GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Yes, they still have to play the games, but this year's playoffs feels like more of a coronation than literally any/every other year. So maybe it is a year to protect/extend our window and not go all in?

I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Borsig

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
To imitate the insidurz…

“I wonder”…if they make a prospect trade or 2 from AHL team to AHL team. A trade of say, Jack Drury for Nils Hoglander wouldn’t have any cap implications until calling up the player from the minors. Also, seems like getting one more depth D that is currently or could be stashed in the AHL wouldn’t be the worst idea.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can see players having two different takes.

In Ottawa, they are on the outside looking in, so adding "help" would be viewed very positively.
In Carolina, they have the 2nd best record in the NHL (and best since Thanksgiving), so I can kind of see a "Miracle" moment where the players might feel they are good enough to win with who they have so don't want to do what Toronto did and completely change the make-up.

Still a bit puzzling to me in that the Canes thought they needed goal scoring of Pacioretty, RBA even said so at the All-star break, and they didn't address it (yet). As BDC said, they'll either look like a genius or a fool come playoff time. Only time will tell.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I can see players having two different takes.

In Ottawa, they are on the outside looking in, so adding "help" would be viewed very positively.
In Carolina, they have the 2nd best record in the NHL (and best since Thanksgiving), so I can kind of see a "Miracle" moment where the players might feel they are good enough to win with who they have so don't want to do what Toronto did and completely change the make-up.

Still a bit puzzling to me in that the Canes thought they needed goal scoring of Pacioretty, RBA even said so at the All-star break, and they didn't address it (yet). As BDC said, they'll either look like a genius or a fool come playoff time. Only time will tell.
We needed scoring. We didn't get any. Poolparty was a planned move for next season. Any speculation beyond that is just spin. We needed scoring and we did not get it. 10m in cap space pretty much blown. But you know, that won't get me likes.

I get we got the shaft on Meier. I also did not thing Horvat was a 9m player. Whatever.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
To be fair, you need a partner to make a deal. The Borg really made a good push for Meier, and we know they made competitive offer.. We can all speculate that we could have offered this prospect instead, or another draft pick to sweeten the deal, but we still don't know if it would have been accepted, or at what point it would make absolutely no sense.

Kane, Tarasenko and O'Reilly all picked their teams, and some would argue that they aren't really needle moving offensive players at this point of their career.

Chychrun wasn't really a huge need, thus not worth the assets.

What other needle moving offensive guys have been moved at this point that we missed out on?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
To be fair, you need a partner to make a deal. The Borg really made a good push for Meier, and we know they made competitive offer.. We can all speculate that we could have offered this prospect instead, or another draft pick to sweeten the deal, but we still don't know if it would have been accepted, or at what point it would make absolutely no sense.

Kane, Tarasenko and O'Reilly all picked their teams, and some would argue that they aren't really needle moving offensive players at this point of their career.

What other needle moving offensive guys have been moved at this point that we missed out on?
Now, now, don't go making sense. This is the doom and gloom panic room.

We're fine. We could be having a much worse TDL. We could be selling the farm for unnecessary trash just for the sake of "doing something."

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think that this deadline went according to management teams modus operandi. I have the impression that they try to make moves so that they do not sacrifice too much future success for short term investments. Meier would have been good short term solution, but it would have come with pretty hefty price. But for me Meier's worth was now at his absolutely peak value and generally it is not beneficial to pay peak prices. For example, I would argue that Jesse Puljujärvi will bring like 95 % of what Tanner Jeannot will bring, but because he was "distressed asset" the price was fraction of what Lightning paid of Jeannot. There could be more risk involved with Jesse than Tanner, but I think that there is also more upside. And re-signing Jesse will be a lot cheaper than re-signing Tanner. So Hurricanes pay a little more cash today, but less next year if they want to bring Jesse back. I also think that it was Meier vs. Pacioretty and they decided again that they suffer a bit today to get better investment tomorrow. To me Fast is also in the end of plateau phase of his career and starts gradual down swing and Jesse is expected to be replacement who is still at up swing of his career just like Kotkaniemi is growing to be Staal replacement.

For me Gostisbehere is also in plateau phase which will last for few years, but the price was so low and frankly the needed level for upgrade (DeHaan) was also quite low, so with that price it was beneficial.

If we think this season, the upgrades (third pair defenceman and fourth line winger) were small, but Hurricanes also did not sacrifice much of the future. Maybe Hurricanes odds this year did not improve much, but maybe odds actually improved next year, since other teams in Eastern conference sacrificed a lot more. And I am hopeful that Hurricanes get more Pacioretty like distressed assets in the summer.
Good points.

The challenge is that outside of their two probable stud d men the rest of the system right now appears to be 3rd and 4th line material. They are going to have a player logjam and need to move assets anyway. Drafting 28-32 doesn’t necessarily keep a franchise relevant.

Reactions: ndp and Stickpucker

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
A lot comes down to whether Calgary decides to sell today.

If Calgary sells, Carolina is really the only team left to buy.

Putting Fast + Coghlan in a package with picks and prospects would open up $5.369M in cap space. That would be enough for Toffoli or Lindholm or Backlund.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

“Chychrun wasn't really a huge need, thus not worth the assets.”

Maybe but lots of top franchises in pro sports go with “best player available” versus “need“ sometimes. A high quality young cost controlled Dman is valued and they could have traded him or one of pesce/Skjei for offense in the off season or next year.

That is a trade I would have made.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
“Chychrun wasn't really a huge need, thus not worth the assets.”

Maybe but lots of top franchises in pro sports go with “best player available” versus “need“ sometimes. A high quality young cost controlled Dman is valued and they could have traded him or one of pesce/Skjei for offense in the off season or next year.

That is a trade I would have made.
I see the value in bringing in Chychrun.

That said, Carolina had a D core of Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, an opportunity to move one for a forward, and could not find value for those defensemen.

Do we want to watch them go through that trade attempt again? Or is it better to hold the assets and get the forward directly?

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Carolina will make an addition today. There are too many sellers and they will not let Cap space go to waste.

I will guess Monahan

Eric Staal sucks an entire bag of dicks. That would be subtraction by addition. Keep his shitty attitude in Florida.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
I know nothing about Anthony Duclair (other than he just came back from injury) but his cap hit is basically the space we've got left if we move out Coghlan.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
we have enough cap space for Eric AND Marc :sarcasm:
... And the Hurricanes, as the only team still with room, acquires all the Staals. That wraps it, join us again for the Trade Deadline in 2024!

And the craziest part is that with $10m in cap space and a ton of picks and prospects we largely sat it out
We don't know how balls deep they have been for the last weeks, only that nothing much came into fruitition. I understand DW took badly the fashion how we missed out on Meier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad