Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Carcone is our third leading goal scorer so I would try to move him up, especially during this somewhat scoring drought and losing steak.
I agree with this. I didn't love Carcone's game, his shooting percentage was unsustainable.

But outside of the kids and Keller, he can't play any worse than Maccelli, Carcone, Zucker and Schmaltz right now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I’d like to find out. This feels like a watershed moment to me. Is this an organization that will embrace mediocrity by looking the other way, in order to placate Keller or will the management send a message, and demand more?

For the record, I’m not that upset about losing 7 games in a row. I’m happy about the draft position. It’s the way they’re losing. It’s Crouse and Schmaltz disappearing. It’s slow creep of listlessness seeping into a group that’s generally played with heart regardless of how bad the roster was.

Most of these players on the team won’t be on the team in two years. But the culture that’s established and informed by this trade deadline may have lasting impact.
Agreed. Before this streak most losses were still hard fought games. There have been some crap efforts recently.

Reactions: rt

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
When Hayton was hurt, would of offered 3 second rounds plus b prospect for Sean Monahan. Would of sent a huge message that we don't want a loser culture any more!

But if we trade Schmaltz for pretty 2 seconds (late 1 and 2) what does that tell the team.

Team quit on the players long before the players quit giving there all
I think if you trade schmaltz it has to be part of a package for a better player. Agree a couple of seconds ain’t going to cut it… Or maybe for a player with potential who needs a change of scenery.

I would love to get Frost. As someone mentioned. I will admit, I have seen very little of him , but from what I saw was very impressive

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I agree with this. I didn't love Carcone's game, his shooting percentage was unsustainable.

But outside of the kids and Keller, he can't play any worse than Maccelli, Carcone, Zucker and Schmaltz right now.
I'd say he can, has and is, but either way, I don't know where you'd place him. I think Bear probably has a good handle on this, maybe even better than us.

Keller has been way too inconsistent effort wise this year, maybe that'll get his ass in gear. If not he can go too. Build around BA type players.
I've noticed the same thing all season now. I believe his toi is up. Hard to put the kind of effort out that he showed last season with the added minutes.

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
When Hayton was hurt, would of offered 3 second rounds plus b prospect for Sean Monahan. Would of sent a huge message that we don't want a loser culture any more!

But if we trade Schmaltz for pretty 2 seconds (late 1 and 2) what does that tell the team.

I couldn’t disagree more.

Reactions: Jakey53

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
If we want to shake up the core...

Lawson Crouse for Owen Power - who adds and what's the add?

EDIT: Hell, let's get even more ambitious with this, add Schmaltz and Mittelstadt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaizen

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Few thoughts on Schmaltz.

1. Ideally he'd not be on the first line, but he's among the most talented on the team offensively and it's more important for guys like Cooley and Guenther to be sheltered so they can develop properly. He has some skills like zone entry and stripping pucks that are probably 1st line quality, but his defensive zone play and needing some one to take faceoffs brings him down overall to a lower line.

2. He definitely has synergy with Keller. Could he produce elsewhere in the line-up? He might be able to produce away from Keller if he was down in the line-up and we had a legitimate 1st line ahead of him.

3. Timing to move on. Is it smarter to hang onto him to protect the future wave's development or is the potential return better? How long does the window on getting that kind of return last? He has 2 full seasons after this for reference, and contenders often would go for a player like this one year from now if they want him to get 2 stabs at a playoff run. Moving him sooner would need to be a good return or return NHL player(s).

4. Injury concerns. He's missed only 3 games or so this season. There was talk they'd undertaken some steps to keep him healthy in the offseason. Perhaps this is still a work in progress, but that seems like a good showing so far. It's possible he's been healthy enough to play, but is still playing through something. If he keeps improving, can that help make him a more consistent contributor?

I still like him as a player and could see the team trying to roll a solid 3 lines once more prospects pan out. There could be a role for him, but there might be a market for him that Armstrong capitalizes on to make the team better. I'm pretty content with whichever direction they go with him and don't see there being a rush to trade him. Just wait for the right timing if it ever does appear.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Few thoughts on Schmaltz.

1. Ideally he'd not be on the first line, but he's among the most talented on the team offensively and it's more important for guys like Cooley and Guenther to be sheltered so they can develop properly. He has some skills like zone entry and stripping pucks that are probably 1st line quality, but his defensive zone play and needing some one to take faceoffs brings him down overall to a lower line.

2. He definitely has synergy with Keller. Could he produce elsewhere in the line-up? He might be able to produce away from Keller if he was down in the line-up and we had a legitimate 1st line ahead of him.

3. Timing to move on. Is it smarter to hang onto him to protect the future wave's development or is the potential return better? How long does the window on getting that kind of return last? He has 2 full seasons after this for reference, and contenders often would go for a player like this one year from now if they want him to get 2 stabs at a playoff run. Moving him sooner would need to be a good return or return NHL player(s).

4. Injury concerns. He's missed only 3 games or so this season. There was talk they'd undertaken some steps to keep him healthy in the offseason. Perhaps this is still a work in progress, but that seems like a good showing so far. It's possible he's been healthy enough to play, but is still playing through something. If he keeps improving, can that help make him a more consistent contributor?

I still like him as a player and could see the team trying to roll a solid 3 lines once more prospects pan out. There could be a role for him, but there might be a market for him that Armstrong capitalizes on to make the team better. I'm pretty content with whichever direction they go with him and don't see there being a rush to trade him. Just wait for the right timing if it ever does appear.
I agree. I thought Schmaltz was going to get moved because of salary and where we are at with the rebuild, but his salary doesn't seem to bother the organization. I just want more talent so they can move Schmaltz and Hayton down the line up where they belong.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think Keller is smart enough to see what's going on. He sees the young guys around him, who's in the pipeline., and understands what BA is trying to accomplish. I'm not a Schmaltz hater, but he's not the key to future playoff runs.
But how many years is this team away from being a playoff team? 1 more? 2? 3?

Why would Keller want to stick around.

Reactions: cobra427

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Why would Keller want to stick around.

He's only 25 and potentially has not yet peaked, and seeing that the team is up and coming with more talent in the pipeline will likely increase his productivity.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
32T was spitballin the idea of Kempe for Saros. Made me think of how we could be the X factor to make that work. Not sure how to round out value or cap yet

But LA ending up with Schmaltz and Saros instead of Kempe and Copley

NASH gets Kempe and Vejmelka (and Askarov up) instead of Saros, Lankinen, and say Lauzon

We get Copley and Lankinen (one to help Tucson), Lauzon and a nice haul of draft picks. Probably retain on Veggie so that NASH can retain on Saros so that LAK can make this fit.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I agree. I thought Schmaltz was going to get moved because of salary and where we are at with the rebuild, but his salary doesn't seem to bother the organization. I just want more talent so they can move Schmaltz and Hayton down the line up where they belong.
Here you go again. What is your obsession with salary? You are not paying any of these guys Jakey.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
the problem with the teams F makeup is every line the C is lowest scorer - you always hear you build down the middle out, yotes are opposite
we have high hopes for cooley and geekie but they are still only 19. Mcbain is solid 3/4C, hayton is 2/3C bjug is 3C
top 6C take awhile to develop, we have the draft capital, for next year I'd be fine overpaying for a 30+ under contract for 2 years top 6C while cooley and geekie hopefully develop - this team has the W talent and depth. top 6C UFAs are going to want long term deals, and I dont wat to give deals to guys into mid 30s
dickenson - 17g 27p +7 (on awful team) and would be our best FO guy - I know he is not going to make cup winners but image he has actual Ws (currently johnson/anderson 12G total) or Oreilly or henrique or backlund
not saying backend isnt an issue but in this 8 g skid scored 17G (BTW WINN in last 8g 19GA),

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If we took Kapanen and Scandella as dumps from St Louis, would they give us a 1st for Schmaltz? They could use the offensive pop for their push and he’s a good midwestern boy. They had three 1sts last draft and have two 2nds and two 3rds this draft. He fits their core age range and has a little term left on his deal. Kapanen and Scandella re way over priced and aren’t much good anymore but both are on expiring contracts. They’ll help us keep Tucson stocked by giving us less need for callups as we sell off Zucker and Dumba, too.

If Monahan can get a 1st, do we have a hope?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
If we took Kapanen and Scandella as dumps from St Louis, would they give us a 1st for Schmaltz? They could use the offensive pop for their push and he’s a good midwestern boy. They had three 1sts last draft and have two 2nds and two 3rds this draft. He fits their core age range and has a little term left on his deal. Kapanen and Scandella re way over priced and aren’t much good anymore but both are on expiring contracts. They’ll help us keep Tucson stocked by giving us less need for callups as we sell off Zucker and Dumba, too.

Probably….not out of the realm of possibility by any means.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Monahan is a C, and great in the dot. Schmaltz's contract isn't very attractive as well. Schmaltz might be easier to trade after the season if we don't want to retain.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020

“Team quit on the players long before the players quit giving there all”

this might be true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad