GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Why am I disappointed? Let’s review…

Last off-season was a wash, at best. Lost a couple of 20 goal scorers and replaced them with a 35 goal scorer. Lost 1a defenseman and replaced him with better 1a. Season has been a minus, losing patches. Nachos a plus, TiVo a minus. Net/net is that this team is about 35-40 goals worse than last year. Goaltending shaky same as last year. Going into the trade deadline, the need for goals was well known to all, and I expected some kind of progress in that direction, it didn’t happen.

So, we are going into the playoffs this year actually a worse team than last year. of the teams we will go against, Boston (if we get that far) is much more complete a team than Florida was last year. DeVilles look really good, but are unproven, Rags beat us last year and are significantly better (on paper) than last year.

our best chance is if the DeVilles aren’t ready for prime time and the Rags just can’t meld their talent into a team. Neither of those things are likely.

I love this team, but I’d be surprised if they win a playoff series this year.
Goaltending has been fine. 2nd in the league in Goals Allowed behind only the once-in-a century Bruins team, and only 12 total goals off our pace from last year ( when we led everyone. Goals scored? Virtually the exact same pace (278) as last year (278). Relatively speaking we may be worse compared to the competition's improvements and moves, but on our own we are the same team. It'll be up to Rod and the guys to play like they appreciate being kept largely intact this TDL, our goalies to stay healthy and hot-ish, and the other teams's changes either not panning out or disrupting their playoff chemistry. Canes can do it.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
So Meier was their only plan, but they refused to put the big pieces on the table (i.e. Nikishin) in order to get him?

That tells me they weren't all that serious.
That's a very fair criticism. Not just their lack of willingness to trade Nikishin, if they aren't even willing to trade 2 1st round picks for the right player we need and have needed for a long time, and they didn't have a backup plan by the time Meier was traded, why shouldn't our front office be criticized for not being truly serious or "aggressive" in getting Meier?

If we actually had a good backup plan to Meier when he was traded, it'd be a different story about us being too/more conservative with our offer for Meier.

However, there truly seems to have been nobody left when he was traded; forward wise at least. Obviously Carolina didn't want to wait around to try and get Chychrun who would've been an excellent add (Ottawa might have dropped out and we got him for the discount), and would then allow us to trade one of Skjei or Pesce in the offseason as a package for a top 6 forward while also improving our blue line long term with a young player on a cap friendly contract with term.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
If the Borg learned anything from the past 2 years maybe it should be that putting your eggs in the basket of a frequently injured player has a high likelihood of failing miserably. Andersen last year and Pacioretty this year.

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Goaltending has been fine. 2nd in the league in Goals Allowed behind only the once-in-a century Bruins team, and only 12 total goals off our pace from last year ( when we led everyone. Goals scored? Virtually the exact same pace (278) as last year (278). Relatively speaking we may be worse compared to the competition's improvements and moves, but ion our own we are the same team. It'll be up to Rod and the guys to play like they appreciate being kept largely intact this TDL, our goalies to stay healthy and hot-ish, and the other teams's changes either not panning out or disrupting their playoff chemistry. Canes can do it.
Hope you’re right, so far it looks like all thee changes the Rags made have made them perform worse, but they have 20 games to gel as a team, it scares me that they might. As for our playoff chemistry, it wasn’t that great last year, at least not on the road. Thanks for the stats, was too lazy to look it up myself!

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
If the Borg learned anything from the past 2 years maybe it should be that putting your eggs in the basket of a frequently injured player has a high likelihood of failing miserably. Andersen last year and Pacioretty this year.
Erik Karlsson trade incoming this offseason.

Reactions: ndp
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well, a little disappointing. Still excited to see what we do in the playoffs. IMO, this puts a ton of pressure on the rest of the regular season. NJ and NYR got a lot better. I'd rather only have to play one of them and not both to get to the ECF.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I wonder if adding Ghost can help TT get his power play touch back. 9 of TT’s 22 goals and 22 of his 43 assists were on the power play last season.

I guess part of that would require the Hurricanes actually get some PP time.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Weren't you implying inside info to say the Canes thought their offer was better than New Jersey's and Grier just wanted to help a buddy?
I don't get the feeling we had any backup plan in the event that we didn't get Meier. I think we had all our eggs in that basket, which is why Waddell was pissed when we were rejected

Reactions: cptjeff

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I don't get the feeling we had any backup plan in the event that we didn't get Meier. I think we had all our eggs in that basket, which is why Waddell was pissed when we were rejected
Which would seem to be supported by our reported interest in Schmaltz just a couple of days or so before our final offer was rejected. I'm sure Carolina talked to Friedman about us being interested in Schmaltz to make it seem to San Jose like we could afford to walk away from Meier because there were other players that we were interested in. So, San Jose better not get too greedy with us because we had options, etc.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
He was also the only available player remotely worth putting all those eggs in play for, apart from Kane or Tarasenko, and those didn't happen because Tank went early and Kane picked his landing spot.

C'est la vie.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

His point is that if your inside info is true, then "hoping what happened the past few years won't happen again" wasn't our playoff strategy. We just didn't execute our playoff strategy of acquiring Meier.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
His point is that if your inside info is true, then "hoping what happened the past few years won't happen again" wasn't our playoff strategy. We just didn't execute our playoff strategy of acquiring Meier.
Or they could be whiffing on trades and failing to execute their Playoff strategy every year.

• Haha
Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
And while it wasn't our total strategy to hope things go better, it really could fall into place where it didn't in other years. We have guys with room to grow in the postseason and it will be very important that they do. And while injuries are a part of the game, I hope that the current iteration of the team can at least start the playoffs a bit more healthy than the last couple. Having hobbled Slavin and no Freddie didn't do us any favors. At least we know where we stand without Patches. Just please no major injuries prior to the playoffs.

Reactions: cptjeff

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Also, being consistently extremely good and hoping things fall your way one year out of a dozen is by far the most reliable way to win a championship out there. Don't rock the boat and hope things go better is a 100% valid strategy and it's how most championship teams break through and win. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that Tampa got swept out of the 1st round. When the Caps won the cup it was the only time they've ever gotten past the 2nd round in the entire Ovechkin era.

Yeah, that kind of extended playoff run didn't work for the Sharks. But if you stay at that level for that long, you generally win a cup or two. Detroit. Pittsburgh. Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad