GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Retained Toffoli is going to be extremely expensive. Calgary wants to compete and he has been their best player this year.

He may cost more than Meier. 1st + Morrow + conditional 1st + prospects

You think? Even a name like Lindholm has been thrown around. I assumed they were willing to sell. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Second line basically invincible
This would be nice

Guess they have to hope a team has an appetite for retaining if they want to make any sort of forward add, outside of Domi.

They could always trade Fast as part of a deal to free up $2M, or even Staal, heck that’d clear $6M…time to go big game hunting…:sarcasm:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I really hope we have another big move up our sleeve, because if we pass the deadline with our only moves being Poolparty and Gost, we might look back on this as one of the biggest missed opportunities of this current era of the franchise.

Someone mentioned it earlier in the week, that it seems like the Canes are falling into the trap of hoarding all their picks and prospects, and its hard to argue with it given the situation we had this year.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
PLD sounds like an offseason move to me. I would love to get him though but I dunno if hed like Raleigh any more than Columbus.

Not saying I would do this...but if TD really is "petty" he would acquire PLD and sign him to a long term contract and have Montreal fans watch him have an illustrious career here.

He is their "great hope" right now as to not be a bottom feeder the next few seasons.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Well now I’m glad we didn’t do anything. No one’s beating Boston lol. Might go down as the best team of the cap era at this rate.

Watching the likes of Boston, New York, Toronto, and New Jersey load up like they have while we sit back and go for 2 marginal role players is a pretty big disappointment this season. They may publicly say they have faith in this roster, but they failed to make the kind of trades needed to gear up for a playoff run, and they're effectively kicking the can to the next season.

At this point, I'm not sure this front office really wants to do what is necessary to win the Cup. I think we're content with being good, not great, and we'll be happy to make the playoffs for 10 years in a row without ever seriously going for a title. It could happen that a run falls into our lap, but we're not going to load up and try to make it happen.

I feel like we're setting ourselves up to be this decade's San Jose Sharks. An excellent regular season team with obvious weaknesses that get exposed every year in the playoffs preventing an otherwise great team from reaching the pinnacle.

I really hope they prove me wrong with a big swing soon, because right now, it just feels like we're voluntarily kneecapping ourselves because we're not willing to pay the expensive price to get the top end talent that we know we've needed for a while now.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Maybe it was the post Stadium Series high talking, but, perhaps, they should refrain from using words such as “aggressive” in their talking points especially for the TDL. Especially given the state of the hopeful but anxious fan base. Aggression implies some risk taking. Maybe I missed it but I didn’t see much in their proposed offers.

While there is still time on the clock, it would have been better to have been pleasantly surprised had they actually delivered instead of feeling the usual letdown after the over promised hype.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I will agree that the TDL has been underwhelming given the possibilities coming in but some of this talk is ridiculous. This is still a really good team who can absolutely make some noise come playoff time. Yes, we need our top guys to step up but so does everyone else and this was the case whether we made a big trade splash or not.

We've been in conversations for all of the big names recently and while I do think we may value our picks/prospects a little too much given our current makeup I don't think we got beat because we were cheap.

Tkachuk - would've probably taken Necas/Jarvis + Pesce to match
Horvat - Nucks wanted a 1st that was going to be low/mid teens and not mid/high 20s
Meier - from all indications it doesn't seem like we were given a fair shake; not even sure making Nikishin available would've mattered, probably takes Jarvis+ to get NJ to back out
Chychrun - again they took a 1st in the low/mid teens

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I will agree that the TDL has been underwhelming given the possibilities coming in but some of this talk is ridiculous. This is still a really good team who can absolutely make some noise come playoff time. Yes, we need our top guys to step up but so does everyone else and this was the case whether we made a big trade splash or not.

We've been in conversations for all of the big names recently and while I do think we may value our picks/prospects a little too much given our current makeup I don't think we got beat because we were cheap.

Tkachuk - would've probably taken Necas/Jarvis + Pesce to match
Horvat - Nucks wanted a 1st that was going to be low/mid teens and not mid/high 20s
Meier - from all indications it doesn't seem like we were given a fair shake; not even sure making Nikishin available would've mattered, probably takes Jarvis+ to get NJ to back out
Chychrun - again they took a 1st in the low/mid teens
I'd love to re-like this but I have but 1 to give

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad