GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Let’s hope Calgary loses and decides it’s smart to move someone tomorrow. I think Carolina would move their 1st if they get a guy with at least another year on his deal.

Reactions: Stickpucker

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
For what it's worth, it sounds like Lindholm has an infant in NICU, so I really doubt they'd trade him with that going on.
Damn that sucks. My mom worked NICU for years before switching to ER. She swears that working NICU takes years off your life.

Reactions: Stickpucker

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Tom D did say there wasnt much on the market that was going to make much of a difference to our roster. once Meier was out, the writing was on the wall.
But they need good depth if someone in the top 6 gets injured who’s coming up to replace them right now statsny?

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
About Meier, IMO all the more reason we should've added a 1st round pick from next year on top of everything else we offered (including our 1st from this year) for Meier given the lack of "difference makers" available.

Meier and Horvat were overall the two best forward players we could've gotten (with Chychrun being a close third if we include defense), and since unlike with Vancouver and Horvat, draft pick position was not a concern for San Jose with Meier (obviously when New Jersey was/is 2nd place in our division; they're only 1 point behind us now), why not offer an additional late 1st round pick for Meier? If they say no, we can move on and feel like we left everything on the table but our untouchable players. Clearly we weren't going to trade Jarvis or Nikishin, and so really the only other thing of significance was next year's 1st round pick.

But what do I know. I'm just a random person on the internet, and a person that sees late 1st round picks being expendable for a player of Meier's talent and age (or Chychrun for that matter).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
About Meier, IMO all the more reason we should've added a 1st round pick from next year on top of everything else we offered (including our 1st from this year) for Meier given the lack of "difference makers" available.

Meier and Horvat were overall the two best forward players we could've gotten (with Chychrun being a close third if we include defense), and since unlike with Vancouver and Horvat, draft pick position was not a concern for San Jose with Meier (obviously when New Jersey was/is 2nd place in our division; they're only 1 point behind us now), why not offer an additional late 1st round pick for Meier? If they say no, we can move on and feel like we left everything on the table but our untouchable players. Clearly we weren't going to trade Jarvis or Nikishin, and so really the only other thing of significance was next year's 1st round pick.

But what do I know. I'm just a random person on the internet, and a person that sees late 1st round picks being expendable for a player of Meier's talent and age (or Chychrun for that matter).
We don’t know what the other 3 pieces offered were so its hard to say what switching our 2nd to a conditional first would have done. If it’s Philly’s 2nd vs a conditional first the pick is likely to only be 10 spots worse than NJ’s and then it would be ~20 spots better if the conditions aren’t met.

Either way, who knows what we would have made better if given the chance

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
We don’t know what the other 3 pieces offered were so its hard to say what switching our 2nd to a conditional first would have done. If it’s Philly’s 2nd vs a conditional first the pick is likely to only be 10 spots worse than NJ’s and then it would be ~20 spots better if the conditions aren’t met.
FWIW, personally, I would've offered a top 10 protected 2024 1st round pick (or unprotected if they insist; I doubt we fall off a cliff next season) on top of this year's 1st round and Philly's 2nd round from next year; which I think we all assumed they offered. Of course that's on top of Morrow and whatever 3 non-Nikishin prospects we offered. Typing all that, it truly is a major package. I'd feel better about it if Meier was a center, but I'd still do it.
True.

It's hard to say if it would've been enough, and especially if San Jose loved one or more of Jersey's players so much; which they seemed to have. Some GMs fall in love with players.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

And given NJ was getting every chance to match from San Jose, who knows what Jersey would counter with if Carolina improved one of the 6 pieces.

I don’t think there was anything reasonable Carolina could offer that Jersey wouldn’t have matched.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

IDK this sounds suspiciously like rationalization to me
:)

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
And given NJ was getting every chance to match from San Jose, who knows what Jersey would counter with if Carolina improved one of the 6 pieces.

I don’t think there was anything reasonable Carolina could offer that Jersey wouldn’t have matched.
Yes, that is very important not to forget the public announcement of New Jersey asking for a final notice/offer to counter another team's offer. I'm not sure, but that sounds uncommon in the NHL (other people are probably more familiar with the historical trade world than I am), and so that would be an unfair advantage.

However, if we had offered an additional 1st round pick on top of everything else, and New Jersey then had an even better counter offer, at least we would've raised the price for New Jersey before we walked away. That's important for a divisional opponent to pay a heavier price for a significant player without us even offering Jarvis or Nikishin.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
And down goes Chychrun… hope he’s ok but man… that’s gotta suck for ottawa

And he’s up… just loves the dramatics I guess

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
On another note, do you think Trocheck is loving life? He's got a great contract, playing in NYC and is centering Panarin and Kane.
He’s been playing really well too. He was driving the line as much as Panarin, who hasn’t been himself this season. Watching them tonight, he’s made a lot of solid plays that just didn’t end up in the net. Almost 50 pts before Kane even showed up.

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad