Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We can't we trade a good player and get back a good player? We have winger strength but weak at C and D. The last thing I want though is trading a good player for picks only. We have to start making hockey trades, good hockey trades.
I know you're aware of what happens at the trade deadline and why.

We can trade picks for players at the draft, when the value of picks is at the highest.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've come to believe in Bill's strategy to keep stacking good players on top of other good players.

I'd like to keep Schmaltz because maybe Guenther can replace him already, but then who replaces Guenther? We already have both and we're not good enough. We need Doan and But and Matikka in kachina before we can let Schmaltz go without suffering.

Sure we can give his cap and/or dollars to a UFA but that rarely works out well.
ANY player on this team should be available in a trade. We are on pace for 73pts. Last year we had 70. That is not good enough. Changes have to be made. What they are is anyone's guess, but the last thing I want to see is one of our better players traded for picks only.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
It’ll be interesting to see who’s scratched tonight. Names I’ve heard outside the obvious FA’s are Schmaltz, Vejmelka, Soderstrom. Again, nothing could happen, but the source is usually good.

I think if Vej is dealt another goalie needs to come back and I don’t think we’re willing to retain on schmaltz.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It’ll be interesting to see who’s scratched tonight. Names I’ve heard outside the obvious FA’s are Schmaltz, Vejmelka, Soderstrom. Again, nothing could happen, but the source is usually good.

I think if Vej is dealt another goalie needs to come back and I don’t think we’re willing to retain on schmaltz.
Tucson doesn't play until Saturday and the Yotes play tonight. Things might get interesting.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I think Colorado and Los Angeles both make sense for Vejmelka, and both have a goalie they can send back -- Ivan Prosvetov and David Rittich.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Heart doesn't me you have have grit or play prison house rules. I would rather see constant effective stick checks with offense than dropping to block a shot.

Want to change the culture how about getting rid of players that do stupid plays. Yes Schmaltz plays a perimeter game but has offence, can be entertaining and makes smart plays. Usually lol

Both Keller and Schmaltz are -22. If we are calling out one maybe we should be calling out both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edenjung

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I think Colorado and Los Angeles both make sense for Vejmelka, and both have a goalie they can send back -- Ivan Prosvetov and David Rittich.
Vejmelka and 3rd round pick for David Rittich, Lizotte and Kaliev
P.S. UFA Lizotte is included to match salary.

Reactions: Mosby

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
If Söderstöm goes, we need to get better dman back. I wouldn't want to trade him when hasn't even had a real opportunity to play in NHL

At 23 years old and with 51 NHL games, he's had time to show his ability. I don't think he's part of BA's plans unless his game dramatically changes.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Schmaltz specifically. Why? Because he’s lazy and soft. He’s a trash time hero. He’s never there when we need him. He never goes inside. He plays a sleepy, gutless, listless game with no fire at all.
This is a little harsh. Schmaltz is a good defensive forward, can play some C if needed. He is likely one of our 5 best players, we need more players at or above his level not less. Trading Schmaltz for picks kicks the can further down the road. We need to start thinking about trading some of our gazillion picks for NHL players. On the second line, he will get better opportunities, on the first line we have no 1C. Last year Hayton was better, Schmaltz/Keller/Hayton was clicking. Schmaltz is still on a 55 point pace on this crappy team. Keller's production is down too from last year.

This is what happens when you wait too long to tear down a business and start a rebuild. Getting rid of Schmaltz doesn't solve any problems or make the team better.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We can't we trade a good player and get back a good player? We have winger strength but weak at C and D. The last thing I want though is trading a good player for picks only. We have to start making hockey trades, good hockey trades.
Wingers are a dime a dozen in the NHL, it's the easiest position to play and the easiest position to replace. We are built from the wings out right now:)

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
This is a little harsh. Schmaltz is a good defensive forward,
Only in the neutral zone. He’s terrible in his own zone.
can play some C if needed.
Only after the faceoff and only in one zone.
He is likely one of our 5 best players,
Not saying much.
we need more players at or above his level not less. Trading Schmaltz for picks kicks the can further down the road.
Not if we trade those picks for players that help. A la McBain and Durzi.
We need to start thinking about trading some of our gazillion picks for NHL players.
Agreed. More picks we have more players we can add.
On the second line, he will get better opportunities, on the first line we have no 1C.
By the time we’re ready to put him into that position he’ll be a 28 year old UFA.
Last year Hayton was better, Schmaltz/Keller/Hayton was clicking. Schmaltz is still on a 55 point pace on this crappy team.
Getting 55pts is impressive. I don’t know if there’s a worse player in the NHL that you can pencil in for 50+ pts regularly.
Keller's production is down too from last year.
He needs a wake up call. Time to take away his security blanket.
This is what happens when you wait too long to tear down a business and start a rebuild. Getting rid of Schmaltz doesn't solve any problems or make the team better.
Solves a huge problem. Gets a lazy floater who’s 2x overpaid in cash the final two years off the team. That cash can be reinvested in players who play the game the right way and move the culture of the team forward rather than backward.

Can’t solve every problem all at once. You eat the elephant one bite at a time. And there’s a flabby bit of Schmaltz hanging out there that’s easy to cut off to start with.

Wingers are a dime a dozen in the NHL, it's the easiest position to play and the easiest position to replace. We are built from the wings out right now:)
Schmaltz is a winger and our highest paid player in cash the next two years.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Only in the neutral zone. He’s terrible in his own zone.

Only after the faceoff and only in one zone.

Not saying much.

Not if we trade those picks for players that help. A la McBain and Durzi.

Agreed. More picks we have more players we can add.

By the time we’re ready to put him into that position he’ll be a 28 year old UFA.

Getting 55pts is impressive. I don’t know if there’s a worse player in the NHL that you can pencil in for 50+ pts regularly.

He needs a wake up call. Time to take away his security blanket.

Solves a huge problem. Gets a lazy floater who’s 2x overpaid in cash the final two years off the team. That cash can be reinvested in players who play the game the right way and move the culture of the team forward rather than backward.

Can’t solve every problem all at once. You eat the elephant one bite at a time. And there’s a flabby bit of Schmaltz hanging out there that’s easy to cut off to start with.

Schmaltz is a winger and our highest paid player in cash the next two years.
I think your view of Schmaltz as a player is off because of his salary. I agree he is likely over paid in his last 2 years but likely under paid before that. He is a much better player then you are giving him credit for, especially on D. Getting a late first or seconds for Schmaltz won't make this team better now or likely in the summer. I think we get better value and a useful NHL player this summer if we trade Schmaltz then versus now.

I am not against trading him, I just don't think he is the problem or later draft picks provide a solution. We now need more NHL level players, not less or picks.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think your view of Schmaltz as a player is off because of his salary. I agree he is likely over paid in his last 2 years but likely under paid before that. He is a much better player then you are giving him credit for, especially on D. Getting a late first or seconds for Schmaltz won't make this team better now or likely in the summer. I think we get better value and a useful NHL player this summer if we trade Schmaltz then versus now.

I am not against trading him, I just don't think he is the problem or later draft picks provide a solution. We now need more NHL level players, not less or picks.
You use the picks you acquire to bring in NHL players…players that are the age and culture fit you want to come in and be a part of your core when the team will be much more competitive. There is absolutely zero reason to hang on to Schmaltz at this point.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I think your view of Schmaltz as a player is off because of his salary. I agree he is likely over paid in his last 2 years but likely under paid before that.
I don’t care if he was underpaid two years ago. I care about how we can reallocate all those dollars the next two years. There are better ways to spend it.
He is a much better player than you are giving him credit for, especially on D.
He’s good at stealing pucks in the neutral zone. He’s horrendous at in-zone defense.
Getting a late first or seconds for Schmaltz won't make this team better now or likely in the summer.
What about Durzi and McBain?
I think we get better value and a useful NHL player this summer if we trade Schmaltz then versus now.
Disagree. Players are worth most and picks least at the deadline and picks are worth most and players least at the draft. Get the cheap picks now and trade them for the cheap players at the deadline. It’s how it’s done right.
Two steps. Stop thinking this is checkers.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
[...]

Two steps. Stop thinking this is checkers.
This isn't 3 dimensional chess either. I'm not a great fan of Schmaltz, but he isn't the problem, either on ice or by appearance off the ice. Trading away the guy isn't going to be addition by subtraction. That's the first thing. The second thing is that at this point in the rebuild we need to increase the on ice talent at least as much, if not more than the developmental talent pool. If you can put better on ice for Schmaltz, I'm all for it. If it is a trade for picks, barring a bank heist of picks, no way.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
This isn't 3 dimensional chess either. I'm not a great fan of Schmaltz, but he isn't the problem, either on ice or by appearance off the ice. Trading away the guy isn't going to be addition by subtraction. That's the first thing. The second thing is that at this point in the rebuild we need to increase the on ice talent at least as much, if not more than the developmental talent pool. If you can put better on ice for Schmaltz, I'm all for it. If it is a trade for picks, barring a bank heist of picks, no way.
You may not be able to put better talent on the ice than Schmaltz immediately, but you most certainly can by the start of the year when you have picks to trade at the draft for good players, and freed up money to sign free agents.

Reactions: DustyDangler

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Schmaltz, but he isn't the problem, …on ice...
He’s definitely one problem.
Trading away the guy isn't going to be addition by subtraction.
Yes it is.
That's the first thing. The second thing is that at this point in the rebuild we need to increase the on ice talent at least as much, if not more than the developmental talent pool. If you can put better on ice for Schmaltz, I'm all for it. If it is a trade for picks, barring a bank heist of picks, no way.
Two steps. Picks then players. Like Durzi and McBain.

You may not be able to put better talent on the ice than Schmaltz immediately, but you most certainly can by the start of the year when you have picks to trade at the draft for good players, and freed up money to sign free agents.
Agree with the sentiment. But will say I’m not talking about talent. I’m taking about effectiveness and culture. The talent is the youth. Schmaltz is not young. We are suffering from a lack of leadership.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Agree with the sentiment. But will say I’m not talking about talent. I’m taking about effectiveness and culture. The talent is the youth. Schmaltz is not young. We are suffering from a lack of leadership.
Yes, that too. I would take a Schmaltz replacement that is less talented but more fearless, mean, vocal, and consistent in their effort and visibility on the ice. We also need someone in there who is the undisputed vocal leader. I could be wrong but I don’t think they’re on the team yet. That group desperately needs a Tkachuk or a Marchand type of player. All star play and all star mouth…

• Love
Reactions: rt and DustyDangler

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Is Morgan dropping any hints on Discord?
Nope. I think he’s fully in the dark. Reported some over bloated asking prices. Think BA fed him some lines.

Yes, that too. I would take a Schmaltz replacement that is less talented but more fearless, mean, vocal, and consistent in their effort and visibility on the ice. We also need someone in there who is the undisputed vocal leader. I could be wrong but I don’t think they’re on the team yet. That group desperately needs a Tkachuk or a Marchand type of player. All star play and all star mouth…
In the interim, I’m okay with Schmaltz for Lizotte, Dvorak and a pick. A ceaselessly high motor vet, a big punishing young blueliner and a pick to package later.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
i would keep Schmaltz for now.
Because who would trade for him at this point?

And maybe this is a down year for him and he will bounce back after the offseason. And if not we can trade him then, maybe its even easier to trade him then.
But we should all keep in mind that he has been producing the last two years and was good on the defense. Almost a point per game and positive +/-. Only this year he has slumped down.
If he bounces back everything should be fine.

And overall he isn't the biggest problem this team has. That is the blue line.
We need a good d-man. Somebody who can lead the blueline, teach and take over responsibilities.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
i would keep Schmaltz for now.
Because who would trade for him at this point?
Picks. To gain liquid assets and massive amounts of budget space.
And maybe this is a down year for him and he will bounce back after the offseason.
He’s always been this. WYSIWYG. He looks the same as always.
But we should all keep in mind that he has been producing the last two years and was good on the defense.
He’s a liability in his own zone. Terrified of contact and totally lost. He is very good defensively in the neutral zone. I’ll give you that. Overall, he’s an elite neutral zone player. Haha. Really.
Almost a point per game and positive +/-. Only this year he

And overall he isn't the biggest problem this team has. That is the blue line.
We need a good d-man. Somebody who can lead the blueline, teach and take over responsibilities.
Know how we’re gonna get that guy? Flipping liquid assets and having the budget to fit him in. Now guess how we can get those things….

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It appears Schmaltz’s D is seriously underrated here. He’s a passive defender and as such the reliance on his mates is higher. You can’t put negative +/- solely on him. He’s one of our most intelligent players, he’s smooth and that can lead to the appearance of not working hard, but the reality is he does. Any trade for him had best get an incredible return, as his ilk doesn’t grow on trees.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Not me. I want a Schmaltz replacement to be highly skilled plus that other stuff. I'm not sure how you get that with a pile of 2nds and 3rds, but that's what I would want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad