Trade Deadline Thread: Chaos Simmering

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Why because of points?

Anyone watching Calgary would tell you he’s been their best defenseman and it’s not even close. He’s an elite defenseman.
Forsling has been the number one defenceman on the best team in the east he single handily kept them afloat when Montor and Ekblad were injured. Andersson is better than Hanifin. Ask Calgary fans they will tell you it is not even close. Hanifin is so overrated on here.

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Why because of points?

Anyone watching Calgary would tell you he’s been their best defenseman and it’s not even close. He’s an elite defenseman.

You can easily say the same for Forsling - he's been Florida's best defenseman pretty comfortably. I think he's better than Hanifin in his own end and in the offensive zone, I think he's a legit #1.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Craig Conroy didn't even get the extended price good ****ing lord.

According to Seravalli, Hanifin basically screwed the Flames royally. They had as many as three deals nearly done and he refused to entertain a contract extension with any them. As Seravalli put it, "He doesn't have a NMC but acted like he did."

It pretty much sounds like Vegas and maybe Tampa were his picks and he was going to force it no matter what Calgary did. It really reminds me of Kesler, tbh. Except he actually had a NTC clause.

Reactions: Vector and wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Think the Avs are setup really nicely, with or without Landeskog.
Agree 100%
Stars don't got the game breakers the Avs got with Makar/Mack,
Sure they don't but they have probably the most balanced team in the west 3 lines that can really score and apply pressure, a solid back end and a great goalie.
Oilers D corps is not good enough,
It's not as bad as people think it was shaky goaltending that really hurt them last year and no other team has a 1-2 punch like the Oilers and they added Henrique
and with Vegas even though they won last year there's just something that seems off with them. I think the Avs with a legitimate 2nd line centre would've beat the Knights.
I agree on Vegas it's really hard to repeat.

And if you think Dallas doesn't have game breakers what about Vegas?

The sad thing is that it would be really hard for the Canucks to beat any of these teams in a 7 game series, Kings maybe as well.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
According to Seravalli, Hanifin basically screwed the Flames royally. They had as many as three deals nearly done and he refused to entertain a contract extension with them. As Seravalli put it, "He doesn't have a NMC but acted like he did."

So he flexed the fact he is a high end player and he knew it. He isn't the first and he won't be the last. That is a power of such players have regardless of clauses.

Reactions: quat

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The Forsling/Hanafin comparables are going to nuke Hronek's value thankfully.
giphy.gif

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
This would be the first time I think that's come into play, at least from what I've seen...I'm not sure it's a great negotiating tactic from teams to say "We're going to give you x because if you signed in another city you would only get x-y despite signing for z."
In Hanifin’s case, he was never going to play in Canada. So I’m not sure what other variables would’ve been involved here.

A player who signs in New York vs Florida will most certainly take tax into consideration. New York handing out an $8M contract is not nearly the same as Florida handing out an $8M contract. There’s whopping 27% or whatever it is difference in tax. That’s significant.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
According to Seravalli, Hanifin basically screwed the Flames royally. They had as many as three deals nearly done and he refused to entertain a contract extension with any them. As Seravalli put it, "He doesn't have a NMC but acted like he did."

It pretty much sounds like Vegas and maybe Tampa were his picks and he was going to force it no matter what Calgary did. It really reminds me of Kesler, tbh. Except he actually had a NTC clause.

It was completely within Hanifins right to do so as well.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

I don’t find this surprising at all.

He was going to get traded as pure rental.

Why they should have traded him in the summer.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Yeah he really did kind of pull a Kesler on the Flames. Its on Conroy allowing so much leverage but I dont think there was good value to be had in this situation. They should have been able to do better regardless

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Forgetting about Hintz/Robertson with Duchene on the 2nd line and Johnston/Stankoven on the 3rd line hey?

By gamebreakers I mean MacKinnon/Rantanen/Makar level players who dominate the game regardless of who is on the ice. Avs are 3-0-0 against the Stars this season, not a coincidence, and they got much better these past 2 days.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In Hanifin’s case, he was never going to play in Canada. So I’m not sure what other variables would’ve been involved here.

A player who signs in New York vs Florida will most certainly take tax into consideration. New York handing out an $8M contract is not nearly the same as Florida handing out an $8M contract. There’s whopping 27% or whatever it is difference in tax. That’s significant.
Do you really think that multi millionare salaried people pay their full share of taxes?

Ask any account the tax system is built for lower class and working class people to pay more taxes not people who make tons of money.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Do you really think that multi millionare salaried people pay their full share of taxes?

Ask any account the tax system is built for lower class and working class people to pay more taxes not people who make tons of money.
That’s an entire different discussion.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
So he flexed the fact he is a high end player and he knew it. He isn't the first and he won't be the last. That is a power of such players have regardless of clauses.

It was completely within Hanifins right to do so as well.

Oh, definitely.

He owed the Flames nothing, and they were foolish to keep letting him draw things out all season when it should have been obvious he didn't want to stay. Conroy has been a marked improvement over Treliving/Sutter but the Flames still have a bad habit of not being firm on a deadline.

Reactions: tantalum

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

It's not that big of difference. The largest tax burden is federal income tax and not state income tax. NFL receiver making $30 mil a year said he saved about $2.7 mil by not signing in New York and signing in Miami instead. So it's ~10% difference (likely less because there are soooooo many ways to shelter money in the states). Athletes also have to pay a good chunk of tax for away games as many US states have a Jock tax (only 5 don't). For NHL players that can be pretty big and it doesn't much matter where you live.

Edit: you also have to take into account the total tax burden. Tennessee also has a very low tax burden comparable to Florida yet it doesn't seem to be a favorable destination. Florida, Tampa and Vegas also wouldn't be a favorite destination if they didn't have good teams.

Last edited:

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Agree 100%

Sure they don't but they have probably the most balanced team in the west 3 lines that can really score and apply pressure, a solid back end and a great goalie.

It's not as bad as people think it was shaky goaltending that really hurt them last year and no other team has a 1-2 punch like the Oilers and they added Henrique

I agree on Vegas it's really hard to repeat.

And if you think Dallas doesn't have game breakers what about Vegas?

The sad thing is that it would be really hard for the Canucks to beat any of these teams in a 7 game series, Kings maybe as well.

I do agree they got a very well balanced team, but Colorado does as well now after acquiring Mittelstadt, he's such a huge get for them because they went from really having just a top line and 2 3rd lines to now a legit 2nd line especially with Nuke coming back. I like Colorado's forwards and defensive corps more than Dallas', but I will say the goaltending is very suspicious with Colorado and that's the one thing that can hold them back. Otherwise, they're loaded up almost like they were 2 years ago.

Regarding Edmonton's defense, it really comes down to what you think of Bouchard. I think he's massively overrated because of his point totals, and he still sucks in his own end. Ekholm is very nice, but then it drops off. Nurse has taken a pretty big step back.

I don't think Vegas has any legit gamebreakers either, but that really comes down to your opinion of Eichel.

I 100% agree with the Canucks having a tough time beating any of these teams in a best of 7, and there's no point of really forcing it/pushing our chips in now. Only 1 team is going to make it out of the West, and there's going to be a lot of disappointed teams. West is too good this year.

Reactions: quat and wetcoast

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hanafin wouldn't have signed here, so it's a moot point. He also handcuffed Calgary via his agent. They were telling every non-desired destination that there was zero chance of him re-signing.

Why do you think Hanifin is clearly better than Hronek? Just curious.

The Tanev interest and mis-deal is evidence they were willing to add D and push others down, including Zadarov. To go from that to not wanting any D at all would be odd.

And yes, some deals just don't work out (Lindholm), but that trade was smart to make at the time. I questioned it, and the value of Kuzmenko, but to get off of that salary while getting a top6 C, good trade regardless of him struggling to find purchase here.
I mean, if he was willing to sign in CGY, I would assume that there was a non-zero chance he’d sign here. I’m not saying I would have used my assets that way and I was content with trying to go for Tanev + Zadorov… more so just saying that I’d always liked the player and the rumoured contract.

I just think Hanifin is a clear top pair guy while I sometimes watch Hronek and see an inconsistent defensive motor.

Like I buy the whole “but would Hronek be able to handle his own pairing” questions. And that isn’t to say that I think he does need to be able to in order to justify paying him… but I think that should put a clear ceiling on what the player gets paid.

Reactions: Nucker101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad