Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Beware: this post is blunt.

Would like to move:

Schmaltz - Production is awful for a 1st line/1st PP forward. Also soft and lacks intangibles.
Valimaki - Easy to play against defenseman that makes an occasional blunder. Isn't offensive enough to overlook. We need to move on from these type of defensemen.
Carcone - Doesn't manifest any of the bite he had in the minors. Will never receive the opportune top six/PP minutes with Guenther/Cooley/Maccelli/Keller/Schmaltz/Hayton around. Hopefully someone bites on his goal total.

Dermott has no value. Surprised he is still on the team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Would like to move:

Schmaltz - Production is awful for a 1st line/1st PP forward. Also soft and lacks intangibles.
Valimaki - Easy to play against defenseman that makes an occasional blunder. Isn't offensive enough to overlook. We need to move on from these type of defensemen.
Carcone - Doesn't manifest any of the bite he had in the minors. Will never receive the opportune top six/PP minutes with Guenther/Cooley/Maccelli/Keller/Schmaltz/Hayton around. Hopefully someone bites on his goal total.

I think Valimaki and Kesselring can be third pairing, but if we can find someone better that is fine as well. As it stands today we don't have one D signed for next year, but Moser and Durzi will be just a formality. Who knows what happens from there. Schmaltz and Keller would be much better if they had a true 1C, but I could see us move on from Schmaltz. The problem is we may have to retain in a trade and BA might think it's more wise to keep him. His cap hit is fine, it's his salary.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't see us pursuing Berggren unless if it's meant for Tucson.

A top RHD in the draft and a future home would do wonders for the organization. As well as getting Artyom Duda signed.

Don't really see us being involved with any trades other than maybe AHLers.
I think BA might surprise you.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How can you say that when But hasn't played in the NHL yet? Sooner or later you have to pay your good players, as we did with Keller.

I don't think Bear has utilized Carcone the way he should be the last little bit.
i've watched most of his games at the KHL level and when you see a 6'7" behemoth dominate physically while creating offense in a top league you get excited. He has the potential to be very very special. That's me though. Tell me what you think of him as a player. KHL app is about $40 to see every game. Canadian.

Chychrun is a UFA in a year and is injury prone and I know if i was a Sens fan I would be hesitant to pay him $8x$8M which is about what I suspect his ask will be especially if he is paying Cdn taxes. He hasn't been there a year and they are reportedly listening on offers as they don't view him as a core piece. For the price they paid? He should be a core piece.

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Would like to move:

Agree on Schmaltz, Carcone and Dermott.

I think Valimaki and Kesselring can be third pairing, but if we can find someone better that is fine as well. As it stands today we don't have one D signed for next year, but Moser and Durzi will be just a formality. Who knows what happens from there. Schmaltz and Keller would be much better if they had a true 1C, but I could see us move on from Schmaltz. The problem is we may have to retain in a trade and BA might think it's more wise to keep him. His cap hit is fine, it's his salary.
Yeah, I think Moser-Durzi is an okay 2nd pairing. And that Valimaki/Kesselring/Stecher is an okay 5-7th. What we are really missing is the 1D and the 2D. And they just makes everyone else look worse. It’s a domino effect.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I think BA might surprise you.
I hope so. I’m hoping this long streak of listless, leaderless, uninspired play motivates BA to shake up the core. I’d like to see Zucker and Dumba moved to send a message but I don’t think that’s enough. I think the move that gets the core to wake up and feel feelings again is Schmaltz.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I hope so. I’m hoping this long streak of listless, leaderless, uninspired play motivates BA to shake up the core. I’d like to see Zucker and Dumba moved to send a message but I don’t think that’s enough. I think the move that gets the core to wake up and feel feelings again is Schmaltz.
I wonder how Keller will react to that.. if Schmaltz moves.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I wonder how Keller will react to that.. if Schmaltz moves.
I’d like to find out. This feels like a watershed moment to me. Is this an organization that will embrace mediocrity by looking the other way, in order to placate Keller or will the management send a message, and demand more?

For the record, I’m not that upset about losing 7 games in a row. I’m happy about the draft position. It’s the way they’re losing. It’s Crouse and Schmaltz disappearing. It’s slow creep of listlessness seeping into a group that’s generally played with heart regardless of how bad the roster was.

Most of these players on the team won’t be on the team in two years. But the culture that’s established and informed by this trade deadline may have lasting impact.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Agree on Schmaltz, Carcone and Dermott.

Yeah, I think Moser-Durzi is an okay 2nd pairing. And that Valimaki/Kesselring/Stecher is an okay 5-7th. What we are really missing is the 1D and the 2D. And they just makes everyone else look worse. It’s a domino effect.
I think we could get by with another "2nd pairing". Replacing the Dermott Dumba pairing.

Reactions: Jakey53 and lanky

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Stecher, Moser, Durzi and Kesselring are in the +s this season. Our other D are in the -s this season.

I take this to mean that the +s are fulfilling their role well. The others are not.

Dermott - Dumba is obviously the problem.

Reactions: rt

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I think Keller is smart enough to see what's going on. He sees the young guys around him, who's in the pipeline., and understands what BA is trying to accomplish. I'm not a Schmaltz hater, but he's not the key to future playoff runs.

I agree. Like I said in a conversation with @Jakey53 the other day, the core that we have now is probably not the core BA sees a few years down the road.

Edit: Pretty sure Schmaltz isn't part of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rt and MIGs Dog

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Most of these players on the team won’t be on the team in two years. But the culture that’s established and informed by this trade deadline may have lasting impact.
If we keep trading away our "core" we will become the next Buffalo. You want to build a winning culture back and support the team we have now, not the one that may come.
Management should prove to them that they are not being wasted in the desert. Weeks ago we should of been in the trade market.
When Hayton went down we should of traded for a center. Instead management said ahh we can write off another year. Frick Craig should call AM up and ask what's your version of meaningful games. We DO not need more picks or contracts. We need to fricken support the players who have sacrifice so much for us all ready.

Maybe they have quit on the team to get traded else where.

Also not mad at RT just feel so bad for the our players who have given so much and constantly get pooped on.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
When Hayton was hurt, would of offered 3 second rounds plus b prospect for Sean Monahan. Would of sent a huge message that we don't want a loser culture any more!

But if we trade Schmaltz for pretty 2 seconds (late 1 and 2) what does that tell the team.

Team quit on the players long before the players quit giving there all

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
When Hayton was hurt, would of offered 3 second rounds plus b prospect for Sean Monahan. Would of sent a huge message that we don't want a loser culture any more!

But if we trade Schmaltz for pretty 2 seconds (late 1 and 2) what does that tell the team.
That they’re not good enough and they’re still building to be good in the next couple years.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Please refresh my memory, why is it you’re always so concerned about salary, yet still have so much confidence these guys can get the arena deal done?

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
If we keep trading away our "core" we will become the next Buffalo.

"Keep trading" isn't really accurate. He's barely touched it, and not really at all since he started the rebuild. He's gonna put his stamp on it hard whenever the time is right though.

Edit: IMO, ending a rebuild with the same core you started with, 5 years later, isn't a rebuild. It's the longet roster re-tooling ever.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Team quit on the players long before the players quit giving there all
Who said we are going to trade Schmaltz for 2 seconds?

Please refresh my memory, why is it you’re always so concerned about salary, yet still have so much confidence these guys can get the arena deal done?
One has nothing to do with the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad