4 years out and backfill those 4th liners later.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth

dawg Prokop cant even crack an ECHL line up

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, can't see us going crazy on the TDL. Acquiring a depth defenseman depends on Boro's status - if he's done for the year, I think Poile might get himself a depth D-man for a low price.

As far as selling goes.. there's still 5 weeks till the deadline. If we completely fall out of the race, I think Poile could sell a piece or two, although our selling pieces are up next year instead of this year. So, there's not much to sell unless you'll move a rather big piece in Trenin, Jeannot, Granlund etc.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think the perspective on the pipeline is slightly inflated. Reality check says maybe 10%-15% of the players in our pipeline ever develop into a meaningful forward for an NHL team. Find any old thread discussing "what the team will look like in 5 years" and it's smattered with a list of names you haven't thought of since the last discussion of the same style.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think the perspective on the pipeline is slightly inflated. Reality check says maybe 10%-15% of the players in our pipeline ever develop into a meaningful forward for an NHL team. Find any old thread discussing "what the team will look like in 5 years" and it's smattered with a list of names you haven't thought of since the last discussion of the same style.
The percentage of prospects that make it to the NHL are low for sure but there were times when the hopes and dreams of this team and fanbase were hanging on whether Jimmy Vesey would sign with the Preds or not. Or which defensemen would be good enough to use in a "hockey trade" to swap him and a forward.

Having Tomasino who, we know, can play in the NHL and Evangelista in his first season out of juniors scoring at a PPG pace in the AHL is very different than any time I can remember, except for maybe Arvidsson and Forsberg, in this franchises history. These two aren't your 26-27 year old AHL PPG players that are signed to fill out the AHL team having proven that their abilities don't translate to the NHL, these are honest to goodness NHL forward prospects that the Predators have. That's something for us to be look forward to, if not be downright excited about.

As to the other prospects still in Europe and juniors, who knows how they'll turn out but the guys in Europe, playing against men in their respective leagues and succeeding, are worth paying attention to.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad