GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Obviously, Dundon talking about aggressiveness (though I'm pretty certain right after that he talked about only so many guys moving the needle and people seem to ignore that) and the many big moves raised the deadline expectations and the level of emotion. We also had some space and assets and a need for a goal scorer.

But I feel like we kinda had a normal deadline for most years and most teams. In most years, you have one or two top tier guys move and then a bunch of other....stuff. We got a couple of pieces that can fill some needs for depth. That's for the most part a typical deadline even though it feels worse because of the surrounding circumstances.

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
We went into this year with a problem of replacing Nino, Tro, and needing to add a Patches. I think Nino has been generally replaced overall, but our plan to have Kk as 2C missed and we don’t have Patches. I don’t know that this deadline had the answers but it’s hard to be overly optimistic we’re going to be better this playoff than last. We’ll see if one years growth, Burns and the deadline guys are enough.

In the end this team played well enough to roll with what we have, but I do question the team building if we miss this year. I hope they don’t cling so dearly to assets in the off season.

Can we just fast forward to the playoffs now?
Sadly, I think we can fast forward to the off season.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina gonna go out and raw dog the Playoffs, win a Cup and nobody will ever trade a top pick for a player ever again. Breaking boundaries.

You joke about this, but if the Canes do make it out the East, it's very possible that they single-handedly return the deadline market to normal. The league went bonkers in 2007, the team that did nothing major won (Anaheim) and we didn't see anything like it again for 16 years.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It was an exaggeration. I don't mind them not going all in, but if they go deep into the playoffs, fans will forget this deadline. If they get knocked out in the 1st round or get beaten badly in the 2nd, fans will be upset about this deadline.
If they get knocked out before the ECF, fans will analyze everything, not just this deadline, because that's how fans are. In the end, it's a results business. That's why good coaches are constantly getting fired.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Obviously, Dundon talking about aggressiveness (though I'm pretty certain right after that he talked about only so many guys moving the needle and people seem to ignore that) and the many big moves raised the deadline expectations and the level of emotion. We also had some space and assets and a need for a goal scorer.

But I feel like we kinda had a normal deadline for most years and most teams. In most years, you have one or two top tier guys move and then a bunch of other....stuff. We got a couple of pieces that can fill some needs for depth. That's for the most part a typical deadline even though it feels worse because of the surrounding circumstances.
Henrik Lundkvist said the same thing on the broadcast the other night when Weekes said the Canes needed to make a move. He stated the Canes record and said (paraphrasing( "Normally I wouldn't make a move with a team like that. It just seems like they need to because everyone else is".

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
That's fine with me, many rival teams have invested a lot especially in terms of picks, next year they won't all be aggressive, and I'm sure that next year at the deadline we'll make the big splash.

Reactions: Summer Rose

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
We went into this year with a problem of replacing Nino, Tro, and needing to add a Patches. I think Nino has been generally replaced overall, but our plan to have Kk as 2C missed and we don’t have Patches. I don’t know that this deadline had the answers but it’s hard to be overly optimistic we’re going to be better this playoff than last. We’ll see if one years growth, Burns and the deadline guys are enough.

In the end this team played well enough to roll with what we have, but I do question the team building if we miss this year. I hope they don’t cling so dearly to assets in the off season.

Can we just fast forward to the playoffs now?
For me, Necas and Burns plus our D scoring more this year are the positives despite losing Tro and Nino. Plus, we have a healthy albeit playing less effectively Freddie. Plus, Pool party is probably a Fast replacement (and younger bigger faster).

The negatives are the goal scoring miss plus our 3D vulnerability (to repeat why we needed Chryrun).

Is Waddell’s press conference accessible?

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA

It was a normal deadline for us BUT we did lose a star player and never addressed it. Now maybe you write this year off due to injury but if we continue to lose players on UFA and don't make smart additions, we won't sustain.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If they get knocked out before the ECF, fans will analyze everything, not just this deadline, because that's how fans are. In the end, it's a results business. That's why good coaches are constantly getting fired.
Absolutely true. This deadline though was unique in terms of how many teams made major moves, but in the end, it will only be worth it for one of them so I suspect it will get more scrutiny, right or wrong.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Dundon publicly spoke about how the front office would approach the deadline as being more aggressive than ever.

Brind'Amour went on Spittin Chiclets and talked about how we needed to add a goal scorer after the Patches injury

The anger right now is absolutely justified. Our own coach and our own owner set the expectation that serious help would be coming, so to end up with only Gostbear and Poolparty is an absolute failure of the front office to deliver on their own hype.

At this point they have to at least make the ECF this year or there is going to be hell to pay among the fans in Raleigh. That might not be fair and there is absolute a lot of variables in play to get to that point, but when you effectively sit out the trade deadline when everyone around you in the standings, especially those who are going to be in your way to get our of the Metro and into the ECF, you are gambling that what you have is guaranteed good enough. And if it isn't, you're putting your own ass on the line.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
That's fine with me, many rival teams have invested a lot especially in terms of picks, next year they won't all be aggressive, and I'm sure that next year at the deadline we'll make the big splash.
Perhaps but this front office seems to prefer 28-32 first plus second round draft picks.

As the line goes, I’m from Missouri on the front office making moves next TDL They had cap space and didn’t weaponize it this year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Dundon publicly spoke about how the front office would approach the deadline as being more aggressive than ever.

Brind'Amour went on Spittin Chiclets and talked about how we needed to add a goal scorer after the Patches injury

The anger right now is absolutely justified. Our own coach and our own owner set the expectation that serious help would be coming, so to end up with only Gostbear and Poolparty is an absolute failure of the front office to deliver on their own hype.

At this point they have to at least make the ECF this year or there is going to be hell to pay among the fans in Raleigh. That might not be fair and there is absolute a lot of variables in play to get to that point, but when you effectively sit out the trade deadline when everyone around you in the standings, especially those who are going to be in your way to get our of the Metro and into the ECF, you are gambling that what you have is guaranteed good enough. And if it isn't, you're putting your own ass on the line.

LOL, c'mon. What kind of "hell to pay" could there be? a small number of fans whining in social media?

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

I understand your sentiment, it just seems too harsh to me...

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm going to say this right now.

If this team is going to hit the next level Svechnikov needs to find that next gear. he CANNOT disappear in the playoffs.

For his development he basically has this playoff and next season to turn into a ppg+ 40g scorer or what we have now is what he is. If he doesn't show us more I'll be honest....I'd be disappointed.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I guess with Pathes, they can also say, "Sure, we wanted to have the goal scorer and that's why we acquired him. But we have also seen this team play at a high level without him for almost the entire season. We tried to get the best guy to replace him, and after that, we didn't really see someone that would effectively replace that."

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
And done.
Technically the trades need to be in by 3 p.m., but then there may be x amount of delay as the NHL Central Registry will validate that all the terms of the trade are legal, onlty after which the trade will be official. So there may be some late reportings well past 3 p.m.

Generally speaking.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m seriously beside myself that they did literally nothing today. I wasn’t expecting a big splash, but at least a depth move or two.

:surrender
The big splash was the cold water being dumped on the fanbase to bring them back to reality: this is the Canes, we wade in the shallow end of the trade pool. We leave the deepend for the other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad