GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
But we were specifically told there would be aggressiveness
I'm curious how between your source and what was reported it seems like you know we were aggressive in the biggest move of the deadline and never had a great chance and yet you're still posting all this. I feel like Dundon also said they weren't just going to piss away big assets on players that wouldn't move the needle, and it's entirely possible that's how they've felt about a lot of the other moves since then.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Not surprised. We haven’t invested the pieces to pay for multiple season retentions. Hayes is fairly meh to want to pay for it.
Lindholm is likely very expensive, rightfully, and I doubt we want to pay that for just 1.25 seasons.

Reactions: Tryamw

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not surprising that it's gonna be a boring deadline day for us more than likely.
Going to be a boring May and June as well. The borg are geniuses, at least one or two of their employees hold a Ph.D. But the Canes are going to make the playoffs for a NHL I mean Canes record 5 times in a row. And if we lose, we can read the dissertations of our front office studs.

Reactions: robbieberns

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Also, re: Calgary, I have to imagine there’s some regret about the Tkachuk trade at this point. Maybe not with dealing him (since it sounded like he forced their hand), but taking the Florida deal over Carolina’s or St. Louis’ has to be questioned, given how absolutely lackluster Huberdeau has looked. He’s looked like he got his payday and decided he was done playing hockey.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Honestly relieved what a dud the Canes are again.

Frees up my summer schedule and dont have to worry about convincing my love that cameron south isnt a shithole.

Reactions: dogbazinho

FinLurker

Aug 22, 2016
I think that this deadline went according to management teams modus operandi. I have the impression that they try to make moves so that they do not sacrifice too much future success for short term investments. Meier would have been good short term solution, but it would have come with pretty hefty price. But for me Meier's worth was now at his absolutely peak value and generally it is not beneficial to pay peak prices. For example, I would argue that Jesse Puljujärvi will bring like 95 % of what Tanner Jeannot will bring, but because he was "distressed asset" the price was fraction of what Lightning paid of Jeannot. There could be more risk involved with Jesse than Tanner, but I think that there is also more upside. And re-signing Jesse will be a lot cheaper than re-signing Tanner. So Hurricanes pay a little more cash today, but less next year if they want to bring Jesse back. I also think that it was Meier vs. Pacioretty and they decided again that they suffer a bit today to get better investment tomorrow. To me Fast is also in the end of plateau phase of his career and starts gradual down swing and Jesse is expected to be replacement who is still at up swing of his career just like Kotkaniemi is growing to be Staal replacement.

For me Gostisbehere is also in plateau phase which will last for few years, but the price was so low and frankly the needed level for upgrade (DeHaan) was also quite low, so with that price it was beneficial.

If we think this season, the upgrades (third pair defenceman and fourth line winger) were small, but Hurricanes also did not sacrifice much of the future. Maybe Hurricanes odds this year did not improve much, but maybe odds actually improved next year, since other teams in Eastern conference sacrificed a lot more. And I am hopeful that Hurricanes get more Pacioretty like distressed assets in the summer.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Going to be a boring May and June as well. The borg are geniuses, at least one or two of their employees hold a Ph.D. But the Canes are going to make the playoffs for a NHL I mean Canes record 5 times in a row. And if we lose, we can read the dissertations of our front office studs.
Dude 15 teams are gonna lose in the playoffs, odd are against them winning regardless of how many TDL deals they made.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I might have to leave my phone at home today when I leave for work so i’m not just checking it every five minutes only to end up disappointed

hopefully we pull off something worth celebrating otherwise me checking back in with you all later today will look a lot like that Grampa Simpson gif

Reactions: Stickpucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad