GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Calgary retaining makes no sense for them. Friedman just making stuff up.
No he’s not lol he’s usually pretty connected

Friedman earlier on TNT apparently thinks that the Flames and Canes are still talking about a trade and mentioned Backlund as a possibility. One season remaining at $5.7M AAV, and could fit in at 50% retainment if Coghlan comes back in the other direction. IDK if that would be my idea for a trade, but just mentioning what I heard. I'd rather get Toffoli or even Dube, but whatever.
Backlund makes sense as a 2c

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I think Friedman has historically been one of the outlets that Carolina uses on occasion. It is hard to separate speculation from rumor though.

I think Friedman was the one who said that Carolina was not interested in Schmaltz and I think that turned out to be true in the short-term

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Doesn’t have to be the Flames doing the retaining.
We aren’t ones to pay for that when its going to be expensive

It wouldnt make any sense for us to take on JP just to force us to spend a dumb amount to get someone to retain for 1.25 seasons

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I think Friedman has historically been one of the outlets that Carolina uses on occasion. It is hard to separate speculation from rumor though.

I think Friedman was the one who said that Carolina was not interested in Schmaltz and I think that turned out to be true in the short-term
Lebrun I think has a good source within the canes organization always seems to be the one breaking deals involving Carolina

Reactions: A Star is Burns

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
On that segment Friedman said he was purely speculating

Here's the thing, though, $2.6M is relatively large amount of space, and because of the 23-man roster limit, you effectively need to send Coghlan's $760K back in any trade to add someone else. That would leave $3369167 in cap space to add someone else. There's a lot of players, both 50% retained or not, that can fit into that amount of space. I don't think that the Canes are done yet.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don’t really see the point of Backlund, especially after using up the majority of their remaining cap on Gostisbehere. Bertuzzi or Vrana or even Toffoli if you’re fixated on Calgary makes oodles more sense.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I don’t really see the point of Backlund, especially after using up the majority of their remaining cap on Gostisbehere. Bertuzzi or Vrana or even Toffoli if you’re fixated on Calgary makes oodles more sense.
Backlund deal is more complicated because you’ll need a third team to make it work likely. Bertuzzi or Vrana makes sense but I’m leaning towards bertuzzi more cause he’s gonna bring an element the top 6 kinda lacks.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
FO would have to have quite a change of heart to pay for a double retain or worse a multi season retain. Im not holding my breath on that. At best its an soon to be UFA retain.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
FO would have to have quite a change of heart to pay for a double retain or worse a multi season retain. Im not holding my breath on that. At best its a soon to be UFA retain.
I think it’s a UFA as well can’t see a double retention unless the player is pretty much coming for free. That eliminates Henrique, backlund, Hayes. Doesn’t leave many ufa to be guys besides bertuzzi and jvr

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Second line basically invincible tonight and New Jersey 1 point behind if there isn’t another top 6 scorer added that’s pathetic imo. Second line can’t sustain any pressure teuvo and KK are just out floating around not sure what’s wrong with teuvo but he looks scared to get involved

Reactions: chaz4hockey

hurricure

Sr Vice President of Snacking
Oct 8, 2016
Trail BC
Second line basically invincible tonight and New Jersey 1 point behind if there isn’t another top 6 scorer added that’s pathetic imo. Second line can’t sustain any pressure teuvo and KK are just out floating around not sure what’s wrong with teuvo but he looks scared to get involved

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Yup sign me up for this all day. Bertuzzi adds scoring and some nastiness exactly what the top 6 could use
Tyler Bertuzzi has 4G 10A in 29GP, that’s a 12 goal pace if we’re rounding up. He’s not really an upgrade on anyone in our top six right now. And his “nastiness” likely becomes nothing but a liability in the playoffs. If they could get him super cheep sure why not. I’m not sure bringing in more buy low, borderline 2nd line players is the answer.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Us getting actual scoring was a possibility with 10m in space. We spent like 70 percent of that on a next year reclamation project and a 7th d.

Run what ya brung. I agree we should not do rentals. Yet that's exactly what we've done so far. Ghost isn't going to be re-signed, pool party being an rfa is a little different, not like we could have just gotten him if he walked from EDM.
I really dislike the way we basically threw our space at this. Whatver. Last night's game and the one vs Anaheim shows we STILL have scoring issues. Yet here we are.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Tyler Bertuzzi has 4G 10A in 29GP, that’s a 12 goal pace if we’re rounding up. He’s not really an upgrade on anyone in our top six right now. And his “nastiness” likely becomes nothing but a liability in the playoffs. If they could get him super cheep sure why not. I’m not sure bringing in more buy low, borderline 2nd line players is the answer.
At least he might hit a guy and get more involved than Teuvo who looks scared. Bertuzzi did have 30 last year

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Us getting actual scoring was a possibility with 10m in space. We spent like 70 percent of that on a next year reclamation project and a 7th d.

Run what ya brung. I agree we should not do rentals. Yet that's exactly what we've done so far. Ghost isn't going to be re-signed, pool party being an rfa is a little different, not like we could have just gotten him if he walked from EDM.
I really dislike the way we basically threw our space at this. Whatver. Last night's game and the one vs Anaheim shows we STILL have scoring issues. Yet here we are.

I get it, I'm with you, I was excited about a Meier or someone else who can put the puck in the net.

But calling Ghost a 7D when he's got the same amount of points as the team's 5th leading scorer this year (Jarvis) is kinda boring too. I'm actually kinda excited about what he can do here. And if we're gonna talk about lessons learned from a small sample size... after last night you aren't excited about bumping De Haan to the press box?

Also - with minimal retention we can get Toffoli. That's my hope for the next 2 days. He's every bit the scorer we need, having an unreal year, has another year after this one... he's not the franchise-changer that Meier would've been but coming into next year with Pacioretty and Toffoli added to this current group? Make it happen Donnie.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I get it, I'm with you, I was excited about a Meier or someone else who can put the puck in the net.

But calling Ghost a 7D when he's got the same amount of points as the team's 5th leading scorer this year (Jarvis) is kinda boring too. I'm actually kinda excited about what he can do here. And if we're gonna talk about lessons learned from a small sample size... after last night you aren't excited about bumping De Haan to the press box?

Also - with minimal retention we can get Toffoli. That's my hope for the next 2 days. He's every bit the scorer we need, having an unreal year, has another year after this one... he's not the franchise-changer that Meier would've been but coming into next year with Pacioretty and Toffoli added to this current group? Make it happen Donnie.
I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'd be shocked.
My guess is we're done, or anything else that comes will be more depth

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022

Retained Toffoli is going to be extremely expensive. Calgary wants to compete and he has been their best player this year.

He may cost more than Meier. 1st + Morrow + conditional 1st + prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad