Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Isnt near enough free salary cap out there to purge those big salaries without a good chunk coming back.

If you wanted, could possibly trade fabbro, trenin, lankinen, and/or sissons without cap coming back but the rest are going to require something big coming back
It's still treading water. If you trade Trenin, you're not getting a basket full of 1st round picks back. It can also be pinching pennies to throw dollars in the fire in terms of cap. Getting rid of 4 guys who are making small increments over the minimum won't allow you go out and throw a huge contract at the next Kyle Turris, since you'd still have 3 empty spots and no cap space.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
If the goal is to open a spot next season for Tomasino, Evangalista, Glass and/or Novak permanently in the top six then trading Granlund is the closest to ideal option ... nobody is taking on Johansen or Duchene with the duration of their contracts.

Reactions: SouthNash

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
If the goal is to open a spot next season for Tomasino, Evangalista, Glass and/or Novak permanently in the top six then trading Granlund is the closest to ideal option ... nobody is taking on Johansen or Duchene with the duration of their contracts.
Duchene has the better chance of bouncing back anyways over johansen. I’m a big johansen fan but his contract is just awful.

I’m all for moving granlund or joey. Move up Novak or glass in the line up. Call up one of the scoring wingers in MIL and call it a day. Save as many picks as possible for the draft in nashville.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Duchene has the better chance of bouncing back anyways over johansen. I’m a big johansen fan but his contract is just awful.

I’m all for moving granlund or joey. Move up Novak or glass in the line up. Call up one of the scoring wingers in MIL and call it a day. Save as many picks as possible for the draft in nashville.

Joey is still a beast at the dot and on pace for 20ish goals but that won't get many, if any, teams to jump at taking the contract for another two seasons ... or Duchene for three. Granlund is getting assists on special teams and against an empty net but is putting up Smith-like numbers at 5on5.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Joey is still a beast at the dot and on pace for 20ish goals but that won't get many, if any, teams to jump at taking the contract for another two seasons ... or Duchene for three. Granlund is getting assists on special teams and against an empty net but is putting up Smith-like numbers at 5on5.
Joey is still definitely useful and producing. He just isn’t fast, never was, and that is huge in todays game obviously. Like I said I am a big Joey fan. He is a great puck mover and creator of offense.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Speed of foot is great. Speed of read and react ... speed of decision making are also important. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
Yeah I won’t argue you with that. I like joey. But his contract is massive. Problems of being a cap team tho.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Everyone is a cap team right now. Well, teams that aren't tanking that is. It's just the way the league is with no increases in 3 or 4 years. The talk around here of the Preds being a "cap" team is a bit over blown, as is everything I guess.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Everyone is a cap team right now. Well, teams that aren't tanking that is. It's just the way the league is with no increases in 3 or 4 years. The talk around here of the Preds being a "cap" team is a bit over blown, as is everything I guess.
Yeah but the preds legit couldn’t afford to be a cap team for YEARS. This core is the first time we’ve every really spent money like that long term.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
With Johansen we are just going to have to watch how the UFA market and Cap seem to be shaping up when the buyout window opens up in June. There isn't going to be a trade market. But if many teams are in Cap trouble, and the math says you can do more to make your team better with $5.3M in this UFA market than you can with Johansen at $8M, then you buy him out. But if you can't, or you're not sure if you will be able to, then you keep him.

At least the emergence of Parssinen, Glass, and Novak makes it an option. We never even had the option before.

Reactions: triggrman

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
With Johansen we are just going to have to watch how the UFA market and Cap seem to be shaping up when the buyout window opens up in June. There isn't going to be a trade market. But if many teams are in Cap trouble, and the math says you can do more to make your team better with $5.3M in this UFA market than you can with Johansen at $8M, then you buy him out. But if you can't, or you're not sure if you will be able to, then you keep him.

At least the emergence of Parssinen, Glass, and Novak makes it an option. We never even had the option before.
Yeah, the talk of trading Johansen has always been a fallacy since there was no one to replace him. It would seem he is now a luxury to have on the roster, if it weren't for the cap hit.

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't even mind Granlund that much either... just I get tired of how over-used he is. He shouldn't be our top icetime forward used in all situations every night. If he was used as a scrappy industrious middle-six winger who occassionally sets up some nice plays with 14-16 minutes of ice per game, I probably wouldn't get as frustrated with him as I do.
:dunno:

Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't even mind Granlund that much either... just I get tired of how over-used he is. He shouldn't be our top icetime forward used in all situations every night. If he was used as a scrappy industrious middle-six winger who occassionally sets up some nice plays with 14-16 minutes of ice per game, I probably wouldn't get as frustrated with him as I do.
:dunno:
Agreed here. It's the game to game coaching decisions that drive me nuts with some players. Bothered me last season with Kunin and this year with Granlund. He constantly gets 17 plus mins a night. Doesnt matter where in the lineup he is or how he is performing that night. Sometimes granny is on it and i can see why hynes would try to get everything he can out of him. Other nights he is invisible but still gets the same icetime.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Agreed here. It's the game to game coaching decisions that drive me nuts with some players. Bothered me last season with Kunin and this year with Granlund. He constantly gets 17 plus mins a night. Doesnt matter where in the lineup he is or how he is performing that night. Sometimes granny is on it and i can see why hynes would try to get everything he can out of him. Other nights he is invisible but still gets the same icetime.
He has played 12 games at more than 20 minutes. And if my quick math is right, he is -12 in those 12 games.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The only move I make is Tomasino to the big club and Hynes shown the door. Give the keys to Taylor and run with it. I’d even be tempted to move Johansen to the wing. Let the three youngsters man the top 3 slots with Sissons manning line 4.

I liked Glass with Duchene and Forsberg. I’d go Parssinen with Granlund and Nino. I’d then do Novak with Tomasino and Joey. HERD as your fourth line.

Run with that.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Granlund is on his way out but won’t attract much in return. Niederreiter is not really a top 6 guy though he gets his 20 usually; so he’s always available but won’t return a lot. Trenin and Jeannot are redundant so the Preds don’t really need both. I go with Jeannot due to promise but Trenin has been around long enough now that he has established he’s average at best; decent return. Preds can’t permanently roll with both Carrier and Fabbro so one should go. This is a you pick ‘em situation. Frankly, Lanky is too good to back up anybody; should be a starter and should get a good return. Preds are stuck with the big bucks guys; not tradable. Sissons is the prototype for a bottom line valuable player; keep him, potential return isn’t worth it.

The goal should be to gain space for Tomasino, Evangalista, Askarov and maybe one more forward from Milwaukee and a yound D but that type roster IS a rebuild of sorts and it’ll be a tough compete year next year. But after that, look out. If that revised bunch can’t cut it then Preds are in deep trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad