Speculation: Trade Deadline: March 8, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which UFAs do you think will be moved at the TDL?

• Total voters

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Don’t know if we need to add a 2nd. If RyJos negative value is 2nd+ and Keefoot is roughly a 2md then the 1st alone should be good.
I'm not sure if Kerfoot is worth a 2nd. I like him, but he's a smaller middle 6 forward. He may only be a low 2nd at best. I can't say for sure, but my impression is that his league value may be a touch lower than fan value. Either way, I think we add a pick or player of equal value.

Maybe a 3rd or 4th instead of a 2nd?

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Seems like Hanifin wants to play for a competitive team in the sunbelt. I hope Bill can convince him this summer that the Coyotes are exactly that.
BA is pretty persuasive, but you are hoping for a miracle...unless Hanifan's definition of competitive is "playing meaningful games" or "winning some meaningful games". I suspect it's more along the lines of "winning playoff rounds and being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
I don’t trade Kerfoot for only a 2nd. Don’t see the reason for it. He’s been great for us and we need leadership.

This is how I feel especially if we move Bjudstadt. Hayton seems to be stagnating a bit. I'm willing to give him one more season before I label him a 2C or a 3C. If he becomes a 40p defensively responsible center I will be very happy at this point. Anything else is gravy. But his lack of production this year sure makes Geekie hitting much much much more important.

I still think not re-signing Vermette and gifting a spot to Strome ruined Strome. That was the season we had zero center depth and Strome got his 8 games and got sent back down. But man he did not flash anything at all. The following season is when he bounced around a bit but ultimately looked bad playing 4th line under Tochett. He could have been more of a late bloomer, but we did not set him up for success by any means.

TLDR: Center depth is very important, and there is very little of it across the league. try to find a team who has an extra 2C/3C that we could trade for.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
BA is pretty persuasive, but you are hoping for a miracle...unless Hanifan's definition of competitive is "playing meaningful games" or "winning some meaningful games". I suspect it's more along the lines of "winning playoff rounds and being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.
Those are the current goals for the Coyotes this year and next. Hanifin will be signing an 8 year contract. Coyotes are low in the standings now but they're clearly building something impressive.

Tampa isn't building $hit. No disrespect to what they've accomplished.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Unless BA does something special we are years away from being competitive. No body wants to waste 2 years of a short career.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Not sure they feel they need more firepower though. Laf has finally emerged and they have one of the strongest top 6's in the league.

That being said they are going to need to move cap around. But I bet we could shake Schneider or Lindgren loose with a couple 2nds.
You're talking summer time trades, right?

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
This is how I feel especially if we move Bjudstadt. Hayton seems to be stagnating a bit. I'm willing to give him one more season before I label him a 2C or a 3C. If he becomes a 40p defensively responsible center I will be very happy at this point. Anything else is gravy. But his lack of production this year sure makes Geekie hitting much much much more important.

I still think not re-signing Vermette and gifting a spot to Strome ruined Strome. That was the season we had zero center depth and Strome got his 8 games and got sent back down. But man he did not flash anything at all. The following season is when he bounced around a bit but ultimately looked bad playing 4th line under Tochett. He could have been more of a late bloomer, but we did not set him up for success by any means.

TLDR: Center depth is very important, and there is very little of it across the league. try to find a team who has an extra 2C/3C that we could trade for.
100%.

He was a remarkably mismanaged and poorly developed asset.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

I can't see Bjugstad being moved this season. He's huge, plays a near perfect 3c game, and seems to be a fan of what we're doing here. I'd prefer to keep him long term.

I want to see a Hayton - Doan line. I like Hayton's potential still, though I think we'll be seeing a player who caps around 50 points in his best seasons (about a 10 point drop from my draft expectations, and he's been more physically involved which has been a nice surprise). Still solid, but I'm also open to trading him for the right return. He is only 23, and the only thing most of us want to see him do is provide 2nd line level offense.

My concern is that Geekie is the slightly better version of his brother, which makes him a low end 2c insead of a 3c. I like the Geekies, wanted to being Morgan in over the summer because I think his style of play fits our system well. We need 1 more sure fire top 6 center, Celebrini would be great but feels unlikely. I see Celebeini as our Hischier (different ways of playing the game, and I think ultimately Hischier is more defensively responsible where Celebrini will be more gifted offensively). Got off on a tanget there. Point is, I think you were insinuating that we need another center, especially if we move a Hayton or Bjugstad, and I think you're right. I think we'll be addressing that need through the draft. We just need large, responsible stop gaps until we have players ready to step into those roles.

A lot of people want to move Schmaltz, I think thats a mistake. Not because Keller could throw a fit, if thats the case, move him too. I think it's a mistake because we have no one to replace him, and still need his scoring. Let him shift down the lineup until we can replace him.

Keller - Cooley - Guenther
Maccelli - Center - Right Wing
Crouse - Hayton - Schmaltz
Left Wing - McBain - Bjugstad

Carcone, Zucker, Dumba, Brown, Stecher, and Valimaki can all be moved or let go, but I'm not expecting anything we care about coming back for any of them, or even care if they get moved or not. We just need to wait on the drafts to happen where we have grabbed a ton of picks, and let our important picks develop into the roles they were drafted for. I expect all of our big trades are done unless someone out there becomes available, and we NEED a player that brings their skill set.

If I'm BA, I'm content to let the roster sit as is minus some minor changes that help our future vs our today roster.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I want to send Schmaltz to NYR with retention for Schneider
I would love for that to happen. But I don’t think Arizona will retain on Schmaltz. It goes against their philosophy on cap v cash. He’s so incredibly backloaded on his deal that they’d have to retain a buck seventy five in cash for every dollar in cap value. I just don’t see them doing that.

Elliotte Friedman is connecting Bjugstad and Kerfoot with the Avs. He also mentioned they were in on Tanev and might want some goalie insurance. That makes me think immediately of Dumba and Vejmelka.

Colorado also has a first but lacks a 2nd. And Friedman made an astute observation about our stockpile of draft capital versus our remaining number of reserves:

35B963FE-23DE-491B-9447-A5C6FFDBA226.jpeg

Reactions: Grimes and MIGs Dog

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
We aren’t getting a 1st or Bowen Byram this weekend. If Kerfoot goes I’m expecting to be underwhelmed by the return. And I like kerfoot alot

Reactions: lanky

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not sure they feel they need more firepower though. Laf has finally emerged and they have one of the strongest top 6's in the league.

That being said they are going to need to move cap around. But I bet we could shake Schneider or Lindgren loose with a couple 2nds.
Widely reported they are looking for a top 6 RW. Schmaltz fits the bill.

Schneider is the 3rd RHD on the roster stuck behind Fox and Trouba.

Maybe add Dumba to the deal to fill the #6 spot on their D.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Widely reported they are looking for a top 6 RW. Schmaltz fits the bill.

Schneider is the 3rd RHD on the roster stuck behind Fox and Trouba.

Maybe add Dumba to the deal to fill the #6 spot on their D.
I would love it. But I just don’t know if they have any bad contracts they could dump on us and I really don’t see us retaining on Schmaltz.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
We aren’t getting a 1st or Bowen Byram this weekend. If Kerfoot goes I’m expecting to be underwhelmed by the return. And I like kerfoot alot
BA doesn't seem to be in the business of underwhelming deals. If he does not get something worthwhile, I don't expect he makes the move. Kerfoot is more valuable than an underwhelming deal.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Those are the current goals for the Coyotes this year and next. Hanifin will be signing an 8 year contract. Coyotes are low in the standings now but they're clearly building something impressive.

Tampa isn't building $hit. No disrespect to what they've accomplished.
I suspect Hanifan wants to go where something special is already built where the goal is to play meaningful games in mid-May and June.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
BA doesn't seem to be in the business of underwhelming deals. If he does not get something worthwhile, I don't expect he makes the move. Kerfoot is more valuable than an underwhelming deal.
I like to think how he handled Chych (and OEL before that) has developed him a reputation around the league as someone who has a price and is not afraid to stick it. That's not to say he won't negotiate, the shear amount of picks he has proves that's not the case. Just saying when GM's come a calling they now know this isn't the AZ of old where you can get whatever you want at rock bottom prices so to speak. He may not be able to rob people (honestly that's probably a good thing) but he ain't playing that low ball game either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad