Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Seems like a lot of potential future core pieces could be NHL ready for the season after next. I think the 2025-26 season is when it all starts to come together in a more tangible way.

Edit: Clayton Keller would be 26 or 27yo (I think?) We need some older, more experienced veterans anyways. I'd love Keller to be one of them.
Depends on your idea of ready.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
And when does it end?

Edit: I should ask, when does a winning core get established.
It ends when the young players they've acquired start making something of themselves. I think what we hope is that Keller continues to be Keller and in a couple more years Cooley and Guenther are knocking on the door to stardom and pushing Keller for best player on the team. At that point Simashev and But should be in their 2nd season in the NHL and showing the same flashes Cooley and Guenther are showing now. Geekie, Doan, and Lamoreaux in there as well. At that point hopefully the other high picks they will draft this summer are knocking on the NHL too. The year after that, the picks from 2025. That's basically what a pipeline is, it's a stready flow of talent and you have to have it because you never know which picks are going to succeed and which ones are going to disappoint.

As BA states you have to stack good player on top of good player and you do that continuosly until the players elevate the team to playoffs and hopefully contender. Until that happens, you keep plugging along. It's going to take a long time because they had almost zero pipline thanks to Barroway/Chayka. It's one thing to inherit a bad team, it's quite another to inherit bad team that has empty cupboards. It's frustrating but no one should be surprised where the team is at right now. It's going to take time, I'd say at a minimum 2 more years before they're a legit bubble team and even that depends heavily on Cooley and Guenther being the real deal.

My realistic prediction (IF and ONLY IF they stay the current course):
26-27 - bubble team
28-29 - squeek into playoffs
29-30 - expected to do some damage in playoffs but is not a contender
30-31 - darkhorse pick for contender
31-32 - contender

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
G
It ends when the young players they've acquired start making something of themselves. I think what we hope is that Keller continues to be Keller and in a couple more years Cooley and Guenther are knocking on the door to stardom and pushing Keller for best player on the team. At that point Simashev and But should be in their 2nd season in the NHL and showing the same flashes Cooley and Guenther are showing now. Geekie and Lamoreaux in there as well. At that point hopefully the other high picks they will draft this summer are knocking on the NHL too. The year after that, the picks from 2025. That's basically what a pipeline is, it's a stready flow of talent and you have to have it because you never know which picks are going to succeed and which ones are going to disappoint.

As BA states you have to stack good player on top of good player and you do that continuosly until the players elevate the team to playoffs and hopefully contender. Until that happens, you keep plugging along. It's going to take a long time because they had almost zero pipline thanks to Barroway/Chayka. It's one thing to inherit a bad team, it's quite another to inherit bad team that has empty cupboards. It's frustrating but no one should be surprised where the team is at right now. It's going to take time, I'd say at a minimum 2 more years before they're a legit bubble team and even that depends heavily on Cooler and Guenther being the real deal.

My realistic prediction (IF and ONLY IF they stay the current course):
26-27 - bubble team
28-29 - squeek into playoffs
29-30 - expected to do some damage in playoffs but is not a contender
30-31 - darkhorse pick for contender
31-32 - contender
Glad you’re optimistic about that.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Glad you’re optimistic about that.
Eh it just is what is is man, optimistic has got nothing to do with it. Sure I'm very bullish on their long term future but like I said, there is still plenty of pain to be had and them sucking right now shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. They're done losing on purpose but this team doesn't elevate until the players they drafted actually elevate it and right now there are not enough of those players. The pipeline is starting to flow though, Cooley and Guenther are examples of that. Maybe next year Geekie and Doan. Year after that Simashev, But and Lamoreaux. Year after that <1st rounders 2024>. Year after that <1st rounders 2025>. Hopefully some of the 2nd and beyond picks pan out along the way too.

The pipeline must flow.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Eh it just is what is is man, optimistic has got nothing to do with it. Sure I'm very bullish on their long term future but like I said, there is still plenty of pain to be had and them sucking right now shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. They're done losing on purpose but this team doesn't elevate until the players they drafted actually elevate it and right now there are not enough of those players. The pipeline is starting to flow though, Cooley and Guenther are examples of that. Maybe next year Geekie and Doan. Year after that Simashev, But and Lamoreaux. Year after that <1st rounders 2024>. Year after that <1st rounders 2025>. Hopefully some of the 2nd and beyond picks pan out along the way too.

The pipeline must flow.
Glad you have faith in the those players.

Reactions: Jakey53

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Craig Morgan sucks as a coyotes insider. On a day to show up he was nowhere to be seen. Schmaltz brother broke the Dumba trade before him and he’s supposed to be our guy? This organization blows

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
Ownership has one singular shot. One chance to convince me that he isn’t a complete f***ing fraud. We didn’t get shit this deadline because of the auction. Win the f***ing auction you piece of shit.

Reactions: howlin austrian

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Who's left that a team would want in the off-season that AZ would be willing to deal? Schmaltz?
The expectation is that we use some the surplus of picks to get players. More moves like the Durzi trade.

The avs traded a 2nd for Devon Toews years back. Need trades like that this summer. And no team has ammo for those kinda trades like the coyotes do.

Of course doing all of this would require competence and not being cursed, so we’ll see.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
EDM sportswriter talking about the Stecher deal, was claiming that AZ was tight on our retention slots for possible trades at the draft. No new retention slots burned yet. Retention flexibility and money savings must have been a priority for GMBA.

Makes sense to maintain the retention spots if the returns now are so poor, being a buyer's market, however those spots would be available again for use at the draft because Zucker, Dumba, and Stecher deals all will have expired.

Could be that they had a bigger deal that needed that has fallen through. Could also be that the Coyotes were in on being the third team retaining for someone else to get something.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The expectation is that we use some the surplus of picks to get players. More moves like the Durzi trade.

The avs traded a 2nd for Devon Toews years back. Need trades like that this summer. And no team has ammo for those kinda trades like the coyotes do.

Of course doing all of this would require competence and not being cursed, so we’ll see.
It also requires giving up better picks, leaving the pipeline with lessor opportunity for talent. Meanwhile, we're still not competitive with a team full of Durzi's.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Insignificant trades of underpeforming insignificant players for insignificant returns in what has become another in a long line of insignificant seasons.

Only one things makes any difference right now and it isn't happening on the ice or in a hockey ops meetings.
True. As disappointing as all the trade returns were they really don’t matter right now. The games especially don’t matter, nor does the draft honestly at this point. As we get closer to March 14th and what follows I feel increasingly distanced from the on-ice situation, because none of it matters if that doesn’t work out

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Everyone a loser baby that's the truth, that's no lie.. Song that's playing in my head by Bootsause Yotes version. Good thing we got those 6 and 7 draft picks we were needing.

No support for the team this year! Please show up, get paid but don't win. We want to lose for a chance at a top pick. That's 100 percent want ownership and leadership is saying. Now this is a justified rant!

We need to change the draft. Bottom 10 teams all have 10 percent chance for 1st over all and draw all bottom 10 spots.

Help keep the game honest.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Everyone a loser baby that's the truth, that's no lie.. Song that's playing in my head by Bootsause Yotes version. Good thing we got those 6 and 7 draft picks we were needing.

No support for the team this year! Please show up, get paid but don't win. We want to lose for a chance at a top pick. That's 100 percent want ownership and leadership is saying. Now this is a justified rant!

We need to change the draft. Bottom 10 teams all have 10 percent chance for 1st over all and draw all bottom 10 spots.

Help keep the game honest.
PWHL Gold model that Doan used to advocate for is the way to do the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad