GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Why am I disappointed? Let’s review…

Last off-season was a wash, at best. Lost a couple of 20 goal scorers and replaced them with a 35 goal scorer. Lost 1a defenseman and replaced him with better 1a. Season has been a minus, losing patches. Nachos a plus, TiVo a minus. Net/net is that this team is about 35-40 goals worse than last year. Goaltending shaky same as last year. Going into the trade deadline, the need for goals was well known to all, and I expected some kind of progress in that direction, it didn’t happen.

So, we are going into the playoffs this year actually a worse team than last year. of the teams we will go against, Boston (if we get that far) is much more complete a team than Florida was last year. DeVilles look really good, but are unproven, Rags beat us last year and are significantly better (on paper) than last year.

our best chance is if the DeVilles aren’t ready for prime time and the Rags just can’t meld their talent into a team. Neither of those things are likely.

I love this team, but I’d be surprised if they win a playoff series this year.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
"Next home game we need to start a fire Donnie chant. 4 years of this garbage. We should have landed Tarasenko. We will be waiting with bated breath to hear the myriad of Donnie’s excuses. 10 million dollars and you can’t land a big fish. We are not as strong as last year and the competition got much better."

Don't surf the internet guys...

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
but have no shot at a long post season.
This is beyond absurd. Our chances in the playoffs are close to identical as they were before the trading. It's a team sport, players take time to mesh, and trade deadline acquisitions almost never have a major impact on a team.

We have just as good a chance of winning a cup as we did before. Chill.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
So Meier was their only plan, but they refused to put the big pieces on the table (i.e. Nikishin) in order to get him?

That tells me they weren't all that serious.
Smart move in making Nik a keeper.

Horvat Chryrun or Meier were worth giving up 28-32 draft assets.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is in no way a jab, I just want to know your opinion or perhaps you'll learn more from your source. What would have been your preferred route after the Meier trade went down (whatever actually happened)? Do you think there was really anything realistic that would have satisfied the restless natives?
I get the feeling we allowed ourselves to get tunnel visioned and didn't consider we weren't getting him. I doubt I'll learn much else, but I'll see what I can figure out.

I also think our front office needs to understand that if we want to land a legitimate top tier piece that will push us like we say we need, we have to be willing to part with someone on the roster to do it. Our biggest deals in recent years, have been when we've gone and traded someone off the roster to bring in an upgrade. We can't be paralyzed to move because we value the potential of our own assets when trying to acquire elite talent.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No "cmon". The moves they made this off-season have lead to a great team. It may or may not translate in the playoffs, but time will tell. Not sure how you can argue otherwise.
Thibk how much better they would have been if those targets hit. Right now they enjoy the locker room together but have no shot at a long post season.
No shot? Maybe, maybe not. A lot of it depends on health and goaltending. Of course we would have all liked them to add an impact player.
Yeah I know…blah blah blah plenty of draft capital remaining for next year but….
I never said that so not sure why you are blabbering on about it.

Reactions: cptjeff

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This is beyond absurd. Our chances in the playoffs are close to identical as they were before the trading. It's a team sport, players take time to mesh, and trade deadline acquisitions almost never have a major impact on a team.

We have just as good a chance of winning a cup as we did before. Chill.
I get you are satisfied and a rah rah guy.

I preferred a different approach and please don’t tell me to chill. Not your call to decide my views.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
"Next home game we need to start a fire Donnie chant. 4 years of this garbage. We should have landed Tarasenko. We will be waiting with bated breath to hear the myriad of Donnie’s excuses. 10 million dollars and you can’t land a big fish. We are not as strong as last year and the competition got much better."

Don't surf the internet guys...
Internet? I could swear that's a post in this thread. :laugh:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Situations like this always bring out the satisfied and the not satisfied.

Chill—Sorry, that’s you and it’s not in my DNA.

FWIW: It’s made me successful in life and I won’t change even through I’m an old fart.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I get the feeling we allowed ourselves to get tunnel visioned and didn't consider we weren't getting him. I doubt I'll learn much else, but I'll see what I can figure out.

I also think our front office needs to understand that if we want to land a legitimate top tier piece that will push us like we say we need, we have to be willing to part with someone on the roster to do it. Our biggest deals in recent years, have been when we've gone and traded someone off the roster to bring in an upgrade. We can't be paralyzed to move because we value the potential of our own assets when trying to acquire elite talent.
That feels like a fair take compared to some of the emotional reactions. In fairness, I myself like aggressiveness and big trades, I just roll with it better when they don't happen and knew it was less likely with this regime in the way and time folks wanted. I was one of the few that got highly upset when they did nothing at the deadline with the drought on the line and Nino being the only move earlier that year really. I do get it.

But, by all accounts they offered a similar deal to NJ and it didn't happen. They offered a young roster player by all accounts and were reported by some as the leader for Tkachuk by some until Florida got it. I do think they'll get one of these big moves at some point, unless Dundon decides to move on from them based on things that have or haven't happened.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
what makes this disappointing for me was all the Big Talk. If they’d just shut up and we had this type of trade deadline I wouldn’t be as peeved
500126C3-CBE2-4CF9-8506-4C72D808635E.jpeg

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm glad we didn't stupidly overpay for depth players or knee-jerk move ("trade just to make a trade"), and I think Ghost & JP are decent depth moves...but we literally had a month of "we need to get a scorer", "we need to replace Patches". We had $10M to do so and couldn't get anything done about it? Nothing? We could make a trade weeks before most teams had the cap space to do it as TDL approached and still come up short...THAT to me is where the disappointment comes in. And of course TD & DW talking about "loading up" & "being aggressive" sets some higher expectations than a couple depth pieces, especially with like 40 prospects and not nearly enough spots for them all coming up.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Seeing this kind of meltdown when we have the 2nd best team in the league right now is more than a little embarrassing. No team is perfect folks, that's why they play the games.
While I do like the fact that we are good in the standings now, there's a chance we aren't even leading our own division by the time the clock strikes midnight tonight.

(not a great chance, the Yotes are beyond shit, but we did lose to Anaheim, so anything is possible)

It sure would have been nice to give us some offensive help to give us more punch to help swing a few more of these upcoming regular season games in our favor. I really don't like the prospects of trying to go through NYR and then NJ just to get to the ECF this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad