Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think his value (not $8M worth, mind you) in helping to insulate Glass and Parssinen is irreplaceable, frankly. Lose Johansen and those two are on an island and their play/development will suffer heavily for it. He's a steady and reliable asset, even if not as productive as we ever hoped, and can be counted on to eat minutes and take tougher matchups as needed. With his contract also the soonest to be up, he's one of the last veterans I'd consider moving right now.
Agreed, I'm really looking forward to what these centers can be in the future but getting rid of Johansen now is probably a mistake. Having that flexibility of moving him up and down the lineup is vital.

How much is the team paying the four centers total? I think that's more important, the quality of play top to bottom and how much you pay total at that position. If the over-all numbers work then don't be too quick to get rid of the depth you have.

Edit: Did the math. $10.475 million. Not too bad for 4 centers.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
What does Granlund offer
Agreed, I'm really looking forward to what these centers can be in the future but getting rid of Johansen now is probably a mistake. Having that flexibility of moving him up and down the lineup is vital.

How much is the team paying the four centers total? I think that's more important, the quality of play top to bottom and how much you pay total at that position. If the over-all numbers work then don't be too quick to get rid of the depth you have.

Edit: Did the math. $10.475 million. Not too bad for 4 centers.
Now do our top wingers :(

• Haha
Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I am kind of curious to know what Granlund's value would be. $5 million for a better than half a point per game center that is a good all around player really isn't that bad, but his goal totals have been pretty lacking the last two seasons. He also seemingly didn't get great offers when he hit free agency so teams definitely don't seem to be going crazy for him. He's a good enough player but I do really feel like he's very replaceable given the ice time we give him.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
What NHL contender atm needs an all-star starting goalie?

And anyway, if some team did trade for Saros, it's certain we would be getting a bad goalie back to balance the Cap. Like Campbell from Edmonton. In which case we are fully Rebuilding. I don't see that happening. Poile isn't going to authorize spending $5M for multiple years on a terrible goalie when he already has one of the best ones in the league for the same $$$.

I don't actually see him making any trades. But at least Granlund and Johansen are mid-range contributors to the team, such that I think we do have youngsters on hand already who can replace them adequately. While saving $$$. We don't have that in goal or on D. So to me, trading Saros or Ekholm isn't even worth talking about.
Edmonton would probably love to ditch campbell but whether or not they replace him or spin the wheel with skinner im not sure. Same goes with Toronto. Murray has been fading quickly after his hot start and restart after coming back from injury but they have samsanov who has been playing well.

That said, you are right Saros is likely not going anywhere unless we get an absolute offer we cant refuse and even then... id give it only a 10% chance poile would accept.

As for trades, i see us doing something but what im not sure. Its becoming increasingly difficult to see us making the playoffs so Poile might go from a low end buy to more of a soft reset trade which i think have been some of his best (Legwand for Jarnkrok or Erat for Forsberg). Though we dont really have many good UFAs to be.... Lankinen, Nino, Granlund, McDonagh/Ekholm would be order id think theyd be traded in due to contract status but I really dont think wed trade Nino as hes been worth every penny which tells ya alot about what i actually expect to happen.... alot of nothing. Still fun to dream and discuss.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I am kind of curious to know what Granlund's value would be. $5 million for a better than half a point per game center that is a good all around player really isn't that bad, but his goal totals have been pretty lacking the last two seasons. He also seemingly didn't get great offers when he hit free agency so teams definitely don't seem to be going crazy for him. He's a good enough player but I do really feel like he's very replaceable given the ice time we give him.
His return to 60+ points last season probably helps his value. It showed that when he's on a team with a good PP anyway then getting 28 PP points lets him have more impressive total production, and most good teams have a good PP.

But I still don't know if there is any team out there which would take him at the full $5M for 2 more years. :dunno:

I like that Colorado and Carolina seem to have clearly identifiable openings, though, maybe some other teams do. Colorado seems to have really been hurt by the loss of Kadri (although they've had tons of injuries too). But for them, I can see where taking a pro-rated salary for Monahan or Toews as just rentals makes a lot more sense than taking anybody with term like Joey or Granlund. Carolina is the team with both room now, and room next year. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Edmonton would probably love to ditch campbell but whether or not they replace him or spin the wheel with skinner im not sure. Same goes with Toronto. Murray has been fading quickly after his hot start and restart after coming back from injury but they have samsanov who has been playing well.

That said, you are right Saros is likely not going anywhere unless we get an absolute offer we cant refuse and even then... id give it only a 10% chance poile would accept.

As for trades, i see us doing something but what im not sure. Its becoming increasingly difficult to see us making the playoffs so Poile might go from a low end buy to more of a soft reset trade which i think have been some of his best (Legwand for Jarnkrok or Erat for Forsberg). Though we dont really have many good UFAs to be.... Lankinen, Nino, Granlund, McDonagh/Ekholm would be order id think theyd be traded in due to contract status but I really dont think wed trade Nino as hes been worth every penny which tells ya alot about what i actually expect to happen.... alot of nothing. Still fun to dream and discuss.
I'm imagine we'll pick up some spare defenseman. Justin Braun for a 6th round pick sounds about right. He can compete with Cole Smith's streak not just in goals, but also assists. :thumbu:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Looking at the trends in his TOI and points over the course of the season he's not being relied on nearly as much anymore and darn sure not producing the points.

The start of the season through mid December while he was playing top 6 center in 26 games he had 4G 14A 0.69 P/GP, was a -11 and was getting 19:33 TOI/GP

Since mid December when both Glass and Parssinen started playing top 6 center and Granlund got moved to wing 19 games 0G 7A 0.37 P/GP -2 and 17:38 TOI/GP

Since the beginning of January 10 games 0G 3A 0.30 P/GP -2 and 17:18 TOI/GP

Last 5 game 0G 0A 0.00 P/GP -3 and 15:39 TOI/GP. Only player with 0 points in the last five games, yes, that's right, even Cole Smith has an assist.

He was okay at racking up assists playing between 9 and 95 while using his hustle to support them but now that he's back to the wing he is back to the Granlund that Poile let go to free agency twice. The Preds don't need him at top 6 center anymore and he's useless as a scoring winger, time to let him go while there might be some value.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Looking at the trends in his TOI and points over the course of the season he's not being relied on nearly as much anymore and darn sure not producing the points.

The start of the season through mid December while he was playing top 6 center in 26 games he had 4G 14A 0.69 P/GP, was a -11 and was getting 19:33 TOI/GP

Since mid December when both Glass and Parssinen started playing top 6 center and Granlund got moved to wing 19 games 0G 7A 0.37 P/GP -2 and 17:38 TOI/GP

Last 5 game 0G 0A 0.00 P/GP -3 and 15:39 TOI/GP. Only player with 0 points in the last five games, yes, that's right, even Cole Smith has an assist.

He was okay at racking up assists playing between 9 and 95 while using his hustle to support them but now that he's back to the wing he is back to the Granlund that Poile let go to free agency twice. The Preds don't need him at top 6 center anymore and he's useless as a scoring winger, time to let him go while there might be some value.
I would rather see Tomasino than Granlund as a top-6 RW.

I would rather see Parssinen or Glass as a top-6 C than Granlund.

And we don't need to pay $5M to use him as a bottom-6 forward.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Lankinen has been extremely solid and was a starter in chicago (i think). Not saying it is a good idea but could extend him and use him as a spot holder. Even then thats still really dicey given it isnt a given Askarov actually becomes a nhl starter
It's not happening. Poile and the owners are not going to willfully do a full rebuild, they have already stated as such. The only time David Poile traded his top goalie was because the former owner forced him too.

The only way he does as you suggest is if he is doing a full rebuild, which ain't happening.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
This is my memory too. He looked so awful at center we ended up using Granlund out of sheer desperation.

I guess it could be argued he hasn't been tried back at center ever since he got good again last year. But... well, it's kind of a part of the reason WHY he got good again, isn't it? He can't play center.

But in terms of moving guys with salary/term I am looking at Carolina now... sounds like Pacioretty ruptured his achilles again, so that is $7M this year back onto LTIR, and then after this season they are potentially shedding a lot of $$$ to unrestricted free agency (only $53M committed for next season, no significant RFA raises coming). So if anybody wants one of our expensive guys, then that's a contending team who can fit players both now and next year. And they have generally stockpiled a fair number of picks and prospects, so there are lots of futures in the cupboard to look at too.
Duchene got a pretty long look at C when he first came here. He centred a line of Forsberg and Granlund and they were pretty dynamic out of the gate. Their production vanished by November though. He was still the #2C when Lavi got poleaxed.

So, yeah, he sucked. There was an article somewhere about this that Duchene thinks he's a C and wants to play C, but all his best years have been at W. He's just not good enough defensively to be a C, and he's not consistently great enough offensively to make up for his defensive mistakes. At W he can be more of a pure shooter and focus on that edge work as he spins around until losing the puck.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I'm imagine we'll pick up some spare defenseman. Justin Braun for a 6th round pick sounds about right. He can compete with Cole Smith's streak not just in goals, but also assists. :thumbu:
Right, but he's an actual defensive defenseman. Not the love child of the coach defenseman playing wing. :sarcasm:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

Granlund is an anti-Duchene. He's more defensively responsible and a playmaker than a pure shooter. On the other hand, he's not a big guy and can get manhandled. In Minnesota, they put him at wing on a line with a shooting centre. That worked really well and created some matchup headaches. It's not surprising that he's not excelling in the "everyone is just a Lego brick" scheme frankly.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You guys are a bad influence on me. I spend WAY too much time on capfriendly

1674261245940.png

THIS is what you do to me. THIS!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: bdub24

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Granlund is an anti-Duchene. He's more defensively responsible and a playmaker than a pure shooter. On the other hand, he's not a big guy and can get manhandled. In Minnesota, they put him at wing on a line with a shooting centre. That worked really well and created some matchup headaches. It's not surprising that he's not excelling in the "everyone is just a Lego brick" scheme frankly.
Meh, this is mostly just a Hynes sucks response. Kinda the excuse for everything around here. Though, "They're play chess and we're playing LEGOs" could catch on as a new saying.

When was the last time he played in Minnesota? At 31 he probably doesn't have as much juice as he did 4-5 years ago.

When was he good under Laviolette? October of 2019, I guess.

He's only been valuable to the team and worth re-signing as a center under Hynes. Now that he's not needed at center because there are better young centers, better PKers, and better PP options he's losing his TOI.

If a young scoring winger can be brought up he becomes expendable as a $5M bottom 6 player that can't out score Cole Smith.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Meh, this is mostly just a Hynes sucks response. Kinda the excuse for everything around here. Though, "They're play chess and we're playing LEGOs" could catch on as a new saying.

When was the last time he played in Minnesota? At 31 he probably doesn't have as much juice as he did 4-5 years ago.

When was he good under Laviolette? October of 2019, I guess.

He's only been valuable to the team and worth re-signing as a center under Hynes. Now that he's not needed at center because there are better young centers, better PKers, and better PP options he's losing his TOI.

If a young scoring winger can be brought up he becomes expendable as a $5M bottom 6 player that can't out score Cole Smith.
I don't agree. I am stating what Granlund does well and what he doesn't do well. His skill set is that of a center. When he played there under Hynes, got huge minutes, and played with guys who were scoring, he was a good value, effective, and put up solid numbers.

Players simply are not perfectly interchangeable. Every person in every job has strengths and weaknesses.

That's not "Hynes sucks". That's reality.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't agree. I am stating what Granlund does well and what he doesn't do well. His skill set is that of a center. When he played there under Hynes, got huge minutes, and played with guys who were scoring, he was a good value, effective, and put up solid numbers.

Players simply are not perfectly interchangeable. Every person in every job has strengths and weaknesses.

I don’t think Granlund was ever truly good at center. Just Hynes played him a lot anyway because he had a consistent motor and we had nobody else. Granny tried, full credit to him. But when finally got points last year, half of them were on the PP. And he’s pretty good moving up and down the right wall on the PP… he can make passes from behind the net or up to the top of the circle and his hustle works nicely when defenders don’t want to disrupt their box to chase him down and outmuscle him.

Anyway, he’s alright as a player, at either position really. Just we seem to finally have some new kids whose floor might already look “alright”… and whose ceiling we can dream might be a bit higher.

Reactions: Kat Predator

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

When he came to Nashville he was a winger that was converted from center and was supposedly better at wing. He only produced here once moved to center but is now being out played by younger cheaper prospects.

Thats reality, he isn't being logo'ed into anything. Either succeed at wing, just like Duchene has to, or become expendable. That's life in the NHL.
I don’t think Granlund was ever truly good at center. Just Hynes played him a lot anyway because he had a consistent motor and we had nobody else. Granny tried, full credit to him. But when finally got points last year, half of them were on the PP. And he’s pretty good moving up and down the right wall on the PP… he can make passes from behind the net or up to the top of the circle and his hustle works nicely when defenders don’t want to disrupt their box to chase him down and outmuscle him.

Anyway, he’s alright as a player, at either position really. Just we seem to finally have some new kids whose floor might already look “alright”… and whose ceiling we can dream might be a bit higher.
He's a hardworking heart and soul type player for sure.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

I agree with that. He's really a "tweener". Physically more of a winger, but more acclimated to a traditional center. One could argue that puts him in no man's land, of course. Or one could be creative with it—to give Hynes credit, he was creative when he swapped Granlund and Duchene and that worked well for a while.

At the end of the day, I think he's a good player but—assuming we're reloading or rebuilding—we definitely should get the younger center prospects the time. I think this season is going nowhere regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad