GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I will agree that the TDL has been underwhelming given the possibilities coming in but some of this talk is ridiculous. This is still a really good team who can absolutely make some noise come playoff time. Yes, we need our top guys to step up but so does everyone else and this was the case whether we made a big trade splash or not.

We've been in conversations for all of the big names recently and while I do think we may value our picks/prospects a little too much given our current makeup I don't think we got beat because we were cheap.

Tkachuk - would've probably taken Necas/Jarvis + Pesce to match
Horvat - Nucks wanted a 1st that was going to be low/mid teens and not mid/high 20s
Meier - from all indications it doesn't seem like we were given a fair shake; not even sure making Nikishin available would've mattered, probably takes Jarvis+ to get NJ to back out
Chychrun - again they took a 1st in the low/mid teens

While I mostly agree with this. It’s getting a little grating to see other teams beat the Canes out for the difference makers each and every time. Would be nice to win one of those bidding wars.

Reactions: Sigurd and Tryamw

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Meier - from all indications it doesn't seem like we were given a fair shake; not even sure making Nikishin available would've mattered, probably takes Jarvis+ to get NJ to back out
Sharks GM probably didn't knowingly tie Canes into doomed negotiations to stop a competitor of NJ from looking for a top tier player elsewhere...?

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Of all the "Big" name that we missed on the only one I think we might have had a real shot on is Horvat.. But I think we chose Meier as our target and in the end that hurt.. But I can't say it was a mistake.. except in hindsight

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022

I'm sure Carolina was in on that and didn't want to pay it. Reasonable but disappointing.

Hopefully they move on to plan D soon.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Bertuzzi wasn’t worth a 1st and a 4th. Whine all you want but its an overpayment and he wouldn’t make us cup favorites.
Its unlikely a late 1st or a 4th would turn into a player of Bertuzzi's quality, so is that really an overpayment?

I think what we're seeing right now is that our perception of what is and is not fair value is not what is being realized in the market.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Sharks GM probably didn't knowingly tie Canes into doomed negotiations to stop a competitor of NJ from looking for a top tier player elsewhere...?
I mean given the close personal relationships that a few in the SJ front office have with NJ, I wouldn't be surprised if trapping us into a doomed negotiation to the benefit of NJ was part of the strategy here

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Its unlikely a late 1st or a 4th would turn into a player of Bertuzzi's quality, so is that really an overpayment?

I think what we're seeing right now is that our perception of what is and is not fair value is not what is being realized in the market.
It’s unlikely Boston’s next season 1st is a late first. Even then Bertuzzi has 4 goals. I would say there is a decent chance both those picks could play at least 20 games and score 4 goals

Reactions: A Star is Burns

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Maybe it was the post Stadium Series high talking, but, perhaps, they should refrain from using words such as “aggressive” in their talking points especially for the TDL. Especially given the state of the hopeful but anxious fan base. Aggression implies some risk taking. Maybe I missed it but I didn’t see much in their proposed offers.

While there is still time on the clock, it would have been better to have been pleasantly surprised had they actually delivered instead of feeling the usual letdown after the over promised hype.
That’s been my problem so far. I know we have today and tomorrow still but giving up a 3rd rounder in 2026 and a prospect who likely wasn’t being signed doesn’t exactly scream aggressive to me. Especially with 10 million in available cap space.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
While I mostly agree with this. It’s getting a little grating to see other teams beat the Canes out for the difference makers each and every time. Would be nice to win one of those bidding wars.

I get it, I don't feel dissimilarly; but at the same time I wouldn't trade spots with any of those teams that won those trades either.

Sure NJ is on a big upswing and is going to be good for a while but it's to be expected with who they've been able to draft over the last 5 years.

Reactions: Tryamw

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
It’s unlikely Boston’s next season 1st is a late first. Even then Bertuzzi has 4 goals. I would say there is a decent chance both those picks could play at least 20 games and score 4 goals
Why Boston will be just as good. And bertuzzi has only played like 30 games this year. Why are people quick to forget he scored 30 last year lol

Reactions: MustardStew

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Maybe the best strategy isn't to pay anything this year with NYR bos NJ and Toronto all loading up.
Let them blow their wad and try next year.

We aren't competing with any of those offers on any of those players, so why throw anything away of value on a wild swing at the most wepaonzied eastern conference playoffs ever?

f*** it. Run what you brung. Go for longer deals if available (pool party signing) and throw the dice in the playoffs.

I mean it's not like paying to get in the bloodbath will do us any good when we can't score anyways.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I’m thinking the Canes are going to package Gostisbehere with say a Fast and Target someone like Laine.
Think about what that would bring

Laine Aho JP or Tevo
Svech KK Necas

Martinook Staal Jarvis or JP

Noesen Stansny Tevo, or Jarvis

our PP improves with Laine, Tevo is still on the PK. Our scoring ability on the 3rd land 4th
line increases

why would Columbus do this? Fast is Great in the Locker Room, Gostisbehere gives them points from the points, a 1st, philly’s 3rd, 2023, and 2nd 2024, and if need be Morrow and/or Drury, and that would be a haul that any team looking to rebuild would have a hard time turning down, IMO

• Haha
Reactions: poobags
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad