GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
A lot of HF 26 is so over reactional. I know you guys don't need me to tell you this. As an example a week or so ago some post about the Rangers having 5 skaters more offensively talented then anyone on the Canes. There point being we need more scoring, that in and of itself I dont disagree with. However when I asked for a list I was given Bread, Mikka, Fox, Tank, and soon to be Kane (obviously pre trade) well I looked up the stats and outside of Kane in his prime Aho has much better scoring stats then any of them.

I think a vocal group on these forums are for name recognition and severely under rate our current players. I also think that 16 teams will make the dance most of them have upgraded and all but one upgraded team will go him disappointed and short a bunch of assets from the TDL

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
The point being that those immensely talented teams got "a couple years of being Elite", which was what the tweet you quoted said Carolina has set themselves up for.
I mean at the end of next season they’ve got the potential to go from borderline elite to very pedestrian.

I think the point I was trying to make, along with the tweet, was that last season, this season or next is probably a good time to make a more impactful deadline move. They’re probably looking at a re-tool pretty soon.

Last season and this season the Hurricanes were/are elite by regular season standards, hopefully next season as well. After that who knows.

Edit to add: That being said there weren’t a lot of moves outside of Meier that I think honestly moved the needle that much. And that was viewing Meier as a long term addition.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Last year he had 9G - 32PTS in 53 games along with being a pest, then he came to us and was a completely lame duck who had 1 really bright/memorable moment. If Rod's not letting him get into the "rough stuff" (where we get rag-dolled after the whistle with no retaliation), then he's probably pretty much useless to us.

I'm not advocating for Domi. Just stating the obvious of what he's done this season, our need for more scoring help up front, and that he could be had for essentially nothing (a 3rd probably). That's all.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I still have hope for Lindholm or Toffoli /w 3rd party retention. (2-2.5m retention should cost a 3rd)
Remember, both of them have another year after this, so the retention is over a full year. When we are asked to do that (Marleau ~ $4M) we charged a 1st. I'd expect a 2nd as a bare minimum to retain on either of those contracts.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Wonder if Poolparty can hop the fence by tomorrow

Remember, both of them have another year after this, so the retention is over a full year. When we are asked to do that (Marleau ~ $4M) we charged a 1st. I'd expect a 2nd as a bare minimum to retain on either of those contracts.
Unless we send Fast out and replace him with poolparty now.

I know, I know.. I dream.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
A lot of HF 26 is so over reactional. I know you guys don't need me to tell you this. As an example a week or so ago some post about the Rangers having 5 skaters more offensively talented then anyone on the Canes. There point being we need more scoring, that in and of itself I dont disagree with. However when I asked for a list I was given Bread, Mikka, Fox, Tank, and soon to be Kane (obviously pre trade) well I looked up the stats and outside of Kane in his prime Aho has much better scoring stats then any of them.

I think a vocal group on these forums are for name recognition and severely under rate our current players. I also think that 16 teams will make the dance most of them have upgraded and all but one upgraded team will go him disappointed and short a bunch of assets from the TDL

The Canes are 12th in gf and NYR is 10th /w 2 more gp.

Boston is 2nd with 26 more goals and 25 less g/a.
NJ has 15 more gf and 8 more ga.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Last 2 seasons and this one combined:
Panarin: 222 points in 178 games
Kane: 203 points in 188 games
Zib: 196 points in 198 games
Aho: 190 points in 187 games
Fox: 177 points (as a defenseman) in 194 games
Tank: 125 points in 137 games

Aho is on par with Zib for sure. Fox being a defenseman isn't a comparable, but has more offensive chops than any Canes D by a good margin.

Tank's been injure a lot so hard to assess over this same stretch.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I mean at the end of next season they’ve got the potential to go from borderline elite to very pedestrian.

I think the point I was trying to make, along with the tweet, was that last season, this season or next is probably a good time to make a more impactful deadline move. They’re probably looking at a re-tool pretty soon.

Last season and this season the Hurricanes were/are elite by regular season standards, hopefully next season as well. After that who knows.

Agree with this. Deadline was disappointing but only in the context of every team around us loading up. Next off season if we have a similar outcome I question how well we are positioned for the future and if our assessments are on mark.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't think I've ever seen him be mean.

He may look like a wookie but...

In his first game or two here I saw him x-checking people near our goalie and messing people up. It seemed like RBA talked to him b/c that got cut out real quick like.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
One interesting thing to note here is that Waddell pulled the trigger on one of the most controversial deadlines in NHL history. Tkachuk for a 1st and then getting swept in the 1st round was disappointing enough. It was Coburn for Zhitnik that he caught so much heat for. For newer fans, Coburn turned into a top pair caliber defenseman in Philly after the trade in his early 20s, while Zhitnik was bought out a year later. Think Forsberg for Erat of the late 00s/early 10s. Coburn’s relatively short peak is why it’s not remembered as negatively as it was when I started lurking on this site ~14 years ago (good lord).

I often wonder how much of an effect those scars have on his philosophies that he presumably argues in favor of to the ultimate decision maker.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Agree with this. Deadline was disappointing but only in the context of every team around us loading up. Next off season if we have a similar outcome I question how well we are positioned for the future and if our assessments are on mark.

Why in THE FUDGE (not directed at you) did TD go on media and say we are going to be agressive?

Reactions: Daeavorn

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
TD Early December:
Kids...we're going BIGGGGGG! this Christmas.

Christmas morning:
poor-christmas.jpg

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Because he fully believed we were getting Meier.

Seriously, that's why. I think our front office was fully prepared to match and beat any offer that went out there, and were never given the chance.
I'm critical of that approach but it does seem to fit mgmt's narrative perfectly. To me, this was the year to get one of the big three : Meier, Horvat, or Chychrun. all players in their 20s with varying term on contracts. seems rare that these type of players would be available at trade deadline but they were. Carolina had plenty of assets to trade. I don't believe mgmt. didn't realize their first rounder would be less attractive to counter party than another team's. they did and chose not to outbid. This happens again and again when expensive talent hits the trade market (Eichel, Tkachuk). Always the bridesmaid for Carolina.

I also question the logic behind waiting for the summer when we will have draft capital and salary cap space to go after players. You had both right now and Meier, Horvat and Chychrun didn't qualify as high end players? I don't buy that logic. I blame Waddell more than Dundon. Dundon is very involved but Waddell needs to "manage up" and convince the boss here's why it makes sense to outbid the market for player X. You don't have to abandon the "we won the trade" mentality. Just compliment it when the opportunity to acquire a high end talent presents itself. That's what playoff winning teams do.

I realize nothing is certain, but the economics of a deep playoff run and perhaps winning the Cup are enormous. This should carry significant value to the Canes but apparently it does not. Plus, draft capital is IMO overrated. How many late first, 2nd and 3rd round picks amount to quality NHLers? not high enough to horde these picks like the Canes do. Look at past three drafts: already multiple guys are no longer consider high end prospects. that's the risk of boom/bust drafting mentality. Plus there are limited roster spots for prospects. there would have been 1 less had the team acquired one of the big three.

very poor job of asset management this year. Losing Chychrun was the worst. Adding a pick to our offer would have likely gotten the deal done. why would the Borg act like it was too much compensation for a cost controlled 24 year old #1/#2 defenseman?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Guys on the big trade board this is still an asset who is going to "fill his oppenents nets" I'm sure we could acquire!!

According to Mtl fans we always wanted to draft him...

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad