GDT: Trade Deadline: Tampa won the Jeannot sweepstakes!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Just an idea: sell high on Pettersson and bring in Gavrikov?

I know it's pretty unrealistic but a man can dream...
I'd rather dump Dumo, keep Petts as Tanger's partner and put Gavrikov with Petry.

With how well Petts has played for us I kinda feel like moving him and adding another D would be a lateral move at best. Plus, how much could we really fetch for him right now at his "highest"?

A lot of this also depends on what we do with POJ.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
I'd rather dump Dumo, keep Petts as Tanger's partner and put Gavrikov with Petry.

With how well Petts has played for us I kinda feel like moving him and adding another D would be a lateral move at best. Plus, how much could we really fetch for him right now at his "highest"?

A lot of this also depends on what we do with POJ.
My reasons to trade Pettersson are that a) he hit his peak and I think he won’t sustain that level of play and b) his M-NTC kicks in next season. POJ is a keeper for me, same as Smith.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
My reasons to trade Pettersson are that a) he hit his peak and I think he won’t sustain that level of play and b) his M-NTC kicks in next season. POJ is a keeper for me, same as Smith.
If Petts fetches us pieces that help us land a big fish (Chychrun/Meier level) I could potentially get on board, it also sorts out 4 million in cap and potentially another 4 million if we dump Dumo.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Kane theoretically says Leafs, Bruins, Canes, Pens only. What’s the maximum you’re willing to give up for this fun trade, regardless if we need him.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Kane theoretically says Leafs, Bruins, Canes, Pens only. What’s the maximum you’re willing to give up for this fun trade, regardless if we need him.
The most I would offer is a mystery box.

uhf-nothing.gif

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wait, Petts has a no trade clause next year?
I didn't realize he did, either, but CapFriendly has the details:
CLAUSE DETAILS: Starting July 1, 2023: Player submits an 8 team no trade list.

That said, an 8 team no trade list isn't all that restrictive. That still leaves 23 teams he can be traded to without requiring him to waive.

So long as they didn't try to trade him to Arizona or a Canadian team, they would be fine :sarcasm:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I don’t think they trade Dumo. They see him as an integral part of this team and I would not be surprised if they sign him to a 2/3 year deal in the offseason.
If this happens we will know for sure that we’re now in the lottery phase of the Penguins and that there’s no way out until we’ve rebuilt through the draft.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t think they trade Dumo. They see him as an integral part of this team and I would not be surprised if they sign him to a 2/3 year deal in the offseason.
That would be the ultimate Sleepy signing.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
If Petts fetches us pieces that help us land a big fish (Chychrun/Meier level) I could potentially get on board, it also sorts out 4 million in cap and potentially another 4 million if we dump Dumo.
What is a realistic return for Pettersson? Let's say you can make a trade with Detroit:
Det: Pettersson 4AAV , Kapanen 3.2AAV
Pit: Bertuzzi 4.7AAV, 3rd round Pick

Detroit gets an LD to play with Hronek for the next 3 years and has its Top4 set. Pittsburgh gets rid of Kapanen and brings in Bertuzzi as a rental, which can be resigned as a Zucker replacement. Use the 2nd/3rd Pick for the the trade for Gavrikov.

With Dumo out of the books in summer you can resign Gavrikov to a 3y/12mio contract and have a D of:
POJ (825k) - Letang (6.1)
Gavrikov (4.0) - Petry (6.2)
Smith (900k) - Rutta (2.75)

You got younger, faster, tougher and saved some money.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
a 2nd and prospect is the max for Kane

and this is the problem with this franchise, way too conservative and we're gonna keep taking steps back

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If this happens we will know for sure that we’re now in the lottery phase of the Penguins and that there’s no way out until we’ve rebuilt through the draft.
Even worse, I would say it would be confirmation that we're in a new country club phase and that players will be rewarded/paid based on past accomplishments and not what they currently are. Which means we'll be stuck in purgatory of not being bad enough to get impactful players in the draft but not good enough to be competitive aka Flyersville.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why would Kane want to play in our boring ass system? Notice he actually picked two ”fun” teams with young talent lol…I think he would drive a line and could be our Kessel on L3 for the POs and I’d love to have him even if he’s a douche…but the only players we have to trade imo are McGinn, Kap, Blueger, anyone else on our fourth line, Carter if he’ll waive (please god) and Dumo…anything else would be crippling…also a second round pick…but we need to get rid of cap space to bring him in so I don’t think a second and prospect will work

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Basically the Rakell return - 2nd + decent prospect + cap dumps needed to make the money work.

The problem with Kane at the moment is that we have to shed $5.25mil to make it work. I'm not sending Zucker the other way which means it's likely Bleuger+Dumo unless they can somehow get Carter to waive.

2nd+Hallander+Bleuger+Dumo

I would be willing to switch Dumo with Kapanen if they send us back someone else but I have no idea who that would be.

I think the return on Kane is going to be bleak. Think Taylor Hall to Boston level of "meh".

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I’d trade Rust for Kane, if both sides agreed. Rust’s deal already looks brutal in year 1, and he’s only going to get worse in a jiffy.

Get a better player this year, then find a decent top 6 wing in free agency in the summer.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What is a realistic return for Pettersson? Let's say you can make a trade with Detroit:
Det: Pettersson 4AAV , Kapanen 3.2AAV
Pit: Bertuzzi 4.7AAV, 3rd round Pick

Detroit gets an LD to play with Hronek for the next 3 years and has its Top4 set. Pittsburgh gets rid of Kapanen and brings in Bertuzzi as a rental, which can be resigned as a Zucker replacement. Use the 2nd/3rd Pick for the the trade for Gavrikov.

With Dumo out of the books in summer you can resign Gavrikov to a 3y/12mio contract and have a D of:
POJ (825k) - Letang (6.1)
Gavrikov (4.0) - Petry (6.2)
Smith (900k) - Rutta (2.75)

You got younger, faster, tougher and saved some money.
Just so we're clear - you want to trade Pettersson because he's playing well ("peaked") and you don't think he can keep up that level of play but you want to bring in Gavrikov and give him the same $4mil and...hope he keeps up his level of current play?

Gavrikov is the kind of guy that fills a hole on your roster in FA. He's not the kind of guy you go out of your way to make a spot for. I think there's a little over/under rating going on here.
and this is the problem with this franchise, way too conservative and we're gonna keep taking steps back
Amen. Dumoulin needs to be shown the door. It's the polite thing to do because this team simply cannot afford what he will likely want to make and you don't want to insult him by lowballing him.

If he asks for a 1yr, $1-2mil deal then sure but he's likely going to get a 3-4yr $3.5-4mil deal from someone needing his services when they miss out on other dmen.

I'm still on the fence with Zucker. I'd like to know more about contract demands before I make a decision. Looking at who is available, I'm just not seeing a better value for us. Sure Bertuzzi would be great but he's likely looking for JVR money at $7-7.5mil. Is he $3mil better than Zucker? I question that....

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Just so we're clear - you want to trade Pettersson because he's playing well ("peaked") and you don't think he can keep up that level of play but you want to bring in Gavrikov and give him the same $4mil and...hope he keeps up his level of current play?

Gavrikov is the kind of guy that fills a hole on your roster in FA. He's not the kind of guy you go out of your way to make a spot for. I think there's a little over/under rating going on here.
The idea is to sell high on Petts because he has a similar skillset as POJ and Gavrikov brings a physical element the Pens are lacking in a big way.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The idea is to sell high on Petts because he has a similar skillset as POJ and Gavrikov brings a physical element the Pens are lacking in a big way.
We have Letang and Dumo who are physical. Petry and Rutta who are too. We aren't lacking physicality.

If anything, we are lacking high-offense dmen capable of putting up actual points. Gavrikov does not help that nor does his addition support that.

I'm not against Gavrikov. I do like him as a player. I'm just suggesting that going out of our way to trade Pettersson to bring him in is, at the end of the day, paying assets to needlessly rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad