GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think that this deadline went according to management teams modus operandi. I have the impression that they try to make moves so that they do not sacrifice too much future success for short term investments. Meier would have been good short term solution, but it would have come with pretty hefty price. But for me Meier's worth was now at his absolutely peak value and generally it is not beneficial to pay peak prices. For example, I would argue that Jesse Puljujärvi will bring like 95 % of what Tanner Jeannot will bring, but because he was "distressed asset" the price was fraction of what Lightning paid of Jeannot. There could be more risk involved with Jesse than Tanner, but I think that there is also more upside. And re-signing Jesse will be a lot cheaper than re-signing Tanner. So Hurricanes pay a little more cash today, but less next year if they want to bring Jesse back. I also think that it was Meier vs. Pacioretty and they decided again that they suffer a bit today to get better investment tomorrow. To me Fast is also in the end of plateau phase of his career and starts gradual down swing and Jesse is expected to be replacement who is still at up swing of his career just like Kotkaniemi is growing to be Staal replacement.

For me Gostisbehere is also in plateau phase which will last for few years, but the price was so low and frankly the needed level for upgrade (DeHaan) was also quite low, so with that price it was beneficial.

If we think this season, the upgrades (third pair defenceman and fourth line winger) were small, but Hurricanes also did not sacrifice much of the future. Maybe Hurricanes odds this year did not improve much, but maybe odds actually improved next year, since other teams in Eastern conference sacrificed a lot more. And I am hopeful that Hurricanes get more Pacioretty like distressed assets in the summer.
Hurricanes are 14th in goals for and 2nd in goals against. If Svech, Teuvo, and Koko Miami keep the recent improved scoring, then goal scoring may not be the problem. If the PP is improved with the addition of Ghost, then that's another positive. While I'd like another bigger forward who can score (or would have liked that when we still had ample cap), the sky isn't falling just yet.

That said....
A lot comes down to whether Calgary decides to sell today.

If Calgary sells, Carolina is really the only team left to buy.

Putting Fast + Coghlan in a package with picks and prospects would open up $5.369M in cap space. That would be enough for Toffoli or Lindholm or Backlund.
....I'm still wondering if FL isn't our ultimate dance partner. We could trade for Bennett or Reinhart with no retention. All we'd have to do is include Hornqvist in the deal as well. His $5.3 million in LTIR cap space puts gives us $7.9 million...failing all of that, I wonder if Duclair might be available. Pure goal scorer on a good contract.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I do think it’s important to note that while it’s disappointing in the end if there’s no big addition, no assets being burned on underwhelming players with term and a considerable cap hit or washed up UFA forwards that aren’t any better than our top 6 and can’t contribute to our bottom 6 is a win in and of itself.

we didn't do welll....

we didn't do terrible.....

giphy.gif

Help us <Florida/Calgary>

giphy.gif

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
That said....

....I'm still wondering if FL isn't our ultimate dance partner. We could trade for Bennett or Reinhart with no retention. All we'd have to do is include Hornqvist in the deal as well. His $5.3 million in LTIR cap space puts gives us $7.9 million...failing all of that, I wonder if Duclair might be available. Pure goal scorer on a good contract.

Today's theme song:

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I do think it’s important to note that while it’s disappointing in the end if there’s no big addition, no assets being burned on underwhelming players with term and a considerable cap hit or washed up UFA forwards that aren’t any better than our top 6 and can’t contribute to our bottom 6 is a win in and of itself.
Amen. Every year we sit here and laugh in horror as some idiot team spends way too much on some mediocre player. It's very, very easy to get pulled into a sucker's deal at the deadline due to the emotions running high and the fear of not keeping up with the Joneses. But it's the classic arms race scenario where everybody bankrupts themselves, and the smartest thing to do is to not play.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Hurricanes are 14th in goals for and 2nd in goals against. If Svech, Teuvo, and Koko Miami keep the recent improved scoring, then goal scoring may not be the problem. If the PP is improved with the addition of Ghost, then that's another positive. While I'd like another bigger forward who can score (or would have liked that when we still had ample cap), the sky isn't falling just yet.

That said....

Regarding Calgary, I don't think Lindholm is in play. Hurricanes would not pay market value anyway. Backlund is another story. One year left and he would be an upgrade over KK at 2C. Puts KK as 4C for the playoffs. Pay a first with some retainage for Backlund and be done. He's only played for the Flames so not sure how serious they are about trading him. Good player though. solid defensively.

BTW, I'm laughing as I type this because there is a snowball's chance in hell that the Borg would pay a 1st. their offer would be a 4th.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
You're confusing the draft with the trade deadline.
Nah, both apply. Asset acquisition is asset acquisition. Bolts approach is not necessarily wrong with re: to late draft picks (and sure Aho and a few other jewels are found but for the most part the stars come from top 10 draft picks).

If you can get a chyrrun asset for future unknown late picks at ANY TIME you make the move. Canes have the cap space and could use him for this run…CDH is meh.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Amen. Every year we sit here and laugh in horror as some idiot team spends way too much on some mediocre player. It's very, very easy to get pulled into a sucker's deal at the deadline due to the emotions running high and the fear of not keeping up with the Joneses. But it's the classic arms race scenario where everybody bankrupts themselves, and the smartest thing to do is to not play.
I don't mind this. Not this year. At this point I HATE the rangers simply based on players forcing their way there. Their fanbase being f***ing obnoxious is just the cherry. I *really* hope the have to face NJ in the first round. Spending a bunch on short term pieces this year may have been a fools errand. Boston with thier record season. NYR getting everyone free. NJ having the inside line on Meier. I'm glad we didn't do nothing. But the storyline on scoring issues is getting old and next season we have Goaltending to worry about.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I'm not butt hurt about this at all. We have no idea what the back story on Vrana is....depending on him to recapture his game after his rehab isn't where we want to be. More distraction than addition.

Agreed. I hope he gets the help and rehab (personally and professionally) he needs, but he can do that anywhere. That would definitely be a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad