Trade Deadline Thread: Chaos Simmering

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Seeing Duhaime go for a late 3rd two years from now to a western rival concerns me quite a bit. He would have been the perfect addition to Tocchet's system.
I don't get the Duhaime hype. Seems to me he is a run-of-the-mill 4th liner.

I would have tried to outbid COL for Trenin though. Higher upside in that player, and the price was still cheap.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
the leafs put a decent depth defencemen on waivers - maybe we put a claim instead of spending assets?

If someone else claims him before us, then who cares

@MS any scouting report?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Hardest part of being a Canucks fan right now is having patience.

We're a few years behind Edmonton in terms of rebuilding our team. Yes, we're having a great season but realistically we should be going all in 2-3 years from now. We still need 2-3 home grown players who contribute.

We are rushing the organic building process
That's why Willander and Lekk have to remain untouchable.

We need ELC contributors when the Ekman-Larsson buyout starts stinging more.

Reactions: Jovofan

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

We're a few years behind Edmonton in terms of rebuilding our team. Yes, we're having a great season but realistically we should be going all in 2-3 years from now. We still need 2-3 home grown players who contribute.

I am coming around to this viewpoint for sure.

Dallas, Vegas, Colorado, absolutely they should be loading the **** up and going for it, picks are next to meaningless to them as they have their entire cores locked up in their primes for a set period of time. Dallas especially can start getting generous with moving out picks as they have the absolute luxury of another wave of young players hitting the NHL roster like Harley, Stankoven, Bourque, Bischel to go along with the wave 3 years ahead of them in Robertson/Hintz/Heiskanen/Oettinger.

For the Canucks, we had to go "all in" on making this year a step forward and get Pettersson to sign an extension, mission accomplished. Now we can properly plan out the next few years by knowing that we have our franchise centre locked up. Unfortunately, we're still dealing with the boneheaded Benning movess in the 2020-2022 that have caused us buyout penalties and multiple picks out the doors just to dump money and facilitate improvement in this crucial year.

Do I think this is the year to move out one of our TWO prospects of note for a rental? Proooobably not.

Would I trade them for high end talent with some level of control, now that's a totally different calculus but that's not really what's on offer at the deadline. Like I would have moved Willander for an extended Hanafin all day, but he was never staying in Canada.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Avalanche literally just signed Hanzel to an ELC. They also went after both of the bottom-6 grinders I wanted.
I would really have tried to outbid COL on Trenin. Nice, heavy bottom-six piece. And there is a bit more upside in him.

Trenin has size but has low hockey IQ. not sure he helps Colorado much. this one Sakic didn't do as well.
I'd rather have Trenin than Duhaime. By a lot.

Reactions: Vector

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If we didn’t have the OEL buyout, I would agree with you: but since we do it’s now or never

But I don’t want to overpay lol!

It really depends on how much the cap goes up and/or how much we can sweet talk some of our UFAs into taking cheaper deals. Not to mention, if Lek or Willander make strides faster than anticipated, they basically cover the worse period of OEL's buyout entirely.

My ideal scenario this off season is we bring Tanev back on, hopefully, a cheap enough deal so he can mentor Willander in the future.

Reactions: Tact

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

The Canucks 'rebuilding' plan has been over for 3 years now...We're not at all in that cycle.

They will be looking to compete from right now, and next season as well.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Unless we are making an actual "hockey trade", do NOT go balls deep into this playoff...if you can get EP's linemate for the next handful of years, spend away...but barring that, tinker around the edges, make some modest trades and keep your ammunition dry and ready for next season.

Reactions: dez and ChilliBilly

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I would really have tried to outbid COL on Trenin. Nice, heavy bottom-six piece. And there is a bit more upside in him.

Only reason I can think of to not go after the smaller pieces now is they want to maximize what little capspace they have/can generate in a more impactful acquisition.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think the best thing to happen for the Canucks is if the whole team can get back to playing inspired hockey, like they were during the first half of the season...I think that would be better than getting another guy
You mean shooting like the 85 Oilers?

Because thats what was happening and it usually inspires any team.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
After digging into Trenin a little bit more (so beyond my gut reaction), I am...actually even more bummed that Allvin did not outbid the Avs on him. I think this is the one trade, out of all the others, I wish the Canucks were involved. The price was not too high at all.

Strong defensive value. Forechecking demon. And he can pot in a few goals. This is what every team wants in its bottom-six. And he plays the exact style that will endear him to Tocchet and fit with the Canucks' style. And he could somewhat replace Joshua's role immediately, while he is still out.

Reactions: God and Vector

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
yeah that hanifin contract is a steal and it is good for our comparables for hronek

honestly shocked he signed that, he could easily push 9m aav on the open market
Guessing that Vegas no state income tax brought it down at least a bit. Coupled with the stars on that team - seems like he wanted to go there

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
yeah that hanifin contract is a steal and it is good for our comparables for hronek

honestly shocked he signed that, he could easily push 9m aav on the open market

It looks like Hanafin basically manoeuvred his way to Vegas by leaking he wouldn't extend with anyone except like 2-3 teams. Based on that deal, it's obviously where he wanted to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad