Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If they buy out Johansson, I highly doubt he remains in the nhl next season.......
I think hed be worth a shot on a smaller contract. Hes still on a 40 or so point pace. Unfortunately, hes making 3-4 million more than he should be. I think id have alot more positive view of Johansen if he was making granlund money.

I wonder if vancouver would be interested in a 4.5 million dollar Joey after they lose Horvat. We still get most of the capspace we wouldve from a buyout but dont have to deal with the penalty for that long.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If they buy out Johansson, I highly doubt he remains in the nhl next season.......
:huh: Why wouldn't he? He's a decent player, very much a solid NHLer. I mean, the Preds wouldn't actually buy him out, Poile doesn't roll like that, but Johansen is worth good money in the NHL. Just not $8M. The only reason buying him out is even suggested from an Armchair GM perspective is that we do math a little differently than Poile does. We see $5.3M in Cap space could be created in buying him out, and imagine players as good as him might be feeling the squeeze in a tight Cap environment such that we could spend that $5.3M on more/better assets in this special once-in-a-generation market.

In a normal Cap environment, I would say Johansen is still worth $4-5M. But if the squeeze is on, and we bought him out, some team would sign him at a sweet sweet bonus of $2-3M, and be lucky they did. There is no chance he'd be out of the NHL.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Johansen buyout

1673987075798.png

Duchene buyout

1673987187115.png

Yikes and aw, hell no!

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
The Johansen buyout is the only one we should be considering seriously. But only because it blends in a combination of unusual circumstances: 1) that the $5.3M we save on him next season may actually go A LOT further than usual in a looming Cap crunch that freezes the market this summer, and 2) that the Cap is expected to shoot to the moon after next season due to finishing off the Covid recovery stuff so that the remaining years of $2.67M are just a drop in the bucket of the enormous Cap increases.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Isn't Duchene the one getting the huge minutes this year? I'll have to look again.

(Not that that makes any sense either.)
Duchene has gotten some big minutes these past 5 games (~20 min a night) but he's got 3 assists in that time. Going further back looks like he's usually in the 15-16 minute area.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Hear me out. Instead of waiving and buying out players, trading away once productive and star powered forwards....

Let's get an actual good NHL coach.
I don't think this is going to change Johansen, though. I mean, he's been pretty much the same for many years and both coaches, Bit of a peak with our PP rolling last year, but as he turns 31 this summer, I'm not expecting him to magically become an $8M player, regardless of the coach. If anything, a new coach might just ask to have him traded or bought out so that we can play Parssinen and Glass more instead.
:dunno:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Enoch has got the right idea.

Though I will say, leaving Duchene and Joey exposed seemed to work last year. Maybe putting one of them on waivers to send a message isn't a bad idea.

Odds of them getting claimed are really low with so many teams against the cap. Realistically 7 teams could claim them, one of them would need to dump $2.5M in exchange and Minnesota isn't going to pick one of them up after the Boldy extension.

That only leaves teams that are trying to get Bedard. And if they claim him, I mean, is that really the worst possible outcome?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Hear me out. Instead of waiving and buying out players, trading away once productive and star powered forwards....

Let's get an actual good NHL coach.
While i am a fan of this idea, i am skeptical how much it will help johansen. Since 19-20 season, he's had 3 seasons (including current season) at a near 41 point per 82 game pace and 1 65 point pace which was helped along by career years by duchene, forsberg, and josi. So 40ish point pace seems to be the norm now

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Predict what Nashville will do for trades here on out.

Here's mine:

Fabbro and the leftovers of the HERD line (Jeannot and Trenin) to Ottawa for DeBrincat

You will say Ottawa? They suck, they are tanking too. They have a similar problem as Nashville. RFA's who will cost too much. Fabbro and Jeannot's expected numbers along with Trenin should equal DeBrincat's expected #. Ottawa needs young D and grit. Nashville needs goalscoring and room for forwards.

Will I be wrong? Most likely, but atg least I have the gaul to do it.
The Preds DO NOT need another BIG contract and especially DeBrincat! Not sure he is what the Preds need to complement the current roster. He is not a #1C and not sure he plays D all that well either. Is small at 5'7" and at $9M is a HUGE overpayment in my eyes.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Keep Joey. He's still our best center. No more buyouts. Joey and his $8M aren't the problem. Keep playing Glass, Jusso, and Tommy-Boy. We'll make the playoffs while developing 3 good players. Concentrate on developing one of them to replace Joey as Our Best Center.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
NHL GMs: We have no cap space!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Poile: We have 1.8 Million and .9 million dollar contract to trade for LTIR... Who trading?

Me: Nickels and dimes add up.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres fan here. I was here a few weeks ago and offered this deal for Fabbro:

Olofsson (50%) and Fitzgerald for Fabbro and Jankowski. It worked money-wise, and a few of you mentioned it was in the ball park for value but maybe not what the Preds are looking for.

Fitzgerald was waived and claimed by Florida, and the Sabres just waived Hinostroza, so they don't really need to trade Olofsson anymore to make room for younger forwards.

The Sabres have 3 x 2nd round picks in 2022. What would the Preds be looking for in terms of futures for Fabbro?

Thanks in advance!

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Sabres fan here. I was here a few weeks ago and offered this deal for Fabbro:

Olofsson (50%) and Fitzgerald for Fabbro and Jankowski. It worked money-wise, and a few of you mentioned it was in the ball park for value but maybe not what the Preds are looking for.

Fitzgerald was waived and claimed by Florida, and the Sabres just waived Hinostroza, so they don't really need to trade Olofsson anymore to make room for younger forwards.

The Sabres have 3 x 2nd round picks in 2022. What would the Preds be looking for in terms of futures for Fabbro?

Thanks in advance!
Hopefully something massive that no one would pay.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Keep Joey. He's still our best center. No more buyouts. Joey and his $8M aren't the problem. Keep playing Glass, Jusso, and Tommy-Boy. We'll make the playoffs while developing 3 good players. Concentrate on developing one of them to replace Joey as Our Best Center.

Agreed, a buyout will just cause more problems, we're still paying for Kyle Turris when we could have some breathing room or used that 2M to keep Tolvanen up at least.

We need to be patient and run out the contract instead of tying our hands with a buy-out, we're not a contender yet and by the time we are we can bring it up again, but as of now we'd be paying him 4Mill for eight more seasons, correct? That's a huge some with every team seemingly at the cap.

Reactions: hockey diva

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Do you think Duchene or Joey would be claimed off waivers?

Duchene yes. Joey, maybe. With that said, the limiting factor is obviously the salary. There are only so many teams that can take on that salary. Most of the teams that would, need to clear cap space.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
For this hypothetical waiving of RyJo:

The Wild have the cap space, have some suspects down the middle (Freddy G. is their #2C), and love nabbing Preds off the waiver wire. They don't seem to be tanking for Bedard either. Picking up RyJo for nothing but some cap space for a run through the playoffs would be a nice move for the Wild. I'd think they'd be very interested.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
For this hypothetical waiving of RyJo:

The Wild have the cap space, have some suspects down the middle (Freddy G. is their #2C), and love nabbing Preds off the waiver wire. They don't seem to be tanking for Bedard either. Picking up RyJo for nothing but some cap space for a run through the playoffs would be a nice move for the Wild. I'd think they'd be very interested.
They only have like $9M in projected space for next year with only 13 skaters and 1 goalie under contract. Don't see how they can make it work (nor how they'll re-sign Dumba unless he takes a pay cut).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad