Speculation: Trade deadline - March 2 - 3:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Bernier being part of that deal makes zero sense, for either team. Not advocating it either way, but Reimer would make more sense in that scenario. A backup who can be counted on for spot starts.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
holy crap talk about nonsense.

We are relying on Rinne because he is the best goalie in the league right now, and when someone says we are "over-reliant" on him that doesn't mean we are playing him too much it means we are not scoring enough or playing defense well enough and counting on Rinne to bail us out.

I will say it again with emphasis..

Carter Hutton is not hurting this team or its playoff chances one bit. Zilch. Nada. Squat.

We would not be playing Rinne less with a different backup....

No I'm saying we're over-reliant on Rinne because if/when he hits a bad patch this season our back-up flat SUCKS. There are no two ways about it, Hutton IS a guaranteed loss at this point. He gives up poor goals time and time again and you won't win any games in the league if you do that consistently.

It's not nonsense, with a lot of guys getting injured now we'll be relying on Pekka even more and I'm not saying he won't pull through for us because he has done it before. BUT someone was mentioning what he perceived as some of the weaknesses of this current roster and our back-up situation is a definite weakness. If you can't see it then I'm sorry but you're blind or must think Hutton is another player than I do.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
No I'm saying we're over-reliant on Rinne because if/when he hits a bad patch this season our back-up flat SUCKS. There are no two ways about it, Hutton IS a guaranteed loss at this point. He gives up poor goals time and time again and you won't win any games in the league if you do that consistently.

It's not nonsense, with a lot of guys getting injured now we'll be relying on Pekka even more and I'm not saying he won't pull through for us because he has done it before. BUT someone was mentioning what he perceived as some of the weaknesses of this current roster and our back-up situation is a definite weakness. If you can't see it then I'm sorry but you're blind or must think Hutton is another player than I do.

Let me ask you this. How many goalies would not be rusty playing once every 4 weeks? I'm one of those who do think that Hutton's starts are games that are losses coming, but I don't put the game squarely on him. The team plays drastically different under him compared to Pekka.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Let me ask you this. How many goalies would not be rusty playing once every 4 weeks? I'm one of those who do think that Hutton's starts are games that are losses coming, but I don't put the game squarely on him. The team plays drastically different under him compared to Pekka.

...because he's prone to soft goals at bad times.

It's nothing personal. He's not the first goaltender that was exposed when he wasn't playing for Trotz\Korn. He was an average AHL goaltender when we signed him, he was put into a good situation where he was set up to succeed last season, and now that situation has passed and he's shown to be a mediocre backup. It is what it is.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
How We win The Cup

1. To Toronto : Seth Jones, 2015 1st, Colton Sissons, Taylor Beck, Stalberg
To Nash: Phil Kessel, Tyler Bozak, Bernier

To Phx: Austin Watson , 2015 2nd
To Nash: Antoine Vermette

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Smith
Wilson-Fisher-Kessel
Bozak-Vermette-Neal
Jarnkrok-Gaustad-Jokinen

Arcobello, Cullen, Nystrom Extras

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
How We win The Cup

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Smith
Wilson-Fisher-Kessel
Bozak-Vermette-Neal
Jarnkrok-Gaustad-Jokinen

If anything, it would be Reimer, not Bernier in the deal. I don't see how Toronto takes that either way. It's giving up two thirds of their top line.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Rinne is not the kind of goalie who hits a "bad patch" such that you bench him and play his backup for a couple of weeks. Rinne is a goalie you let play himself through a bad patch.

But, that said, if Hutton got to start every night for a while, I believe, as last year showed, that he is as capable as you could ask a backup to be. His record last year was welll ablove .500 and truth be told if we had played him and not tried to let Rinne work the rust off we might have made the playoffs as Rinne had a few stinkers right after he got back.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Hi guys, Flames fan here. Just curious if a deal around Jiri Hudler would be enticing from a NSH point of view. He's currently having a career year (38 points in 39 games, which actually ties him with Forsberg) for Calgary, and while most Flames fans cringe at the idea of trading the guy, I wouldn't mind seeing management sell high on him. There was some talk about a Hudler-Ellis swap earlier this season on the trade board, but not much discussion came of it. His current contract is only a 4.000M cap hit and he's signed until the end of next season, which for his current production is obviously a pretty sweet deal.

I'm not exactly sure what Nashville's needs are right now, but I'm guessing another offensive piece upfront is in the cards. With the Flames lack of young D outside of Brodie, a guy like Ellis could really help the team moving forward. I also see some discussion in this thread about an upgrade to your backup goalie position. I wouldn't be opposed to a Ramo-Hutton swap if it helped get a deal done. Maybe something along the lines of:

:nashville
Jiri Hudler
Karri Ramo*
Ladislav Smid

:flames
Ryan Ellis
Carter Hutton
Austin Watson

*note: Ramo suffered a minor injury last Flames games, but isn't expected to be out longterm.

Preds add a dependable offensive winger who can play either side, get a realistic backup to take some pressure off Rinne, and Smid is more-or-less just a throw-in to replace Ellis' presence on the blueline that can slot in the 5/6/7 D position. Flames add a young D man on a great contract (plus we desperately need the right hand shot) as well as Austin Watson, a former first-rounder with size and a goal-scoring touch who also adds another much needed right hand shot. I'm not sure I'd do it from a Flames POV, but I understand Ellis, while potentially available, isn't going to be had for scraps. The Flames also have an abundance of cap space, so if a cap dump coming back is necessary for the Preds, it likely wouldn't be an issue. This is just sort of an offer to get the ball rolling, other players, prospects and picks could be added to balance things out. I'll also throw Markus Granlund's name into the mix, as Calgary has a wealth of centers. However, he's still a solid young player with room to grow, but is being somewhat roadblocked by positional depth (sort of like Ellis for you guys).

Like I said, giving up Huds and Ramo is a tough pill to swallow for the Flames, but if it gives the organization an opportunity to meet some pressing needs, I think it's worth considering at least. I'm still not sure I'd pull the trigger as a Flames fan, but I'm curious how Preds fans feel about the offer. Let me know what you guys think.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
How We win The Cup

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Smith
Wilson-Fisher-Kessel
Bozak-Vermette-Neal
Jarnkrok-Gaustad-Jokinen

assuming Ellis' knee injury is bad, we do not trade Seth Jones, period. He probably wasnt going to be traded anyway, but with no Ellis, Jones becomes completely untouchable

and at the risk of beating a dead horse, we dont need a backup goalie. trading assets for one would be eight kinds of stupid.

:deadhorse:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Hi guys, Flames fan here. Just curious if a deal around Jiri Hudler would be enticing from a NSH point of view. He's currently having a career year (38 points in 39 games, which actually ties him with Forsberg) for Calgary, and while most Flames fans cringe at the idea of trading the guy, I wouldn't mind seeing management sell high on him. There was some talk about a Hudler-Ellis swap earlier this season on the trade board, but not much discussion came of it. His current contract is only a 4.000M cap hit and he's signed until the end of next season, which for his current production is obviously a pretty sweet deal.

I'm not exactly sure what Nashville's needs are right now, but I'm guessing another offensive piece upfront is in the cards. With the Flames lack of young D outside of Brodie, a guy like Ellis could really help the team moving forward. I also see some discussion in this thread about an upgrade to your backup goalie position. I wouldn't be opposed to a Ramo-Hutton swap if it helped get a deal done. Maybe something along the lines of:

:nashville
Jiri Hudler
Karri Ramo*
Ladislav Smid

:flames
Ryan Ellis
Carter Hutton
Austin Watson

*note: Ramo suffered a minor injury last Flames games, but isn't expected to be out longterm.

Preds add a dependable offensive winger who can play either side, get a realistic backup to take some pressure off Rinne, and Smid is more-or-less just a throw-in to replace Ellis' presence on the blueline that can slot in the 5/6/7 D position. Flames add a young D man on a great contract (plus we desperately need the right hand shot) as well as Austin Watson, a former first-rounder with size and a goal-scoring touch who also adds another much needed right hand shot. I'm not sure I'd do it from a Flames POV, but I understand Ellis, while potentially available, isn't going to be had for scraps. The Flames also have an abundance of cap space, so if a cap dump coming back is necessary for the Preds, it likely wouldn't be an issue. This is just sort of an offer to get the ball rolling, other players, prospects and picks could be added to balance things out. I'll also throw Markus Granlund's name into the mix, as Calgary has a wealth of centers. However, he's still a solid young player with room to grow, but is being somewhat roadblocked by positional depth (sort of like Ellis for you guys).

Like I said, giving up Huds and Ramo is a tough pill to swallow for the Flames, but if it gives the organization an opportunity to meet some pressing needs, I think it's worth considering at least. I'm still not sure I'd pull the trigger as a Flames fan, but I'm curious how Preds fans feel about the offer. Let me know what you guys think.

considering Ellis likely blew his knee out last night, id think this deal wont happen

Steven

May 10, 2009
considering Ellis likely blew his knee out last night, id think this deal wont happen

I'm aware of Ellis' injury, but not the extent of it. This move would be in Calgary's longterm interest anyways, not just this season. Point being, so long as his injury isn't career threatening, it wouldn't make much difference to me.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
man that doesn't look like anything that would cause an injury. It wasn't a hard cut and he was at a very low speed. Here's hoping it was just a twist.

He's not had a history of knee issues has he?

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I'm aware of Ellis' injury, but not the extent of it. This move would be in Calgary's longterm interest anyways, not just this season. Point being, so long as his injury isn't career threatening, it wouldn't make much difference to me.

Ellis injury and value aside, Poile won't be messing with the D.
They're signed long-term.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't mean this as snarky, but did you have a good view of what might've happened exactly?

NVM: I found this from the TV feed. http://gfycat.com/LeadingBiodegradableHairstreak

no, I just saw waht was on TV and that he hobbled off not putting weight on it. I wondered if it wasnt one of those injuries where the skate catches a rut and the foot stops while the upper leg keeps going... I am a "expect the worst" type if you havent figured out from reading my posts... I'll be pleasantly surprised if its not serious..

and I dont see us trading away any of our D core this season, in any case

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
How We win The Cup

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Smith
Wilson-Fisher-Kessel
Bozak-Vermette-Neal
Jarnkrok-Gaustad-Jokinen

What does the D look like if you make those moves. No thank you!

I do like the Vermette trade however. That makes way to much sense it probably will not happen.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
but he wasn't moving at a high speed so I don't know about it being a grooved, or rutted skate blade.

Most of the time that will happen when a player makes a quick change at a higher speed. He was just kind of gliding and turned.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
but he wasn't moving at a high speed so I don't know about it being a grooved, or rutted skate blade.

Most of the time that will happen when a player makes a quick change at a higher speed. He was just kind of gliding and turned.

To me it looked like he went into a shot blocking stance and then when he turned to face the luck going into the corner his knee gave out at a bad angle. Judging by his reaction and the fact he couldn't skate of the ice tells me it is probably pretty serious. Something we have all learned from watching hockey for years is that these guys are all pretty damn tough. When you see one of them struggling like that and then carried back into the dressing room it isn't a good sign. I'll be happy if he is able to make it back for the playoffs honestly. Hopefully I'm wrong and he will be back sooner.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't think you can equate level of pain with recovery time. I've tweaked a shoulder and it didn't hurt that much at the time but took almost 9 months to recover, on the flip side, I've bruised bones that felt like they were broke and been back on the ice the next week.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
If Ellis is out long term I could see DP going after Zidlicky. He would fit right into Ellis's spot on the PP and is a capable D-man. I'm not sure what it would cost though I don't think it would be to much.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
i think Poile wants to make a move for Kessel. And now that we are much improved, I doubt Kessel wouldn't waive to come here.

That would be icing on the cake but I don't want to see Fiala or Aberg moved. I have not a clue what the offer would be. But defending Kessel? Sounds like Poile wants Kessel in his corner if he is trying to grab him.

What a win that would be for us.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
i think Poile wants to make a move for Kessel. And now that we are much improved, I doubt Kessel wouldn't waive to come here.

That would be icing on the cake but I don't want to see Fiala or Aberg moved. I have not a clue what the offer would be. But defending Kessel? Sounds like Poile wants Kessel in his corner if he is trying to grab him.

What a win that would be for us.

DP could just be backing a player he knows from team USA as well. I honestly see no reason for DP to make a huge trade like this would have to be. It would take a top notch roster player++ to get him and that just seems stupid when your team is number one in the NHL right now. Who knows though, stranger things have happend I guess.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
DP could just be backing a player he knows from team USA as well. I honestly see no reason for DP to make a huge trade like this would have to be. It would take a top notch roster player++ to get him and that just seems stupid when your team is number one in the NHL right now. Who knows though, stranger things have happend I guess.

I don't know ... everyone knows Kessel's drawbacks (contract, 100 ft streaky player, temperament, etc) ... I think it will take Jones + Stalberg & probably a first rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad