Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
why are so many on here wanting to trade schmaltz, bjug or kerfoot, veg or any under contract guy. we dont need more pics or prospects (unless from UFA rental), the team is already the youngest team (when the 3 dead contracts taken out). it is so crazy to see calls to trade 'kerfoot if can get a 2nd'. the team needs some veteran players, i just dont get the always wanting more picks. a freaking 1st in 2026 is 15yo now he wont help out till the end of the decade at best. the dump schmaltz post why? who is going to replace him, yeah he is not a superstar but 50-60 pt guys arent a dime a dozen so trade and do what? I think the UFA route shows how iffy that is.
I get everyone wants the rebuild to move faster but this trade everyone when their value is high or they are over 28 will never ever get the team to the next level.
Schmaltz specifically. Why? Because he’s lazy and soft. He’s a trash time hero. He’s never there when we need him. He never goes inside. He plays a sleepy, gutless, listless game with no fire at all.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I don’t want to trade Bjugstad. I want him here so Geekie can start at forward for at least a couple of months.
I want to keep Bjugstad and Kerfoot also. They aren’t part of the problem. Schmaltz is part of the problem. You can see the effort level on the ice. Bjugstad and Kerfoot have it.

I’ve watched almost every game Schmaltz has played for this team and I’m so sick of him. He has a ton of skill. And he’s capable of being very productive. And I honestly just don’t care at all. It’s very difficult to be a more useless 55pt player. As far as 50-60 players go, it’s hard to find a worse one.

yeah, I don't want to trade Schmaltz...I'm just saying if we do trade him, it better be for a good package, because we need more 'good' players, not getting rid of them
I’ll take a 2nd rounder, thanks. Then I’ll add that to one of our other 2nds and get a decent defenseman who actually plays the game the right way. Ferraro, Lindgren, Ferraro, etc etc.

You can get a soft ass dipsey doodle winger for pretty cheap. No need to make one part of the “core”.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I want to trade Schmaltz because I’m tired of the inconsistency and injuries. We may have an internal replacement sooner than expected in Guenther.

We have too many players that are too similar. I know Schmaltz is besties with Keller but I think someone is going to eat it for the 14-game skid. You don’t get to suck that bad and still live in Arizona.

It’ll be Schmaltz and it’ll help change the culture. It makes me think of when LA moved Simmonds and such for Carter and Richards. I just don’t know yet what the return is for Schmaltz. I’d think a defenceman.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Easy. Get rid of Schmaltz. That’s the huge first step.

From there, plenty of options. Utilize the surplus picks to add players who can change the culture of this team.

We need players with heart, guts and balls. Give me a shot blocking machine like Mario Ferraro. Give me a Mack Truck with bad brakes like Tanner Jeannot. Give me an absolute snap case hot head like Sam Bennett. Give me an axe murderer like Ryan Lindgren. Give me a meathead that just grinds other teams down like Jake Middleton.

There are solutions to our problems out there that can be had if we play our cards right. We need to play our cards right. We need to change this culture.

I remember reading some really great articles and listening to some really great interviews with Dean Lombardi and Mike Futa. Two of my favorite hockey execs. Especially Lombardi, who I really like a lot and find to be super interesting and insightful. He’s the guy who came up with my favorite quote on draft prospects “I’d rather tame a tiger than have to paint stripes on a p***y cat”.

Anyway, I remember Lombardi and Futa talking about how they turned the corner with the Kings and became that dominant team. And it was all about finding “culture changers”. Those hard as nails players that took no prisoners and made no excuses.

That team was a nightmare to play against. Not just because of the skill. But because of the dirty rotten, low down meanness of them. And the tireless work ethic and absolute buy-in to the system.

The Coyotes do a lot of floating around. Those early teens Kings teams never did. They were vicious. And they embraced that as an organization.

Lombardi challenged Futa to find these culture changers in the draft. He challenged his pro scouts to find them around the pro leagues. And boy did they find them.

I feel like that’s the Bill Armstrong way. And those are the types of players he wants. But I want to see more of them. And I don’t want to wait.

This team is both soft and bad. I’m okay with one or the other. But both is too much to stomach.

Why? To change the culture.

Learn more here:

I hope that was a complete enough answer for you. I’m happy to get much more detailed. I can provide lists of names and plausible scenarios and reasons why it makes sense.

lets run through your want list:
ferraro - 25yo - 2+ years left 1G 13A -27
jeannot - 26 - 1+ left 6/6/ -11
bennett - 27 - 1+ left 14/16/ +13
lingren - 26 UFA 2/9/+15
middleton- 28 1+ left 7/13/-12

all except lingren are under contract, so how are you going to get these guys from their team after you trade all the 'soft guys' also none except bennett have any scoring so again once you get rid of everyone you dont like who is going to score. i mean obrien has better stats then some of these guys,
I love the last 'to change the culture', outside of keller, schamltz, and crouse no one was on the roster (full time) 3 years ago so the team is basically all new, add the team is the youngest in the nhl, they havent played together long enough to develop a culture.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm still of the opinion the Coyotes need a couple more drafts with 2 picks roughly in the top 10. I'm down for volume and you need all levels of gems but the diamonds are routinely found in the top 10. I prefer them to keep acquiring picks but start trading some of that quantity for quality whether that be higher first rounders or higher end prospects.

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
I'm still of the opinion the Coyotes need a couple more drafts with 2 picks roughly in the top 10. I'm down for volume and you need all levels of gems but the diamonds are routinely found in the top 10. I prefer them to keep acquiring picks but start trading some of that quantity for quality whether that be higher first rounders or higher end prospects.
What they really need is lottery luck. That’s the missing ingredient that we all know they’re never gonna get

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Schmaltz specifically. Why? Because he’s lazy and soft. He’s a trash time hero. He’s never there when we need him. He never goes inside. He plays a sleepy, gutless, listless game with no fire at all.
he also has been playing 1st line when he is a middle 6. geez not every player goes 'inside' thats why you have a mcbain, hayton etc

fine whatever you will hate on him forever, you say trash time hero yet he leads team in PP G and 2nd in PP A hardly trash time. he is 2nd in game winning goals again hardly trash time. on a team that takes penalties like they free he has 5 penalties total (only maccelli 3 is less)
so trade him for what? replace him with ?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
lets run through your want list:
ferraro - 25yo - 2+ years left 1G 13A -27
jeannot - 26 - 1+ left 6/6/ -11
bennett - 27 - 1+ left 14/16/ +13
lingren - 26 UFA 2/9/+15
middleton- 28 1+ left 7/13/-12

all except lingren are under contract, so how are you going to get these guys from their team after you trade all the 'soft guys' also none except bennett have any scoring so again once you get rid of everyone you dont like who is going to score. i mean obrien has better stats then some of these guys,
I love the last 'to change the culture', outside of keller, schamltz, and crouse no one was on the roster (full time) 3 years ago so the team is basically all new, add the team is the youngest in the nhl, they havent played together long enough to develop a culture.
You’re asking me how a team trades for a player on another team?

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
yeah, I don't want to trade Schmaltz...I'm just saying if we do trade him, it better be for a good package, because we need more 'good' players, not getting rid of them
i agree if going to trade him or any top 9F / 4D guy under contract it has to be (packaged) for a top 6 C or top pair. i just cant take this trade everyone for picks/prospects we have more than enough of both, teams that are always overhauling the roster will never develop

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
he also has been playing 1st line when he is a middle 6. geez not every player goes 'inside' thats why you have a mcbain, hayton etc
Ever watch a team that wins a lot in the playoffs?
fine whatever you will hate on him forever, you say trash time hero yet he leads team in PP G and 2nd in PP A hardly trash time. he is 2nd in game winning goals again hardly trash time. on a team that takes penalties like they free he has 5 penalties total (only maccelli 3 is less)
You think I’m saying specialty teams versus even strength scoring when I’m talking about trash time? I’m talking about when games and seasons are actually on the line.

i just cant take this trade everyone for picks/prospects we have more than enough of both, teams that are always overhauling the roster will never develop
Who said everyone? Dump Schmaltz.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
You’re asking me how a team trades for a player on another team?
your assuming their current team is willing to trade them. and none are under any term so what then its hope to resign or go out again and overpay on a trade to just repeat over.

Reactions: Edenjung

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
your assuming their current team is willing to trade them. and none are under any term so what then its hope to resign or go out again and overpay on a trade to just repeat over.
Some of those teams are fast approaching a salary cap disaster. Others are rebuilding or just starting to. That’s the point. And Schmaltz, who sucks, has two years left. So who cares.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Ever watch a team that wins a lot in the playoffs?

You think I’m saying specialty teams versus even strength scoring when I’m talking about trash time? I’m talking about when games and seasons are actually on the line.

Who said everyone? Dump Schmaltz.
how can you say he is trash time hero then - the team hasnt played meaningful games, so by your logic everyone on the team plays trash time.

dumping one guy will be your needed culture change?

all you seem to say is you hate his game and just want him gone.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I've come to believe in Bill's strategy to keep stacking good players on top of other good players.

I'd like to keep Schmaltz because maybe Guenther can replace him already, but then who replaces Guenther? We already have both and we're not good enough. We need Doan and But and Matikka in kachina before we can let Schmaltz go without suffering.

Sure we can give his cap and/or dollars to a UFA but that rarely works out well.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I've come to believe in Bill's strategy to keep stacking good players on top of other good players.

I'd like to keep Schmaltz because maybe Guenther can replace him already, but then who replaces Guenther? We already have both and we're not good enough. We need Doan and But and Matikka in kachina before we can let Schmaltz go without suffering.

Sure we can give his cap and/or dollars to a UFA but that rarely works out well.
Happily take another Kerfoot or Bjugstad over Schmaltz.

how can you say he is trash time hero then - the team hasnt played meaningful games, so by your logic everyone on the team plays trash time.

dumping one guy will be your needed culture change?
Why are you asking questions and ignoring the answers? What’s the point?
all you seem to say is you hate his game and just want him gone.
That’s all I’ve said? Interesting opinion.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt

on a team that takes penalties like they free he has 5 penalties total (only maccelli 3 is less)
With anything young and valuable.

Schmaltz is 28 and is probably exactly as good as he's ever going to be. He's been nearly a point per game player the last few years, but he's way off that pace now and I wouldn't bet on him getting back there. He's got 2 years left on his deal and I don't see us taking a big step forward as a team with him leading the way.

A contender might love him on their 2nd line, he could be a big upgrade to a 2nd PP unit. Flipping him it into a nice pick, maybe a young player, and a ton of cap space gives Bill Armstrong another $5m this summer to pursue other players, give Hayton a raise, etc.

Schmaltz is a good player, but I think you can find 50 points for $5m on the free agent market basically any summer.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Zucker, Boyd, Galchenyuk
The league minimum guys don’t count.

Schmaltz is 28 and is probably exactly as good as he's ever going to be. He's been nearly a point per game player the last few years, but he's way off that pace now and I wouldn't bet on him getting back there. He's got 2 years left on his deal and I don't see us taking a big step forward as a team with him leading the way.

A contender might love him on their 2nd line, he could be a big upgrade to a 2nd PP unit. Flipping him it into a nice pick, maybe a young player, and a ton of cap space gives Bill Armstrong another $5m this summer to pursue other players, give Hayton a raise, etc.

Schmaltz is a good player, but I think you can find 50 points for $5m on the free agent market basically any summer.
Not $5mil. It’s $8mil. He’s backloaded and we’re a budget team.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
How about a 3rd team broker to move Dumba to Edmonton @75% for Broberg?

We eat 50% and pay something like a 2024 5th to the broker. That seems about in line with what TB and Carolina got based on the cap/$ amount.

We could give Broberg a legit opportunity next year and use him for a Tucson playoff run.

Edmonton waived Gagner, so at 75% with their remaining cap space, Dumba could fit. Maybe we throw them back a pick a mid round pick as well?
I’m ok with that. Would also be open to something similar around Zucker to NYR for Jones. Id like to audition a young blueliner for PP2. I haven’t liked Moser in that role.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree. This is so completely not the right mix and in my opinion the rebuild is not on the rails with how they’ve played the last quarter of games.
Because of the tight pts. race I thought the teams fighting for a playoff berth and position starting playing "playoff hockey" earlier, and that has shown how far we are from being a contender, let alone a playoff team. We are on pace for 53 pts. Sorry but that is not good enough. BA has to make a hockey trade and bring in better players, and maybe even overpay for a FA. I no longer want these cheap over the hill UFA's.

The return for Hanifin sucks
That's what happens when the player has you by the balls.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We can't we trade a good player and get back a good player? We have winger strength but weak at C and D. The last thing I want though is trading a good player for picks only. We have to start making hockey trades, good hockey trades.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I want to keep Bjugstad and Kerfoot also. They aren’t part of the problem. Schmaltz is part of the problem. You can see the effort level on the ice. Bjugstad and Kerfoot have it.

I’ve watched almost every game Schmaltz has played for this team and I’m so sick of him. He has a ton of skill. And he’s capable of being very productive. And I honestly just don’t care at all. It’s very difficult to be a more useless 55pt player. As far as 50-60 players go, it’s hard to find a worse one.

I’ll take a 2nd rounder, thanks. Then I’ll add that to one of our other 2nds and get a decent defenseman who actually plays the game the right way. Ferraro, Lindgren, Ferraro, etc etc.

You can get a soft ass dipsey doodle winger for pretty cheap. No need to make one part of the “core”.
I think you are going a bit extreme here. Schmaltz has talent, but not first line talent where he plays. On a good team Schmaltz could slot in very well and provide secondary scoring. If BA can only get a 2nd. rounder for Schmaltz he should be fired. Schmaltz is worth a lot to a team that needs secondary scoring where Schmaltz is not required to carry a heavy load.

I hope by trading Schmaltz that Keller and Crouse show some fire. Either by upping their efforts and performance and give a crap meters. Or by demanding trades.

I want the team Bill is building. I hate the teams Chayka built. Hate them.
Funny. When Chayka was here he was God, now it's BA.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree with everything you said here and then you said "give Hayton a raise.":laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad