Trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Has anyone heard from Barrie? Haven’t seen any quotes from him. If we don’t hear from him today, I would assume it’s possible he has been told he could be moved again.

Reactions: cool beans

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Driving home I heard Stillman casually mention that Jeannot was rumored to be asking for north of 5m AAV on his next deal. Has there been any real reporting on this?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Driving home I heard Stillman casually mention that Jeannot was rumored to be asking for north of 5m AAV on his next deal. Has there been any real reporting on this?
This doesn't sound credible to me. Watch what TB signs him for. It won't be anything remotely close to that.

Now, had he scored 20+ goals again this year, at least it could have been in the realm of possibility as an initial ask. But he didn't. So.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

If Chcyrun got that...

The conditional on the 1st is the frightening/risky bit. It's limited to top-5 protection, and if that protection kicks in it becomes an unprotected 2024 1st. That's probably what ultimately really drove it.

It can also become a two-1sts return if the Sens make the playoffs and get to the ECF - in that case, the Coyotes not only get the now late 2023 1st, the 2nd becomes a top-10 protected 2024 1st. (If that protection kicks in, it becomes a 2025 unprotected 1st). Talk and text are unlimited.

Reactions: BigFatCat999

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ottawa ought to be good enough to keep that 2023 out of the top 10 and not good enough to make ecf. So a mid to late 2023 1st, 2024 2nd, and a 2026 2nd.... i mean we got an unprotected 2023 1st, prospect from 2022 1st round, and 2024 4th for ekholm. I feel like we did better with the older more expensive dman

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't know man. As I said we have some real quality pieces on this roster as is.

Supplementing the roster with another quality veteran or two (and a new coach obviously) could really catapult this thing quickly while injecting our prospect pool with some high-end talent.
We can add some quality pieces through the UFA market and try to remain competitive while we harvest these picks and build the post Josi/Forsberg future which needs to start happening over then next couple of years so when they are kaput in 4 or 5 years we are good to go. I will be pissed beyond reason if we trade these 1st round picks for anything other than a sure fire early 20s superstar.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I read somewhere he was looking for something more like Sissons, ie lower dollar but longer term

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Oh there is some luck involved, just not in every single case. First couple of rounds guys have been seen pretty regularly, I think where scouting really comes into play as being less about luck and more about skill is in the last couple of rounds. Finding guys like Rinne cause you happened to be watching someone else and he caught your eye, or a Hornquist because you liked something about his game.

I'd also add that I think a couple of reasons you haven't seen that forward is because Poile had always been a Goal out GM. That's where they put their resources because that's the kind of team they wanted to build. The other is I think because of that you didn't have guys that were that good at developing forward talent either. Finally he never has drafted very high to start with, which is where a ton of your elite talent will come from. The two years he did he got Legwand and Jones, both of which were pretty much the best left by the time we got to draft.

As good as a team like Tampa has been they have also had their failures. They basically had to get rid of Drouin and just were lucky enough to catch a sucker in Montreal and he was drafted before Jones that year.

If they knew those guys were such gems, they would have picked them much higher. They didn’t know. They took a flyer and lucked out. Or look at it another way: if you’re just THAT good at scouting, why don’t you ALWAYS pick guys who are that good? They’re always out there. How come you can see them once in a while but most of the time you can’t? Simple: Because it’s mostly luck!
Both of these are good responses. I think the other part is other teams have more scouts. Detroit had a stacked roster and found Zetterberg and Datsyuk in the second and third rounds if I remember correctly.

While Tampa had its failure in Drouin and some luck with Stamkos and Hedman at 1 and 2 overall, they landed an elite goalie in the middle of round 1, Kuch in round 2 and Point in round 4.

I often hear we don't pick high enough. Remember, Duchene was a third overall and Johansen was fourth overall.

I don't know how old either of you are but go back to the '91 draft and see the players Poile left on the board in the late 1st/early 2nd round. The three guys that were picked never made it to the dance and if they did, not for very long. Others around them ended up being some pretty strong players.

While I agree that DP built a team from the goal out and that was smart as an expansion team, he needed to pivot and realize teams were winning with strong forward play. It appears Trotz realizes this and I hope he's taken the lessons behind the bench and being around GM's like DP and Lou and sees what it truly takes to make it happen.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
We can add some quality pieces through the UFA market and try to remain competitive while we harvest these picks and build the post Josi/Forsberg future which needs to start happening over then next couple of years so when they are kaput in 4 or 5 years we are good to go. I will be pissed beyond reason if we trade these 1st round picks for anything other than a sure fire early 20s superstar.
Say Toronto flops in the playoffs, Matthews has one more year remaining on his contract, do you make an offer to Toronto they can't refuse? It goes without saying that a deal has to be in place with Matthews. What would you offer Toronto? Is anyone off the table from our end?

Say it's not Matthews you go after, who would you target?

What if we just got lucky and landed one of the top two picks or for that matter, the top pick? Talk about conspiracy theories, draft is in Nashville, lottery balls drop in our favor, the Canadian markets would have a field day with the NHL and Bettman.

I will say this, the 5 days or so I've become emotionally invested in this team again. Watching the game last night was fun, even though the outcome wasn't what we hoped for, or maybe it was.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Say Toronto flops in the playoffs, Matthews has one more year remaining on his contract, do you make an offer to Toronto they can't refuse? It goes without saying that a deal has to be in place with Matthews. What would you offer Toronto? Is anyone off the table from our end?

Say it's not Matthews you go after, who would you target?

What if we just got lucky and landed one of the top two picks or for that matter, the top pick? Talk about conspiracy theories, draft is in Nashville, lottery balls drop in our favor, the Canadian markets would have a field day with the NHL and Bettman.

I will say this, the 5 days or so I've become emotionally invested in this team again. Watching the game last night was fun, even though the outcome wasn't what we hoped for, or maybe it was.
Totally agree with all of this. I have became invested again in predators hockey.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I think Granlund and one of Fabbro/Carrier on the list of being shopped. What might one get for a Granlund/Fabbro package deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad