GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I get the feeling we allowed ourselves to get tunnel visioned and didn't consider we weren't getting him. I doubt I'll learn much else, but I'll see what I can figure out.

I also think our front office needs to understand that if we want to land a legitimate top tier piece that will push us like we say we need, we have to be willing to part with someone on the roster to do it. Our biggest deals in recent years, have been when we've gone and traded someone off the roster to bring in an upgrade. We can't be paralyzed to move because we value the potential of our own assets when trying to acquire elite talent.
I think it's more than potential of the assets. I think they see the big decision point coming in 2024 and realize they need Jarvis and Morrow and Kotkaniemi to help give them some discounted play to allow them to pay up for Aho, and Necas, and at least one of Skjei/Pesce, and then likely Slavin the following year.

Part of the problem is the farm system. The next forward to fill in if someone off the roster is moved is Drury, who isn't the scoring threat they need to replace Jarvis or Necas. There are a lot of kids in Chicago, but no one on a PPG pace? No one even on a 30 goal pace?

Because they don't see forward development down in Chicago this year, they will be more hesitant to part with a player like Jarvis.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I don't agree with the strong refusal to trade our 1st round, but I assume the players that 1st round was being asked for weren't worth it.
We are known to make good use of our draft picks. I don't fret losing a TDL when we constantly win the Draft day.

Reactions: geehaad

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
While I do like the fact that we are good in the standings now, there's a chance we aren't even leading our own division by the time the clock strikes midnight tonight.

(not a great chance, the Yotes are beyond shit, but we did lose to Anaheim, so anything is possible)

It sure would have been nice to give us some offensive help to give us more punch to help swing a few more of these upcoming regular season games in our favor. I really don't like the prospects of trying to go through NYR and then NJ just to get to the ECF this year.
I look at a team like Tampa though. They figured out after their big regular season that it's not that important to win the division at all costs and just got themselves ready for the playoffs. They've tended to go for the depth pieces at the deadline. Now, we're not Tampa until we are (if ever). We need some of our guys to step up big time in the playoffs because Tampa's talent always shows up (and, yes, they have a few elite level guys). Each round all the way through. But if we do fall out of the division lead (I still like our chances there even) we can still have a big showing in the playoffs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The negativity is out of my system. How about some reasons for optimism:

- If Puljujarvi can find his offensive game, he fills a long-standing need on the team.
- They've run up against 3 of the best playoff PPs ever in recent years and it's killed them. What are the odds that happens yet again?
- In concert with the point above, the 5v5 team defense has been stout in those series losses since 2021. This is an elite defensive club and that should be the talking point about the team. The built for the regular season narrative is strange.
- Teams have won cups with bad PPs. Some well timed conversions can be enough.
- Svechnikov turns just 23 shortly. I look at Matthew Tkachuk's breakout at a similar age just last season. There's room for growth.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We are known to make good use of our draft picks. I don't fret losing a TDL when we constantly win the Draft day.
The problem with our drafting is that its getting us a lot of depth, but we're also not (at least not yet) seeing any top tier talent bubble up. I mean its great that we have a perceived glut of guys who can contribute at a high end AHL level or a bottom 6 role in the NHL, but when our biggest need has long been some serious top 6 scorers, we seem to be missing the mark often there.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022

The team they built in the offseason is much better than the team right now. Instead of just being down a 2C the team is now down a 2C and their top-line scorer in Pacioretty.

Hard to imagine they think they have a legitimate shot at winning this year. The Rangers team that beat Carolina last year added a dump truck of talent. That is a team that believes they can win.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

- If Puljujarvi can find his offensive game, he fills a long-standing need on the team.
- They've run up against 3 of the best playoff PPs ever in recent years and it's killed them. What are the odds that happens yet again?
- In concert with the point above, the 5v5 team defense has been stout in those series losses since 2021. This is an elite defensive club and that should be the talking point about the team. The built for the regular season narrative is strange.
- Svechnikov turns just 23 shortly. I look at Matthew Tkachuk's breakout at a similar age just last season. There's room for growth.
As I pointed out a while back, Meier isn't a bad comp for Svech and his progression either.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I look at a team like Tampa though. They figured out after their big regular season that it's not that important to win the division at all costs and just got themselves ready for the playoffs. They've tended to go for the depth pieces at the deadline. Now, we're not Tampa until we are (if ever). We need some of our guys to step up big time in the playoffs because Tampa's talent always shows up (and, yes, they have a few elite level guys). Each round all the way through. But if we do fall out of the division lead (I still like our chances there even) we can still have a big showing in the playoffs.
Its easy to go for depth pieces when you already have guys like Kucherov, Vasilevsky, and Hedman, who are all arguably better than our best options at F, D, and G.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The team they built in the offseason is much better than the team right now. Instead of just being down a 2C the team is now down a 2C and their top-line scorer in Pacioretty.

Hard to imagine they think they have a legitimate shot at winning this year. The Rangers team that beat Carolina last year added a dump truck of talent. That is a team that believes they can win.
Well, the team they built in the offseason had like 30 point Necas too. Thankfully, he has taken a huge leap.

Its easy to go for depth pieces when you already have guys like Kucherov, Vasilevsky, and Hedman, who are all arguably better than our best options at F, D, and G.
Yes, I did mention the elite talent.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I don't know much about Poolparty's game, but I heard he can hit heavy and is willing to throw his weight around. And that he's an absolute grinder along the boards. That alone will help.

Gost is legitimately good in the offensive zone, and should help transform the PP. He distributes the puck very well, and has a decent shot.

I just don't like that both have some very serious warts to their game that are going to be difficult to overlook going forward. Our success is going to come in how well we can utilize their strengths while completely mitigating their weaknesses.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Well, the team they built in the offseason had like 30 point Necas too. Thankfully, he has taken a huge leap.

Well they also had a Teravainen that wasn't dogshit.

The point isn't about player progression it is about the $7 million in Cap space allocated to a top-line scorer that is now a big hole in the roster.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

But that's the big difference between us and them. They have the top tier talent we're still looking for. So you can't really say our strategies are ok in being similar because all Tampa really does need is depth where we need some serious adds to bring the 'oomph' as Dom L likes to say on The Athletic.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I'm going to say this right now.

If this team is going to hit the next level Svechnikov needs to find that next gear. he CANNOT disappear in the playoffs.

For his development he basically has this playoff and next season to turn into a ppg+ 40g scorer or what we have now is what he is. If he doesn't show us more I'll be honest....I'd be disappointed.
Narrator voice a few months from now: he in fact did not find that next gear.

Our star players have too often been MIA in the playoffs, and so the lack of top 6 help really lowers my optimism based on our playoff history.

I think it's fair to say that if Carolina doesn't address it's lack of goal scoring in the offseason, then this deadline truly will be a failure. After the market dried up after Meier, we can still hope that this summer will be the solution (particularly trading picks at the draft along with prospects), but to hold onto all of these assets at the deadline, AND during the offseason, only to not address the weakness that Rod himself has publicly identified (goal scoring)? It'd be an abject failure that not even the strongest defenders and optimists can seriously defend with a straight face.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Well they also had a Teravainen that wasn't dogshit.

The point isn't about player progression it is about the $7 million in Cap space allocated to a top-line scorer that is now a big hole in the roster.
Yeah, I would have preferred another scorer added as well. I guess they just couldn't find a guy after they lost out on Meier that they thought would make sense. Maybe they figure the team is very good as is and it really will come down to more of their guys scoring at regular rates to win.

The good news is, the slate is wiped clean at the start of the playoffs. You can have a dogshit regular season and find redemption.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Until the philosophy changes from winning games 2-1, to winning 6-4 they’re not going to spend the assets nor cap space to acquire an in their prime 40+ goal scorer.

Unless they draft develop and sign that player for under, or at market value it probably isn’t going to happen. It’s not how Rod wants them to play, it’s not how Williams won his championships with LA. I personally think at the end of the day Willy and Rod have Dundons ear more than anyone else in the FO.

As far as regular season goes there are probably way more PTS/$ value in 15-20G 40ish point players. Not to mention the safety aspect of a well balanced team. Loose your one 40G guy due to injury and your season could be done, loose one of your 15G guys it doesn’t hurt as bad. Load up the bottom six hit the 250-260G per season mark, make playoffs, slowly raise STM prices and profit.

They’ll address that void with players like Patches and keep their fingers crossed. It’s not a terrible strategy, it will likely keep them competitive and a perennial playoff team for years and years to come. I just don’t expect them to do the ebb and flow style of team management that the majority of the league has embraced.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
But that's the big difference between us and them. They have the top tier talent we're still looking for. So you can't really say our strategies are ok in being similar because all Tampa really does need is depth where we need some serious adds to bring the 'oomph' as Dom L likes to say on The Athletic.
That's fair, but I still think our roster can win with its level of talent if its talent performs. Obviously, the mileage of everyone varyies in that respect. I also don't think Meier is at the level of those guys either necessarily, and that was the big target we could have gotten.

Honestly, for my money, the one I wish we'd gotten the most is Tkachuk. I've seen a few people that are glad it didn't happen because of Necas and his breakout, but Tkachuk is that next level guy we could use. I'd give up the Necas of today in a heartbeat for him, and I love Marty.

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad